Anything I should purchase in St. Maartin

I got a great deal on a cognac colored chocolate diamond in St Marten.at a store that had a sign outside that said we have chocolate diamonds..Boy oh Boy do they.I paid 705 CAN for a diamond that was worth 1250 when I got it appraised back home.something to do with the letter after J's..

While in St. Martin, we bought Marlboro Lights for $16 a carton - back home they are $55 for a carton. Any of the stores advertising cigarettes outside will have a bargain. Also, we bought some lovely jewelry from Joe's Jewelry - as a matter of fact, they called us yesterday to see if we had info for a ring we had looked at while there, but in the wrong size. They could order it for us and have it shipped to us. What store here would call back someone from out of the country? Great store - knowledgeable people - even gave my husband a couple of Heinekens (butter him up so he would buy me something)!

pardon me, thanks for setting me straight! either way, the chocolates are to die for.

If that's a thank you, then you're welcome.

If it's supposed to be sarcastic, then we really can't have cruisers marching up and down Front Street looking for a non-existant truck, can we.

I believe that if you order early enough they will deliver to the ship.

gary

If you smoke cigarettes and cigars.Also the liquor prices are great:D

Enjoy your cruise.:)

If you are buying cigarettes and happen to be in St Thomas VI, you can bring back 4 cartons form St Thomas imnstead of one. Be sure o get a receipt for the cigs in St Thomas, for customs. The never asked me for it but be safe.

If that's a thank you, then you're welcome.

If it's supposed to be sarcastic, then we really can't have cruisers marching up and down Front Street looking for a non-existant truck, can we.

I believe that if you order early enough they will deliver to the ship.

gary

it's a thank you...truck, car, whatta you want from a woman!

You can buy 10 pound waxed rounds of fantastic Dutch goua cheese for about $30.00. It makes an amazing souvenir for foodie friends, or you can just invite them over for a fondue!! They will even deliver it to the ship for you for free , so you don't have to cart it around with you while on land. Of course, it will have to be carried as your air weight may be in need of some help, but it is great. I came on here to see if anyone knows of another neighbouring island where gouda is also available as we are not stopping in St Maartens this trip, and my DSIL desperately wants a cheese fix! It freezes well for those who need to know! Any help on tracking it down appreciated. thx.

I agree that the liquor pricing is very reasonable in St. Martin!

There's a supermarket near the port area where the pricing was even better than the ship. Since I knew that I was buying liquor ahead of time, I purchased bubble wrap at a Walgreens near my hotel.

I also suggest the spices,esp the curry in the Marigot craft area. We do potluck for lunch at work alot. All of my curry chicken dishes were hugh hits!! I have people at work waiting my my return from my upcoming December cruise that want the curry chicken when I return. :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
You can buy 10 pound waxed rounds of fantastic Dutch goua cheese for about $30.00. It makes an amazing souvenir for foodie friends, or you can just invite them over for a fondue!! They will even deliver it to the ship for you for free , so you don't have to cart it around with you while on land. Of course, it will have to be carried as your air weight may be in need of some help, but it is great. I came on here to see if anyone knows of another neighbouring island where gouda is also available as we are not stopping in St Maartens this trip, and my DSIL desperately wants a cheese fix! It freezes well for those who need to know! Any help on tracking it down appreciated. thx.

Where can you buy this cheese on St Martin. Last time we were there we asked everyone and they sent us on a wild goose chase but still no cheese.

One of our favorite purchases was the Double sided doll. One side has a beautiful French woman, flip her upside down and she is a beautiful Dutch woman. My daughter loves her/them! We will be going back in March, and I plan to bring home a couple more.

Where can you buy this cheese on St Martin. Last time we were there we asked everyone and they sent us on a wild goose chase but still no cheese.

The last time in St Maarten, I bought a wheel of cheese at one of the pier shops. When I walked back to the ship I think it was one of the last shops on the left. The cheese was in a small refrigerator in the store. Hope you are able to find some on your next cruise.

We spent a week there and also visited many years ago via a cruise and tendered in to a pier just in the middle of Front street. How far away is the Summit docked from Front Street? If it is a ways away what would be the cost of a taxi?

thanks for any info.

Gene

We spent a week there and also visited many years ago via a cruise and tendered in to a pier just in the middle of Front street. How far away is the Summit docked from Front Street? If it is a ways away what would be the cost of a taxi?

thanks for any info.

Gene

Gene,

This discussion has been about what to purchase on the island. Your question probably should have been on a different (or new) thread.

But since we're here; I'm not familiar with the Summit, but as far as I know, all of the Celebrity ships call on Philipsburg. The Cruise Facility is a 15 - 20 minute walk to the 'head' of Front Street. A taxi into town is currently $3 p/p.

There is a Water Taxi that travels between the Cruise Facility and two stops in Philipsburg, one is the 'Little Pier' which is where tenders call. It costs $4 p/p one way or $6 for an all day pass.

gary

p.s. The Water Taxi provides some great photo ops.

I'll repost something here:

As strange as it may sound, we actually have three jewelers on St. Maarten, all located on Front Street.

Our favorite is Shiva's. We have been dealing with the family here for over 20 years. We believe that they have the very finest high-end jewelry in the Caribbean, especially diamonds and watches. We deal with Jay, but anyone here can help you. 75 Front Street.

Our second choice, for upper-end jewelry, is Ballerina's, next to the Courthouse. We have purchased a number of pieces over the last 10 years or so. We deal with Ravi here. 56 Front Street.

We also shop at Ocean Jewelers, a bit difficult to find in the Horizon View Beach Hotel mall, but well worth it for your less expensive pieces. We deal with DJ. 49-E Front Street.

All three of these are within a five minute walk of each other. Mention that Gary and MaryAnn referred you if you like.

If you'd like any more information, just ask.

gary

Archived