military discount

paws43tails

just got to say thank you to carnival for their considerable military discount! they are the only line that has stepped up and offered the military a reduced rate... with so many folks coming and going in and out of hot zones their time with family is a treasure and carnival has enabled a lot of them to sail when they wouldn't normally be able to afford to... kudos to carnival who currently is standing alone!!!

We sailed on the Glory in November and received a military discount. When we called for pricing for our next cruise we were also given a military discount until I called the following day after checking with our group about price and found that Military discount had been removed from the cruise and was no longer available :mad: :mad: :mad: and the price had gone up by $400.00 pp in less then 24hrs, so instead of booking thru Carnival I went on line and booked the cruise with another site.

We also tried for the military discount and were refused for our cruise in May on the Valor. They said it only applied to certain dates and cruises. WHY?:( I am really disappointed with the things at Carnival now also, so we will be shopping around for our next cruise. They just don't offer any incentive to sail with them. This will be our 6th Carnival cruise and I like their cruises but now I see them as just another cruise line and will be comfortable going on other lines. I am NOT Carnival bashing either I like sailing Carnival BUT I will just look around more in the future for prices,discounts, etc. instead of cruise line because now I can see that a cruise is what you make it, not who's line you sail on.

I guess we got lucky because on our cruise they offered us a discount. Since we are going on our honeymoon we wanted to get a room with a nice balcony etc. so being that we got the discount it allowed us to book a nicer room while sticking to our budget.........man I am a little more than overwhelmed with the cost of a wedding these days and the discount was a big help. Another thing I would like to mention is the person that I have been dealing with at Carnival (her name is Hillary) has been so nice and has answered every question that I have had and has always been very pleasant and patient.

Maybe I should start a thread on dealing with people at Carnival and which ones you would recommend, because I would defientally recommend her.:)

May I offer a suggestion if you are on your honeymoon and have booked a room with a balcony. Do not put on your balcony lights ;) when having private moment in your room. We had honeymooners on one side of us when we went in November as my husband was just back from Iraq and we learned a valuable lesson. The balconys have glass walls rather then railing and if your lights are turned on your balcony (remember glass is a reflector) your inviting everyone. Just wanted you know that the person at Carnival was very nice Candy Carstens and apologized for change in pricing and offered to book for me thru other internet sites, do you suppose it was for the booking fee!!! She offered to give us a free bottle of Champagne and discounts on ship pictures but that does not come anywhere near the additional $800 we would have paid with her. We ended up booking a 8D cat on the Miracle sailing April 3rd for only $100 more than what was originally quoted so we are quite happy. Happy sailing to you too.

just got to say thank you to carnival for their considerable military discount! they are the only line that has stepped up and offered the military a reduced rate... with so many folks coming and going in and out of hot zones their time with family is a treasure and carnival has enabled a lot of them to sail when they wouldn't normally be able to afford to... kudos to carnival who currently is standing alone!!!

Actually, Holland America had a discount last year that included active military, police, firefighters, and teachers. I don't know how many sailings they offered it on, but we took advantage of it last year on the Rotterdam transatlantic.

Maybe I should start a thread on dealing with people at Carnival and which ones you would recommend, because I would defientally recommend her.:)

Although it would be great - the poweres that be on the boards do not allow anyone to be mentioned by name - this includes Carnival and other agents. So if you do post the thread don't except it to stay on the boards long.

PS - I love the military discount. Just wish they would extend extra cabins to those who have retired - not just those on active duty.

I think maybe it depends on the time of year. We sail over spring break and I have been told repeatedly by my Carnival rep that there are no more military discounts available. I booked the cruise over 9 months ago! I still call weekly, just in case! We also are retired, but she has never asked status, just said that no current promotions were available for military.

I booked through Carnival and after reading on another thread about military discounts, I emailed the person handling my booking. I received no response, which surprised me, as she was always attentive. I later received an ad about future cruises from another person and telephoned her. My first rep was no longer there and the new person taking over told me Carnival did not offer military discounts available for my sailing. Perhaps the discount is offered for certain cruises and/or there are blackout dates. I was disappointed but I am happy for those who received it especially the honeymoon couple. Congratulations melodienj and enjoy your honeymoon!

We're getting a military discount on 4 day cruise on Fantasy in Nov. It was only like $100, but we'll take it. My DH is a Navy Reserve Officer. We went through our TA, but when he talked to Carnival, the guy asked for enlistment papers, LOL, officer's dont' enlist so we finally got him to take a fax of his ID. He was surprised we were going on this cruise. Apparently they get very few officers on their shorter cruises. We're taking it because we're adding it onto a 6 day WDW trip. But, he did say not all the cruises have military discounts. I dont know if it's less busy times or what.

Thank you Linda, we are looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first tried to book our cruise we were looking into going on the Legend but that ship does not offer the discount. The rep at Carnival said that only certain ships offer the military, hopefully this info helps you out.

Yes I too have taken advantage of the Military discount but from what I am reading I must have done something right because on our last cruise Dec 03 Victory we paid $298.00 each $496.00 For the two of us and also was upgrade from inside cabin to a balcony on the Empress deck We were very happy I also read that carnival had extended its military rate for 18 more months but can not remember where I read it I know it was on a cruise web site but not sure which one I would ask about the 249.00 rate and that was for 7 night cruise I am retired US ARMY 26 year veteran. Just though I would put in my 2 cents. Happy Cruisin

I only received $50 off per person on our upcoming cruise in March (Sensation). We booked on Ocean View on Riviera deck. Also, booking with the discount, we were only allowed to book a certain room, and are not eligible for upgrades....is this a bad deal? Did I not get what I should have? It is Spring Break week, so maybe that had a bearing on it....

Last year we sailed on the Glory in June and had originally booked our son who is a Marine to go with us. He was unable to go but we still got the military discount. They didn't take it back.

Linda

No question, we were told by Carnival that retired or active duty could get the discount, all I had to do was fax a copy of my military ID. But apparently there is only limited offerings and we must have missed ours by 18hrs. Regardless we are looking forward to our next cruise on the Miracle 04/03.

I only received $50 off per person on our upcoming cruise in March (Sensation). We booked on Ocean View on Riviera deck. Also, booking with the discount, we were only allowed to book a certain room, and are not eligible for upgrades....is this a bad deal? Did I not get what I should have? It is Spring Break week, so maybe that had a bearing on it....

We only got $50/person on a 4 day Fantasy cruise. Apparently, you get more off longer cruises. We requested a Cat11 Verandah suite and that's what we were told we got. We're still waiting for the final reservation info from out TA.

We booked in October for our 4/24 Miracle cruise while the military discount special was running. I just keep an eye out for the specials and hit them then...they come and go, just like any other special. If you want it, you might as well book now and at least hold that rate. Our cruise has went up $425 PER PERSON for an inside cabin since we booked. Glad I grabbed it early. And believe me, no one on that ship will ever find out how much we paid...I don't want to deal with that.

Stef

Unfortunately since Carnival requires passengers to be 21 in order to travel alone, my brother (18 years old, single, and active duty Coast Guard) cannot make use of the military discount. :(

I understand the age limits are there for a reason, but for crying out loud these kids are defending our country! He and a few of his buddies were thinking of taking a cruise around Spring Break time but were told they can't unless they bring a parent along or are married.

Right...these kids were willing to pay a good chunk of money (for junior enlisted) even without any sort of military discount and Carnival clearly doesn't want their business. Heck, he couldn't even have traveled with me and my husband even though we're over 21, because we're not a parent or guardian. :rolleyes:

I believe he and his friends are considering a different cruise line, but are finding costs prohibitive.

Thank you Linda, we are looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first tried to book our cruise we were looking into going on the Legend but that ship does not offer the discount. The rep at Carnival said that only certain ships offer the military, hopefully this info helps you out.

The reality is that ALL the ships offer the discount, though only on SELECT sailings...

Typically shorter cruises are discounted $50-100 pp. 7/8 day cruises are usually $200 pp less.

I have a link to a web page which shows the military rates on 2005/06 CARNIVAL sailings.

If anyone wants the link my e-mail is :

gatrnol at hotmail.com

no spaces.... and use the "@" symbol............

I will be leaving (and away from my computer) for Tampa this afternoon (CRUISE) - so I may not respond for a few days...:D

Tom

Archived