Anything you regret not packing???

Venicegal

For Alaska I would pack WARM stuff--fleeces, goretex, hats, gloves, etc. Also a good pair of waterproof binoculars for small boat excursions. A camera with a video component if you're doing any bear viewing.

On one of our first cruises I regretted not packing aspirin. I had to buy some onboard and it was expensive.

Ditto Cough syrup on another cruise.

So now I carry our own 'first aid' kit in a soft-side shaving kit: aspirin, cold pills, cough syrup, antibiotic cream, Imodium, meclizine (generic bonine), Vitamin C (I believe in megadoses at first sign of a cold), prevacid, alka seltzer, eye drops, aloe vera.

lots of sun screen and moisturizing lotion

We took a 3 plug. Turned 1 plug into 3. However, due to the size of our various chargers, we could only use 2 of the plugs at a time. I wish I had taken a power strip with 6 plugs. There were many things to charge between intensive port days. We also "rented" a refrigerater $2.00/day, which used 1 plug constantly. We found that sometimes the refrigerator was unplugged, when we returned to the cabin. I do not believe the cabin stewart did it on purpose. I think he needed a plug for the vaccum and forgot to plug it back in. However, if you have medication in your refrigerator, as we did, you should watch for this.

When we took our first cruise, I made out a list of things to do before we left and things to take along. I kept it on my computer so the next time and all subsequent cruises, I pull up that list and modify it for any changes and use it for the cruise I am getting ready for.

Over the years, I have updated it for anything I might have forgotten about but after several cruises, I am happy to say, I have not forgotten anything. ( knock on wood ). And right now, I am using a version of that first list to get ready to go to Alaska.

... always seem to forget a power strip to aid in charging all our "gear."
HAL doesn't want people bringing their own power strips any more. If you need one, ask your steward for an "approved" one early in the cruise.

"If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information."

HAL doesn't want people bringing their own power strips any more. If you need one, ask your steward for an "approved" one early in the cruise.

"If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information."

There's a story on CC home page about Carnival actually confiscating things. Nobody's sure what exactly they will and will not take, but they're worried about electrical safety.

I never take a power bar or anything like that. My electronics have learned to take turns being charged.

I use a checklist, and carry it with me so that I don't leave things on the ship, either.

Yes, my Cabin Steward for the trip home! :p :D

A second on the mugs, the coffee cups and drinking glasses are quite small.

I do take a mug as well as the cups are very tiny. Reminds me of a thimble.

FYI - on our last Holland America cruise, there was a staff member stationed at the drink station and they were refusing to let passengers fill their travel mugs because of infection control. The ship was not under any kind of special alert either.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I always bring an alarm clock that lights up so that I can see what time it is at night. I found one at Wal-Mart that has different switches on the bottom for each time zone. It's one of my favorite cruise items! I also like to bring a highlighter to mark things on the daily schedule that I want to do. Post it notes are nice to leave notes for my husband on the mirror. That way he knows where I am!

I'm getting the suitcases out today to start packing for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam. Is there anything that you forgot or regret not taking with you??

Yes, my husband. He did three cruises with me, then announced he had more than fulfilled his marital obligations on that score and would not cross the plank again.:rolleyes:

Definitely the clock you can see at night, as Venicegal suggested. And a watch if you don't routinely wear one; I don't because I use my iPhone as my timepiece but on board, with not using the phone or internet on the iPhone, I don't carry it around. If you forget, though, they sell very serviceable watches for 10 bucks in the shops.

Just back from the Maasdam; we took a high-quality power strip and asked our cabin steward if he'd prefer we use one of theirs; he looked at ours and said it was fine. So I think they are still a little flexible about this but sometimes we would come back and it would be unplugged because he'd needed to plug the vacuum in and hadn't remembered to plug the strip back in.

Yes, my husband. He did three cruises with me, then announced he had more than fulfilled his marital obligations on that score and would not cross the plank again.:rolleyes:

My husband is coming on number two. Unless I come up with a really wonderful destination I may be in the same boat, as it were.

Forgotten- sun lotion on a trip to Mexico. Boy that stuff is expensive in a portside shop!

Here are a few things I wish I thought to include sooner.

I have begun including a fairly large ice scoop in my luggage. ( Much easier than using the small tongs attached to the ice bucket.)

A bandana to cover my hair when out on the balcony. It doesn't threaten blow off in the stiff breeze the way a hat does.

A couple of fresh quart sized Ziplock bags. Seems as though they always come in handy for something.

At least three pair of cheap reading glasses.

Since when? They run out. Our last trip all they could find was a HUGE orange industrial cord which was filthy. Now we always travel with our own.

Here are a few things I wish I thought to include sooner.

I have begun including a fairly large ice scoop in my luggage. ( Much easier than using the small tongs attached to the ice bucket.)

What a great idea! Thanks!

Cheryl

For many destinations, insect repellent if you're the kind they love to bite. Strong stuff; the "biters" that I've encountered are tough and mighty. And remember to take it off the ship with you; does no good if left in the cabin. I speak from experience.:o

Archived