CCL stockholder promotions

ho

Just curious if there is any advantage to being a CCL stockholder in the way of discounts or promotions. AS I recall you use to get something provided you owed at least 100 shares. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Thanks

Glad to find this thread...I was wondering the same thing. We haven't sailed with Princess (CCL) since 2007 and I remembered we took advantage of our stock ownership then, but can't remember how we went about it. Can anyone give me an update on the procedure we have to follow to obtain our $100 OBC? We're sailing with Princess again this November and the $100 OBC will definitely come in handy! Thanks so much, in advance for any and all advice you can pass along!

Debjo

You must own the stock when you apply for the OBC. You can apply anytime after final payment is made and enough time before you sail for the request to be process. Liza, sho handles requests from Princess passengers usually gets it done in less than 24 hours, but I would give her a week at least just in case there is a problem.

To say if I don't have CCL's stock, and I have a cruise confirmed already. I can buy the stock today, email CCL all the information, get the OBC, and then sell the stock?

I suppose that's possible, but why would you do that? The transaction and whatever losses that might occur would eat into the OBC you would receive. I know your question was hypothetical, so you really don't have to respond to this.

I will add that we are shareholders of CCL and have enjoyed not only an increase in value of the stock since the first of the year, but a dividend payout in March along with what I call a non-taxable dividend in the form of the OBC.

We plan on many more voyages on Princess, especially now that we have earned the Elite level, and will enjoy the OBC from CCL on all of them.

Eh, even with $20 in commission, you'd still be $80 ahead for the flip assuming no movement in the stock.

I got in over the 52 week low, but not much, and it's been a great position for me, even though I never invest in single equities. The non-taxable OBC has meant I've had returns *well* over 90% for the year (including unrealized capital gains, naturally), so I can ride out fluctuations and corrections pretty effectively. I figure by year four, I'll have essentially recovered the purchase price in OBC, so the rest is pure gravy. Mmmn, graaaavy. </Homer>

Eh, even with $20 in commission, you'd still be $80 ahead for the flip assuming no movement in the stock.

I got in over the 52 week low, but not much, and it's been a great position for me, even though I never invest in single equities. The non-taxable OBC has meant I've had returns *well* over 90% for the year (including unrealized capital gains, naturally), so I can ride out fluctuations and corrections pretty effectively. I figure by year four, I'll have essentially recovered the purchase price in OBC, so the rest is pure gravy. Mmmn, graaaavy. </Homer>

I understand and even if the trade was with Ameritrade or Scottrade it would be less. To me it was the wasted energy factor of trying to do any sort of flip just to score the OBC.

I would even consider investing in more CCL only because of the way it is performing.

$10 for the buy, $10 for the sell. There will inevitably be a little spread as well.

Still, there've been enough days recently where you'll make $20 on a block to make this just amusing enough to deal with.

To say if I don't have CCL's stock, and I have a cruise confirmed already. I can buy the stock today, email CCL all the information, get the OBC, and then sell the stock?

As long as you hold the stock long enough after final payment to receive the OBC.

I understand and even if the trade was with Ameritrade or Scottrade it would be less. To me it was the wasted energy factor of trying to do any sort of flip just to score the OBC.

I would even consider investing in more CCL only because of the way it is performing.

It is doing well, isn't it? We bought a long time ago @18. I have 250 shares in two different accounts and today it almost hit 40. Closed at 38.30. There are days I think I should sell some off and then again........CCL has been very very good to us, especially in recent years when we've really increased our cruising. Off we go on 4/19 and our OBC for these B2B's will be $450.

Wow, People would consider being dishonest for $80.00. I guess parents don't teach morals anymore. Yes no matter what excuses you make it's still dishonest in my book!

Wow, People would consider being dishonest for $80.00. I guess parents don't teach morals anymore. Yes no matter what excuses you make it's still dishonest in my book!

I am not sure it is dishonest but it does point out a hole in the rules. It is sad when something like this is abused since in makes the company look harder at how or whether to apply a shareholder benefit.

It is doing well, isn't it? We bought a long time ago @18. I have 250 shares in two different accounts and today it almost hit 40. Closed at 38.30. There are days I think I should sell some off and then again........CCL has been very very good to us, especially in recent years when we've really increased our cruising. Off we go on 4/19 and our OBC for these B2B's will be $450.

Same here. We bought at $18 a while back.. Love those OBC $$ perks

Not dishonest, just CHEAP!!! I have talked with people that buy just before they make payment then sell after their account is credited with the OBC.

Go Figure. Soon Carnival will drop this perk if this happens regularly.

The simple math is that the vast majority of the shareholdings aren't in the hands of individual investors; all of the blocks held by, say, mutual and hedge funds (and the Arison family, for that matter) aren't each generating OBC. The "abuse" (and again, I'm putting quotes around it because it's completely in line with both the published rules and how things are applied) is *noise* in the net profit of 1.1 *billion* dollars last year. Carnivore makes approximately $20 in net profit per berth per day across all the brands. (1.1 billion, 150,000 berths, 365 days in the year)...if this were meaningfully impacting the bottom line, it would disappear instead of being renewed year after year.

Figure, *easily* the OBC only costs CCL about 40% of the face value, too. CCL isn't dumb - they know that stockholders cruise more frequently, spend more onboard and tell friends.

E

I am not sure it is dishonest but it does point out a hole in the rules. It is sad when something like this is abused since in makes the company look harder at how or whether to apply a shareholder benefit.
I am.

]"This benefit is available to shareholders holding a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival PLC"

What do you think holding means, It certainly does not mean held for 1 or 2 days.

Not dishonest, just CHEAP!!! I have talked with people that buy just before they make payment then sell after their account is credited with the OBC.

Go Figure. Soon Carnival will drop this perk if this happens regularly.

Sorry this is dishonest and to bad your parents did not teach you that.:mad:

so trading on interday variability is wrong too? How long should I hold the stock? Given that it would only take an 80-cent variation in the price to wipe out the benefit? Given that CCL's beta is 1.4?

Frankly, I was using covered calls until the price eclipsed the benefit I'd extracted from the stock (because I had a stack of cheap option trade bonuses to use), but I can see someone being legitimately concerned that a move in the stock will result in them losing more than the savings value.

CCL asks that you have the stock when you make the request after you've already committed to the sailing. Any rule that required you to hold the stock through the sailing would expose them to securities litigation because that is providing an inducement to keep holding the stock regardless of the market performance, which is generally frowned upon by securities regulators.

Sorry this is dishonest and to bad your parents did not teach you that.:mad:

I bought the shares and I am keeping them. That said, the plan says you must produce proof of ownership to get the OBC. I don't think it is dishonest to sell after you provide the proof.

I am.

]"This benefit is available to shareholders holding a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival PLC"

What do you think holding means, It certainly does not mean held for 1 or 2 days.

You can hold shares for an hour - it is certainly a holding.

I was actually agreeing that I think it is a devious means of obtaining the OBC and I am suprised to get a lecture on the meaning of a word.

I will resist explaining the use of "too" as opposed to "to".

Thank you Vibeguy for a clear explanation of the trading rules.

I think I will continue to hold on to the shares I have owned for the past two years for now since they have almost double in value.

My last post on this. What is technically ok does not mean that it is right. I would never even think of purchasing stock with the intent of dumping it just to get OBC. And VibeGuy you are not impressing me with your knowledge of the markets.

Archived