Steakhouse "service charge" and tipping

ccNVcpl

We've been to the steakhouse and had tremendous service. That equals extra tip. We've also been when it would have been better if I'd just acted like a waitress and gotten drink refills etc. That equals no extra tip.

While I understand that the $30 p/p is a "service charge", I also read that most diners also leave a tip. I'm just wondering what level to tip at, given no base price to judge %.

The tip IS included. Many leave an extra $10 or $20 cash. ken

Yes, the tip is included. Figure it's the standard 15%, but if you're a 20% tipper, you're free to add something.

Just remember you've also already tipped for your meal in the MDR as well, which comes to a bit under $2 per person.

If you feel that the service warrants an additional tip let the dining experience be your guide.

I've left $10... I've left $20 additional. I've never experienced a dinner at one of the Steak Houses that didn't deserve an additional gratuity.

:)

We eat in the specialty restaurant one night during our cruise. Tip amount depends on the service. Just like if you went out to eat at any other restaurant. However, one is not obligated to leave a tip at any restaurant. So, you don't have to leave one on the ship either.

I think the $30 fee they charge is plenty of $$ for what you are getting. So for a couple it is $60 to have a nice dinner in a specialty steakhouse. For that $60, you are getting a little better personal service and a meal that is a notch above what you get in the dining room. I think it is worth the $60 but not any more than that.

I think the $30 fee they charge is plenty of $$ for what you are getting. So for a couple it is $60 to have a nice dinner in a specialty steakhouse. For that $60, you are getting a little better personal service and a meal that is a notch above what you get in the dining room. I think it is worth the $60 but not any more than that.

Not to mention you've also already "paid" for your meal in the MDR as well.

We have always left an extra $20.00 couple. This last time, last month, there were 4 of us. Each couple left $20.00 extra. We were on the dream. I don't know where the person lives said $60.00 for the meal. When we go to a nice place, it is always over $60.00. We have always had excellent service. No complaints and Great Food. On the Freedom it was Awesome.

Yes, the tip is included. Figure it's the standard 15%, but if you're a 20% tipper, you're free to add something.

Just remember you've also already tipped for your meal in the MDR as well, which comes to a bit under $2 per person.

Interesting point: when they sign you into Anytime Dining

your tip money is "diverted" to your specific Anytime Dining Servers. Do you suppose that when they sign you into the Steakhouse, your tip money is similarly diverted to your specific Steakhouse servers? ken

For some reason they will not tell how much of the 30 is the tip.

The service is excellent but you have no clue how much of a tip the servers are already getting.

The one time we have done this we gave an extra $ 10 but if we do this again do not know whether we would tip extra.

If we like our tablemates and servers in the main DR do not see much reason to spend an extra $ 60 for dinner.

For some reason they will not tell how much of the 30 is the tip.

The service is excellent but you have no clue how much of a tip the servers are already getting.

They don't tell me how much of my fare goes to fuel either, but I just pay it.

The tip is included in the fee.

````~~~~~~

They don't tell me how much of my fare goes to fuel either, but I just pay it.

The tip is included in the fee.

````~~~~~~

Not a valid comparison.

Any restaurant I ever go to I know the cost of the dinner and what I am tipping.

In the specialty restaurant you have no way of knowing if tip is 25% of the 30 or 10%.

That makes a difference in what the tip amount would be.

Any restaurant I ever go to I know the cost of the dinner and what I am tipping.

In the specialty restaurant you have no way of knowing if tip is 25% of the 30 or 10%.

That makes a difference in what the tip amount would be.

Try eating in Canada or the UK where the V.A.T. is included. I don't sit and wonder. The V.A.T. is included. I pay my bill and leave, and never think about it again.

Thanks for the input everyone. I suspect we'll leave something, given the anticipated excellent service.

Now, should I leave it as cash? Or just on the S&S card? Given the concept of distributed tips, I'm not sure which is easier for fairness.

Thanks for the input everyone. I suspect we'll leave something, given the anticipated excellent service.

Now, should I leave it as cash? Or just on the S&S card? Given the concept of distributed tips, I'm not sure which is easier for fairness.

I simply scribble an amount on the conveniently provided line on the check (why do they call it a CHECK, when it is far from that)!

Tom

It's totally up to you. The standard tip is included so if you get standard service, no extra tip is necessary. If you get exceptional service you'll probably feel like giving an exceptional tip - it's all up to you, as there is no guideline offered. :)

It's totally up to you. The standard tip is included so if you get standard service, no extra tip is necessary. If you get exceptional service you'll probably feel like giving an exceptional tip - it's all up to you, as there is no guideline offered. :)

dingo, since when did you sit on the fence? :eek::eek:

Archived