ORIANA - vibration

BMT

We were ***** her for 5 weeks recently and did not find there to be any vibration. We were on B deck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that response Merlin 7, we are going on her on the 5th May so are relieved to hear that. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 months later...

My parents got off the Oriana this morning and I just asked my mother about this. She confirmed that the vibration in the Oriental Restaurant is really bad but apart from that they didn't feel the vibration in any other part of the ship. Hope this helps.

We were on Oriana (and in the Oriental) 2 years ago for Norway/Fjords etc; and didn't feel a thing :p !

We're back on Oriana for the Baltics in a couple of weeks time; so hoping not to feel a thing again :eek: !

A few stiff scotches before bed should sort out anything anyway :D !

WE will be cruising on Oriana in November from Brisbane Australia to Southampton. We have a P&O ship here that used to be based in Brisbane - Pacific Sun. We noticed on a number of occasions that when that ship is in very deep water off the Aussie continent that it has no vibration - as soon as the ship returned to shallow water in Moreton Bay (which leads to the Port of Brisbane in the Brisbane River) vibration became very noticeable.

Barry

We were on Oriana in May and did hear people talking of vibration in the Oriental restaurant, we were in the Peninsular, strangely one couple we spoke to had experienced it on an earlier cruise but were still in the Oriental this time, so I assumed it wasn't that bad. What I did notice was that the Pacific Lounge was quite noisy and that is one deck above the Oriental, not sure it was vibration though!

• 1 year later...

Having just returned from the Southampton to Singapore segment of the Oriana world cruise, we experiences very serious vibration but first, I’d like to congratulate all the staff on the level of service we received. Every staff member we came into contact with provided an excellent level of service and was a credit to the company. The Oriental and Peninsular restaurants offered a great selection and the service was second to none. Less impressive was the layout and food selection and maintenance in the Conservatory, compared to Arcadia, Azura and the Princess ships we have been on, this was like the worst motorway cafe.

Another annoyance was the new safe fitted to our cabin (D219 - which was new and beautifully appointed). This was neither useable nor secured to the bulkhead. This was reported on the second day on board and it took until the penultimate day (24 days in total) to have it opened but it was never secured. This was not a good advert for the yard who carried out the refurbishment nor for Deck Management.

The serious vibration we experienced on board was very disturbing and often prevented us getting to sleep. This was clearly not simply an engine management problem as it occurred both before and after the announcements about the failure and repair of the defective engine. Our late arrival into many of the ports was due mainly to the loss of the engine and Indian Customs officers. Most of the taxi tours arranged prior to coming on board had to be modified and condensed which meant missing many of the in-port sights. Having recently had a refit, I would have expected preventive maintenance to have been carried out to avoid such occurrences .

The vibration problem is so serious that we would never consider sailing on Oriana again.

It's a 'feature' of older-design ships, isn't it? Especially in the case of Oriana, which has a mechanical direct drive to the propellers (via gear boxes and things) rather than the electric propulsion motors of later ships (including Aurora).

Although I've been on Oriana I didn't especially notice any vibration, but there again we weren't much in the aft section which is where it will be most obvious. I have however experienced considerable vibration on Celebrity's former Galaxy, which is a ship of very similar size and construction - even came from the same shipyard. She could vibrate like crazy when she was asked to lift her skirts and hustle.

Sounds just like Artemis. It was so bad in the restaurant one night, I had to leave. It was going right through me. I also noticed it in the cabin and we were on C deck forward of midships. Right through the pillow. This might just put me off Oriana.

We got off Oriana last month before her World Cruise.

We didn't notice any vibration at all in the l7 nights on board. We were on D Balcony Deck.

We did notice one empty table in the Oriental after the first night. We were told they had experienced vibration, but no-one in surrounding tables had.

If there was a bad vibration problem I think we would have noticed it during all that time.

Part of 2010 World Cruise, Brisbane to Southampton - November 20120 - VERY bad vibration in the Oriental restaurant. It was so bad on one evening that our whole table of 8 asked to be moved to the Peninsula restaurant (which surprisingly happened) . The Peninsula restaurant was like another world!! - so quiet and smooth.

Barry

We have sailed on her since 1995.. there was vibration at certain speeds BUT we didnt notice... it was caused by bumping on the mud on the river in Germany where she was build.. when she floated out she hit the mud beneath her.

On the last refit it was meant to be fixed...

You can get a cork screw motion on any ship its a combination of waves across the bow and wind direction... if you get the wrong combination any ship moves like that.

On Oriana you do notice a gentle... pulse... thats all. In 1995 our dining table was aft by the window... it really was fine. Only when the ship docked did it wobble that much in there that you had to hold onto glasses ...

BUT some folk made a real big fuss over it.... in those days the resturant was open for break fast and when you docked you noticed it. Now they dont have it open at breakfast so docking and eating there isnt an issue.

Part of 2010 World Cruise, Brisbane to Southampton - November 20120 - VERY bad vibration in the Oriental restaurant. It was so bad on one evening that our whole table of 8 asked to be moved to the Peninsula restaurant (which surprisingly happened) . The Peninsula restaurant was like another world!! - so quiet and smooth.

Barry

Goodness sounds worse since the refit ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We didn't especially notice any vibration, but we did notice the peculiar corkscrew motion she has, which made me very sick - the only time in 25+ cruises. For that reason, amongst others, we would avoid her in future.

That may have been resolved by the new ducktail added in the recent refit. I'll find out on a TA in september.

That may have been resolved by the new ducktail added in the recent reift. I'll find out on a TA in september.

It could also be that the new sponson has affected the whole vibration question. I seem to remember that there were changes to the propulsion equipment as a result of this being added. Perhaps the propeller shafts had to be lengthened - that alone could alter the ship's characteristics.

It could also be that the new sponson has affected the whole vibration question. I seem to remember that there were changes to the propulsion equipment as a result of this being added. Perhaps the propeller shafts had to be lengthened - that alone could alter the ship's characteristics.

I hope they put them back the right way round this time then :)

Archived