Time to put this rumor to rest - Tier level requirement changes to C&A

The above quote is what I think they'll do.

Ms. "you know who" assured us we would be "grandfathered" at our current level (according to that article) so I'm going to take her at her word. Unfortunately when I specifically asked my source about this, I received no assurances.

Well as we all know, 7 months is a long time.........things can change many times between now and January until they roll out whatever the final version is.

I'm still not convinced changing the system according to "days sailed" would be done retroactively. I'm thinking that may be a bit too complicated for the powers that be at headquarters. We're talking about millions of Crown and Anchor members. They'll probably just start the new system from scratch. Just my gut feeling.

Well that would be ridiculous. You mean none of us would have any level? Starting from scratch as less than gold? Or what do you mean? I'm ahead of that with Carnival.

Gina

I agree that this is a fair plan and would be happy with the change, but question how well C&A would be able to calculate past points. My dad & stepmother had troubles getting credited for some of their cruises from the early 80s. They had to provide proof, in the form of onboard pictures from those cruises. If C&A couldn't find their old cruises in the system to give them the per cruise credit, how can they prove how long the cruises were?

C&A knows about the cruises, but not who was onboard.

Although I have no insight as to how good or bad RCCL's IT department is, I

don't see how hard it can be to convert people from a credit based system to a number of days based system if their database is in decent form. If it isn't, well that's another story. I've worked with databases and as a DBA for 10 years now and nothing is impossible unless you're not willing to spend time and or money to make it work. Then, it can be.

I will give you some insight - in the past couple of years, their C&A system has sucked royally (pun intended). They "upgraded" the system in 2007 or 2008, with the result that many people could no longer access their cruise histories, found cruises added to their records or (worse) had them deleted. In fact, as of yesterday, they've messed up my cruise total again.

I have no problem with counting number of days. I've always thought that was more fair to those that take 14 day or longer cruises. If I'm not mistaken, Princess has both days and number of cruises as criteria. We have sailed them a couple of times and have another one booked. There are so many days or so many cruises which gets you to the next level. Whichever is most beneficial to you is how they add it up. Someone who sails Princess regularly can correct me on their program.......but I do think it is counted both ways.

Princess does do it both ways, but they don't give extra nights for booking in suites (they do give double credits for full suites, not minis).

As for starting from scratch on sea days, even after grandfathering people in, I guess I would object to that. We have over 200 nights on RCI, and I think I'd want that recognized going forward. Just because. They do know how many nights every cruise was and, if they are going to double up for JS/full suites, they can tell by the number of credits whether we were in one. So it can't be difficult unless they're too cheap to invest in decent software and people to use it (and see response #2 above):rolleyes:.

Well that would be ridiculous. You mean none of us would have any level? Starting from scratch as less than gold? Or what do you mean? I'm ahead of that with Carnival.

Gina

Nooo. Starting from scratch with the new system (days sailed) but retaining our current loyalty levels. For instance, if I have 50 credits when the system changes I will continue to have the same amount of credits, retain my diamond Plus status but from that point on my future credits will be determined by the amount of days I've sailed. That makes the most sense to me.

Or it could mean you'll be D+ aleady, depending on how many cruises days it takes and what length your prior cruises were.

I wished... To date I only have 22 credits. And that includes my last cruise on the Oasis of the Seas in a Crown Loft Suite which I absolutely loved :rolleyes:.

Nooo. Starting from scratch with the new system (days sailed) but retaining our current loyalty levels. For instance, if I have 50 credits when the system changes I will continue to have the same amount of credits, retain my diamond Plus status but from that point on my future credits will be determined by the amount of days I've sailed. That makes the most sense to me.

I guess that doesn't make any sense to me but at least we would retain our level. But there would need to be an accurate total count the way I see it. I really don't see how they would have a problem converting the old credit system to the new one. They know which cruises were how many days and they have a record of all our cruises - usually. All of mine are clearly listed in my past cruises on line.

Gina

I wished... To date I only have 22 credits. And that includes my last cruise on the Oasis of the Seas in a Crown Loft Suite which I absolutely loved :rolleyes:.

Not necessarily. If the new threshhold for D+ is 175 cruise days, and your 22 cruise credits were for a mix of 7-night to 11-night cruises, you'd probably have more than 175 total cruise days already. If they were all 3-4 night cruises, however, you'd still have a long way to go...

Number of Cruise Credits vs. Days Sailing vs. $$$ Spent???

There are advantages and disadvantages to each system and some will be happy and some not so happy...

My guess... the simplest answer is to leave the system as it is with higher threshholds announced for each level. I'll also guess that current members will be grandfathered (why not grandmothered?) in.

Number of Cruise Credits vs. Days Sailing vs. $$$ Spent???

There are advantages and disadvantages to each system and some will be happy and some not so happy...

My guess... the simplest answer is to leave the system as it is with higher threshholds announced for each level. I'll also guess that current members will be grandfathered (why not grandmothered?) in.

It's a patriarchal society still....at least according to RCI. :eek: I am the one who makes all the reservations and contacts RCI about anything....who do they send all email to? My husband. Even the email address has MY initial. They welcome my husband home - even sent him the new C&A benefit email - to my email address, not his. I on the other hand NEVER hear from them unless it's an automated email response to my message to them.

:D

Gina

I guess that doesn't make any sense to me but at least we would retain our level. But there would need to be an accurate total count the way I see it. I really don't see how they would have a problem converting the old credit system to the new one. They know which cruises were how many days and they have a record of all our cruises - usually. All of mine are clearly listed in my past cruises on line.

Gina

It doesn't make any sense to me, either. I can't imagine them not counting the existing number of days you have. Let's say all of my 25 cruises were 3-nighters on Monarch in a JS. That would give me 50 credits, and if (for the sake of argument) the new level for DP is 150 nights at sea, then I stay DP even though I no longer qualify under the new system.

But going forward I will only have the 75 nights at sea, no credits at all, so if they switch over to number of nights, create a new level (titanium, just for fun) at 250 nights, I wouldn't make titanium until my 250th night.

Is that you you mean (kewlguy)?

It doesn't make any sense to me, either. I can't imagine them not counting the existing number of days you have. Let's say all of my 25 cruises were 3-nighters on Monarch in a JS. That would give me 50 credits, and if (for the sake of argument) the new level for DP is 150 nights at sea, then I stay DP even though I no longer qualify under the new system.

But going forward I will only have the 75 nights at sea, no credits at all, so if they switch over to number of nights, create a new level (titanium, just for fun) at 250 nights, I wouldn't make titanium until my 250th night.

Is that you you mean (kewlguy)?

Exactly!

I think the way forward would be to copy the airlines system ie

to become gold, silver or diamond with the airline you have to fly x amount of miles in 1 year you then have to fly x miles the following year to keep your status.

so ie days needed for the following in a 12 month period

gold 3 days

silver 14 days

diamond 28 days

and to keep your status you have to sail in the following year

gold 3 days

silver 7 days

daimond 14 days

Exactly!

Don't feel bad, that would only take 58 more 3 night cruises:D Judging by some of the cruises taken lists on CC, there are people who could do that in just about a year:rolleyes:

I think the way forward would be to copy the airlines system ie

to become gold, silver or diamond with the airline you have to fly x amount of miles in 1 year you then have to fly x miles the following year to keep your status.

so ie days needed for the following in a 12 month period

gold 3 days

silver 14 days

diamond 28 days

and to keep your status you have to sail in the following year

gold 3 days

silver 7 days

daimond 14 days

I like the way National Car Rental originally did their Emerald Plus loyalty program when it first came out. $75 one-time up front fee, and you were a lifetime member. You have no idea how annoyed they get when I pull out a 30-year old original card and drive off in a Caddy for a Yugo price:D

It's a patriarchal society still....at least according to RCI. :eek: I am the one who makes all the reservations and contacts RCI about anything....who do they send all email to? My husband. Even the email address has MY initial. They welcome my husband home - even sent him the new C&A benefit email - to my email address, not his. I on the other hand NEVER hear from them unless it's an automated email response to my message to them.

Gina

Try giving them an invalid credit card number. Maybe they will finally pay you your due attention.:D

Gina

I too make all the reservations and handle all the travel arrangements for my new husband and me. Before we were married the communications came to me. Now they are addressed to him. This week my deceased husband got an email about his new Platinum benefits. He and I cruised RCCL twice during the 1980's. I guess his spirit was with new DH and me on the cruises we took before we got married.

As many have said, a new system will burn someone.

Changing from one to another may not be that complicated.

To me, it seems like the old system was based basically on the average that a "cruise credit" was base off a cruise being 7 nights.

Suites were an extra credit, and longer cruises (12 or more nights) got another.

Maybe they could announce that people have 6 months to contest the current accuracy of their cruise credits.

Lets say someone should have 24 credits making them diamond plus. They system shows they have 22 credits. That gets addressed an then we move on.

Here is their cruise history.

1X3 night in a suite..................2 credits...3 days

5X3 nights in an inside..............5 credits...15 days

7X7 nights in an outside............7 credits...49 days

4X11 nights in a balcony............4 credits...44 days

2X12 nights in a suite................6 credits...24 days

19 cruises, various lengths, 24 total credits, and 135 days at sea (but some in suites).

Some short, some long, some suites, but an overall average.

They are diamond plus now with 24 credits, by the current program guidelines.

To start the new system, based on the number of days cruised,why not just take their total cruise credits, an multiply it by 7?

That would give them 168 credits.(24x7) A few more than the actual days but they did cruise according to the guidelines.

Then Grand(parent):cool: them into whatever the current diamond plus level would be.

If the new diamond plus level starts at 175 days, they could bump their total to 175, or just award them the level and advancement would continue from the 168.

This system would allow cruisers to get credit for short cruisers in the new system, taking into account the old system guidelines. Dollars spent previously wouldn't matter, but it could in the new.

People only one or two credits short of a level might need adjustments, but this seems like a simple starting point.

Gosh..when I heard there were to be changes I just about had a fit...good to see we'll be grandfathered in.

Well, they can grandfather you in and then make new tiers, however, they can make a tier above D+ and they can certainly take benefits away just like they did with the Diamonds. They didn't take our status away but sure took the benefit away!

I've been thinking about how they could convert credits to nights (not convert our level but determine the new levels) and I think a number of 5 (or 6 if they want to slightly make it harder) would be the optimal choice. If they were to choose a higher number than 7 it would be a way for them to increase how many cruises the majority of individuals would need to reach a new level as 7 seems to be the average duration. I personally take mostly 7 night cruises and some people take longer ones, but there are also a lot of people "padding" with 3-4 night cruises which seem to be the cause of this sudden inflation. By using a conversion of 1 credit = 5 nights they can ensure that the new system would be fairly converted. By using 5 then a person could reach platinum part way through there 5th 7 night cruise rather than at the end while someone taking 4 night cruises would not gain the status till part way through there 7th sailing. If you look at the current rule of 12 nights gives a second credit with 2 12 nighters and a 3 nighter you can gain platinum. Under a rule of 5 that same set of cruises would give 27 nights, still making you platinum. The main thing to decide is if you gain Gold by completing a cruise as it is now or if it should be by reaching the converter number of nights. I have created a spreadsheet to explain for 5 as well as 6 and 7 nights to compare.:

Screenshot2010-06-03at111012PM.png

I've been thinking about how they could convert credits to nights (not convert our level but determine the new levels) and I think a number of 5 (or 6 if they want to slightly make it harder) would be the optimal choice. If they were to choose a higher number than 7 it would be a way for them to increase how many cruises the majority of individuals would need to reach a new level as 7 seems to be the average duration. I personally take mostly 7 night cruises and some people take longer ones, but there are also a lot of people "padding" with 3-4 night cruises which seem to be the cause of this sudden inflation. By using a conversion of 1 credit = 5 nights they can ensure that the new system would be fairly converted. By using 5 then a person could reach platinum part way through there 5th 7 night cruise rather than at the end while someone taking 4 night cruises would not gain the status till part way through there 7th sailing. If you look at the current rule of 12 nights gives a second credit with 2 12 nighters and a 3 nighter you can gain platinum. Under a rule of 5 that same set of cruises would give 27 nights, still making you platinum. The main thing to decide is if you gain Gold by completing a cruise as it is now or if it should be by reaching the converter number of nights. I have created a spreadsheet to explain for 5 as well as 6 and 7 nights to compare.:

Screenshot2010-06-03at111012PM.png

I think what also caused the inflation is the fact that they were giving everyone in your household the same status as you would have. For instance if my children were living here and cruised with us on their first cruise, they would make them Diamond which is ridiculous. I don't see how they justify just giving people a C&A status that they didn't earn just because they live in the same household. That's where they should change the benefit, not for those of us that earned it.

I think what also caused the inflation is the fact that they were giving everyone in your household the same status as you would have. For instance if my children were living here and cruised with us on their first cruise, they would make them Diamond which is ridiculous. I don't see how they justify just giving people a C&A status that they didn't earn just because they live in the same household. That's where they should change the benefit, not for those of us that earned it.

They should change that first before anything else. I could never figure out how they could justify giving everyone in the household the same status. I know of people who are Diamond Plus because of who their parents are or who they are married to. Even though they've only cruised once or twice. Never made any sense to me. I say if you don't personally earn the status you don't deserve it.

Exactly!

Gold star for me!:D

Don't feel bad, that would only take 58 more 3 night cruises:D Judging by some of the cruises taken lists on CC, there are people who could do that in just about a year:rolleyes:

If only Monarch were still on the Left Coast...

They should change that first before anything else. I could never figure out how they could justify giving everyone in the household the same status. I know of people who are Diamond Plus because of who their parents are or who they are married to. Even though they've only cruised once or twice. Never made any sense to me. I say if you don't personally earn the status you don't deserve it.

I completely agree. On Princess I get the black card (Elite) and DH gets a silver (Platinum) one. So all the free laundry goes on my account.:)

I don't see how they justify just giving people a C&A status that they didn't earn just because they live in the same household. That's where they should change the benefit, not for those of us that earned it.

I do see how. The only place where the number of C&A members in an area seems to be a problem is the Concierge Lounge.

But grouping families together for other benefits isn't bad. Boarding and leaving the ship would be an example. Priority boarding is not that big a deal when it comes to keeping people together.

Another example of living in the same household would be this. Say there are two Diamond Plus members. A husband and wife, both having gone on say 50 cruises together. Then one of them passes away. Then, some years later, the survivor meets and marries again. Their new spouse might have never cruised before. Wouldn't having to start over in life be enough?

Maybe living in the same house isn't a benefit of the C&A system. Maybe it is the benefit of being a family.

Agree......our daughter in mid 30's is Diamond Plus.........been on one cruise and we still get her mail to this day from RC:rolleyes: and she hasn't been in our household for 18 years.

Archived