Bayou Cafe menu item.......is it really Alligator?

Duck Duck Cruise

Hi,

I searched on Princess web site for "Menus" and there was one for the Bayou Cafe which is on the Coral.

One item says............Smothered Gator Ribs

Has anyone tried this and is it really Alligator? We look forward to trying new foods everywhere we go.

Is there something on the menu that we must try?

Thanks,

Lin

ggprincess is right. It is real alligator ribs; but not very tasty.

We are real fans of cajun food and quite familiar with its preparation; but the Bayou Cafe was a huge disappointment.

The steak and lobster dishes are fine; but everything else I would avoid.

Mike:)

In Alexandria, Virginia, there's a restaurant which serves Alligator Stew. It is out of this world good -- lots of big pieces of alligator, a thick broth with veggies, and it's nice and spicy. I love it! And then the skin can make a nice pair of shoes and a matching bag: it's all very eco-friendly!

Anyhow, just mentioning it, in case anyone is going to DC for the Cherry Blossom Festival and wants some good gator food. . .

I was a bit hesitant, but wanted to try them so the waiter suggested a combination appetizer. I thought that sounded safe, but got a full size portion of each appetizer on the same plate. The ribs were OK, but not spectaccular. When you combine the double appetizer with the "sample" size of the Jambalaya that the waiter recommended, I had way too much food. Only tasted the Jambalaya to save room for my steak!

Yep, gator ribs. Trying to learn new foods. They weren't bad but they weren't great either. Won't ever eat them again. Long and stupid story as to why.

Go ahead and elaborate, we could use a good laugh.:)

At Seaworld in Orlando we ate at AL E Gators and tried the alligator and it was nice and tender. Then we had a rest. open here in G.J. and they went the Cajun route and it was like I would imagine eating the alligator shoes. Needless to say that rest didn't last long.

So what is actually wrong with the ribs. (I'm a baby back rib person)

Go ahead and elaborate, we could use a good laugh.:)

At Seaworld in Orlando we ate at AL E Gators and tried the alligator and it was nice and tender. Then we had a rest. open here in G.J. and they went the Cajun route and it was like I would imagine eating the alligator shoes. Needless to say that rest didn't last long.

So what is actually wrong with the ribs. (I'm a baby back rib person)

IMHO, they taste like chicken, and are not very well seasoned.......

In Alexandria, Virginia, there's a restaurant which serves Alligator Stew. It is out of this world good -- lots of big pieces of alligator, a thick broth with veggies, and it's nice and spicy. I love it! And then the skin can make a nice pair of shoes and a matching bag: it's all very eco-friendly!

Anyhow, just mentioning it, in case anyone is going to DC for the Cherry Blossom Festival and wants some good gator food. . .

I suspect you're referring to RT's, one of my favorites when I lived in the area. Like so many "exotic" foods (tripe, squid, octopus), alligator has little taste of its own, but put it with the right companions, and it's downright delish and should be tried at least once.

Personally, I found the gator ribs at Bayou dry and not much taste. Also the gumbo and jambalaya were much too lightly spiced... the best taste is when you breathe fire as you eat it.

BUT... the ambiance at Bayou, and the music, were fabulous! On his break, the pianist came over to the table and chatted with us. New Orleans has a very special meaning to DW and ne so we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner there.

Shalom, Andy.

I tried the gator ribs and the oysters as an app. and, like everyone else has said, the ribs were okay (dry, not a lot of meat on 'em) but the oysters were to die for! The meal I had at the Bayou was one of my favorites of my trip. Not only for the unbelievably delicious food, the wonderful music and ambiance but also because it was just nice to eat somewhere different than the MDR or buffet for a night.

I was disappointed last year when the waiter in the Bayou Cafe (Coral) told me it wasn't real gator. I was really looking forward to it. I personally found the food, at that time, to be pretty mediocre. To be fair, I really, really love to eat Cajun food when I go to New Orleans so to those that haven't had the experience it may be OK. I left wishing we had gone to Sabatini's.

Hi,

I searched on Princess web site for "Menus" and there was one for the Bayou Cafe which is on the Coral.

One item says............Smothered Gator Ribs

Has anyone tried this and is it really Alligator? We look forward to trying new foods everywhere we go.

Is there something on the menu that we must try?

Thanks,

Lin

If you like stewed rubber, you will like the ribs.

I have been to the Bayou twice, and d not wish to repeat, [no pun intended].:eek:

john

Other than the gator ribs (which freaked me out like calamari does), our meal was wonderful at the Bayou Cafe. DH said his steak was the best ones he's ever had. He thinks it was the porterhouse steak (it was a year ago and his memory is fuzzy).

Archived