NJ in November?

Ok this may be a dumb question but I was wondering how the weather in NJ is in November?! Never been there and know that it will be cold but wondering if I would be better to take a 12 day cruise out of NJ for a couple hundred $ more than a 7 day out of Miami! The 12 day is on Explorer and the 7 day is on LibertyOS. Thanks!

Ok this may be a dumb question but I was wondering how the weather in NJ is in November?! Never been there and know that it will be cold but wondering if I would be better to take a 12 day cruise out of NJ for a couple hundred $ more than a 7 day out of Miami! The 12 day is on Explorer and the 7 day is on LibertyOS. Thanks!

Not sure what information you are looking for but:

November Weather:

• Average High: 54°F (12°C)
  • Average Low: 41°F (5°C)
  • New York City weather in November can be chilly, but snow is unlikely.

http://gonyc.about.com/od/planyourtriptonyc/a/november.htm

Liberty leaves Nov 14

Explorer leave November 28

We are already booked for the LOS but thought about switching. I was thinking it would probably be a couple days of cold weather leaving and arriving in NJ but then, at least 8 days of warmer weather in the Caribbean as opposed to only 7!:D Just wondering if it will be worth an extra $200 or so pp.

November = cold in NJ

But if your leaving OUT of NJ that means you won't be here long...LOL. It's really not all that bad just means you'll have to wear a coat when your getting off the plane! We go to Mexico usually in November we wear our winter coats (ok I wear a coat my DH wears a heavy hooded sweat shirt) to go to the airport and pack it away when we get there. Then put in on when we are ready to get off the plane when we get back into philly for the ride home. Not that big a deal. I'd go for the longer cruise !!

Liberty leaves Nov 14

Explorer leave November 28

We are already booked for the LOS but thought about switching. I was thinking it would probably be a couple days of cold weather leaving and arriving in NJ but then, at least 8 days of warmer weather in the Caribbean as opposed to only 7!:D Just wondering if it will be worth an extra $200 or so pp.

The ship will be over half way to florida after the first 24 hours, The ship travels about 20 miles an hour, making it 500 miles south of New Jersey. By Tuesday Morning it will be fine, so really its just the first full and last full day that will be chilly.

Jimbo:)

megr- That bumpy, huh?! hmm....I have been on quite a few cruises but wonder how bumpy it will be in comparison to previous cruises in the Caribbean?!

Jimbo- that sounds great:D! I am so ready for this vacation!

Still not sure which we will choose but I think my Mom (who is going with us) is intimidated by the whole NJ thing! She is pretty set on leaving out of Miami. I, on the other hand, don't want to go anywhere near Miami:o! Oh, the decisions!

Temps in November in NJ are mid 40s to mid 50s, generally cloudy. Usually at some point around this time, the leaves change over to fall colors and the effect can be quite striking!

If you are concerned about cold temps having an impact on your cruise- they wouldn't for long. A friend of mine did the 12 night cruise out of Bayonne in January (definitely cold and snowy in January in NJ) and he said they were in warm temps on their first day at Sea (Explorer can cover quite a distance overnight).

For a couple of hundred, I'd definitely take a 12 nt over a 7 nt any day... of course, I live in NJ, so there's no plane fare to pay.

Cheers,

Paul

Temps in November in NJ are mid 40s to mid 50s' date=' generally cloudy. Usually at some point around this time, the leaves change over to fall colors and the effect can be quite striking!

If you are concerned about cold temps having an impact on your cruise- they wouldn't for long. A friend of mine did the 12 night cruise out of Bayonne in January (definitely cold and snowy in January in NJ) and he said they were in warm temps on their first day at Sea (Explorer can cover quite a distance overnight).

For a couple of hundred, I'd definitely take a 12 nt over a 7 nt any day... of course, I live in NJ, so there's no plane fare to pay.

Cheers,

Paul[/quote']

Thanks Paul! I would really love to switch to this cruise! It is just convincing my Mom to switch that is the problem. My husband is all for it! I think she is just set on going on Liberty since we haven't been on a Freedom class ship! I would love to do the bigger ship but since we just did the NOS in March, and I was sick 2 1/2 out of 4 days, I wouldn't mind the EOS at all! My biggest concern now is the "bumpiness" of the ride! I know you can have rough seas on any cruise but I don't really want to ask for it!:rolleyes: haha Big decision to make but I'm sure either cruise will be a blast!

I would do the switch as long as price is not that much more significant... Snow is highly unlikely.. There is days here in the fall in nj where it is like winter and days where its like summer all depends on luck

It should be pointed out that November is also often rainy. I hate a cold rain. :(

But, as others have said, you won't be in the weather up here long. Before you know it, it will be beautiful out.

I was on Explorer in January (of '09). It was snowing as we pulled out of Bayonne.

The seas were much rougher than they tend to be in the Caribbean, but neither DH or I mind it (we rather like the sway of the boat--rocks you to sleep).

By the second day, temps were ok to be outside with a light sweater or jacket.

The only drawback I found was that we needed to pack alot more than ususal. First, because of being on the ship for the extra days, and second, because of needing both warm weather clothes and cold weather clothes.

I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The Freedom class ships are admittedly nicer (mainly because they are newer), but there isn't really alot of difference between the two.

Have fun,

Rachel

We sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale in January western Caribbean on a HAL cruise and the first 2 days were SO bumpy! My DH put a level on the dresser and the bubble was going all over. Mind you he did this becasue he would NOt believe me ,or the water splashing in the glass ,or the people falling into the walls in the hall ways , or the bathroom door that was Slamming open and closed ...well you get the idea. I took some motion sickness pills and was fine by day 2. BUT that was out of Florida!! So I am not so sure just leaving out of Florida will guarantee a smooth sailing! Live on the wild side ...LOL....go for the longer cruise.

well bumpy enough for a dozen glasses to go flying in our suite and shatter into a billion pieces.(we had scored an upgrade to the RFS by booking a JS guarantee, so we were all the way aft, and it is bumpier there by nature)

..and for me to skip the final night's dinner and attempt to eat in the WJ.......i was carrying around a 'bag' and i am NOT a seasick-getting person....(i didn't though.....just felt icky!)

That said, the extreme bumpiness like that is rare, but if you expect a smooth ride the 1st day or so and last day, well.......uh, no....:p

and we love to cruise in late fall/winter..

well bumpy enough for a dozen glasses to go flying in our suite and shatter into a billion pieces.(we had scored an upgrade to the RFS by booking a JS guarantee, so we were all the way aft, and it is bumpier there by nature)

..and for me to skip the final night's dinner and attempt to eat in the WJ.......i was carrying around a 'bag' and i am NOT a seasick-getting person....(i didn't though.....just felt icky!)

That said, the extreme bumpiness like that is rare, but if you expect a smooth ride the 1st day or so and last day, well.......uh, no....:p

and we love to cruise in late fall/winter..

sounds like a double or triple dessert day:D

Jimbo:)

Thanks Paul! I would really love to switch to this cruise! It is just convincing my Mom to switch that is the problem. My husband is all for it! I think she is just set on going on Liberty since we haven't been on a Freedom class ship! I would love to do the bigger ship but since we just did the NOS in March, and I was sick 2 1/2 out of 4 days, I wouldn't mind the EOS at all! My biggest concern now is the "bumpiness" of the ride! I know you can have rough seas on any cruise but I don't really want to ask for it!:rolleyes: haha Big decision to make but I'm sure either cruise will be a blast!

Liberty of the Seas is a much newer ship with cool things not found on Explorer. You won't be making a mistake with this ship either! I LOVED Liberty... even more than Freedom (no, ships aren't really cookie cutter copies). She had an outstanding crew and captain when we sailed her a few years back.

I have a review of her on my site as well.

Either cruise should be spectacular!

Cheers,

Paul

We took this end of November cruise on Explorer last year, and we are taking it again last year. Our weather (obviously it can vary) last year was not too bad on the way down. We sat on the balcony with a sweatshirt until early afternoon of the first full day. On the way back, it was warm until about noon on the last full day (we went through a cold front). It got very windy and wavy in the afternoon of the last full day. The itinerary is pretty nice with six ports instead of three. $200PP works out to $40PP per extra cruise day, so not a bad deal! We had a great time last year, and are looking forward to this years cruise!

Archived