Eating small portions on cruises

laurenpie

Hello,

My apologies if I have created this in the wrong part...

I went on a cruise 2 and a bit years ago with Royal Caribbean, and I was on the larger side of things - so loved all the food that they had on the boat.

Not long after that, I went in and had weight loss surgery, now I look great - just can't eat much.

Went on Royal Caribbean's Liberty Of The Seas last February and it was great, except for the fact that at the sit down dinner every night the waiter got angry at me because I didn't eat much.

I did tell him that I physically can't eat much and I loved the food, etc.. but every night it was the same thing, and it was very embarassing (everyone at the table was staring and he was getting angry at me)

I am sure the cook's were getting angry and wanted to know why it wasn't all being eaten...... in my personal opinion it doesn't excuse his attitude toward me.

I am going with my hubby on the Carnival Valour in October, and he's since had the same surgery as me and is able to eat more so I don't think that this will affect him as much as it will me... but has anybody here been in the same situation & if so what did you do?

I am looking forward to the food, as cruises do have some delicious food & I really enjoy the sit down dinners, and I don't want to have to avoid them because I got so annoyed with the waiters...

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Lauren

first of all congratulations on your weight reduction.

I doubt that the cooks really cared if you ate all of the food or not. They are far too busy to monitor you. As far as the waiter,m it really is none of their business.

If you think you will feel uncomfortable talk to the head waiter on the first night and explain only to him no one else.

Most of all enjoy yourself.

Went on Royal Caribbean's Liberty Of The Seas last February and it was great, except for the fact that at the sit down dinner every night the waiter got angry at me because I didn't eat much.

I did tell him that I physically can't eat much and I loved the food, etc.. but every night it was the same thing, and it was very embarassing (everyone at the table was staring and he was getting angry at me)

If anyone took it upon themselves to comment on how little I ate, I would make a point of saying that I have a medical condition which prevents me from eating a "normal" size portion and leave it at that.

If anyone had the brass to say anything after that I'd tell them to mind their own business.

You had one very strange and uncommon waiter. Most of them will inquire if you didn't like something if you don't finish it and then when you tell them you liked it but only want to eat a portion of the serving, they will understand. I also had WLS and eat only a portion of each course. At the first meal, I'm asked if everything was ok but after the first meal, the waiters never ask me again. Lots of people leave food on their plates - both normies and post-ops - don't worry about it. Go and have a good time and don't let anyone intimidate you.

Hello,

I went on a cruise 2 and a bit years ago with Royal Caribbean, and I was on the larger side of things - so loved all the food that they had on the boat.

Not long after that, I went in and had weight loss surgery, now I look great - just can't eat much.

I am sure the cook's were getting angry and wanted to know why it wasn't all being eaten...... in my personal opinion it doesn't excuse his attitude toward me.

I am going with my hubby on the Carnival Valour in October, and he's since had the same surgery as me and is able to eat more so I don't think that this will affect him as much as it will me... but has anybody here been in the same situation & if so what did you do?

I am looking forward to the food, as cruises do have some delicious food & I really enjoy the sit down dinners, and I don't want to have to avoid them because I got so annoyed with the waiters...

Lauren

Congrats to both of you for changing your eating habits and a successful operation. Order off the spa menu. Portions are not as large and they are a bit healthier. Monitor what you eat during the day especially on the buffets. To the best of your ability, scan the selections before taking anything and then take only a 1/2 serving spoon of each item you'd like to try. Use the smaller salad plates versus the larger regular plates. Taste your food. Take a bite then put down your fork/spoon/sandwich and chew. Don't reach for the utensil until your mouth is empty. Before eating a meal, drink a large glass of water. Stop eating once you feel like a 6 or a 7 on a 10 scale of fullness. Then drink another glass of water.

Just be aware that with all the selections around you are going to eat more throughout the day than you probably would at home. Be okay with that. Spread your eating out across the day. Just don't try to gorge yourself every time you are offered food. Don't feel pressured by others to eat more than you can. Lots of food around but you're not in any food eating contest.

Congrats to both of you for changing your eating habits and a successful operation. Order off the spa menu. Portions are not as large and they are a bit healthier. Monitor what you eat during the day especially on the buffets. To the best of your ability, scan the selections before taking anything and then take only a 1/2 serving spoon of each item you'd like to try. Use the smaller salad plates versus the larger regular plates. Taste your food. Take a bite then put down your fork/spoon/sandwich and chew. Don't reach for the utensil until your mouth is empty. Before eating a meal, drink a large glass of water. Stop eating once you feel like a 6 or a 7 on a 10 scale of fullness. Then drink another glass of water.

Just be aware that with all the selections around you are going to eat more throughout the day than you probably would at home. Be okay with that. Spread your eating out across the day. Just don't try to gorge yourself every time you are offered food. Don't feel pressured by others to eat more than you can. Lots of food around but you're not in any food eating contest.

Did I miss the part of the OP's post where she asked for eating advice?

I have a friend who lost her targeted goal of 80 pounds and one of her tips was to ask for smaller portions on a smaller plate. It really helped her control her portions. Also, most of the food on her plate was veggies and fruit and lean meat or beans for protein

I am so sorry you were embarrassed - sounds like some of that dining room staff needed some etiquette refreshers. I had a similar experience once on a ship. I detest chocolate and most other sweets and the waitstaff could not fathom that someone never wanted dessert. They were nice about it, but a bit too inquiring.

Best of luck to you and happy cruising!

Thanks guys for your tips! Was really helpful!

I thought this was perhaps the best place to ask as there was bound to be someone here that had been on a cruise and found it hard with the food :)

If anyone asks or comments about how much you're eating, tell them the reason! Easy!

Thanks but that was my whole point, why should I have to tell them?.. "i can't eat much" should be good enough.

I am almost 6 years post GB surgery and we've been on a lot of cruises before and since. The first time the waiter asks if everything is all right because I haven't eaten all my food, I quietly explain that I have a very small appetite and I promise to let them know if there is any problem with any food. They still are a little perplexed when I rarely order dessert or only order the sugar-free option. I don't let it bother me. I quietly sip my coffee and enjoy myself.

Maybe the waiter was afraid you'd tip less because you were not enjoying what was being brought out. Thought I'm not one of them there are people who will get items they don't like but won't send them back or speak up if they are dissatisfied and then take out their disappointment on the waiter thru his tip. It has to be something like that. Has to be. Though it's no ones business in future it will probably be more comfortable for you and hubby if you say something quietly to your head waiter. That way no one feels weird.

I don't think you need to explain to anyone why you only eat a small amount. I was on an overnight cruise last weekend and noticed most of the waitstaff was slow and not really interested in the customers needs -- just doing a job like working at McD. I suppose this is what happens when tips are automatic and not earned.

A full meal is included in the price of your cruise and if you choose to toss it in the toilet, that is YOUR business.

Also, I know Disney does it assume all ships will work with you on special dietary needs. For example, if you are on a gluten free diet, they will make sure your food does not have gluten in it. Let them know what you need and Congratulations on your success!

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I've been dieting and went on holiday to Japan recently with a tour group, none of whom I knew. They were completely confused as to why I was leaving half of my dinners and kept questioning me on it all the time, which was hard, because I could quite easily have eaten my food and theirs as well! From the other side of the equation, I know in the past I might have given people a hard time for leaving food, mostly because I was embarrassed about how much I had eaten and a bit jealous that someone had the willpower to leave some of their food on the plate. But you know, now I know better. Your waiter really should have known better too.

I like the idea of saying 'I have a medical condition' myself. But it's entirely up to you what you say. My mum has a medical condition and can't eat much - it's not because she had any weight loss surgery, but because she had cancer and they had to take away part of her digestive system. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of either way - and if it gets people off your back then it might be worth a go. Best of luck no matter what you decide...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had WLS, but I like to taste different foods. Sometimes I just take a couple of tastes and I'm satisfied. When asked if I didn't like it I tell them 'no', just wanted a taste or two. Having a waiter on a ship that questioned me wouldn't go over very well. I would talk to the Maitr'D, and I would make sure that the waiter was the one who had to go get him. That should end that..LOL

LaurenPie.

I can't believe they were rude to you! How horrible.

At least you enjoyed the food right?

I wish I was at that table with you I would have been MORE then happy to cut down, its always easier when you have a partner right?

All I can say is I have a pic of me eating a creme brulee.....Okay fine, TWO creme brulees, at the same time!!

CCL is extremely helpful with diet restrictions. We have a child with severe food allergies and the staff on a cruise last month was just great for us and our child's needs. Call CCL now and ask to talk to customer service and explain your food needs. They'll have small portions available for you.

Your waiter had bad manners. If you need special plating address it when booking. I know on Celebrity web it has box for special food instructions. Food is mass plated in kitchen;with reduction in wait staff on most lines things are even more hectic, no time to replate.

Hello,

Lauren

Hi - I had the same problem...after we were seated the first night and our waiter introduced himself I waited until he left the table, then went over and talked to him privately. I explained the issue and asked that he talk to the kitchen staff and have all my choices sent in 1/2 or 1/4 size portions. Once he knew the situation he was marvelous...making appropriate jokes when table mates questioned my portion sizes to make everyone comfortable. He liked that I was able to come close to eating what I was served as it was obvious I enjoyed what I had received. Enjoy your trip and don't skip the MDR experience and don't let a waiter ruin it for you.

Archived