No more free ice cream on the Promenade?

rjg41

Quick note about ice cream: Per other posts on this board back in December and my own experience on the Navigator in November there is no longer free soft serve available on the Promenade. Free soft serve is now available on the pool deck outside the Windjammer during the day.

This was posted in another thread. Find it hard to accept and found some other posts that would seem to dispute it.

Comments from Navigator cruisers since December?

I'm going ot push this one to the top because I have read similar threads and would like some recent confirmation as well.

The theory offered in the previous post for the end of "sprinkles" was the constant mess that had to be cleaned in the area of the machine. Apparently, they are willing to deal with the mess on the pool deck, but not on the Promenade.

We were told we couldnt get a soda card after the first day. We didnt inquire until the second day. Guess we asked the wrong person. Sprinkles is gone but there is still frozen yogurt up by the pool.

You can also get iced water in a glass for free in the Windjammer.

Soda is 1.50, bottled water 1.99

The days of the week are on the elevator floor.

This was posted on another thread re: Mariner on January 11, 2005. Re: Navigator, the removal of Sprinkles was confirmed in a post by the captain's wife when this discussion started back in Dec. (I can't recall her name, so I can't locate the post for you...) Do a search on "sprinkles and promenade" in past 3 months and a bunch of threads confirming the end of soft serve ice cream on the Promenade will be listed. Very disappointing to our 6 year old, but unfortunately it appears to be true...

- PAGA

On the Explorer 1/16 there was still soft serve in the Promenade. However I did notice that there was a station for toppings, sprinkles, etc that was no longer in use. I can only imagine what a mess kids (and some adults!) would make with that!). There was also soft serve in the Windjammer. I also saw a station by the pool but I'm not sure if that one was in use or not.

HTH -

On NAVIGATOR the week of January 15th Sprinkles on the Royal Promenade was still there, but was covered up and not used all week. As a result (and probably the REASON Sprinkles is closed) Ben & Jerry's was doing a brisk business!

The only "free" ice cream are the soft-serve machines by the pool and in the Windjammer.

So, the answer to the question is the free soft ice cream, yogart or whatever it was, on the Promenade on Navigator next to Ben & Jerry's, that has been there forever, is GONE.

Likely that all Voyager class ships are soon to follow.

That's correct rjg41... It's no longer available on the Promenade, but the same "stuff" is still available in the machines in the Windjammer and by the starboard side entrance to the aft stair/elevator lobby.

Of course you're correct Jerry, it's definitely NOT "ice cream"... I'll just call it cold frozen "stuff"! LOL :D

I think this is totally ridiculous. I mean, it is quite obvious that they are removing these so that you have to go to Ben & Jerry's if you want ice cream and PAY for it. What happened to all-inclusive? It's bad enough that they charge for Johnny Rockets too.

Actually, while B&J may be a part of it, I can testify to some kids making huge cones and then rushing around the Promenade during the Captain's welcome on formal night. There were numerous "incidents" of kids getting the frozen goo on other people's formal wear. We also saw kids intentionally making a mess on the floor and the tables in areas close by (in fact this was just about the only bad kid behavior we saw during our Mariner cruise; otherwise, the kids onboard were great). I think having to pay for ice cream might help decrease the number of such incidents. (Please note: I am not kid bashing; I'm sure there are messy and inconsiderate adults, but we only saw this with youngsters.)

beachchick

)I think having to pay for ice cream might help decrease the number of such incidents. (Please note: I am not kid bashing; I'm sure there are messy and inconsiderate adults, but we only saw this with youngsters.)

beachchick

Is charging the only answer to solving problems on cruise ships these days? Charge for J.R.s to decrease the wait time. Charge for frozen yogurt so some kid won't dump it on your formal dress.

I guess money fixes everything. :rolleyes:

Just got off Explorer. The frozen yogurt machine on the Promenade was always available. The toppings bar was empty. Ben & Jerrys was closed for repairs until the last day.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

DH always took the stroll down the promenade in order to get his fix. We also found it in the Windjammer, and pool deck (though that one seemed hidden away)

Su

Is charging the only answer to solving problems on cruise ships these days? Charge for J.R.s to decrease the wait time. Charge for frozen yogurt so some kid won't dump it on your formal dress.

I guess money fixes everything. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess it would be nice if some kid didn't "dump" pseudo ice cream on my or anyone else's formal attire simply because said kid knows that doing so is wrong. Because this is not the case, some incentive (like money) is warranted. If the parents refuse to address the behavior, then the ship's personnel must. This may be one reason why they have closed the stations on the Promenade. That and the mess on the floor (both intentional and unintentional) and the tables. I don't mean normal mess; I mean kids taking this stuff and smearing it all over the table and part of the chairs. There is no excuse for that.

No, money doesn't "fix" everything, but in some cases it substitutes for some (not all or even most) parents teaching their children proper manners and respect for other people.

Frankly, I think your response is rather rude. Should I simply accept that poorly behaved children will ruin my formal attire? I don't think so.

beachchick

First, I wasn't trying to be rude and, no, you shouldn't have to accept that some misbehaved kid will ruin your formal attire. What I am getting tired of is the "fix" being to create various charges so that I can pay for someone else's poor behavior whether it be a kid or an adult.

I don't think that I should have to pay the price for someone elses lack of parenting skills.

I can't understand why everyone is complaining about this.

Besides the fact that the "ice cream" that they served was just plain bad, everyone that has sailed recently has said that there is still free "ice cream" on the pool deck. So, instead of going to the Promenade, take the elevator up a few floors and get all the free "ice cream" you want. What's the big deal?

-Rich

Just as folks have their own perceptions as to the quality of the food aboard the ships I guess the same is true about the self serve frozen yogurt. One person may find it to be "just plain bad" and another might like it a lot. Either way, it is probably much healthier to eat then the over priced fat laden Ben & Jerry's stuff.

Just as folks have their own perceptions as to the quality of the food aboard the ships I guess the same is true about the self serve frozen yogurt. One person may find it to be "just plain bad" and another might like it a lot. Either way, it is probably much healthier to eat then the over priced fat laden Ben & Jerry's stuff.

Ocean Boy I totally agree that tastes vary, but my point was that the free stuff is still available, just in another location....so why all the fuss?

-Rich

But it's simply a matter of going to another place. One reason that hasn't been discussed is in this great age of disease, "make your own" cones could be a risky proposition. Not to mention I've had near close encounters with kids bearing cones (not in my formalwear, though) I'm not a huge ice cream fan, but I'd be more upset if they decided to charge for frozen yogurt. B&J is premium ice cream; the stuff that comes from the machines is not. So it's not an even trade-off.

Oh, and B&J makes frozen yogurt, too. :cool:

Archived