Legend 5/9/2010 review with pics

ChuckLL

Love your review, keep up the good work!

I have a question about anytime dining I've done it my last cruise but with a party of 4 with no problems. This year my group is growing to 8 right now and worried anytime with 8 people would be a little harder. Did you see larger group do this on this ship? Where did they have anytime on the second floor of the dining room?

Thanks for your help!

You took some GREAT pictures!!!! We were just on the Legend in March (see my review/pics in my signature) They must have changed up the itinerary a bit cause we went to Belize and then Roatan...either way such a GREAT CRUISE!!!! :D

Our last stop was Belize. We've been to Belize previously. Once we took a tour with Nacho and his wife Cynthia (NCQ Adventure Tours) to the Altun Ha ruins which was very nice. Once we had a tour planned to Caye Caulker that was cancelled for some unknown reason. The other times we've just stayed on the ship as I really like the color of the water where the ship stops for the tenders.

P1030527.jpg

We decided to take a tender and just walk around the tourist area this time. While we waited out a quick rain shower we stopped at the Wet Lizard and had some chips and salsa which was pretty good.

P1030579.jpg

P1030555.jpg

P1030552.jpg

When the rain was over we walked around a little more. Then grabbed a bite to eat at some place on the dock. The name of the place escapes me, but the food was pretty good. Then it was back to the tender and on to the ship.

P1030613.jpg

All in all it wasn't a day of fun and excitement, but that wasn't really what I was looking for. On this particular day we were just looking for some laid back relaxation which we did indeed find. Plus I good to use the remainder of the day to take some photos around a fairly uncrowded ship.

I did take this photo of a small island as we were leaving Belize that I thought turned out interesting. The sun hit it just right so when I zoomed in I got this.

Image2-1.jpg

Next up: sunsets/sunrises.

I apologize for not answering any questions. My internet connection went down plus I've been in bed with a cold or the flu. I will try to get to the questions now though.

katiecat: The Your Time dining (I call it anytime, too) does take place on the second floor, but I didn't really notice any large groups. There was one table near us on the first night that looked rather large, but I didn't count the number of people. I'm sure they'll find a way to fix you up though.

maggieworkman: We had a balcony on the port side of deck 7. Cabin 7170 actually.

I grew up in a rural area. We weren't far from the coast so I spent several summer days on the beach, but this was always during the daylight hours. When I was about 13 or 14 years old I went to a week long summer camp that was on the coast. One late afternoon near sunset we were playing volleyball on the beach. For some reason, just at sunset, I happened to look up at the open sky. I was amazed at the colors. I had never seen a sunset in an area where the sky was open. At the house the only sky you could really see was straight above your head due to all of the oaks and pine trees. That one sunset on that beach caused an addiction that is almost as great as my addiction to chocolate.

For someone who is addicted to sunsets/sunrises a cruise ship is heaven. You have open skies all around. Believe me, I take every advantage of that open sky. On any cruise I'm on from the 30 minutes before and after sunrise or sunset you can find me on an open deck on the side of the sun. Here are a few photos from this trip.

P1030861.jpg

P1030944.jpg

P1030841.jpg

P1010655.jpg

P1010488.jpg

I'm trying to think of what I might have missed so I guess I'll call this the miscellaneous section.

Wee Jimmy was the cruise director. He sometimes wore a kilt. I was okay. I'm not really a good judge as I'm not one that cruises based on the cruise director.

The pizza was still good. I only ate at the pizzeria twice, but it tasted as it always has. It seems like I had read a couple of reports on here stating that the pizza recipe might have changed, but if so I couldn't tell it. If I'm not mistaken the menu at the pizzeria did say that there was a 10 minute wait if you got the goat cheese pizza. On my previous cruises the goat cheese was always as readily available as the pepperoni.

We only went to the two production shows. Both were okay. I actually liked the performers but just wasn't crazy about the shows. My wife and I both agreed that the singers were extremely good. This was the first cruise that we'd been on that had two female and two male singers. We had a bit of a disagreement about the dancers. I thought that they did pretty good. My wife thought that they weren't as good as on some of our other cruises. I suggested that maybe the reason that they weren't as good was because they were wearing too much clothing which naturally caused "that look" to return. In my defense I'm only worried about the dancers' safety. The stage is at the front of the ship. The front of the ship moves around a lot. Long dresses and what not can be easily tripped over especially on a moving ship. It's not that I WANT to see lovely scantily clad woman. Surprisingly enough that explanation did NOT neutralize "that look". For some reason it almost seemed to make it worse. So I pulled out the camera and showed her the photo below from Roatan.

P1030155.jpg

Once again "that look" went away. I've got to get me one of those monkeys.

I really can't think of anything else to cover. We really didn't go to any of the bars or shows (other than the two production shows). We spent most of our time just relaxing on the balcony listening to the water. If you have any questions it might jog my memory so ask away.

I suppose the last thing to cover is the long sad walk: debarkation. We did self-assist as we've always down before. Maybe I'm mistaken, but always before it seemed like you could stay in your cabin until your deck was called. This time they asked for you to leave the cabin by 8:30.

The debarkation takes place on deck 2 so at about 8:15 we headed down to deck 3 at the front of the ship. Seems like our deck was the last called. Maybe around 8:30 or 8:40. Anyway we were crossing the street to the parking garage by about 9:15 so once it got started it ran pretty smoothly.

Before the debarkation process could start they did have a bit of trouble getting 3 non-US citizens to report to the immigration officials. Wee Jimmy seemed to be getting a bit frustrated near the end, but I suppose it all got worked out.

All in all it was a great cruise. One of the best we've been on. When I booked the cruise I was debating between the Carnival Dream or the Carnival Legend. I think I made a good choice. I highly recommend the Carnival Legend to anyone.

My husband and I sailed with you! Your photos are beautiful! My camera broke only a couple of days before our trip so I had to use my point and shoot which was disappointing! I still got some good photos, but they could have been better. I thought the little island was so neat! I plan on writing a review soon as well!

Did I miss the answer somewhere? :confused:

I did indeed say that I would explain that one didn't I? Okay, here goes...

We booked our first cruise in 2004. At the time I didn't know anything about cruising so I surfed the net looking for info. During my search I found Cruise Critic. I was very impressed at the Cruise Critic website and message boards. I found tons of information along with many wonderful and witty people. I also found the blue jeans wars. Back then blue jeans in the dining room was an explosive topic on here. There were many, many, many people very strongly opposed to anyone stepping foot into the dining room wearing blue jeans. This posed a problem for me. I love blue jeans. I'm comfortable in blue jeans. I wear blue jeans all the time. I also hate suits (especially ties) and playing dress-up.

I really wanted to try the main dining room on that cruise, but I also didn't want to risked getting attacked with a salad fork by someone in a blue jeans induced rage. With this in mind I bought my first suit in 20 years. I bought the suit, even though I hate them, because I'm basically a fairly good guy and didn't want to offend anyone. We ate on the lido the first night of that cruise. The second night I believe was formal night so I climbed into the suit of torture and noosed up the tie. We had a photo or two made. Then my wife asked to go back to the cabin. When I asked why she said it was to get me into my jeans because going to the dining room wasn't worth me being that uncomfortable. I asked why she thought that I was uncomfortable. Her reply was that she knows me and had been watching me. She was right. I was uncomfortable. So from then on out we ate on the lido deck on each cruise.

The reasoning kind of fluctuated through the years between me not wanting to offend anyone to me not wanting to be uncomfortable to me simply not wanting to take the chance of getting seated with someone so caught up in clothing that blue jeans offends them.

With the economy like it is this cruise may be our last for a while so I decide now was the time. Plus with the Your Time dining I could pretty much assure myself of a table for two. I did sort of meet the "dress-up" people part the way as I did buy a pair of khaki dress pants. I wore the khaki pants and the blue jeans about equally I believe.

I did an experiment during this cruise.

On the first night I wore the blue jeans and treated the occasion as a regular nice meal. The ship didn't sink as a result of my wearing blue jeans. I also couldn't recall what no one else in the place was wearing. I was too focused on enjoying myself.

On the second night I wore the khaki pants. No one cheered when I walked in wearing these dressier pants. I was a slightly bit less comfortable than in the jeans, but it did not affect the taste of the food. The food tasted just as good when I was in jeans as it did when I was in the khakis.

My third trip to main dining room I believe I wore the khakis. On this trip I consciously paid attention to what other people were wearing. If someone came in wearing shorts and a T-shirt I'd take a bite. If someone came in wearing a suit I'd take a bit. It tasted exactly the same.

As a result of my experiment I came to the following conclusions:

1. No matter what I wear the food is good.

2. No matter what others wear the food is good.

Based on that I've decided that I really don't care what other folks wear and if I do go on another cruise I intend to be comfortable. I paid for the dining room also.

My advice to new cruisers is as follows:

If you want to dress up it's a wonderful thing. Do it. Make use of all the wonderful photo backdrops and photographers. Have a wonderful time that you'll always remember.

If you don't want to dress up don't let it worry you. As long as you are dressed and have all of your "special" parts covered enjoy your cruise. You paid for the use of the same amount of public areas as everyone else.

And for those who want to be the clothing police have fun at it. Use it as a means to enhance your vacation. If I'm on your cruise you have my full permission to point and laugh at the poor gray-haired redneck in blue jeans who is trying to figure out all the utensils. I won't care. Know why? Because if I'm there it means I'm on a cruise.

My husband and I sailed with you! Your photos are beautiful! My camera broke only a couple of days before our trip so I had to use my point and shoot which was disappointing! I still got some good photos, but they could have been better. I thought the little island was so neat! I plan on writing a review soon as well!

What kind of camera broke?

I am needing a room that has a bed that can be slept on or an upper and am having trouble finding anything. I've seen pictures of sofa's that have no side arms, which I assume could be turned into a twin type bed compared to ones with arms, which would be uncomfortable for my 6' tall son. Any idea if this would be a comfortable "bed". I love your photos and your information and have been having trouble deciding what trip to take until I read your post and saw your photo's, Legend seems to be the boat and this itinerary seems to be the perfect one. If anyone could advise I would appreciate it.

I am needing a room that has a bed that can be slept on or an upper and am having trouble finding anything. I've seen pictures of sofa's that have no side arms, which I assume could be turned into a twin type bed compared to ones with arms, which would be uncomfortable for my 6' tall son. Any idea if this would be a comfortable "bed". I love your photos and your information and have been having trouble deciding what trip to take until I read your post and saw your photo's, Legend seems to be the boat and this itinerary seems to be the perfect one. If anyone could advise I would appreciate it.

My mom thought the sofa was just as comfortable as the regular bed. The bolster comes off the bag and it's made up to look the same.

I don't recomend an upper if you have 3 people in a room. It was comfortable enough, but going up and down the ladder all the time was a little scary.

Love your review, keep up the good work!

I have a question about anytime dining I've done it my last cruise but with a party of 4 with no problems. This year my group is growing to 8 right now and worried anytime with 8 people would be a little harder. Did you see larger group do this on this ship? Where did they have anytime on the second floor of the dining room?

Thanks for your help!

I sailed with a party of 7 last September...we didn't have any problems getting a table. Have a great time!

I really enjoyed reading your review. I've been wondering which Carnival ship to sail on next, and I think it just might be the Legend. It sounds fantastic. Your photos are beautiful, especially the sunrise/sunset ones. We were on the Imagination last week and docked right by the Legend in Cozumel. Who knows, we may have walked right past each other! Glad to hear you enjoyed the Victor Bodden tour as we are booked to do it in September. Can't wait to play with the monkeys!

I did indeed say that I would explain that one didn't I? Okay, here goes...

We booked our first cruise in 2004. At the time I didn't know anything about cruising so I surfed the net looking for info. During my search I found Cruise Critic. I was very impressed at the Cruise Critic website and message boards. I found tons of information along with many wonderful and witty people. I also found the blue jeans wars. Back then blue jeans in the dining room was an explosive topic on here. There were many, many, many people very strongly opposed to anyone stepping foot into the dining room wearing blue jeans. This posed a problem for me. I love blue jeans. I'm comfortable in blue jeans. I wear blue jeans all the time. I also hate suits (especially ties) and playing dress-up.

I really wanted to try the main dining room on that cruise, but I also didn't want to risked getting attacked with a salad fork by someone in a blue jeans induced rage. With this in mind I bought my first suit in 20 years. I bought the suit, even though I hate them, because I'm basically a fairly good guy and didn't want to offend anyone. We ate on the lido the first night of that cruise. The second night I believe was formal night so I climbed into the suit of torture and noosed up the tie. We had a photo or two made. Then my wife asked to go back to the cabin. When I asked why she said it was to get me into my jeans because going to the dining room wasn't worth me being that uncomfortable. I asked why she thought that I was uncomfortable. Her reply was that she knows me and had been watching me. She was right. I was uncomfortable. So from then on out we ate on the lido deck on each cruise.

The reasoning kind of fluctuated through the years between me not wanting to offend anyone to me not wanting to be uncomfortable to me simply not wanting to take the chance of getting seated with someone so caught up in clothing that blue jeans offends them.

With the economy like it is this cruise may be our last for a while so I decide now was the time. Plus with the Your Time dining I could pretty much assure myself of a table for two. I did sort of meet the "dress-up" people part the way as I did buy a pair of khaki dress pants. I wore the khaki pants and the blue jeans about equally I believe.

I did an experiment during this cruise.

On the first night I wore the blue jeans and treated the occasion as a regular nice meal. The ship didn't sink as a result of my wearing blue jeans. I also couldn't recall what no one else in the place was wearing. I was too focused on enjoying myself.

On the second night I wore the khaki pants. No one cheered when I walked in wearing these dressier pants. I was a slightly bit less comfortable than in the jeans, but it did not affect the taste of the food. The food tasted just as good when I was in jeans as it did when I was in the khakis.

My third trip to main dining room I believe I wore the khakis. On this trip I consciously paid attention to what other people were wearing. If someone came in wearing shorts and a T-shirt I'd take a bite. If someone came in wearing a suit I'd take a bit. It tasted exactly the same.

As a result of my experiment I came to the following conclusions:

1. No matter what I wear the food is good.

2. No matter what others wear the food is good.

Based on that I've decided that I really don't care what other folks wear and if I do go on another cruise I intend to be comfortable. I paid for the dining room also.

My advice to new cruisers is as follows:

If you want to dress up it's a wonderful thing. Do it. Make use of all the wonderful photo backdrops and photographers. Have a wonderful time that you'll always remember.

If you don't want to dress up don't let it worry you. As long as you are dressed and have all of your "special" parts covered enjoy your cruise. You paid for the use of the same amount of public areas as everyone else.

And for those who want to be the clothing police have fun at it. Use it as a means to enhance your vacation. If I'm on your cruise you have my full permission to point and laugh at the poor gray-haired redneck in blue jeans who is trying to figure out all the utensils. I won't care. Know why? Because if I'm there it means I'm on a cruise.

Brilliantly stated....welcome to the dining room!:D

I had heard the first night is considered "come as you are" since not everyone has all of their luggage, so I consider that a pass for a casual night.

Your Pictures are Gorgeous! I loved that little Island off of Belize...what a beautiful shot!

I really enjoyed reading your review. I've been wondering which Carnival ship to sail on next, and I think it just might be the Legend. It sounds fantastic. Your photos are beautiful, especially the sunrise/sunset ones. We were on the Imagination last week and docked right by the Legend in Cozumel. Who knows, we may have walked right past each other! Glad to hear you enjoyed the Victor Bodden tour as we are booked to do it in September. Can't wait to play with the monkeys!

If you were on the Imagination I have a pic of you sailing in.

Imagez.jpg

I would highly recommend the Legend. The only ship that I've liked better has been the Miracle (a sister ship to the Legend).

Tex is great isn't he?!

Obviously, I love the Legend, given that I've gone on the same cruise twice and am going again!

As I said before I told Tex about his popularity on here. Later on during the tour we talked about it again. He said that it might have something to do with his accent and his grasp of English. I don't think that's it at all. I think it's his personality. He seems to like what he does and within a very few minutes he has you feeling like you're riding around with a friend instead of a tour guide.

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience on the legend.

I enjoyed everything you put into it, Thank You!

Do you recall which broadway shows they did?

Could you tell me which nights they asked for formal wear?

Seattlecruiser- Thanks for sharing your time dining worked for you with a larger party.

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience on the legend.

I enjoyed everything you put into it, Thank You!

Do you recall which broadway shows they did?

Could you tell me which nights they asked for formal wear?

Seattlecruiser- Thanks for sharing your time dining worked for you with a larger party.

katie, the second night was the first formal night. The last one was either Friday or Saturday. Both of the shows were somewhat Jazz based. Forgive me for not remembering. I actually came down with the flu or a cold near the end of the cruise. I went to the doctor yesterday and am kind of dizzy headed from drugs right now.

I did save all of the Fun Times that list everything. I'll get the wife to dig them up when she gets in from town. Then I should be able to answer any of your questions.

Archived