P & O Loyalty program

Does anyone think it is about time P & O had their own loyalty program?

With Pacific Sun, Pacific Dawn, Pacific Pearl and Pacific Jewel, I think that is enough ships to have a loyalty program.

Give the loyal cruisers rewards for continuing to sail with P & O.

Linda

With Pacific Sun, Pacific Dawn, Pacific Pearl and Pacific Jewel, I think that is enough ships to have a loyalty program.

Linda

yes i think it would be nice if princess and p&o worked in with a loyalty program, if we are allowed to have the same status on either cruise line and get the same benefits

rkmw

Hmmm - a loyalty programme ?? I am not sure how other programmes work ?? - but 5% , 10% , 20% off WHAT???? We all know that the brochure price is a dream in the sky ( although some do pay it) . But for those of us who search and search and get the good last minute deals , what could P & O offer us as "loyal customers" ?? 20% off booze would be good.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Barry

Hmmm - a loyalty programme ?? I am not sure how other programmes work ?? - but 5% , 10% , 20% off WHAT???? We all know that the brochure price is a dream in the sky ( although some do pay it) . But for those of us who search and search and get the good last minute deals , what could P & O offer us as "loyal customers" ?? 20% off booze would be good.

Barry

I am not talking Past Passenger pricing, I am refering to loyalty.

Princess, RCCL, Carnival etc, reward passengers for being loyal with their cruise line.

Princess for example:

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp

Barry

I can still hear my mother quoting that saying, Barry!

Barry

I can still hear my mother quoting that saying, Barry! :rolleyes:

I agree. I'm almost platnium with Princess thanks to all my P&O cruises, but it's highly unlikely i'll be cruising Princess over P&O at least for the next 10 years while my kids are still young.

Let's get everyone to put it on P&O's facebook page too. The staff do read FB but i'm not too sure about CC.

I'd say they should too. With 4 ships, it's small but more realistic to offer a program.

That said, it doesn't tie so well into their positioning - loyalty programs tie into full-service/higher grade operators better. Still, with increased local competition and more ships in their fleet, they may well introduce something to try to encourage past passengers to stick with them.

I guess that I am more of a "what's the bottom line?" kind of person - rather than a "they love me" type. :p

Any benefits that passengers can get through a Loyalty Programme are welcome - but would they be any kind of determinant of my next cruiseline, cruise ship or cruise destination??? I don't think so - not unless the benefits were significant, and logic tells me that "significant" benefits could not be offered economically by any cruiseline until the loyalty points had built to an extremely high level. Might be significant for those who take 4 cruises a year or something like that - but then again they would be so wealthy that they would not really need Loyalty benefits.

Nah -- just show me the bottom line thanks.;)

Barry

Linda

RCCL have a great loyalty program. Once you have reached 10 cruises you are gold. You enjoy complimentary nightly drinks together with further discounts on balcony and above even after you have found your best price with a TA. This alone has meant we only now book on RCCL as to have 10 cruises in a lifetime under your belt offers a good reward by the company. So look out PO I say as RCCL are breathing down your neck in the pacific now.

I think a loyalty programme would be great. Some sort of recognition for loyalty is always good.:)

We're Platinum with Royal Caribbean, though the benefits were basic, we did get discounts while onboard. They used to have a gift of a hat for each cruise, but due to the GFC stopped that. They have just this week tweaked their programme with 'better' benefits. Only 3 cruise credits till Platinum and 18 till Diamond Plus.:rolleyes:

I must admit that the Captains Circle benefits on Princess keep drawing me back.

It would be nice to see P&O Australia do something for past passengers,

perhaps a free or discounted internet package, and a free bag of laundry per cruise would be a start.

RCCL have a great loyalty program. Once you have reached 10 cruises you are gold. You enjoy complimentary nightly drinks together with further discounts on balcony and above even after you have found your best price with a TA. This alone has meant we only now book on RCCL as to have 10 cruises in a lifetime under your belt offers a good reward by the company. So look out PO I say as RCCL are breathing down your neck in the pacific now.

It's actually 'Diamond', Gold is the first tier after completing one cruise with them, then Platinum after 5 cruise credits, then Diamond after 10 credits and after 25 cruises with RCCL the top tier is Diamond Plus.

Agree the benefits are excellent. That's why I have my 'Diamond' as my Avatar.;)

Jillybean:)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

The staff do read FB but i'm not too sure about CC.

I know that some Cruise Directors on both Princess and P&O Australia know about and read CC. The Pac Sun CD actually had a meeting for members of CC and Oz Cruising while I was on board a couple of weeks ago.

I actually raised with him the issue about loyalty / benefits for Past Passengers and got the impression that it has been discussed with him before by other passengers as he was aware of the Princess benefits for past passengers. I would say let's hope something comes of it but I wont hold my breath as he's now on leave.

• 2 months later...

Hi Linda, Seems like only P&O (U.K.) have their own loyalty program. This is known as the Portunus Club. We reached their 'Gold' tier after sailing in Oriana, Aurora and Artemis and our Portunus Club points were accepted by Princess Cruise Lines (Being owned by P&O and ulitmately carnival) This helped raise our status considerably with Princess. Hope to catch up on board Sapphire in September. Cheers P&K

Hi Linda, Seems like only P&O (U.K.) have their own loyalty program. This is known as the Portunus Club. We reached their 'Gold' tier after sailing in Oriana, Aurora and Artemis and our Portunus Club points were accepted by Princess Cruise Lines (Being owned by P&O and ulitmately carnival) This helped raise our status considerably with Princess. Hope to catch up on board Sapphire in September. Cheers P&K

I look forward to meeting you both in September. Not long to go now. :D

Linda

• 5 years later...

P&O AU has had the lions share of the cruise market in Australia for longer than I've been around. They had little competition in the past and treated their passengers well on board but as to pricing that is a different. Loyalty programs don't make me buy a particular cruise per say but if there is a similar product for around the same price with a line that rewards loyalty, then I'll probably choose the one with the program. Princess Is often cheaper on a twin share basis with higher standards of service and amenities. I get unlimited laundry. a mini bar set up and internet along with priority boarding and disembarkation. Princess will reward me for sailing with the P&O's but they wont for sailing Princess. You don't get priority boarding on P&O unless you are one of the first 100 to book on any particular cruise. Could be a first timer. That,s A great reward for paying a deposit over a year out. I'm currently booked on a P&O cruise for Easter break purely because the timing suited. I swore that I would not bother with them again more around the time Princess came on the scene, however friends have said that the product is good. We'll see. I will vote with my feet afterwards. I've done over 10 cruises with P&O mostly with our children when they were young and having 3 children their pricing policies really made it hard with their cabin rules of 2 adult fares per cabin. It basically doubled the cost of a family of 4. Many other lines don't charge for children and some up to 18 years of age. P&O will sometimes have very attractive fares but when you add the incidentals that are often included on other lines your so called cheap fare becomes more expensive than a so called premium line. P&O should throw their loyal customers a bone. I would say that it is one of a very small group that doesn't have a program. Even it's low cost parent, Carnival offers a VIP club for past passengers. The only benefit that we have ever received on P&O has been a returned Passenger Cocktail Party. It will be interesting to see if they have dropped that, even though the cost would be negligible as all the drinks are supplied at true duty free prices. Some schemes are useless and the benefits are rubbish until you reach some ridiculous amount of sea days. Look at P&O UK and you will see what I mean. On Princess and RCCL you are constantly reminded that your return business is appreciated. P&O Australia has always bought the retiring old ships from other lines, so we have always had to deal with hand me downs. I know that these ships fit under the bridge so they can dock at White Bay. (don't get me started on that one. What happened to the promised Barangaroo site with its 2-3 berths) However, they are expensive to maintain and are plagued with plumbing issues and general wear and tear. Whist I'm sure that the overall fell of these ships will be very good the fact remains that the cost structure alone would impact on the companies bottom line. How about they commission new ships of a size that suits. 70,000 ton ships are a good size where you can meet or avoid people.

Until they offer a premium product that is up there with the rest of them then they have to offer a loyalty program, and a good one, because slowly but surely and with increasing numbers people will leave and feel cheated out of so much.

Well written post David.

From my own perspective:

• I live in Brisbane, previously we have only really had P&O as a cruise option.

• At time of posting I have done 36 cruises (most 7 night cruises and most on P&O), and I am doing around 6-8 cruises per year.

• It would take me 1-2 years to get up the ladder on RCI and get some decent benefits.

• P&O give absolutely nothing to frequent passengers, not even things that would not cost them anything like priority boarding. They no longer do Captains Club, etc.

• RCI have announced they will have cruises departing Brisbane when the new cruise cruise terminal is build.

What this means is that as a frequent cruiser, why would I not go with RCI (or Princess) who reward frequent passengers ?

This means that P&O will miss out (without a doubt), unless they bring something in for frequent and past passengers.

Being a Kiwi we too are pretty much stuck with P&O unless we fly to Aussie. This doesn't bother me too much but I would appreciate some form of recognition for loyalty (not that I have many cruises under my belt but great plans now the kids have grown up).

You always read about the benefits that the other lines offer and while I understand P&O position themselves at the budget end of the market and are very much pay pay pay a programme could be offered that is low or no cost.

Things like

Priority Boarding / Tendering

Priority meal bookings

Ability to book specialty restaurants prior to the cruise

1/2 price coffees

reduced deposits

P&O AU has had the lions share of the cruise market in Australia for longer than I've been around. They had little competition in the past and treated their passengers well on board but as to pricing that is a different. Loyalty programs don't make me buy a particular cruise per say but if there is a similar product for around the same price with a line that rewards loyalty, then I'll probably choose the one with the program. Princess Is often cheaper on a twin share basis with higher standards of service and amenities. I get unlimited laundry. a mini bar set up and internet along with priority boarding and disembarkation. Princess will reward me for sailing with the P&O's but they wont for sailing Princess. You don't get priority boarding on P&O unless you are one of the first 100 to book on any particular cruise. Could be a first timer. That,s A great reward for paying a deposit over a year out. I'm currently booked on a P&O cruise for Easter break purely because the timing suited. I swore that I would not bother with them again more around the time Princess came on the scene, however friends have said that the product is good. We'll see. I will vote with my feet afterwards. I've done over 10 cruises with P&O mostly with our children when they were young and having 3 children their pricing policies really made it hard with their cabin rules of 2 adult fares per cabin. It basically doubled the cost of a family of 4. Many other lines don't charge for children and some up to 18 years of age. P&O will sometimes have very attractive fares but when you add the incidentals that are often included on other lines your so called cheap fare becomes more expensive than a so called premium line. P&O should throw their loyal customers a bone. I would say that it is one of a very small group that doesn't have a program. Even it's low cost parent, Carnival offers a VIP club for past passengers. The only benefit that we have ever received on P&O has been a returned Passenger Cocktail Party. It will be interesting to see if they have dropped that, even though the cost would be negligible as all the drinks are supplied at true duty free prices. Some schemes are useless and the benefits are rubbish until you reach some ridiculous amount of sea days. Look at P&O UK and you will see what I mean. On Princess and RCCL you are constantly reminded that your return business is appreciated. P&O Australia has always bought the retiring old ships from other lines, so we have always had to deal with hand me downs. I know that these ships fit under the bridge so they can dock at White Bay. (don't get me started on that one. What happened to the promised Barangaroo site with its 2-3 berths) However, they are expensive to maintain and are plagued with plumbing issues and general wear and tear. Whist I'm sure that the overall fell of these ships will be very good the fact remains that the cost structure alone would impact on the companies bottom line. How about they commission new ships of a size that suits. 70,000 ton ships are a good size where you can meet or avoid people.

Until they offer a premium product that is up there with the rest of them then they have to offer a loyalty program, and a good one, because slowly but surely and with increasing numbers people will leave and feel cheated out of so much.

On our recent PO cruise on Pacific Pearl No captains welcome party No returning passengers party no goodbye party No champagne waterfall and no pillow chocolates Together with the charges for breakfast in your room $5 per item and charges for the pool grill burger and chips $3 per item and the Pitza $9.50 why would we cruise P&O over Princess or RCI where everything mentioned is done and the food extras are FREE

We are about to endure two short cruises in Australia so that we can go to platinum for our August back to back in Japan on Princess later this year. So the reciprocal agreement between P&O and Princess does have some affect in our case. Possibly not what they intended.

Edited by lahore