Anything you regret not packing???

Venicegal

2. Only balcony rooms and above have refrigerators on HAL. They are $2 a day to rent. I've put my rental request in. The refrigerators do NOT get cold enough to keep your meds at the temp they need, so HAL will refrigerate them properly for you at no extra cost.

How does HAL arrange for refrigerating meds? I take insulin and requested a fridge; the $2 a day seemed pretty petty (HAL virgin here...Princess, NCL, and CCL included fridges or gave them free for medical purposes). Insulin keeps longer and more effective when refrigerated; I have researched it and also experimented on myself with different storage methods. Some (like aspart) are more sensitive to temperature than others. Refrigerated or not, Lantus loses significant potency as an open bottle approaches a 30 day mark. Though the reason is unfortunate, I know more about storing insulin than the two pharmacists in my family... Anyway, I know the little fridges don't work THAT well, and if there was a way around it that would allow my insulin to stay "healthy," I wouldn't bother with the tiny fridge.

I got this info from my TA when I asked about a refer. I suspect they keep them in the medical suite, but ask your TA for a definitive answer. I am sure others on the board know, though.

We always take

• an over-the-door-organizer.
  • Laundry soap packets.
  • Dryer sheets (if you rub them on your legs or on the inside of your garment it will stop static cling),
  • one old "knee high" stocking (this will take the deoderant marks off of your dark clothing as well as other small surface stains);
  • THE CHARGER FOR THE CAMERA BATTERY AND AN EXTRA BATTERY (yep, you guessed it, I forgot that only once)
  • an old pair of running shoes for hiking-- if they get wet we just leave them
  • duct tape
  • an expandable bag for the laundry (on the ship) and for the goodies when we are heading home
  • 8x11 papers with our addresses for the insides of our suit cases- one for going and one for going home

I have gotten pretty good at not overpacking. I allow myself a bit more latitude on a cruise, as their is the option of laundry, but I try to limit it to less than 40 pounds.

I got this info from my TA when I asked about a refer. I suspect they keep them in the medical suite, but ask your TA for a definitive answer. I am sure others on the board know, though.

Yes, that is where they kept my Enbrel shot for me (RA medication). Southern Carib, Westy last December. They even gave me a 'sharps' container for the empty. They were very kind. :)

:) Copies of your health insurance cards.

Contact CC companies as to where you will be traveling so your purchases don't get "red-flagged".

For the ships with self-serve laundries -- detergent, stain stick and dryer sheets.

Extra batteries for camera -- we also pack a second camera as dear friend on our last cruse lost her's 3 times ! (Expensive to say the least).:(

Expandable bag for souveniors. Antibiotics for stomach

issues (cheaper than ship's and no chance of being quarentined).

Streamline your shoes -- I can do fine with one pair of black, beige and white.

An extra toothbrush or two (I ALWAYS forget this !).

Air freshener - optional

Photos of my pets and children.:D:D

For the ships with self-serve laundries -- detergent, stain stick and dryer sheets.

Dryer sheets are fine, and a stain stick probably is, too. But do not bring detergent. HAL provides a detergent which is environmentally friendly.

Zip Lock bags...in small and larger sizes...great for transporting wet bathing suits and protecting cameras!!! Also protecting possible "leakables" in luggage when going home

at least 1 large garbage bag per suitcase...I cover the packed clothes with it and then pack shoes on the top. They can double as laundry bags in a pinch.

Dryer sheets and Tide on the Go....one Stick Up air freshener....over the door hooks...playing cards...highlighter for the Dailies...address book for sending postcards...travel alarm clock...

I guess that is more than ONE thing, eh???:D

We always take

• an over-the-door-organizer.
  • Laundry soap packets.
  • Dryer sheets (if you rub them on your legs or on the inside of your garment it will stop static cling),
  • one old "knee high" stocking (this will take the deoderant marks off of your dark clothing as well as other small surface stains);
  • THE CHARGER FOR THE CAMERA BATTERY AND AN EXTRA BATTERY (yep, you guessed it, I forgot that only once)
  • an old pair of running shoes for hiking-- if they get wet we just leave them
  • duct tape
  • an expandable bag for the laundry (on the ship) and for the goodies when we are heading home
  • 8x11 papers with our addresses for the insides of our suit cases- one for going and one for going home

I have gotten pretty good at not overpacking. I allow myself a bit more latitude on a cruise, as their is the option of laundry, but I try to limit it to less than 40 pounds.

Just wondering and you need duct tape for?? My kids used it for everything not sure for a cruise.

Thanks!

Thanks to all contributors. Great stuff.

Unless you like knowing the time at night, your stateroom phone provides you access to wake up calls and if you are trying to lighten the load, you really don't need an alarm clock. If I want a back up I just use the app. on my cell phone as a back up alarm.

Also, if you just have a shower, bring a couple of really big paper clip thingys to put on the bottom of the shower and then the curtain will not cling to your body!

My netbook!! I couldn't survive without it!!

Everyone, good cruising and good weather to all.

Pooh

Just wondering and you need duct tape for?? My kids used it for everything not sure for a cruise.

Thanks!

I've used duct tape to keep the closet doors closed in rough seas and to hold items down in the bathroom and cabin as we pitch and roll (47 foot seas and gale force 9 winds will have you tossing and turning).

Thanks!

We used it to put our personal itinerary on the wall, fix a suit case, to remove lint from my husband's tux, tape the curtains closed...

Wow, thanx for the list and suggestions.

This is one of the many reasons I love this website. :D

Seriously. I have a note pad on the top of my computer monitor that I keep adding things to as I see them listed here if I think I'll need them. My goal is to be done with shopping this week so that next week I can clean the house, get food ready for the kids (my older kids will be staying home with grandpa hanging around) and to start figuring out my packing.

I'm getting the suitcases out today to start packing for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam. Is there anything that you forgot or regret not taking with you??

Ditto to many of the replies already posted....coffee mugs....extra memory for the camera...boy do you take a lot of pics in Alaska. I read these boards extensively before my trip and being a southern girl that gets cold easily I wish I had brought more warm clothes. I brought layers, but not the right kind if you are not used to the cold weather. I needed more sweatshirts and not so many t shirts. I did bring hat gloves and scarves and used all of them. It gets quite cold on deck especially Glacier Bay and you are out in it for most of the day. I focused on the waterproof stuff which I used also, but definitley needed more warm layers. We ended up buying HAL sweatshirts on the ship which was okay, but I have so many at home it was an unnecessary expense.

Things I forgot to pack leaving the ship:

My room steward

The dessert chef

the bartender in every martini bar

the laundry guys. (they make anything white glow)

the Neptune concierge

That should do it.

Gramps

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Love it, just love it!

How does HAL arrange for refrigerating meds? I take insulin and requested a fridge; the $2 a day seemed pretty petty (HAL virgin here...Princess, NCL, and CCL included fridges or gave them free for medical purposes). Insulin keeps longer and more effective when refrigerated; I have researched it and also experimented on myself with different storage methods. Some (like aspart) are more sensitive to temperature than others. Refrigerated or not, Lantus loses significant potency as an open bottle approaches a 30 day mark. Though the reason is unfortunate, I know more about storing insulin than the two pharmacists in my family... Anyway, I know the little fridges don't work THAT well, and if there was a way around it that would allow my insulin to stay "healthy," I wouldn't bother with the tiny fridge.

When traveling for any length of time I get my Lantus in a Pen, does not have to be refrigerated after one use. It's more expensive this way but worth it on a cruise. I also have my insulin (Humalog) in a Pen. I take this stuff 3X a day. I found the fridge in our cabin was okay for the pens not opened yet. Our cruises are no more than 7 days. The one problem I have is trying to keep a fresh pen cool on the airplane without freezing it with an ice pack especially when you have a layover before the next plane.

When our stewards found out about the insulin they brought us a sharps container, both DH and I use this. We have had the same stewards the last 3 cruises and they always remember this.

Archived