early flight question???

For Tampa we were a couple of hours late. Had a fire and lost an engin. On another trip lost all power for a few hours and we were late getting in to the port. Also had a late ship because the port was to crowed for the ship to dock on time. I usualy go for 1:00pm but depending on the port and flights I have booked 11:30 and did make it with plenty of time. I think 10:05 is too early. On my last flight I got to the airport a couple of hours before my flight. At check in they offered to change my late flight to an earlier flight that was actual loading. I think I would book a latter flight and if you get theire early you might be able to change. You will probably have a fee to pay depending on the airline.

Considering they want you to check in at the airport at least 2 hrs prior, Considering that if you are not checked in at least 1 hr early they can give away your seats Considering that if you have checked luggage, the luggage must be checked in at least 30 minutes prior,,,,

You make the decision. :eek:

It's too close for me. Plus you have to remember not only do you have to get off of the ship, go through customs ( if you are searched add 15-20 minutes depending on luggage), drive to the airport (pray the roads are clear 20 min.) and make it through check-in and security under two hrs? I wouldn't risk it.

When I was on the Liberty last year my PVP said to definitely not book any flights before 12pm.

There are some people who do book earlier flights and get too them fine (especially if they do self debark.) but you really dont want to put yourself through the stress.

Also the ship may arrive in Miami at 8am, but people could not be allowed to even start to get off till 9, you never know.

YES!

I have always done the self-disemark and the earliest I have ever been to the airport is 0915 (and thats just stepping out of the cab). Miami airport has a horrid baggage check system that takes forever. You get your ticket, then your shuffled off to another line to have your bags screened. And the last time I checked, the screeners require you to be with the bag - you can't just drop it off with them like DFW.

We got to the gate just shortly before 1000 and went stand by for 1020 flight. But that's cutting it close if you're postive space.

1115 would be the earliest flight I would book.

Don't do it. Waaaaay too stressful, especially considering that even under the best of traffic circumstances, it is 20 minutes to the MIA airport, and there is never a guarantee that you'll get off the ship as early as you want. If you were sailing and flying out of FLL, that might be doable, but NOT Miami. I wouldn't book a flight before 11:30, just for the peace of mind. Who needs that kind of stress at the end of a vacation.....;)

Miami airport is HUGE! And it always seems our gate is at the other end! It can take 15 minutes minimum to walk to the gate sometimes - and we walk FAST! Too many variables (ship arriving late, customs back-up, Miami traffic, security) to make a 10:00 flight. The earliest I would book is 12 - and we try to book 1 p.m. or later. I would definitely switch it.

We will be on the Liberty in August and are looking at getting flights. The question is this...is a 10:05am departure from Miami airport to early if the ship is due in by 8:00am? I know the ships are always in earlier than the expected time but is this to much of a risk to take?

WAY too early.

Let me put it this way. I sailed on the Imagination out of Miami last year. I did VIP debarkation (literally one of the first 20 people off the ship). I was in my pilot uniform when I debarked (I'm an airline pilot and I was going straight to work). I went straight to airport and through the employee security checkline. No bags to check, no standing in line with regular passengers. I made it to my 10:30am commute flight to Atlanta with 10 minutes to spare.

So. NO, don't do a 10:05am flight. Even if you had a way to get off the ship and through airport security quicker than me, you're cutting it too close...!

DON'T DO IT! I'm with everyone else, way too early, think about noon and after.

You have been relaxed for a week, and now you would create a major stress factor. Take your time, have breakfast, enough the last moments on the ship.

We will be on the Liberty in August and are looking at getting flights. The question is this...is a 10:05am departure from Miami airport to early if the ship is due in by 8:00am? I know the ships are always in earlier than the expected time but is this to much of a risk to take?

I am normally one that says earlier flights will be okay but 10 is cutting it a little too close...

I'm sure the OP is being tempted by his/her airline of choice fare difference between an early flight or later.

Remember, these airlines know that cruise ships come in and price the flights accordingly. Unfortunately you will need to book the later, more expensive flight.

If you book the cheaper earlier flight and miss it - you are now at the mercy of the airline. Some will allow you to stand by at no cost for a later flight, but what if they don't have any open seats? You'll be there until they can find you one. They are not obligated to book you on another airline since it's your fault you missed the flight. Other airlines will charge you various fees to stand by.

Spend the money now and have a worry free vacation!

Try 11am or later

The reason this fare is so cheap is because it's basically non-doable after a cruise, and all the airlines know it.....which is why they offer it. I once booked a group of college kids on a Spring Break cruise out of Miami, and they insisted on buying return tickets at 9:45 a.m. I repeatedly tried to warn them, and even had them sign a "waiver of responsibility", advising them that this time was way too early. (I didn't book their air - they did. I just wanted it in writing that they'd been warned). Spring Break - last week of March, their ship and several others returning to Miami on a Sunday. Needless to say, they missed their flight and everything else had been booked for months. They eventually got a flight out on Tuesday afternoon, and had to call parents to pay for their hotel rooms. Fair warning!

Archived