Carrying wine aboard policy on NCL?

bose

:D

I agree. I've searched the threads and have asked a question that has been asked and answered for a couple of reasons. 1. There may be newer information. 2. I like hearing different perspectives. If a new post isn't created then it's not likely that a group of new people will add their opinions or knowledge.

What I can never understand is why people who don't want to read a post about the same questions over and over bother to look into a thread about things like can you bring on your own wine or when is formal night? If they aren't interested then why not skim right past the thread?

I say ignore the search, ask your questions and laugh at anyone who bashes you for it!

I totally agree. I feel like some people scold you if you ask a question that has been asked before. Who does it hurt????????????

Edited by GeriC

:D

I agree. I've searched the threads and have asked a question that has been asked and answered for a couple of reasons. 1. There may be newer information. 2. I like hearing different perspectives. If a new post isn't created then it's not likely that a group of new people will add their opinions or knowledge.

What I can never understand is why people who don't want to read a post about the same questions over and over bother to look into a thread about things like can you bring on your own wine or when is formal night? If they aren't interested then why not skim right past the thread?

I say ignore the search, ask your questions and laugh at anyone who bashes you for it!

AAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!

I will search occasionally, and most of the time, I can't find it, so i post a new question. I'm with you. If someone doesn't want to read the thread, feel free to move on.

NCL Alcohol Consumption Policy is not "clear".

First, it suggests that wine can be sent directly to the ship, which if true, would be more convenient that bringing wine on board... but even though their policy seems to allow this, I've been told that in fact you cannot send wine directly to the ship but have to carry it on board. So if anyone from NCL land frequents this Cruise Critic, what's the "deal"?... and if you cannot ship wine directly to the ship, the please change your policy to reflect same. If you can, than what is the "procedure"?

Next, what I've been told is that if you carry wine on board, you declare the wine, which is then "labelled" with your name. But it isn't clear whether or not NCL stores the wine for you or the wine is delivered to your room w/ your luggage or you have to pick it up somewhere on the ship. If NCL stores it for you, is it stored in a temperature controlled room/area. If you simply keep the wine in your room, then I assume you bring it to dinner, etc. and then you pay the corkage fee, i.e., you are charged a corkage fee for each bottle but you are refunded the fee for each bottle you do not consume on board- at least that is what I was told. But if NCL does not store the wine, then how do they know if you used/consumed all of the bottles?

btw, my wife and I will be sailing on the Pearl/Alaska Cruise embarking from Seattle on July 6 and returning to Seattle on July 13.

Although this is a four year old thread you just revived, this is one item that has not changed much in that time. As posted on the new link, NCL's policy really is pretty clear. Better to carry it on, pay the fee and get a refund at the end for any unused. I can't imagine having any wine left!;)

I see this is your first post here so a hearty welcome!!!

And I just want to mention that fishbait (Robin) is the nicest and most informed person on these boards. Never ever see her complain about anything just always helpful. Thank you robin just in case someone missed saying it to you.

Aww thanks Geri.. I've done my fair share of complaining on here, lol, but I do try to help people out. People have always been nice and helpful to me, so want to return the favor.

And I didn't realize this thread was from 2010 lol..

Robin

NCL policy is to charge 15 corkage fee for a normal bottle, and 30 for a 1.5l one. No different than a restaurant corkage fee. You to bring the wine with you.

You can deposit the wine with a restaurant (and access it from other restaurants), or have it in your cabin.

In the first day of the cruise NCL folks will sell a 25% discounted package of 5 bottles of wine. You get 5 "coupons" for wine - brand labeled - that you can redeem in any restaurant.

The price for a Black Opal Cabernet, or a decent Malbec, will be about $20-24. Given the corkage fee, and that the rating on the wines is a 84-86, I will not bother with carrying my own wine.

If you are particular about your own brand, or drink only cuveet brut, then bring your own and pay the corkage fee.

Now, we are humans, and after paying 3k for a cruise for the family, we try to save 15 on the wine.

If so, see you in the naughty room. Will be the guy with the pink shirt. Wave at me, we can talk more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Four year old thread brought back to life.

As said....

unlimited # of bottles (some others limit this)

available at every port

$15 per regular bottle

Does not matter where you drink it

You can buy decent wine in the $26-$30 a bottle. Packages are available that will take a few dollars off each bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone:

New to NCL. I read in this thread that if you do not drink all of your wine you can be refunded the $15 corkage fee. Where and when would I do this? I am sailing on the Breeze if that makes a difference!

Thank you for your help!!!

Hi everyone:

New to NCL. I read in this thread that if you do not drink all of your wine you can be refunded the $15 corkage fee. Where and when would I do this? I am sailing on the Breeze if that makes a difference!

I think you need to double-check which cruise line you are sailing on - there is no such ship as Norwegian Breeze!

Just thought I'd share our wine experience on our first NCL cruise. Before boarding the ship my daughter and I did some shopping in Seattle and came upon a wine store. We had cruised Princess years earlier and we were able to bring wine onboard. We were both eager to try the local wine and I mentioned that I had read that we would have to pay $15 corkage fee. No problem we were willing to do so. We packed our bags and put the wine in our suitcases. We walked from the Marriott Waterfront Hotel and did not want to carry it so the bottles were in our bags wrapped in our clothes. Needless to say everyones bags arrived in our rooms except mine and my daughters. Cabin Stewart said no problem, give it some time. A few hours later still no bags. Cabin Stewart said did you have any alcohol in your bags? He then took us to the naughty room where I found them going through my suitcase. $15 later I received my suitcase. We thought the cabin stewart somehow charged the corkage fee. How naive of us. I do think that NCL could handle this a better way for new cruisers.....maybe a sign somewhere while you are embarking so you can 'declare' it? There were many suitcases in that room that they were going through. Just seemed like a waste of everyone's time. We are planning on purchasing wine onboard on our upcoming cruise. No more trips to the naughty room! Lol.

• 1 month later...

We usually cruise with Carnival, but lately I have gotten some advertising emails from NCL and we have friends who have cruised NCL before, so some day, for the right price, we might too.

I have read over their website and notice that they seem to have more restrictions than Carnival...including this wine corkage fee you all are discussing. Carnival doesn't charge a corkage fee unless you bring your bottle to the dining room or other public space (totally understandable). If you consume your wine in your cabin or pour yourself a glass in your cabin (glasses provided) and then take it to the dining room, they say nothing.

It seems as if NCL is overly concerned about getting every last penny instead of letting people bring a limited amount of wine/champagne on board. (It's one 750ml bottle per adult on Carnival). I see from the posts that this "in cabin drinking" corkage fee seems to be hit or miss, but NCL does state they will charge it no matter where you consume it.

My question - is there a way to avoid this (packing in your carry-on like some here have done) or should I just stick to Carnival and not bother with a cruise line that is more concerned about getting another $15 out of people?

It's a small thing, but I enjoy wine and don't feel it's fair that they levy a charge for doing nothing. I know some of you might think I am trying to be cheap, but in my book, if i bring my own wine and keep it in my cabin, they are not being asked to open it for me and therefore should leave me alone. Plus, if I have to spend another $30 on stupid fees, that is less fruity frozen drinks and beer we will order on the lido deck. Apparently they do not realize that being customer-friendly and allowing a limited amount of wine will result in happier customers who will still buy other drinks.

Apparently they do not realize that being customer-friendly and allowing a limited amount of wine will result in happier customers who will still buy other drinks.

Actually they are really customer-friendly because they do allow unlimited amount of bottles to be brought onboard - that saves a lot of passengers a lot of money and enables people to enjoy their favourite wines not necessarily on NCL wine menus. If that is not to your liking, you probably should stick with Carnival.

Edited by Demonyte

It's a small thing, but I enjoy wine and don't feel it's fair that they levy a charge for doing nothing. I know some of you might think I am trying to be cheap, but in my book, if i bring my own wine and keep it in my cabin, they are not being asked to open it for me and therefore should leave me alone. Plus, if I have to spend another $30 on stupid fees, that is less fruity frozen drinks and beer we will order on the lido deck. Apparently they do not realize that being customer-friendly and allowing a limited amount of wine will result in happier customers who will still buy other drinks.

You are looking at this from your point of view. You would like to bring on a bottle of wine without being charged. In that case, cruising with NCL will cost you an additional $15.

Other people want to bring on multiple bottles of wine. I understand that most lines who allow one bottle onboard for free generally charge a higher amount for those above the limit, or even say you can't take more than one bottle. For those people, NCL's policy is one of the most generous around.

This policy may not be best for you, but that doesn't mean that it is inherently better or worse. There are lots of different people with different requirements, and no line can cater for everyone.

I love the offerings of wine that NCL has. Having to fly almost any departure port, it would be a huge hassle to bring my favourite wine.

I know I can buy wine in most ports, but really, after buying, schlepping it along with our luggage, which we've done, and then paying the $15 corkage fee.... seems so much easier to just order the wine packages onboard.

Do you pay more? Yes, but, convenience is part of our vacation budget so it's all good.

Love my wine, love my cruise, love my NCL. :p :D Oh, and I love my Maple Syrup too. That I will schlepp. :p:p

We usually cruise with Carnival, but lately I have gotten some advertising emails from NCL and we have friends who have cruised NCL before, so some day, for the right price, we might too.

I have read over their website and notice that they seem to have more restrictions than Carnival...including this wine corkage fee you all are discussing. Carnival doesn't charge a corkage fee unless you bring your bottle to the dining room or other public space (totally understandable). If you consume your wine in your cabin or pour yourself a glass in your cabin (glasses provided) and then take it to the dining room, they say nothing.

It seems as if NCL is overly concerned about getting every last penny instead of letting people bring a limited amount of wine/champagne on board. (It's one 750ml bottle per adult on Carnival). I see from the posts that this "in cabin drinking" corkage fee seems to be hit or miss, but NCL does state they will charge it no matter where you consume it.

My question - is there a way to avoid this (packing in your carry-on like some here have done) or should I just stick to Carnival and not bother with a cruise line that is more concerned about getting another $15 out of people?

Do you understand that the corkage fee has nothing to do with how much or how little work NCL does with your bottle of wine? Corkage is charged not only on ships, but many restaurants. It is to offset the loss of revenue from your bringing on your own wine. In many cases if an item or policy is of such importance that $30 on a trip that costs thousands is enough to spoil the trip, many would agree you might be happier if you stayed with the cruise line that makes you happy.

Many/most are happy that NCL lets us bring on an unlimited supply of our favorite wine at a minimal charge. If you decide that this is enough to make you take NCL off of your future cruise list you will miss an opportunity to try a wonderful cruise line, we will wish you well on your future sailings with Carnival though.

Thanks for your input. I would never BYOB in a restaurant at home but on a long cruise, I do like to save money where I can and one of those ways is to bring some of my $8 wine. I usually buy other drinks too. I figure the vacation is expensive enough, why add to it if you can bring your own?

I do understand why they want to charge the $15/bottle fee....they are "missing out" on me buying their more expensive bottles of wine they offer on board, but to me it's interpreted as "you can bring as many bottles as you want, but we are penalizing you for bringing your own so pay up". They just make this penalty seem friendly by letting you bring as much as you want. When you do the math on this...it makes that $8 bottle $23...which defeats the purpose of bringing my own in the first place, which I'm sure they know.

So, yes, I get it, if I want to bring my own, I am stuck paying this fee. Many people just accept that. I don't so I'll probably keep booking on Carnival unless I don't feel like bringing my own any longer. I'm not sure what Royal Caribbean's policy is, but I'll look it up some day.

Thanks everyone.

When you do the math on this...it makes that $8 bottle $23...which defeats the purpose of bringing my own in the first place, which I'm sure they know.

You didn't do the math correctly. There is no bottle of wine onboard that would cost only $23 to you, so you'd definitely be saving money with that. Cheapest bottles are $25/$26 (white/red) without the 15% gratuity so one will save usually at least the amount of added gratuity anyway - even with bottles under $10 on shore (corkage fee already includes a $5 bonus for the staff member that returns the sticker - more than the gratuity on most wines) .

There are also many examples where exact same wines as on NCL list can be brought onboard at least 20-30% cheaper by paying the corkage fee - for example this summer from Venice we saved over 33% by bringing onboard a bottle of Möet & Chandon Brut Imperial champagne (cost onboard $75+15%) for my birthday from a local grocery store. For the Pinot Grigio white wines our savings were also about the same (paid around 5-8 euros per bottle onshore and the prices onboard are $30-38 plus gratuity).

I do understand that when only bringing one bottle each Carnival's policy is better, but for us this NCL way of doing things suits perfectly and we have even more money to spend onboard - and we can freely take the wines to bars and restaurants.

Edited by Demonyte

Thanks for your input. I would never BYOB in a restaurant at home but on a long cruise, I do like to save money where I can and one of those ways is to bring some of my $8 wine. I usually buy other drinks too. I figure the vacation is expensive enough, why add to it if you can bring your own?

I do understand why they want to charge the $15/bottle fee....they are "missing out" on me buying their more expensive bottles of wine they offer on board, but to me it's interpreted as "you can bring as many bottles as you want, but we are penalizing you for bringing your own so pay up". They just make this penalty seem friendly by letting you bring as much as you want. When you do the math on this...it makes that $8 bottle $23...which defeats the purpose of bringing my own in the first place, which I'm sure they know.

So, yes, I get it, if I want to bring my own, I am stuck paying this fee. Many people just accept that. I don't so I'll probably keep booking on Carnival unless I don't feel like bringing my own any longer. I'm not sure what Royal Caribbean's policy is, but I'll look it up some day.

Thanks everyone.

I'll help you out with Royal Caribbean. They allow you to bring a maximum of two bottles of wine onboard, free if you drink it in the cabin. If you want to drink it in a public area they charge $25.

I still find it amusing that you think that NCL "make this penalty seem friendly" just because you happen to fall into that group which it doesn't work out best for, whilst not acknowledging that it is much better for some people.

Your calculations are based on someone who wants to bring on just one bottle of relatively cheap wine and who wants to drink it in your room. Yes, those people will be worse off by a whopping €15. However, just think for a second about someone who drinks more expensive wine. They could be better off by potentially hundreds of dollars. How about someone who has a favourite wine that isn't sold by the cruise line? On Carnival they are restricted to one bottle, whereas on NCL they can drink it all week if they want, probably at a very reasonable price compared to what others are paying for similar quality wines onboards.

One thing to remember is that based on official policies, NCL can cost people more if they bring wine onboard compared to Carnival, up to a maximum of €15 a person. However, if they can bring lots onboard and drink relatively expensive wine then the NCL policy could potentially save them hundreds of dollars over Carnival. Once again, I struggle to see why NCLs policy is so unfair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

You didn't do the math correctly. There is no bottle of wine onboard that would cost only $23 to you, so you'd definitely be saving money with that. Cheapest bottles are $25/$26 (white/red) without the 15% gratuity so one will save usually at least the amount of added gratuity anyway - even with bottles under $10 on shore (corkage fee already includes a $5 bonus for the staff member that returns the sticker - more than the gratuity on most wines) .

If you get the Viva Vino package at the cheapest level then it works out at $22 a bottle, plus the gratuity ($25.20)

For this reason, some people have decided that it isn't worth carrying bottles on for the couple of dollar saving. However, you have to buy at least four bottles and the wine you are getting onboard for that price may not be as good as you can buy onshore for around $10.

Personally, I like to bring on a couple of bottles of my favourite Rioja, which ends up costing about $30 to carry on (less when I leave from Spain). NCL charge about $45 for a equivalent quality wine, and even then I still prefer the wine I carry on. Works out very nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone:

Refund applied by Guest Services on your departure morning. You have to bring the wine with you so they can count the stickers they put on the bottles.

A very interesting website about cruise lines corkage fees: http://saverocity.com/travel/bringing-wine-on-a-cruise/

Some of the pricing may be a little outdated, but it's close for comparison. You can see why some people absolutely prefer bringing their own wines, why each cruise line's policy benefits some but of course not everyone, and mostly, you can see how much money you can save by bringing your own preferred wine. An interesting read. I personally love NCL's policy - if I choose I can bring as much of my preferred wine as I'd like (excellent for parties!) or I can buy theirs if I don't need to carry it. I love having a choice, and I have saved a lot of money on some of my sailings by bringing multiple bottles of wine for my family. The cruise lines is going to have to earn the profit somewhere, so if they got rid of the corkage fee, the price of something else would rise to cover it. I understand saving money, but it never ceases to amaze me how something as small as $15 can absolutely ruin someone's cruise after they spent thousands of dollars. But if someone finds it that horrible, they are better off sticking with their obviously "preferred" cruise line.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

• 1 month later...

Stupid question here.. If you bring say 2 bottles on and get to the table to pay the corkage fee. Do they actually open the bottles? Should we be prepared for that? Only because I don't want my champagne opened yet. ;) Or that we should bring on a little wine opener?

Thank You!

Stupid question here.. If you bring say 2 bottles on and get to the table to pay the corkage fee. Do they actually open the bottles? Should we be prepared for that? Only because I don't want my champagne opened yet. ;) Or that we should bring on a little wine opener?

Thank You!

I refuse to call you stupid, but why do you think they would open the wine when you board the ship?

They look at the bottles, write down the name and affix a label. You sign a receipt for the corkage fee. And you are on your way. I think usually the corkage fee shows up on bill for one of the MDRs