Sea-Tac to Canada Place???

tedjazz

OK, I just spoke with a Princess Rep on the phone about getting from Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle to Canada Place in Vancouver. I think that is where our ship will be sailing from. She said to allow at least 7 or 8 hours if traveling by car. She said with a Saturday Departure in late May, the border will be packed and there could be very long lines and very long waits. Of course I'm hoping that some of you may have some experience with this. We are scheduled to arrive at Sea-Tac at 10:15am and pick up our rental car from Hertz then head for the border. Our ship, the Island Princess, departs at 5:30pm. Will we be pressing our luck to try doing it that way? Please give me your opinions about this thanks.

I haven't crossed the Canadian border via auto lately but I did have that experience from Mexico back to the U.S. and we did a 70-mile detour to avoid the 2-3 HOUR WAIT at the border.

I doubt it will be any different at Canada especially coming back into the U.S. The U.S. has tightened Canadian border controls recently as Canada has a very liberal immigration policy so supposedly it is very easy for anyone to come to Canada. This has been going on since 9/11.

From what I read on postings, allow 2-3 hours at the borders coming and going. I've decided to avoid Seattle due to this. I don't want to spend 3+ hours each way waiting at the borders. For me, there is only a $80 difference in flying into Vancouver rather than Seattle. If you've been traveling anywhere outside of the U.S. and return via rail, auto or air, the delays are standard protocol.

Just my opinion -- you're cutting it too close. We flew into Seattle the night before and didn't have any trouble crossing the border at 10:00 in the morning, but going back the next Sunday, at about 1:30, there was quite a long wait of cars heading into Canada -- we didn't have much delay (about 10-15 minutes), but they were lined up quite a ways the other direction.

If you land on time, at 10:15, figure at least 1/2 an hour to get off the plane and get your luggage. Another 1/2 an hour to get the rental car arrangements made and actually get to the car. Even without much delay at the border, you're looking at probably 3 1/2 hours driving time -- that is going to be 2:15. By the time you locate the car rental return agency, drop the car off, get transported to the pier, check in (the lines were pretty long when we were there), you won't be any earlier than 3:00 -- and that is assuming absolutely no other delays. I don't know what time you're required to be on the ship, but I would assume not later than 4:30. If you run into 2 or 3 hour delays at the border crossing you might be watching your ship sail off without you.

To me, it just wouldn't be worth the risk. If you have to fly in the day you sail, I would see if your flight time qualifies for a ship arranged transfer -- I think you would be less likely to be left behind that way. I would really recommend flying in the night before -- I think our hotel was only about $70, and it was worth it for my peace of mind.

OK, I just spoke with a Princess Rep on the phone about getting from Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle to Canada Place in Vancouver. I think that is where our ship will be sailing from. She said to allow at least 7 or 8 hours if traveling by car. She said with a Saturday Departure in late May, the border will be packed and there could be very long lines and very long waits.

As in Memorial Day weekend?? Yikes - I would start thinking about Plan B if I were you.

Some options -

1. Air Canada Jazz - one way from SEA to YVR on 5/28 (if that's your day) 12:50 pm - 1:40 pm, US$72 one way. (My choice.) http://www.aircanada.com/en/us/home.html

2. Quick Coach - Lv. Sea-Tac 11:30, arrive Canada Place 3:30 or so, $45 or so each (summer rates not yet posted.) http://www.quickcoach.com/

3. Drive like hell, cost around $100-200 including taxes and drop fee.

I too agree- you are cutting this WAY TOO CLOSE. For clarification- anyone considering this option needs to arrive the DAY BEFORE. It doesn't sound like you are familiar with either area?? Vancouver is all city driving to Canada Place, you also have to gas up and return the car. Not likely to get your bags much before 11:15 and then you have to get the car. NOPE, definately look at the flying option.

If you continue to go with this plan, get a GOOD map and consider the Lynden crossing. Again ALL city stop and go driving, but I have had less waits in this crossing vs Blaine.

If you can reschedule flights for an arrival the day before it might make things easier for all....you can Priceline a 3* hotel with free airport shuttle near SEA-TAC for $35/night (under $50 including taxes and fees) and then you could either take the shuttle back to the airport in the early AM and pick up the rental car, or take the AM Amtrak to Vancouver (a very nice scenic ride, arrives about 11:30 in Vancouver) and you can avoid the border lines altogether...the train is about $24 pp 1 way (less if you have AAA)....so for the price of a rental car 2 people can overnight in Seattle and train ride it to Vancouver.

If you cannot rearrange flight dates/times I would definately fly to Vancouver....nothing worse than starting out a vacation being so rushed and worried about making the ship on time.... yuck

I'm getting indigestion just thinking about this plan. It may be doable, but you'd be cutting it very close and if the terror alert was elevated or if something was going on at the border, you'd probably miss the ship. Budget Queen is right about the Lynden border crossing, it's usually a little faster than the one at the Peace Arch. Still, I'd probably try to fly the night before if at all possible. Or, go with the Princess transfer if they've got one, that way the ship waits for you if you get stuck at the border.

First, and foremost, scan back through some old messages and you will see this topic covered often. You will see some good advice.

Next - the Princess rep is nuts. 7-8 hours is out of whack. In fact, most of the cruiselines will sell you transportation for same day arrival.

Going into Canada does not have as much wait as going into the US. They are not as NUTS about security as we are. That is another topic for another day though.

As almost everyone will suggest, flying on the SAME day as your cruise is possible, but to most people not worth the risk. One reasonable delay and you could miss the cruise ship, and getting to the first port of call could be a major hassle. Not worth it, especially when you could enjoy some time in either Seattle or Vancouver.

Again, scroll back through old messages and you will get some good input from folks that have done this (and may not be participating on the message boards at this time)

And one never knows what will happen while at the airport either. Last time I landed at SeaTac our plan sat on the runway for 30 minutes additional time as the plane in front of us could get not a correct count for baggage. Also I have missed flights because I was at the airport within 2 hours of the flight but there was a security scare at the airport and missed my plane Anyone who travels much since 09/11 can tell you expect the unexpected. The days of coming to the airport 30 minutes (or even 1 hour) before are NONEXISTENT.

I guess what we are all trying to say is do whatever you can to ensure you won't miss your ship. If at all possible, fly the day before. Many of us here are experienced cruisers and have suffered the pitfalls of airport delays. It isn't fun. No one wants to start their vacation with a heavy heaping of stress. We live in Washington and use SeaTac a lot. Delays are not uncommon. Our weather is not always predictible, and baggage claim is slow. Road traffic can be a pain at times. Whatever you decide, hope you have a fabulous time on your cruise.

My original plan and reservations called for arrival into Sea-Tac about 9:30am which gave me just a little better cushion, about 45 more minutes more, but Delta did some schedule adjustments recently, which is what has thrown our plans out of whack. They now have a flight that arrives at 9:00am, but it is better than the 10:15am arrival time, which I have now. I haven't called Delta to change any of my flight arrangements, but I would assume that since they did the rearranging in the first place, they would not charge me the normal rebooking fee to come in either on the early flight or even better the day before, same itinerary, and then do some sight seeing the day before our cruise. Any opinions on this?

I'd definitely plan on coming in the day before, if at all possible. There is lots to do in Seattle, or you could just drive into Vancouver earlier and look around there. Just the peace of mind of knowing that you are there in time for the ship is invaluable to me.

We flew in the night before, and drove to Bellingham to stay overnight, as Budget Queen suggested. Then it was only about 1 1/2 hours to Vancouver, which made for a fairly leisurely morning drive, as we had plenty of time even if the border crossing was busy, which it wasn't. There is a pretty park area around the Peace Arch border crossing -- we didn't get out and look around, and now wish we would have done. We got to Vancouver about 11:30, return the car, and were able to board the ship as soon as we got to the pier.

We cleared the boarding process for the ship quickly, but then had to wait about 1/2 an hour to go through Canadian customs. As soon as we got on the ship, we ate lunch and went exploring.

Our free time came more at the end of our trip, as we arrived back in Vancouver on Sunday, and our flight didn't leave until really early Monday morning. We went to the Space Needle upon our return to Seattle (about 4:00 pm) and did just a little more sight-seeing. Worked fine for us.

Archived