Will I be bored on Equinox?

Foncai

My husband and I are early 30s, we are traditionally Royal Cab cruisers.

We are looking at booking a family trip on the Equinox in May 2011 as we want to try Celebrity and a bigger ship, we also like the itinerary.

Q. Are we going to be bored? what with no belly flopping & pool side antics and late night disco from what I have read?

Are the people on board a bit more upmarket?

Just worried that we might not fit in as we tend to be loud and crazy and have loads of fun.

From what I have read Celeb Equinox pulls a more refined crowd...

There will be us, plus 11 & 12 yr olds & the grand parents ( 50s) and our BIL & SIL + 2 under 5s.

Let me know your thoughts

Foncai,

Maam you , the you the other adults , the children and your spouse may well have a great time.

Life, love and cruising are what we all make it.

Age is only a numerical value for indexing..;)

We are looking at booking a family trip on the Equinox in May 2011 as we want to try Celebrity and a bigger ship, we also like the itinerary.

Q. Are we going to be bored? what with no belly flopping & pool side antics and late night disco from what I have read?

Just worried that we might not fit in as we tend to be loud and crazy and have loads of fun.

From what I have read Celeb Equinox pulls a more refined crowd...

There will be us, plus 11 & 12 yr olds & the grand parents ( 50s) and our BIL & SIL + 2 under 5s.

Let me know your thoughts

Foncai,

Maam you , the you the other adults , the children and your spouse may well have a great time.

Life, love and cruising are what we all make it.

Age is only a numerical value for indexing..;)

Well said!!! (But I wish someone would tell that to my stiff joints!!! LOL

I would recoomend you try a Freedom Class ship on Royal or Oasis. That would provide you with a larger ship, a lot more to do for the younger people in your party, and a lot more energy/nightlife. I personally love Celebrity, but from what you state you are looking for in a cruise, I do not think that Celebrity is the best choice for you.

I am one who does not subscribe to the attitiude of "a cruise is what you make of it." If there is a lack of activities, there is a lack of activities. There is only so much you can do to entertain yourself in a venue that does not provide the activities. Now, that being said, I do love Celebrity for what they are good at, and that's beautiful ships and great service. They are my choice for cruising with my wife. As an active group, they would not be my first choice.

This is a response I gave a few days ago on a similar thread about the Solstice:

Let me be totally honest with you, because DW and I are also a 35 year old couple and I understand the desire to have options and things to do on a week long vacation. We are a fairly active couple, so just sitting around and relaxing is good, but not every single moment.

Your experience will be nothing like (RCI). Oasis and Royal Caribbean have numerous activites planned all day and in the evenings. Even when activities aren't planned, RCI always has physical things to do, like ice skating, rock climbing, Flowrider, zip line........ Celebrity (Solstice, at least) does not do the nightly game shows, karaoke, or scavenger hunt games like Quest, and self-entertaining physical activity is limited to Bocce Ball. The night time entertainment is limited to a couple pool parties, a live band in Sky Lounge, and softer music in a handful of lounges. Even the piano player in Michael's isn't nearly as entertaining as what you see in the Schooner Bar on RCI.

Quite frankly, DW and I did find ourselves bored at times.

That being said, I'm not saying don't cruise Solstice. DW and I were nightly patrons of the martini bar and we loved it. Solstice is a beautiful ship and is a notch more elegant than RCI. We chose this cruise because we were traveling as a couple, not as a group of friends and family.

Celebrity is a great cruise line for folks looking to relax. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you are the active type, do expect to find yourself bored at times.

I hope this helps. It's just my opnion.

I agree with Aquahound. You might want to also look at Costa and NCL. Lots of loud activities including the last night Toga Party on Costa, but the smoke can get quite heavy.

Hope you enjoy whatever your choice.

Based upon waht you have said regarding what you prefer in a cruise, I would say that you would be happier on Royal Caribbean, especially in May, when due to school schedules in the US, Celebrity will have many less chlidren/families onboard.

Whichever you choose, have a great cruise!

I agree with Paul. My hubby and I are in our late 50's and like the more quiet, relaxed, and refined atmosphere of a Celebrity ship (although we do occasionally choose a RCCL ship for itinerary). If you like lots of activity and nightlife, I would not recommend you try to find it on Celebrity as it is not there for the most part. Sometimes the atmosphere does vary by ship and itinerary (smaller ships and shorter cruises tend to be more lively) but overall Celebrity is more quiet and refined, Royal Caribbean is more active, noisy, and lively. These are my opinions, but I have been on Celebrity more than 20 times and have sailed most of their ships except Azamara and the brand new ones (newest one sailed is Solstice).

We're sailing Celebrity for the first time, have been on many Royal Caribbean cruises before. RCI does seem to have more activities for you to do. But it sounds like you're looking for a raucous party boat if you tend to be "loud and crazy". The standard answer of Carnival would probably apply here.

Celebrity cruises IMO are at a different price point and the crowd does tend to be more refined. The chances that you'd find others who are loud and crazy are much higher on Carnival, or even RCI, than Celebrity.

I'm kind of looking forward to less activities. For me, sometimes cruising seems to be stressful - I feel like I have to make it to all of the activities that are going on! Exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for! But I imagine that Celebrity has enough to offer where we won't just be sitting in the cabin waiting to get to the next port...

Archived