Anything you regret not packing???

Venicegal

Ankle-support hiking boots if you plan to do any real hiking. We did a guided hike with white-water rafting in Skagway. It had been raining so the trail was muddy and had several places with loose rocks and steep inclines. I had brought my boots so didn't have problems. Hubby wore regular running shoes and had some problems with slipping. I also wore my boots for the glacier hike and didn't get ice over the tops of my shoes and wet socks like some other people did.

We bring clothespins or potato chip bag clips to keep the drapes in an overlapped position, as we like a dark room! Also an "eyeglass repair kit" (replacement screws and a small screwdriver), an "emergency sewing kit", some duct tape (for various possible emergency repairs), and spare batteries for the alarm clock and my watch. :)

A night light for the bathroom. Either one to plug into an outlet or one of those battery-operated candles. I don't like getting up in the middle of the night and turning on the bright bathroom light.

I regretted not packing a sweater for our Mex cruise. Actually I regretted letting DH talk me out of taking it :( Ended up wasting time in San Diego buying a sweater :rolleyes:

Also, don't believe your friends when they say "oh I'll take today's pictures and give you a copy". Always be responsible for your own picture-taking.

We almost always have many more things we regretted packing rather than the opposite.

After having the experience of lost luggage for much of our European cruise last summer, we learned that we really could get by just fine with very little. Made us rethink packing since then. Alaska is a cruise that you would regret having any kinds of camera problems.

I will be taking a back-up camera, extra camera batteries and plenty of memory cards for both cameras. Raingear is a given. On our first Alaska cruise, we experienced rain on only one day on the 14-day cruise. A ship officer told us that the previous cruise had experienced 13 days of rain and one day of sunshine.

We almost always have many more things we regretted packing rather than the opposite.

Exactly! I have told my DW the Traveler's Mantra for many years "1/2 the clothes and twice the money" but as of this writing, it has fallen on decidedly deaf ears. Sigh... :rolleyes:

I also always, always bring an "over the door holder" it is amazing how much more organized our cabin is since we started using one of these. We also bring a "surg -protector" for our lap top and thank goodness since our cabin only had one electric plug :eek:

Next trip (if it is on Hal) a note to myself. Call for a refrigerator rental way in advance. How was I to know I needed to rent one "in advance" for our last cruise? :D: We have cruised on another cruise line and refrigerators have always been in the cabins we had. Besides the lack of electric plugs (none in the bathroom) one in the main cabin we missed the refrigerator the most. Forget getting ice (since most of our cruise we didn't have air conditioning on the panama canal cruise) the keeping things cold with ice does not cut it!

Next trip (if it is on Hal) a note to myself. Call for a refrigerator rental way in advance.
Or cruise on a Vista or Signature ship where all cabins have them.

Besides the lack of electric plugs (none in the bathroom) ...

What class of cabin was that? :confused: We were in a DD on the Statendam and an FF on sister ship Veendam, and both had "shaver outlets" in the bathroom. In fact we've been seven different HAL ships in cabins ranging from H to VA, and all have had bathroom outlets for use with a shaver. IIRC in S-class ships it is on the side of the medicine cabinet.

I try to pack medicine and items to cover all minor illnesses. On the last cruise I forgot nasal spray and that was the item we needed most of all., after a few days we went to the infirmary out of desperation. We were able to buy some there and my grandaughter was so happy.

Marcia

Or cruise on a Vista or Signature ship where all cabins have them.

What class of cabin was that? :confused: We were in a DD on the Statendam and an FF on sister ship Veendam, and both had "shaver outlets" in the bathroom. In fact we've been seven different HAL ships in cabins ranging from H to VA, and all have had bathroom outlets for use with a shaver. IIRC in S-class ships it is on the side of the medicine cabinet.

We were in a Cad D on Statendam. We didn't see a "shaver outlet" in our bathroom. Is Rotterdam a Vista or Signature ship? If we can go that will be our next ship? We had to plug DH's electric shaver into our surg-protector.

We were in a Cad D on Statendam. We didn't see a "shaver outlet" in our bathroom. Is Rotterdam a Vista or Signature ship? If we can go that will be our next ship? We had to plug DH's electric shaver into our surg-protector.
The Rotterdam is an R-class (that's the ship the class is named for) so you won't have a refrigerator in a non-balcony cabin unless you rent one.

You may not have recognized it, but I doubt very much that there was no bathroom outlet. That one usually has a switch on it to allow changing between 115v and 220v.

If you would like to, I can e-mail you a copy of my packing list in MS Word or in Numbers (for MAC). I have tried to attach it, but the file is too large for CruiseCritic attachment limits... :)

If someone knows how to create an http: for WORD or EXCEL or NUMBERS documents, please let me know - that way I can post it here :confused:

If you have a balcony cabin, a small squeegee may come in handy to clean the glass - on our last COSTA cruise the glass was only cleaned towards the end of the cruise since maintenance has to do this level of cleaning. I wish I had a squeegee to clean off the sea spray!

For Alaska I would pack WARM stuff--fleeces, goretex, hats, gloves, etc. Also a good pair of waterproof binoculars for small boat excursions. A camera with a video component if you're doing any bear viewing.

I had just the opposite problem when I went to Alaska the first time. I'd packed all my heavy winter clothing and it was the warmest week they'd had all summer. It was 80 and sunny in Ketchikan! Lesson learned, the next time I went I packed clothes that can be layered to adjust to the temperature.

I keep forgetting my dog! :D

This will be our first HAL cruise (on the Amsterdam), but I am a power researcher. Plus, we have the TA to end all TA's. She has cruised since she is 5, and has an in with all cruise lines, especially her fav, HAL. (I won't tell you how long she's been cruising...)

1. You CAN bring your own power strips. She called HAL and they said "of course..."

(I know what it says, crazy, huh?)

2. Only balcony rooms and above have refrigerators on HAL. They are $2 a day to rent. I've put my rental request in. The refrigerators do NOT get cold enough to keep your meds at the temp they need, so HAL will refrigerate them properly for you at no extra cost.

(This is the first time we've had a stateroom without a refer, so it seems odd to me. But, this is also the first time we've sailed HAL and the first time we've sailed without a balcony, so I've learned a lesson...)

3. You can put a night light in the bathroom. Researched that, too. :p

I had just the opposite problem when I went to Alaska the first time. I'd packed all my heavy winter clothing and it was the warmest week they'd had all summer. It was 80 and sunny in Ketchikan! Lesson learned, the next time I went I packed clothes that can be layered to adjust to the temperature.

When we went to Alaska they had a heat wave and it was 90 every day for the two weeks we were there. I had work out shorts and could have used more. But, it was still cold up on the glaciers and I needed a fleece, hat, and gloves. Lesson: layer.

Answered a similar question on another board, "luggage carrier". Need it to get on and off airplanes and the ship, for our two garment bags and small carryons. Especially at airports where you have to walk and walk to get a plane these days.

Archived