Stay one more day in San Juan???

We are on Serenade of the Seas Sept 5th. We get back in on the 12th and had planned to fly home that day on a 1245pm flight. Now when I look at the fare it is $300 or more for us to leave late that day as opposed to staying over one more night in San Juan (about $100.00) and having a really relaxing last day not trying to rush to airport and get home really late Sunday.

I hate to use another vacation day (saving for other trips but could make it up) but it really seems like it would end the cruise on a high note to have a leisurely day disembarking and fly out early the next AM.

It kind of seems like a no-brainer but my better half thinks we should just come home Sunday.

Any thoughts from those of you who have stayed on and those of you who undid all the relaxation on the trip back home???

I spent an extra day a few different times. The good thing about not flying out on your last day, almost all the passengers from your ship and any other ship that docks that day; they are all trying to fly out. The airport is a complete zoo, thus the higher fee. Airlines know all about cruise ships and what days they dock; so by staying an extra day; you don't have to rush off the ship; you can relax on the beach and the next day the airport will be way less crowded.

We did stay an extra day in San Juan after our cruise and I wish we had just went home right after the cruise. I prefer a pre-cruise day better than a post day cruise. Maybe it was because we had alreay been to San Juan a few times.

We like to stay an extra night after the cruise just so that we aren't in a total rush on that last day of vacation. We loved the Marriott Stellaris and are so glad we stayed there. Lounge chairs on the beach, just relaxing one more day -- we've never regretted it. Reality returns too quickly! If you can afford to take one more day of vacation, I truly don't think you'd be disappointed. Just one more day to spoil yourselves!

When I cruised out of Puerto Rico we left the ship and went straight to the airport. Even though it is an international airport, it's a small airport and the planes where delayed because of the iguanas sunning themselves on the runway. It was a mad house with all the passengers from 2 or 3 different ships trying to catch a plane at the same time. There weren't any seats in the airport and we wound up sitting in the floor until our plane departed. If I had the choice, I would fly out the next day.

We have done 3 cruises out of San Juan 2 we went home one we stayed. My wife and I both think staying is the way to go. That airport is such a cluster , we stayed at the Marriot Stellaris got it on Priceline at a pretty good discount we were there by 9 they gave us a room we were at the pool with a drink by 10 what a way to finish your vacation. The next morning we breezed throught the airport I think this is one of the few places I would stay if time permits.

We stayed an extra day in San Juan last week at the end of our cruise. Towards the last day or two on the ship I was really wishing we were just going straight home instead of staying. I did love what we saw of San Juan, but we got to the hotel way too early for check in so that took away from some. Next time, we will go a day or two early and stay before the cruise and fly straight home. I was concerned we wouldn't make our 11:00am flight so that is why we stayed. I think we would have made it but then again maybe something would have went wrong and we wouldn't. Who knows....:confused:

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Stay the extra night! We have cruised 3 times out of San Juan and love to explore the area. Last time we stayed 2 days pre curise and one day post cruise. The post cruise was nice because you could go down to Old San Juan and do lunch, shop, take in the history and then come back and have a nice dinner. It's a good way to wind down before heading back home. We have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde which is nice, the Intercontinental, very nice pool area, and the Marriott Mirimar which is to far off the beaten path but did have a couple nice restaurants close by which you can walk to. Overall I really like San Juan's history, the rainforest if beautiful, shopping downtown Old San Juan is fun, try Labomanera down in Old San Juan for Breakfast, It's wonderful! Have a great cruise!

We are on Serenade of the Seas Sept 5th. We get back in on the 12th and had planned to fly home that day on a 1245pm flight. Now when I look at the fare it is $300 or more for us to leave late that day as opposed to staying over one more night in San Juan (about $100.00) and having a really relaxing last day not trying to rush to airport and get home really late Sunday.

I hate to use another vacation day (saving for other trips but could make it up) but it really seems like it would end the cruise on a high note to have a leisurely day disembarking and fly out early the next AM.

It kind of seems like a no-brainer but my better half thinks we should just come home Sunday.

Any thoughts from those of you who have stayed on and those of you who undid all the relaxation on the trip back home???

We changed our itenerary of cruise vacations a few years ago. We will extend our vacation by spending a week on vacation AFTER a cruise. For example, when we ported out of PR, we spent a week at a PR resort, out of Miami, we went down to Key West, Callf, we spent a week in LA. Before we did this, we flew home right after our cruise and it was a bit depressing that our cruise vacation was over. Now, we sort of extend our vacation, when we get off the ship, our vacation is not over.

While I enjoy arriving 1 day early, just to get the vacation started, when the cruise is over, I'm ready to head home. Spending another day, looking at a suitcase full of dirty clothes isn't my idea of fun.

I guess you need to compare the cost of the flight to the cost of hotel, meals, entertainment, etc...to see what works best!

San Juan is definitely worth an extra day, or even more. However, it's not worth straining your relationship with "she who must be obeyed"? :eek:

Why not suggest an overnite at a Condado beach hotel? That could sway your better half.

It would cost more than a hundred bucks, but who's counting? It's vacation time. :p

BTW, where you gonna stay in OSJ for $100? Inquiring minds have got to know.

San Juan is definitely worth an extra day, or even more. However, it's not worth straining your relationship with "she who must be obeyed"? :eek:

Why not suggest an overnite at a Condado beach hotel? That could sway your better half.

It would cost more than a hundred bucks, but who's counting? It's vacation time. :p

BTW, where you gonna stay in OSJ for $100? Inquiring minds have got to know.

The "one who must be obeyed" is a HE and he is pretty flexible.

We are getting into San Juan Friday night before the cruise so we have all day Sat to explore but I am sure a day unwinding by the pool or beach will be welcome after. I did not even think about the fact that other cruise ships will be emptying out people and I bet the airport really is a zoo. I feel even better about staying over the extra day.

As for the $100. night, that is what I got on Priceline for the Sheraton Old Town for the 2 nights before the cruise. I have never been to San Juan but hear it is a nice place.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am really thinking the staying on is the right choice for us.

So now it is the same price to fly out Sunday or early Monday morning. I had pretty much convinced myself that I did not want to deal with the Sunday crunch to get out of town and the airfare justified it. Now I have to decide on paying another night and food to end the trip on a relaxing note!

Decisions, decisions!

Archived