I just got back from a cruise on the Elation.

I'm sure I haven't cruised as much as many of you (only 9 times) but this was my first on the Elation. It was a horrid experience. The beef on all the buffets and the Imagination Dining Room were the cheapest cuts available I'm sure. The lamb wasn't good.

The water slide was closed most of the 5 days we were there and my 11 yr old was very disappointed.

Only cruise I ever went on and lost weight which could be a good thing. I did eat a lot of cantaloupe and pineapple since it was fantastic.

Our steward was spot on but the rest of the cruise was the ABSOLUTE WORSE one I've been on.

Will never go on that one again.

One bright spot was the jeep ride around Cozumel. Try it. Jose and Nicko were great guides. I don't think I spelled Nicko's name right but they did a great job.

I'll be back. Have another cruise in September but it won't be Carnival. I recently retired and have more time now to enjoy myself. Thanks for the comment and word of appreciation.

I was just going by past experience. Most people who have only one post and complain about a cruise never come back.

True story. A friend of mine that cruises 3-4 times a year either out of Mobile or New Orleans called me shortly after we docked. She and her boyfriend had cruises booked on the Elation for October. She'd never been on the Elation since it's new to Mobile and had recently been out of California from what I was told. She's changed hers and leaving out of New Orleans now. Still Carnival though. Which I'm sure has some great ships,,,,, just not the Elation with it's present crew.

Hi MississippiMan -

Thanks for posting your experiences. That is disappointing about the slide being closed. I have an 11 year old too and that would be a big deal for us! Any reason given for it being closed? Hope your next cruise is better. What line?

Out of the 30+ cruises I have done on Carnival in the past 10 years, by far my worst one was on the Holiday out of Mobile.

But I figure, the odds are going to get you eventually.

We still had a good time. It was just not up to "par" with all the other cruises we have been on.

Sorry this one was not up to par for you.

We will be cruising on the Elation in August ... and if it isn't up to par....

we will know the odds are in our favor for the future. :D

I just can not believe that the Elation was not a wonderful cruise....I was on her for the 15 days it took to get her from San Diego to Mobile.....every day was wonderful......the crew was great.....the food fantastic......a most awesome experience going thru the Panama Canal.

I'm sorry that your experience was not a good one and hope that you will give her another chance.

Hi MississippiMan -

Thanks for posting your experiences. That is disappointing about the slide being closed. I have an 11 year old too and that would be a big deal for us! Any reason given for it being closed? Hope your next cruise is better. What line?

LSEA, they never gave a reason. My son was in line with the rest and once he got about half way up and the young man at the slide sent the kids back, starting with him. He closed it down around 2:30 that day. I asked several times why it was closed and was never given an answer.

We did play many games of putt putt though.

I don't know what line I'll go on next but will probably take it out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fl so I can get multiple choices.

Any suggestions?

I'll be back. Have another cruise in September but it won't be Carnival. I recently retired and have more time now to enjoy myself. Thanks for the comment and word of appreciation.

Makes you think twice about cruising on Carnival again doesn't it?

I just can not believe that the Elation was not a wonderful cruise....I was on her for the 15 days it took to get her from San Diego to Mobile.....every day was wonderful......the crew was great.....the food fantastic......a most awesome experience going thru the Panama Canal.

I'm sorry that your experience was not a good one and hope that you will give her another chance.

We cruised the Elation last August. Have to say it is not one of my favorite Carnival ships. We think the Paradise is nicer for a short cruise. Can't put my finger on why but have to say the food, service and ambiance are not as good as on other Carnival ships.

Interesting as I am planning on being on Elation multiple times next year. 2 booked, but want to turn at least one into a B2B and move my Ecstasy cruise ...maybe I should keep Ecstasy and drive to both ports as I have them booked...a week and a half apart?

Oh my god the Elation is my favorite ship. I don't eat beef or go on the water slides though. I have been on her several times. YOu might want to try one of the newer ships. They are bigger and have more options. Good luck with your next cruise though. I love sailing.

Went on the Elation in May. I found the beef to be very good-I love steak and always order them frequently on Carnival cruises.

With that being said, everyone in our group was disappointed with the Elation. It was our second cruise on the Elation. The reason I am posting this is because I recognize the need for businesses to hear feedback from their customers; both negative and positive. And, although I am thrilled to have a bigger ship close to home and thought the convenience was wonderful-my family told me they wished we had traveled further away to be on a better ship.

I do not understand why everyone thinks we should only post positive comments. If we post negative comments we somehow are totally negative people that made a point of being miserable on our cruise. Not the case. We had a great vacation; loved the crew, loved the ports...really had fun. But, for the interest of people shopping for the best use of their hard earned dollars and for the Carnival employees that read these boards for ideas on how to improve customer satisfaction, here goes.

The handrails were sticky; especially going down to the Serenity deck and in the front lobby areas. This was an infection prevention issue that really surprised us. It was not reassuring and it was unpleasant. Usually Carnival has someone washing down the railings on a continuous basis; not the case.

There were bad smells on the Riviera deck-smoke; maybe we were above the staff lounge? Sewerage smells. Never had that issue before; and we have stayed on the Riviera deck before. We could have asked to be moved but the cruise was sold out.

And, overall the ship needed refurbishment; faded carpet, graffiti carved in the brass around the elevator buttons, depressing colors in the cabin restrooms (pink/grey.) We fully recognize it is an older ship--but, still, it just was sort of a bummer.

I work retail and think that getting this type feedback would be helpful; so, flame away. It is the little things that keep customers coming back; so little things can also run customers away.

Mixed with the parking nightmare in Mobile; it was just a letdown. I wish we had chosen a bigger, cleaner ship and another port to take our only vaca of the year on. We cannot afford numerous cruises a year; we need the ONE we take to be outstanding. We can certainly "make do" and we did. We had a blast; but, I did not get the normal Carnival bang for my buck this time. Luckily, our wait staff and steward were the best ever--

There will be 7 of us leaving on Elation Monday. It is a few people I graduated with back in '79. Most have never cruised before. Hope they have a good time. I usually cruise out of Galveston because it's like 30 mins from my house, but since they all live in Alabama, we decided to cruise from Mobile. I know a cruise is what you make of it, but kinda worried hearing this..

Any suggestions?

Have you sailed any other lines? I have only sailed Carnival twice and each time I was very satisfied. On the second CCL cruise I had my 11 year old along and it was great. For anything 7 nights or longer though I would choose another line.

My favorites are HAL and Celebrity. I haven't traveled with kids on those lines but people who have say they do a good job with the kids clubs. I find the food on those lines superior to Carnival and I like the over all atmosphere of their ships. Price wise I think they are very comparable with Carnival. Princess is good too. IMO a compromise between HAL/Celebrity and Carnival.

Mixed with the parking nightmare in Mobile; it was just a letdown. I wish we had chosen a bigger, cleaner ship and another port to take our only vaca of the year on. We cannot afford numerous cruises a year; we need the ONE we take to be outstanding. We can certainly "make do" and we did. We had a blast; but, I did not get the normal Carnival bang for my buck this time. Luckily, our wait staff and steward were the best ever--

I thank you for your feedback. I love Ecstasy, which is the same size, who has a amazing CD and his staff loves him and the ship is beautifully maintained and per day rate runs more than $10 a day more than conquest for the dates I have booked.

You'all are making me decide, maybe I should keep my January Ecstasy booking, because I know the ship is kept up amazingly well. ...and just try Elation, even if it means driving to two different ports close together. Iv never been on Elation, but the prices are tempting.

Sorry Bud, but it can happen on any of the ships or cruiselines. We sailed the Elation 3 times without a gripe. The Holiday was fantastic on our first trip on her and was the worst the very next year.

I have noticed that the food quality is declining. The food on the Valor last year was nothing to write home about, but I think that you are going to see the cruiselines tighten their belts and start cutting corners where they can It is a sign of the times. As for changing cruiselines, we tried that with Princess and Royal Carrib and came back to Carnival. If I find a bargain on another line I'll book it but most of the time Carnival beats them handsdown for price. It is hard for me to go with anyone else.

Archived