2011 Itinerararies

Jade13

I have been reliably informed that the 2011/12 itineraries will be released for sale today,Thursday at 2.00 pm UK time so that would be 9.00am EST.

They were a little late but they are up.

Great opportunities for those in Europe with many 7 nights and also 4 and 5 night cruises on a very nice ship.

Love the Amazon River itinerary. I'm booked :)

Please be sure to post about your Dubai - Athens experience this month as we are thinking about it for next year. My DH likes the 8 sea days. That is one way to get your monies worth.

I just looked at the itinerary for the 2011 Baltic Cruises. What a change compared to this year. I am so glad we are going not going next year because while no price was posted, the itinerary I believe is not as good as this year's. I am now not sure about the New Azamara.

Art

art,

Can you post the itinerary from this year to next and what you do not like. Thanks.

I should start by thanking Jade13 and Paulchili for often remembering me, their kindness is well appreciated. I called Azamara this morning to talk about the Iceland voyage in August 2011. The itinerary is good, it starts in Copenhagen (where we want to go again after our land trip in 1999), two northern Norwegian ports (better than one), still two ports in Iceland (so if one is missed due to unpredictable weather, there is still the other) and ends in Dublin (quite nice, when we visited aboard the Celebrity Century in May, 2008, and the female cat wished to see it again). The timing is also good.

The price is a bit high, at $4449 for the basic balcony (perhaps we will have to swallow that hard). We asked, they told us that even the July, 2010 voyage is still only half full, despite their having raised the price twice to $4899. So likely the August, 2011 will be half full too. Market forces will dictate discounts down the road -- for a while the July, 2010 voyage offered "balcony for the price of window". I hope this "history" repeats itself for 2011, and if that is the case, it will become $3649 which is what we would want.

So perhaps we can book now and play price with time (still 16 months to go). Normally, when the price comes down, one can ask for the decrease, or cancel and rebook the next minute. The question is, will they become nasty and say the "free upgrade" (balcony for window price) will not apply to those who have booked before .. meow?!

meow,

I am glad that the itinerary is at least available.

If the location of the cabin is important to you, I would book now and see what happens to prices. In the past, when there was a decrease, the cruise line "honored' the new price for all people (I believe), so there would be little to loose by booking now. You can always cancel if the price does not change and is not to your liking. I do not know if any late promotions would apply only to new bookings.

Alternatively, if cabin location is not important, just monitor the bookings and prices and then decide.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you!

I should start by thanking Jade13 and Paulchili for often remembering me, their kindness is well appreciated. I called Azamara this morning to talk about the Iceland voyage in August 2011. The itinerary is good, it starts in Copenhagen (where we want to go again after our land trip in 1999), two northern Norwegian ports (better than one), still two ports in Iceland (so if one is missed due to unpredictable weather, there is still the other) and ends in Dublin (quite nice, when we visited aboard the Celebrity Century in May, 2008, and the female cat wished to see it again). The timing is also good.

The price is a bit high, at $4449 for the basic balcony (perhaps we will have to swallow that hard). We asked, they told us that even the July, 2010 voyage is still only half full, despite their having raised the price twice to $4899. So likely the August, 2011 will be half full too. Market forces will dictate discounts down the road -- for a while the July, 2010 voyage offered "balcony for the price of window". I hope this "history" repeats itself for 2011, and if that is the case, it will become $3649 which is what we would want.

So perhaps we can book now and play price with time (still 16 months to go). Normally, when the price comes down, one can ask for the decrease, or cancel and rebook the next minute. The question is, will they become nasty and say the "free upgrade" (balcony for window price) will not apply to those who have booked before .. meow?!

Meow, I am going to discuss the itinerary with my DH as the length and date works well for us. This is even though I had originally stated I would fly to Iceland as a land trip. The real ideal for me would be to cruise to Greenland but than we would miss something else. The cruise line is really gearing itself to Europeans with all of those 7 night cruises and I do not wish to string together two 7 night btb's. My DH wants more sea days, so with the four he might agree.

I also do not like the price for a shorter cruise which is currently more than double the cost of our recent 14 night cruise. We can book direct and than look for a TA who might have a group rate or offer OBC, etc, but it will never be anywhere what we paid this year.

Are you sure the July voyage this year is only half full? If that is the case it makes no sense that the prices are going up and not down.

pretty steep prices! It will be interesting to see what if any incentives will be offered to help sway cruisers their way. I found a couple back to backs I like but ouch!

A lot of the 7 night cruise in Europe have Verandahs starting at approx. $2,500.00pp US. So that is 5K for 14 nights. Even with a $300.00 or whatever discount for a btb that is no gradual increase in prices. It is about $350.00 per diem.

Paulchili and Jade 13: We made a verbal booking, and have seven days to pay the deposit. They say if we cancel after paying the deposit but before the final payment (in 13 months time), we will be charged only 2x$25 handling fee, which is swallowable.

The Azamara agent told me that the July 2010 voyage (in 3 monhts and near final payment now) was half full this morning, and I have to take her word for it. If you go to Azamara's website, you will find plenty of vacancies though some categories are sold out. I don't understand why are they playing this game of increasing the price to keep the ship half full. Perhaps they will suddenly drop price after they secure full payment from the half who paid, and then put on some "regional" sales, special agency sales or whatever.

I only hope that the "balcony for window" deal will come for the August, 2011 voyage, that will reduce our cost to 2x$3649 and that should be more swallowable (without hickups afterwards) .. meow!

Love the Amazon River itinerary. I'm booked :)

florisdekort

I am glad that you have found an itinerary you are happy with but, for us, it was a great disappointment.

Having said that we were unlikely to book Azamara again at the new prices, everything went out of the window when I learned here that they were going to the Amazon. I got straight onto our cruise consultant and he emailed me the itinerary:

The cruise will sail from San Juan Puerto Rico, Gustavia St barts, Roseau Dominica, Mayreau Grenadines, Bridgetown Barbados (overnight), Alter Do Chau Brazil, Boca Da valeria Brazil, Parintins Brazil and finaly Manus Brazil (overnight).

We were so disappointed. We do not want to spend what looks like a week in the Caribbean on a Amazon cruise. At the new prices, the itinerary does have to be better suited than this. I thought that more people would agree with us and, in future years, Azamara would produce a better itinerary but, florisdekort, you seem to have proved me wrong.

Sue

I've been waiting for this itinerary and I'm a little aghast at the prices. I don't think we'll be sailing Azamara in 2011. And I'm so sad that they've gone to 7 night cruises on Quest - the 14 night Best of Italy was the best cruise I've ever been on and it's a thing of the past.:(

We were so disappointed. We do not want to spend what looks like a week in the Caribbean on a Amazon cruise. At the new prices, the itinerary does have to be better suited than this. I thought that more people would agree with us and, in future years, Azamara would produce a better itinerary but, florisdekort, you seem to have proved me wrong.

I'm not sure I follow you. Pricess does Amazon cruises as well, and also spends 5 or 6 nights on the Amazon river itself, similar to Azamar's itinerary. The river is only so long, you can't cruise it for 14 nights...

Best Regards,

Floris

I'm not sure I follow you. Pricess does Amazon cruises as well, and also spends 5 or 6 nights on the Amazon river itself, similar to Azamar's itinerary. The river is only so long, you can't cruise it for 14 nights...

Best Regards,

Floris

Floris

Yes, but IMHO there are better places that the Caribbean to spend the rest of the time. The Caribbean does nothing for us. Other ports in South America makes more sense to us. There is a fantastic itinerary on the Marco Polo that sails Transatlantic from Tilbury [uK] to the Amazon and back. The price is good too. Too bad about the ship in that case!

However, we all make out own choices for our own reasons. We are disappointed but it is wonderful that you have found a great cruise for you. Have as wonderful a time as we did on our Singapore to Athens!

Sue

PS I am also disappointed that Azamara are no longer sailing up the Thames. It is looking like I may have to overcome my feelings about the Marco Polo ...

florisdekort

I am glad that you have found an itinerary you are happy with but, for us, it was a great disappointment.

Having said that we were unlikely to book Azamara again at the new prices, everything went out of the window when I learned here that they were going to the Amazon. I got straight onto our cruise consultant and he emailed me the itinerary:

The cruise will sail from San Juan Puerto Rico, Gustavia St barts, Roseau Dominica, Mayreau Grenadines, Bridgetown Barbados (overnight), Alter Do Chau Brazil, Boca Da valeria Brazil, Parintins Brazil and finaly Manus Brazil (overnight).

Sue

I like the itinerary from Brazil but we can not work with the dates at the end of the year due to DH's work. What I don't like is the 2012 called Brazil to the Carribean (I am trying to figure the difference from what you are looking at). The dates work better but it is not through the Amazon. I really do not want to pay a deposit for a cruise two years away but perhaps they will tweek the 2012 itinerary before than. Still, the ideal would be from/to Miami to the Amazon in 14 nights.

Also, if you start in Brazil you could spend extra time there, not in the Caribbean.

It is interesting. What these posts are showing me is that people are not looking at 7 night itineraries. The past guests want the longer trips. Azamara is assuming that many people will not have a problem with btb's, but we do.

[quote name='meow!']
The Azamara agent told me that the July 2010 voyage (in 3 monhts and near final payment now) was half full this morning, and I have to take her word for it. If you go to Azamara's website, you will find plenty of vacancies though some categories are sold out. I don't understand why are they playing this game of increasing the price to keep the ship half full. Perhaps they will suddenly drop price after they secure full payment from the half who paid, and then put on some "regional" sales, special agency sales or whatever.
.. meow![/quote]

meow,
If the 2010 sailing goes "on sale" after final payment due to poor bookings, can you go this year?

[quote name='meow!']Paulchili and Jade 13: We made a verbal booking, and have seven days to pay the deposit. They say if we cancel after paying the deposit but before the final payment (in 13 months time), we will be charged only 2x$25 handling fee, which is swallowable.

I only hope that the "balcony for window" deal will come for the August, 2011 voyage, that will reduce our cost to 2x$3649 and that should be more swallowable (without hickups afterwards) .. meow![/quote]

My DH said we can go if the same Verandah's are $3,000.00pp max including tax ($2,500.00pp would be better). He mentioned he does not drink so wine with lunch and dinner is meaningless. We now have to pay $15.00pp to eat in Prime C (or $10.00 more than the $5.00pp requested gratuity this year). We ate there 5 times this year, so that would be an additional $100.00 too.

The best bet would be an agency with a group booking.

Btw, so now the powers at Azamara will see that they have a number of bookings that are going to be canceled if the prices do not come down.

[quote name='Project_gal']

PS I am also disappointed that Azamara are no longer sailing up the Thames. It is looking like I may have to overcome my feelings about the Marco Polo ...
Sue
[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Sue[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Actually you still can sail "up the Thames" [I]this [/I]year - starting May, 23. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]This is going to be our next cruise .. and I am soooo looking forward to it![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]As to [I]why[/I] they changed this itinerary... Maybe they have had problems with selling it (cabins still available in every category and just 8 of us registered for the M&M party!)..[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Miriam[/FONT]

[quote name='Jade13']It is interesting. What these posts are showing me is that people are not looking at 7 night itineraries. The past guests want the longer trips. Azamara is assuming that many people will not have a problem with btb's, but we do.[/quote]

A B2B can work depending on the embarkation/disembarkation city. As long as the port is close to the sights, it would be (just ok, not ideal). But if it were some place like Civitavecchia, then it would be a wasted day IMHO because of the travel time required to get to Rome and back.

Perhaps Azamara is taking a cue from its sister line and focussing on attracting European cruisers instead of Americans in the summer months. RCI is taking quite a few ships (maybe 10) to Europe and only offering monster ships for summer sailing (other than Radiance & Rhapsody in Alaska and Serenade out of San Juan). With the cost and hassle of air travel, I imagine that many US passengers are sitting on the sidelines.

[quote name='critterchick']A B2B can work depending on the embarkation/disembarkation city. As long as the port is close to the sights, it would be (just ok, not ideal). But if it were some place like Civitavecchia, then it would be a wasted day IMHO because of the travel time required to get to Rome and back.

Perhaps Azamara is taking a cue from its sister line and focussing on attracting European cruisers instead of Americans in the summer months. RCI is taking quite a few ships (maybe 10) to Europe and only offering monster ships for summer sailing (other than Radiance & Rhapsody in Alaska and Serenade out of San Juan). With the cost and hassle of air travel, I imagine that many US passengers are sitting on the sidelines.[/quote]

Right. They are targeting Europeans. No question.

What I meant was that those on Cruise Critic were originally looking for the interesting itineraries and longer (12 and 14 night) itineraries. As soon as you need to string together 7 night cruises to me the ship is turning more into a hotel because of the repeat in Welcome Aboard and Farewell announcements, and the likely repeat in entertainment.

[quote name='Jade13']What I meant was that those on Cruise Critic were originally looking for the interesting itineraries and longer (12 and 14 night) itineraries. As soon as you need to string together 7 night cruises to me the ship is turning more into a hotel because of the repeat in Welcome Aboard and Farewell announcements, and the likely repeat in entertainment.[/quote]

Also keep in mind that the "hotel" function is precisely what the new Azamara Club Cruises is all about: destinations, longer port stays, destination lectures, etc... and getting from A to B comfortably. They don't intend for the ships to be the destination, as Royal Caribbean clearly does with its mega ships. The Azamara ships are indeed... hotels.

[quote name='florisdekort']Also keep in mind that the "hotel" function is precisely what the new Azamara Club Cruises is all about: destinations, longer port stays, destination lectures, etc... and getting from A to B comfortably. They don't intend for the ships to be the destination, as Royal Caribbean clearly does with its mega ships. [U]The Azamara ships are indeed... hotels.[/U][/quote]

I don't have a problem with that - I cruise for destinations (ports) and not the ships (otherwise we would be on the RCI board looking for walls to climb, ice skate or surf). I don't even mind the Welcome aboard announcements - I will probably off the ship for those, exploring the port.
My problem is that two 7 day cruises are more expensive than one 14 day cruise (and often with some repeats).
Besides, who wants to fly all the way to Europe from the West coast to cruise for only 7 days?

Well for me, a 7 day European cruise works - I like having two three days at both ends for a land vacation - as much as I like being on a lovely ship, I think you do loose some of the european ambiance. This year we fly into Rome, go to Capri for 3 nights, then head to Civit. to take a 7 night cruise that ends in Barcelona where we will stay 2 extra nights. For those of us limited by two week vacations, I like having the option of a 7 night cruise on a NICE (not Costa etc.) ship. As far as b2b, isn't there usually a discount?

[quote name='Paulchili']Besides, who wants to fly all the way to Europe from the West coast to cruise for only 7 days?[/QUOTE]Very sensible, unless of course, you add a week or ten days of "land portion" on your own and make your trip a land-sea "combo tour"!

Archived