Carrying wine aboard policy on NCL?

bose

Stupid question here.. If you bring say 2 bottles on and get to the table to pay the corkage fee. Do they actually open the bottles? Should we be prepared for that? Only because I don't want my champagne opened yet. ;) Or that we should bring on a little wine opener?

Thank You!

Just to clarify - "corkage" fee has nothing to do with the cork in your wine bottle. You'd pay it for box wine, or if your bottle has a screw top (and yes, there are some fine screw-top wines).

A "corkage" fee is charged by the ship to patrons bringing their own wines for consumption and is considered a convenience charge. Many US restaurants do the same.

And, for those asking, I must assume you are new here at the NCL boards. You would serve yourself well to scan through the postings, and you may find answers to other questions you did not know you had.

The problem with using search, is that NCL policies change often and what was available or allowed last year or even last month might not be available now.

(...just sayin')

The problem with using search, is that NCL policies change often and what was available or allowed last year or even last month might not be available now.

(...just sayin')

Could you please give some examples of policies that have recently or often changed (other than the smoking issue)? I can't recall anything else worth mentioning. :confused:

Could you please give some examples of policies that have recently or often changed (other than the smoking issue)? I can't recall anything else worth mentioning. :confused:

The dining packages have changed three times since we booked our cruise.

When we first booked they offered a 2 and 3 night/different restaurant dinner package that I really wish I would have taken advantage of, but when I went in to book it, it had disappeared and the only option was to purchase the package where you ate in specialty venues every night.

By the time I had talked to my husband and we had decided we could do that, I went in and the price had risen.

Now, they are offering the UDP - I guess I cannot really call that a change, I think its only a promotional offer that at some point will be retired, but if I had searched for info, I think old threads would be very confusing.

Ironically, this very post is an example of possible confusion. NCL's current info on corkage is as follows:

Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

**this current info contradicts several earlier posts on this thread

I am not trying to be contrary or difficult Demonyte, I love these boards and they are incredibly helpful, but I have actually gotten some old advice here from doing a search that led to confusion a few times (once on port info in Santorini, another on shore excursions offered, and one clarification question on NCL discounts/incentives being offered). So now I just ask the question and ignore any negative comments I get (doesn't happen often - everyone is usually very kind and amazing with their advice).

Edited by LadyStone50

(...just sayin')

The above was in response to:

And, for those asking, I must assume you are new here at the NCL boards. You would serve yourself well to scan through the postings, and you may find answers to other questions you did not know you had."

Actually, I did not use the dreaded "search" word. Only suggest that someone new scan down through postings from the past week or so and lots of things would come up.

Edited by garycarla

Maam ,

That age old adage is such a truism.

Buyer beware.

It is my humble opinion seeing this cruise line for decades now chaging owner ships too , that it is marketing what it may, can, and shall ..not in the Consumers Best Interest but the firms. Which is a normalcy too. But the way going about it to me is shame.

I did notice before where I think is the nicest Island Chain on earth, Bermuda, this NCL line charged passengers for 3 Ports of Call. Ok you may say.. But the Government of Bermuda only charges one set fee which includes all Three Bermudian Ports each on a different Bermuda Island. Now they are calling TIPS ( To Insure Prompt Services) a Service FEE((YIKES?))!

I would not take any wine aboard and expect to consume it in any cabin, or public area without a LARGE Corkage Fee. It is to produce consumption from Ship Stock thusly making more revenues, Tips , and profits.

On the So Called NEW Grouped Dining, beverage all in one Package now at Hundreds of Dollars. Marketing is showing a limited time to BUY that. It looks in numbers about 20 Percent offered on the Cruises shall purchase it . The firm NCLH :OTC knows to the Lincoln PLATED Penny what is going to cost for each Cruise, how much will be spent, made, and provided too. Increasing revenues does help the Bottom Line_______>.

Like on any Ship. The Captain sets the Time used aboard. In the Policy it is set by the Parent Firm.

People should write the Chairman on that as I never received any eMail, Landmail, and or FAX back from the staff, employees, and/or Travel Agents too..

Have you?:eek:

The dining packages have changed three times since we booked our cruise.

When we first booked they offered a 2 and 3 night/different restaurant dinner package that I really wish I would have taken advantage of, but when I went in to book it, it had disappeared and the only option was to purchase the package where you ate in specialty venues every night.

By the time I had talked to my husband and we had decided we could do that, I went in and the price had risen.

Now, they are offering the UDP - I guess I cannot really call that a change, I think its only a promotional offer that at some point will be retired, but if I had searched for info, I think old threads would be very confusing.

Ironically, this very post is an example of possible confusion. NCL's current info on corkage is as follows:

Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

**this current info contradicts several earlier posts on this thread

I am not trying to be contrary or difficult Demonyte, I love these boards and they are incredibly helpful, but I have actually gotten some old advice here from doing a search that led to confusion a few times (once on port info in Santorini, another on shore excursions offered, and one clarification question on NCL discounts/incentives being offered). So now I just ask the question and ignore any negative comments I get (doesn't happen often - everyone is usually very kind and amazing with their advice).

Dear ripjerry95,

OM Goodness. Is everything that much more in NY and NYC?

In New Jersey at that California Corp. you mentioned which does have wonderful and well priced products to the consumer.. Here in New Jersey it is only Two Buck Chuck.. And no Deposits on bottles, cans, etc.. So your cost basis vs 3 is more than 33 % less here in the Garden State.. :eek:

It may pay ya to come on over and load up ..for your personal consumption.

I have been aboard ships leaving from our mutual ports of call here and the Canadians used to buy cases . The Taxes paid at the Border Crossing are a lot less than the costs in each Province. I wonder what NCL does with that now?

I buy the 3 buck chuck from trader Joe's so I don't feel so bad about the 15$ fee. Really not bad wines either.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Maam ,

Buyer beware.

It is my humble opinion seeing this cruise line for decades now chaging owner ships too , that it is marketing what it may, can, and shall ..not in the Consumers Best Interest but the firms. Which is a normalcy too. But the way going about it to me is shame.

I did notice before where I think is the nicest Island Chain on earth, Bermuda, this NCL line charged passengers for 3 Ports of Call. Ok you may say.. But the Government of Bermuda only charges one set fee which includes all Three Bermudian Ports each on a different Bermuda Island. Now they are calling TIPS ( To Insure Prompt Services) a Service FEE((YIKES?))!

I would not take any wine aboard and expect to consume it in any cabin, or public area without a LARGE Corkage Fee. It is to produce consumption from Ship Stock thusly making more revenues, Tips , and profits.

On the So Called NEW Grouped Dining, beverage all in one Package now at Hundreds of Dollars. Marketing is showing a limited time to BUY that. It looks in numbers about 20 Percent offered on the Cruises shall purchase it . The firm NCLH :OTC knows to the Lincoln PLATED Penny what is going to cost for each Cruise, how much will be spent, made, and provided too. Increasing revenues does help the Bottom Line_______>.

Like on any Ship. The Captain sets the Time used aboard. In the Policy it is set by the Parent Firm.

People should write the Chairman on that as I never received any eMail, Landmail, and or FAX back from the staff, employees, and/or Travel Agents too..

Well, I have tried to read this post multiple times. Still not sure what you are trying to day. What is it are you saying people should write the Chairman about?

Color me confused.

First, scan down the posts on the first page. There are often multiple threads with the same information. Then, if you use the search function, just check the post dates. This thread was started in 2010 so if in searching I came across it I would probably ignore any of the older answers assuming things may have changed in 4 years.

This is our first NCL cruise and we were somewhat disappointed in their policy regarding bringing wine on board, then I said to my husband, well, less things to pack in our. carry on! Will just get their wine package.

Marg

I love it! I can get better wine for less money! Grinds sailed Carnival, and were disappointed they were only allowed 2 bottles.

Replying to a PP, 2 buck chuck is $4 in NJ.

I'm with garycarla on this one. I have no idea what you are trying to say either.

Maam ,

Buyer beware.

This is our first NCL cruise and we were somewhat disappointed in their policy regarding bringing wine on board, then I said to my husband, well, less things to pack in our. carry on! Will just get their wine package.

Marg

We love their wine package, Viva Vino and get it every cruise now. So much easier than lugging all that wine... of course it would be easier we could just bring a fridge full but hey... not complaining. :p