Booked with RC, now agent has offered lower quote

I have been looking round for a good quote for our group booking for 20 people on IOS next year.

Most of the TAs came back to me quoting higher than RC's online prices. So yesterday I called them directly and booked with them. They gave us $50 OBC and I was quite happy with the price. The deposit has already been paid.

Then one of the TAs got back to me this morning with a lower quote! Can I transfer my booking to them and get some money back, or is it too late now?

Thanks for the replies.

I got in touch with the TA and they said the time limit is 48 hours - fortunately I still have 24 hours!

I did the maths and it seems like I will be saving £800 (around $1500). I can forget about the £250 OBC that RC offered us with those kind of savings!!

I am a bit annoyed they overcharged me so much yesterday really. Why try to take advantage of someone bringing them some business? I told them it was for our wedding too - I guess they just though we would be happy so pay £800 extra just because they were going to put chocolate covered strawberries in our suite ... :confused:

The only problem is the TA is "having trouble transferring our booking". Hope it all works...

If you organized a group that big, it is possible that the right TA will get you your cabin for free!!! My TA has an offer where if you book 10 cabins, the group organizer sails for free.

Thats a bit strange because RCCL and most other lines only require 8 cabins to get the free berth . Also it is really not free, it is the BASE amount without taxes and fees and NCF's that comes off the total and the free berth still pays the taxes and fees. Also the amount in based on the greatest category type.

I am a bit annoyed they overcharged me so much yesterday really. Why try to take advantage of someone bringing them some business? I told them it was for our wedding too - I guess they just though we would be happy so pay £800 extra just because they were going to put chocolate covered strawberries in our suite ... :confused:

They didn't overcharge you - they charged the regular price with a bonus, the OBC. It's just that an agent decided to offer you an even greater bonus, by taking a cut from their commission. From what you said, though, many more agents also decided to offer you less.

I don't see that RCL have done anything wrong here. They haven't overcharged you.

If they only just offered you a better price today, check your cruise with RCCL directly. There may have been a price drop overnight and the TAs could offer it to you then. RCCL should give you the price drop directly if there was one. Or like someone said, the TAs could just really want your business.

If you organized a group that big, it is possible that the right TA will get you your cabin for free!!! My TA has an offer where if you book 10 cabins, the group organizer sails for free.

8 cabins constitutes a "group" and will earn you one free berth (not one free cabin)

They didn't overcharge you - they charged the regular price with a bonus, the OBC. It's just that an agent decided to offer you an even greater bonus, by taking a cut from their commission. From what you said, though, many more agents also decided to offer you less.

I don't see that RCL have done anything wrong here. They haven't overcharged you.

OK RCL establish the prices so cannot really "overcharge" people. However, the RCL woman on the phone yesterday must have been trying to get herself a big commission (presumably over £800) for selling me the group booking. That's a big mark-up, whatever word you want to use.

And as long as the transfer works, I guess she has now lost that big commission. Maybe if it had been less, I would not have bothered transferring.

And a berth is a bed - so the price for one person in a certain stateroom.

And a berth is a bed - so the price for one person in a certain stateroom.

Thanks

It's when you have a baby :)

Jk.. berth = ONE person

So you need a female TA if you want one that gives berth :D

Mmm something doesnt sound quite right here. :confused:

Did the TA who gave you the lower quote mention you get free berth when you have a group minimum of 8 cabins booked?

If so...did TA say they would refund you later thr free berth cost or give you all a lower rate instead of the free berth?

When you booked with RCCL UK...did you book all the 10 cabins at that time...if so did they put you through to the group dept?

Thanks for the replies.

I got in touch with the TA and they said the time limit is 48 hours - fortunately I still have 24 hours!

I did the maths and it seems like I will be saving £800 (around $1500). I can forget about the £250 OBC that RC offered us with those kind of savings!!

The only problem is the TA is "having trouble transferring our booking". Hope it all works...

In the US there is a form that you have to fill out and fax to RCCL to facilitate the transfer to your TA.

Mmm something doesnt sound quite right here. :confused:

Did the TA who gave you the lower quote mention you get free berth when you have a group minimum of 8 cabins booked?

If so...did TA say they would refund you later thr free berth cost or give you all a lower rate instead of the free berth?

When you booked with RCCL UK...did you book all the 10 cabins at that time...if so did they put you through to the group dept?

Hi Liz, it makes no sense to me either. The TA said they had a 10% discount so could offer a lower rate. She said I would get a free berth, yes, or £300 off the total price.

With RCCL UK, I booked all the group in together. They are all on different booking numbers though, one for each stateroom. That makes things difficult!

Anyway, I filled in a transfer form and emailed it to RCCL. As long as they get it before 10 am tomorrow morning I suppose I can transfer the booking with the discount??

Hi Liz, it makes no sense to me either. The TA said they had a 10% discount so could offer a lower rate. She said I would get a free berth, yes, or £300 off the total price.

With RCCL UK, I booked all the group in together. They are all on different booking numbers though, one for each stateroom. That makes things difficult!

Anyway, I filled in a transfer form and emailed it to RCCL. As long as they get it before 10 am tomorrow morning I suppose I can transfer the booking with the discount??

Free berth or £300 off total price...mmmm...so can I ask which deal would have been better...the free berth or the money off?

Did the agent at RCCL UK not offer you the free berth also?

P.s. Can I also ask if you dont mind...are you by any chance from Scotland?

Free berth or £300 off total price...mmmm...so can I ask which deal would have been better...the free berth or the money off?

Did the agent at RCCL UK not offer you the free berth also?

P.s. Can I also ask if you dont mind...are you by any chance from Scotland?

The berth was worth £300 I assume ... I consider this to be the same as £300 off the final bill.

RCCL UK also offered us this but we opted for some OBC in each room as a surprise for everyone instead.

Overall, the TA was offering a group booking which costs £800 less than quoted by RCCL.

This has turned out to be quite stressful! I suppose I should have shopped around more carefully first. :(

So how did you get on Bobbyjean...did you transfer to TA?

Oh I must point out something...the RCCL UK agents dont work on commission....they sell the cruises at the prices on their system.

TAs who give lower prices are doing so from their commission.

Don't you also have the option of not taking the free berth and just taking that discount and cutting everyone's rate by that much? Maybe that is how they got it cheaper...It is a shame that RCCL doesn't price match...

So let me see if I have this right. The cost difference is $58.60 USD less per person through the TA than RCCL? That definitely sounds like the TA is simply cutting their commission. I do not believe the RCCL phone people get commissions so they cannot cut the prices to make the sale.

Archived