Live from Quest -- May 15, 2010

What A Market

Tom,

I must say that I am disappointed! Sleeping? How can you be sleeping while on vacation? That's why they make the mattresses uncomfortable - you aren't supposed to actually sleep:p!

Ours was fine on the Journey but there have been numerous posts about uncomfortable mattresses. Hopefully, Azamara is taking note and new,comfortable mattresses are coming soon.

Happy to hear that you are enjoying yourself - even in your sleep deprived state! Did you have a Bellini in Venice?

Sue

Which category stateroom, although they should be the same. Maybe you prefer soft mattresses?

Deluxe suite on HALon Noordam. Deluxe suite on Westerdam.

I agree with you...they should be the same and I haven't found them to be the same.......

I have read very good things about Oceania's beds....can anyone who has been on Oceania comment?

Deluxe suite on HALon Noordam. Deluxe suite on Westerdam.

I agree with you...they should be the same and I haven't found them to be the same.......

I have read very good things about Oceania's beds....can anyone who has been on Oceania comment?

Oceania has great beds. I usually have to have a topper on a bed but it was not necessary on the Regatta. We'll be on the Quest in June and I'm hoping for a comfy mattress - crossing my fingers!

Hi, What A Market. We're all following your blog from Cruise Critic HQ, feel like we're right along there with you. And I've been on ships that were due to call at Sorrento four times -- and all four times we went to Naples. Sigh. And I love Naples! Maybe someday :)

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

OK, first mistake of the trip. I managed to sleep through the sail in for Venice. Here's the thing though. Sitting on deck outside of the Windows Cafe, drinking my morning cappuccino, looking out over the rooftops of Venice on a glorious, partly sunny day. So, I can't feel too sorry for myself. Anyway, the ship will take the same route out when departing tomorrow afternoon, so one more chance to catch the views of Venice from an upper deck of the ship. This is an overnight stay for the Quest, which is one of the things that attracted Heidi and I to this particular cruise. There are three planned overnights – Sorrento (which ended up being Naples – damn it all to hell), now Venice, and finally Florence (actually the port of Livorno).

Time for a couple of side notes. First on my note regarding over-sleeping this morning. Sleeping on the Quest has not been all that enjoyable because the beds, which to borrow a phrase from my kids, SUCK. The mattress is completely worn out, lumpy and hard. Even if the mattress was in it's original condition, I doubt it would be all that much better because it is of such a cheap quality. If Azamara is competing against even middle range quality hotels, all of which have upgraded to high end bedding, then it needs to get its head in the game. I read somewhere else on the Cruise Critic boards that Azamara was planning to upgrade bedding sometime soon. For me this didn't happen soon enough. Other comments on CC leads to the next side note. I had read that the Quest (maybe Journey as well) was beginning to show wear and tear throughout. This is not something I have noticed in any overwhelming way. In trying to be critical on this point, here is what I noticed in our cabin: one small chip on the edge of a bedside table and some missing grout around the inside and outside of the shower. That's it. As far as the public rooms, they all seem in very good shape. If someone is trying to compare the overall condition of the Quest to any newly launched cruise ship then I feel they are being somewhat disingenuous. A ship of this age is obviously not “showroom” new.

Finally got the name of our cruise director: Russ Grieve. As I noted earlier, Russ just joined the Quest at the beginning of this cruise. Prior to AZ and Seabourne Russ was with the production of Mama Mia for seven years playing one of the main characters. I don't know the play or the movie, so it didn't register with me as to which character he played. I believe he said he was doing the Broadway production of Mama Mia, so that's big time. Russ gave a 60s and 70s musical show in the Cabaret (the main entertainment venue on the Quest) a couple of nights ago. I don't really go for ship board style shows, but here's the thing, Russ can really sing. He is also extremely gracious with his time.

On to the first day in Venice and first recommendation: Get up early and get off ship as quickly as possible if you only have one ship day in Venice. Venice is extremely crowded with tourists. Heidi and I got off the ship sometime around 9:00AM. And went to the Accademia Gallery art museum. We spent a few hours there viewing the wonderful collection of Renaissance paintings from mostly Venetian masters. This museum is an easy walk from where the ship was docked. (Venice docking side note: The Quest was within easy walking distance of the Vaporatto and the water taxis. For that matter it was within decent walking distance of St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco), with the Accademia about half way from where we docked and St. Mark's. A number of the bigger behemoths (ships) were docked further out in the industrial port area. A crew member told me that the only form of transportation from where these larger ships docked was a regular taxi. If true, that hardly seems like the thing to be doing in Venezia. I will note though that a lucky Royal Caribbean ship was docked just outside of the Grand Canal, just beyond the Doge's Palace.) We then walked to St. Mark's. I last visited St. Mark's during the summer in 1977 and 1978 (My God, how time flies), and remembered thinking at the time how crowded it was. Well let me tell you something, I definitely was not prepared for the sea of people packed into St. Mark's Square. A person could practically walk across the heads of everyone and not touch the ground from one end of St. Mark's to the other. A shopkeeper in the Square told us the crowds in May are nothing compared to the crowds in June and July. The head reels!

This blog is not supposed to be a travelogue per se, but a few quick highlights: Get back into Venice at night, if you can. The crowds are considerably diminished. Learn how to use the Vaporatto. This is no more intimidating that using a subway in any major city, probably less so. Don't bother asking for recommendations for dinner on shore. I pressed a shopkeeper, who lived in Venice, where to go for dinner. After he rattled off a couple of places that advertise heavily, I asked for a place that he would go to for dinner. He told me that even Venetians are happy to get lost in there backstreets and just sit down someplace that looks interesting. This is what we ended up doing. It was a great night. Oh yes, do a gondola ride. Sounds cheesy, but if you are with someone you love, it's magical. Our second day in Venice consisted of another self-guided walking tour. We did hit the Guggenheim museum, which contains an overwhelming collection of modern art. Interesting contrast to the antiquity of Venice. One sad note for our stay in Venice – The Bridge of Sighs. It is under restoration, with the entire area surrounding the bridge covered in a massive blue advertisement for Mont-Blanc pens and watches. I guess Mont-Blanc put up the money for the restoration, but it is shocking how expansive the advertising is. Definitely ruins the experience of seeing most famous bridge, after the Realto. We get back to ship for our 2:00PM sail away. (Pushed back two hours from its originally scheduled time of 12 noon.) Heidi and I grab a table on the railing of the outside deck of the Windows Cafe and enjoy a nice lunch before the sail away. Announcements start popping up on the ships intercom system. Guess what? We are missing two guests who are supposed to be back on board. The ship waits exactly 30 minutes after the scheduled departure time, and then pulls away from our mooring. Even if the Captain had wanted to wait longer, I doubt he could have. A tug pulled along side of us before 2:00, and I'm assuming the port authorities call the shots on the comings and goings of the big cruise ships. We were told later that evening that the couple was physically fine. (People on board were obviously concerned.)

the sail way begins. Our seats on the rail at the back of the ship prove to be a perfect location to take in the views of Venice as they pass by. Arrividercci Venezia.

Hi What A Market !

Thanks again for your outstanding posts. I feel like I am right there with you. I hope you continue to have a wonderful Cruise on Azamara Quest !

Azamara should be trying to keep up with what other lines like Oceania are doing! Re HAL: I have had varying results with the mattresses on HAL.
We’ve had similar experience as you with the beds on Azamara & HAL. And Oceania beats them both. Overall, I’d rank them:

Beds & mattress

#1 Oceania

#2 HAL

#3 Azamara

Linens & duvets

#1 Oceania

#2 Azamara

#3 HAL

There are enough reports about problems that Azamara should pay attention. They could quickly move to the top of the list with a relatively inexpensive fix of changing out the beds across the fleet. I hope they do it.

What A Market - I'm really enjoying your travelogue. Thanks!

We’ve had similar experience as you with the beds on Azamara & HAL. And Oceania beats them both. Overall, I’d rank them:

Beds & mattress

#1 Oceania

#2 HAL

#3 Azamara

Linens & duvets

#1 Oceania

#2 Azamara

#3 HAL

There are enough reports about problems that Azamara should pay attention. They could quickly move to the top of the list with a relatively inexpensive fix of changing out the beds across the fleet. I hope they do it.

What A Market - I'm really enjoying your travelogue. Thanks!

Who makes the mattress for Oceania? Also, aren't the Duvets on HAL a function of the type of Stateroom you are in? On HAL, I've never had the ones (white) pictured in the brochures and believe they are in the Deluxe Suites. As far as linens, our last HAL cruise was on Eurodam in a Spa Stateroom and we had the wonderful greens and browns, but definitely nicer on a newer ship (this was in 2008).

And I agree, with the new prices Azamara needs to upgrade the bedding based on the comments.

Full disclosure, we were in a PH/Owners Suite on Quest and did not have the issues with beds and bedding mentioned by others.

Who makes the mattress for Oceania? Also, aren't the Duvets on HAL a function of the type of Stateroom you are in?
I have no idea who manufactures the Oceania mattress. Google may be able to help. They're called Tranquility Beds & the entire fleet will soon be upgraded with new Prestige Tranquility Beds once Marina is launched. Our worst bedding (linens) on HAL was on Prinsendam, their most elegant ship. Go figure.

Now back to regular programming with What A Market & his "live" reports.

Oceania's beds are GREAT. I wish I could purchase them. The sheets and duvet are really nice also.

8mma - is your pooch a Tibetan?

No, she's a Bearded Collie. Yours is beautiful! Too bad they can't go cruising with us. I loved the bed on Oceania - nothing disappointed on that trip - hope Azamara will be as wonderful.

Thanks to all for input on mattresses and beds on Oceania. I think we have established that many of us would really like to see Azamara give some serious thoughts to improving their mattresses and beds!

What A Market.....sorry ...didn't mean to hijack your LIVE thread.....we are all enjoying it...hope you return soon to give us all another update! Thanks for taking the time to do the LIVE reports!

Hope you are having fun on your cruise! They end all too quickly! :)

OK, at least for now, no more about beds. Shout out to Sue. I'm still really sorry we missed our originally scheduled cruise with you and Darren, but this cruise has been great. I probably won't get a chance to post more of this running travelogue or whatever it should be called until we get back to the States. Disembark tomorrow in Civit after a wonderful day two in Livorno (Lucca and Pisa today for day two. Lucca was wonderful. I should be called a must visit for this part of Italy. Pisa is one of those things I think you can say -- "Been there, done that." No offense to the inhabitants of Pisa.)

We disemabrk tomorrow in Civit, and then spend three days in Rome. That will give me a chance to figure out how to get home as British Air has cancelled our flight due the strike. I have numerous choice words for both management and the union on this matter, but don't want to be banned from CC.

For now, Ciao. I promise to post more when we get back to the States.

Have a safe trip home, looking forward to hearing about "Livorno", we too will have two days there and will spend a couple of days in Rome. I agree with your comment on Pisa, but love Florence, did you take ship's tour or private tour. Your posts are great! I hope this thread gets the beds upgraded, OK, enough already! Lanz

OK, at least for now, no more about beds. Shout out to Sue. I'm still really sorry we missed our originally scheduled cruise with you and Darren, but this cruise has been great. I probably won't get a chance to post more of this running travelogue or whatever it should be called until we get back to the States. Disembark tomorrow in Civit after a wonderful day two in Livorno (Lucca and Pisa today for day two. Lucca was wonderful. I should be called a must visit for this part of Italy. Pisa is one of those things I think you can say -- "Been there, done that." No offense to the inhabitants of Pisa.)

We disemabrk tomorrow in Civit, and then spend three days in Rome. That will give me a chance to figure out how to get home as British Air has cancelled our flight due the strike. I have numerous choice words for both management and the union on this matter, but don't want to be banned from CC.

For now, Ciao. I promise to post more when we get back to the States.

Tom,

I'm glad that you are having a wonderful trip. As to being stuck during the strike, can you think of a better place to be stuck than Rome? I think that I would try and suffer through;)! Have a safe trip home!

Sue

Have a great time in Rome. My favorite city in world!

I am not sure if you are checking the boards, but you haven't already made plans, you might want to contact Stefano at romecabs@yahoo (dot) com, and see if he or one of his drivers is available take you to Civita Di Bagnoregio (know as "Civita"), a simply amazing hillside town about 90 minutes from Rome as I recall. You can only get to the town by walking on a footbridge. He can also take you to his friends place where they make all kinds of wonderful jams including fig and quince as well as olive oil. We haven't been there but he sent us a wonderful gift. You might want to get out of the city one day.

Isn't it funny how differently people view things? I took pictures of those Mont Blanc billboards because I thought them fascinating - Juliane Moore about 50 times larger:rolleyes: than life size. Been to Venice so often that the bridge being renovated didn't even sink in but I kept wondering if she (Juliane) had seen the ads and how it would feel to be splashed across Venice that way!

What is the earliest you think I could book a flight based on a 5:00am arrival. I will probably use a private car. Did you have any concerns getting cleared to leave the ship. Many complaints about the beds on this site. What is your opinion of them as you have just completed your cruise.:)

Hi Waco

I'm not sure I can provide a perfect response to your question as we flew out of Rome a few days later. That being said, I know several people had morning flights from FCO on the day of disembarkation. I think the earliest (publically announced) disembarkation time was 7:00. There may have been people that discretely arranged earlier times than 7:00. The whole disembarkation process seemed pretty relaxed, which I attribute to the fact that it is not that difficult to disembark only 600 passengers. Another note: We saw very little traffic out of the port into Rome when we got off the ship at 8:30.

Beds: Don't get me started on that again. :)

Sorry for the long delay in posting anything about the trip. Here's some more.

OK, having a hard time keeping track of the days. Call it the effect of “if this is Tuesday, then we must be in Belgium.” Did I slaughter that quote? Anyway, the point is that after tearing around the coast of Italy for a week, I find my head spinning from the intake of so much beauty. We certainly aren't in Kansas anymore. Press on. Today is Dubrovnik. Good news, bad news story for our docking arrangements. Good news: We are docked, so it will be easy to walk right off the ship. Bad news: We are not tendering. Confusing? Here's the deal. If you dock in Dubrovnik, then you are not near the city center. When you tender in Dubrovnik you are directly below the main historical feature of the city, which is the fortress walls. The view of the city from below the fortress walls at sea level is beautiful. No matter. Cruising in this morning along the Dalmatian coast of Croatia is spectacular. Everything is steep cliffs, right down to the sea. Something else I had forgotten. It is extremely green. Beautiful, sunny morning. Perfection. AZ provides bus transportation to one of the main entry gates to Dubrovnik. The perk of having the shuttle service in many ports is a real convenience. Not having to think about, let alone pay for, ground transportation in a number of the ports, many of which are easily DIY, was a smart move on AZ's part. We choose to hike the fortress wall surrounding the city. Cost was 70 Kuna (Croatian currency), and this was all that was accepted, cash only. There are approximately fine Kuna to one American dollar. There was an ATM close to where the shuttle buses dropped us off, so easy to grab some Kuna on the way through the gate. I strongly recommend hiking the city walls. Every turn is, as they say, a Kodak moment. The hike along the walls is fairly strenuous, and at some points may feel mildly intimidating if you have a fear of heights. If these are not an issue for you, then spring for the tickets and do the hike. Another note on hiking the walls: I might think twice about doing this hike during the height of the summer. Between the crowds and the heat it may not be so pleasant. Anyway, once off the wall you can spend a lot of time shopping, eating, and drinking. The entire area inside side the fortress walls is given over to these activities. If enjoying a relaxing meal at an interesting spot is of interest to you, I strongly recommend Pupo’s. Watch Zane Lamprey’s episode of “Three Sheets,” if you can find it, devoted to Dubrovnik. Pupo is the featured place he ate and drank. Tell the owner, Victor, that you saw the program, and then sit back and enjoy. Don’t do this if you are not interested in drinking. Heidi and I had no such reservations. :) Dubrovnik is definitely a worthwhile port.

Archived