yep, another question about the $15 'corkage' charge

newfarmers

Princess is great when it comes to bringing wine on board. We brought 4 bottles on last time with no problems. We paid the corkage fees for 2 of the bottles and drank the other 2 on our room. You do have to bring your own cork though. Celebration is not bad but their corkage fee is $25 but you can drink it in your room at no charge. NCL is the only one that charges you no matter what. Then they have the audacity to charge you 5x what they charge for the same bottle of wine in the store. A bottle of stags leap merlot 2006 on the epic costs $120. In total wine it costs $30.

If you're going to do any sort of honest pricing comparison, you have to compare apples to apples...

While the bottle might cost $120 on Epic and $30 at Total Wine, you neglect to include the overhead costs that a business MUST consider when pricing any and all items.

It cost $1.2 BILLION to build the Epic. How much do you think it cost to build the local wine store?

Once you have that all figured out...you have to consider day-to-day operating expenses. How much more in personnel costs is it to run the Epic vs your local wine store?

Besides....you don't HAVE to buy the wine from NCL....you CHOOSE to.

If you're going to do any sort of honest pricing comparison, you have to compare apples to apples...

While the bottle might cost $120 on Epic and $30 at Total Wine, you neglect to include the overhead costs that a business MUST consider when pricing any and all items.

It cost $1.2 BILLION to build the Epic. How much do you think it cost to build the local wine store?

Once you have that all figured out...you have to consider day-to-day operating expenses. How much more in personnel costs is it to run the Epic vs your local wine store?

Besides....you don't HAVE to buy the wine from NCL....you CHOOSE to.

Total wine is a huge chain that sells all types of liquor. What overhead does NCL have that total wine does not have. So the waiter has to remove the cork. Big deal. Isn't that part of their service fee. If they charged $60 for that bottle then it would be ok but to have those kind of markups is downright ridiculous.

My thought was if I buy a $15.00 bottle and pay a $15.00 fee I might as well just buy the wine on board for $30.00. It turned out that we asked if they could make us a pitcher of Sangria in the dinning room. They made it and It was very good for $29.00. We ordered it three nights. Other nights I bought a glass of wine at dinner and the wife and my 19 and 20 yo had soda. We also had a Gin and Merlot bar set up in the cabin. Like others have said when you spend Thousand's whats another couple hundread bucks. We spent a lot more then that in the end and had a great time.

Rules are what they are, but I personally believe that if you prefer to have "wine time" in the cabin, that no bar revenue is being compromised, and no effort to serve you has been expended by the bar staff. So the $15 corkage is not appropriate in that case. NCL tries to say it is.

Another reason to smuggle!

NCL's booze policy leaves a lot to be desired. I have to find one heck of a deal to use NCL. Thier booze policy turns me off.

So you don't sail on RCCL either? Their policy is worse than NCL's -- no alcohol at all may be brought on board.

You're right it's not worth the hassle of carrying your own wine aboard and paying the corkage fee. just got back from Pearl, sent myself 5 bottles as a Bon Voyage gift. they were in the cabin when I got there with a large ice/wine bucket and corkscrew. the steward kept the ice full every day. Costs more than carrying aboard but when you're shelling out thousands of dollars for the cruise and air, what's a $100 or so for convenience?

I agree that this would be easier if having to fly in. I especially agree with "what's a $100 or so for convenience".

We're not wealthy, but when we vacation, we definately splurge. For us, that is what vacation is about...a vacation from our normal routine lives. No cooking, no cleaning, no shopping, no laundry, no cares...and to live like that, it does cost a little. And we are worth it...and so are you, do what is easiest for you and do everything possible to maximize your relaxation until you return to reality.

I think it important to remember that a cruise ship is a floating hotel. A very expensive floating hotel. If you equate the $1.2 billion Epic to the $1 billion Bellagio, I think you'd find that the prices are very reasonable on NCL. A bottle of wine at any hotel is marked up similarly (if not more). Yes, you could also bring a bottle of wine to your room at the Bellagio without a fee, but considering that you can cruise for a week (with food included) for the cost of 3 nights (room only) at the Bellagio...or Caesars...or Venetian. Couple weeks ago, had dinner at Sea Harbor (Caesars), it was $300 for 4...hated the food. Next day, Yellow Tail (Bellagio), $250 for 3...last weekend, burgers at Burger Brasserie (Paris), $50 for 2. I think it important to keep things in perspective; cruising is a phenomenal value.

Sidebar: The term nickel and diming is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Life is nickel and diming...you pay as you go for everything that you want. My theory is if you don't want to pay for it, don't use it. [he says as he opens his electric bill...maybe setting the thermostat at 73 when it is 105 outside isn't the smartest thing to do. YIKES (I could have gone on a cruise for the price of my electric bill :) )...nope, I'll keep it at 73 and let the electric company nickel and dime me for how comfortable I choose to be.]

Do what makes you happy and what will make your trip the most enjoyable, memorable vacation. I have memories of every vacation that I will have with me for life...and when I look back on my life, I want to have those memories...I doubt that my electric bill will ever cross my mind. ;)

Rules are what they are, but I personally believe that if you prefer to have "wine time" in the cabin, that no bar revenue is being compromised, and no effort to serve you has been expended by the bar staff. So the $15 corkage is not appropriate in that case. NCL tries to say it is.

Another reason to smuggle!

Well put. Typically if I am "buzzed" I will not mind ordering watered down jack and coke for $8.00 but there is no way in hell I will order that if I am completely sober. Last RCCI cruise I was on charged me $10.25 for a grey goose and tonic. Thankfully I just got my Rum Runners so I guess I will be smuggling Grey goose and Jack.

I agree that this would be easier if having to fly in. I especially agree with "what's a $100 or so for convenience".

We're not wealthy, but when we vacation, we definately splurge. For us, that is what vacation is about...a vacation from our normal routine lives. No cooking, no cleaning, no shopping, no laundry, no cares...and to live like that, it does cost a little. And we are worth it...and so are you, do what is easiest for you and do everything possible to maximize your relaxation until you return to reality.

I think it important to remember that a cruise ship is a floating hotel. A very expensive floating hotel. If you equate the $1.2 billion Epic to the $1 billion Bellagio, I think you'd find that the prices are very reasonable on NCL. A bottle of wine at any hotel is marked up similarly (if not more). Yes, you could also bring a bottle of wine to your room at the Bellagio without a fee, but considering that you can cruise for a week (with food included) for the cost of 3 nights (room only) at the Bellagio...or Caesars...or Venetian. Couple weeks ago, had dinner at Sea Harbor (Caesars), it was $300 for 4...hated the food. Next day, Yellow Tail (Bellagio), $250 for 3...last weekend, burgers at Burger Brasserie (Paris), $50 for 2. I think it important to keep things in perspective; cruising is a phenomenal value.

Sidebar: The term nickel and diming is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Life is nickel and diming...you pay as you go for everything that you want. My theory is if you don't want to pay for it, don't use it. [he says as he opens his electric bill...maybe setting the thermostat at 73 when it is 105 outside isn't the smartest thing to do. YIKES (I could have gone on a cruise for the price of my electric bill :) )...nope, I'll keep it at 73 and let the electric company nickel and dime me for how comfortable I choose to be.]

Very true, you do get a decent value through a cruise but in Vegas, you are not forced to eat at the hotel. There are tons of great restaurants in the area where it does not cost $300 for 4 to eat. I just figure if the cruise lines ease up on what they charge for liquor, then there would be much less sneaking of alcohol on board.

My thought was if I buy a $15.00 bottle and pay a $15.00 fee I might as well just buy the wine on board for $30.00. It turned out that we asked if they could make us a pitcher of Sangria in the dinning room. They made it and It was very good for $29.00. We ordered it three nights. Other nights I bought a glass of wine at dinner and the wife and my 19 and 20 yo had soda. We also had a Gin and Merlot bar set up in the cabin. Like others have said when you spend Thousand's whats another couple hundread bucks. We spent a lot more then that in the end and had a great time.

My thought is, that $15 wine you buy and bring is probably going to be much better than the $30 dollar wine they have. One of the cheapest wines NCL has is Beringer White Zinfandel for about $28, I can get that on sale at home 3 for $10. While it is a huge hassle to bring my own wine, the mark up they charge is not a fair price in my opinion. I would rather bring a few bottles of better wine and pay the corkage than to buy what they have.

Toni

My thought is, that $15 wine you buy and bring is probably going to be much better than the $30 dollar wine they have. One of the cheapest wines NCL has is Beringer White Zinfandel for about $28, I can get that on sale at home 3 for $10. While it is a huge hassle to bring my own wine, the mark up they charge is not a fair price in my opinion. I would rather bring a few bottles of better wine and pay the corkage than to buy what they have.

Toni

Good point on the mark up. This was our first cruise on NCL. After reading how they check for broken seals on water and soda bottles we had bought a one liter bottle of gin for $63.00. I could have bought that bottle for around $20.00 in a store. We brought two bottles of water and two one liter tonics in our carry on. They didn't even open the bags to look at the bottles. Oh well.

Could you tell me if boxes of wine are allowed and if so what would the corkage price be as they hold 4 bottles? would I get away with packing a box in my case (WOULD ONLY BOTTLES SHOW UP IN A SUIT CASE), this of course would only be for my room. Also we are staying overnight at Times Square area of NYC could you tell me where I could buy a nice wine that isn't really overpriced please t take in to dinner each evening?

Thanks

Could you tell me if boxes of wine are allowed and if so what would the corkage price be as they hold 4 bottles? would I get away with packing a box in my case (WOULD ONLY BOTTLES SHOW UP IN A SUIT CASE), this of course would only be for my room.

Thanks

This might help you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1166883&highlight=corkage+fee+for+box+wine

We have brought wine, anywere from 6 - 8 bottles several times and paid the $15 corkage fee. If you bring your receipt and unopened bottles before, I believe it was the night before disembarkation day, before they close your account out, you contact the wine steward and they will credit you the $15 for unopened bottles! Definitely worth bringing your own, especially if there's a particular wine you like that they don't carry and of course, you will save money despite the corkage fee.;)

Ok so last week I looked at the wine list and thought the prices were very reasonable and was really glad of it. But I only like certain wine so I went out and bought a few bottles from the list which by the way cost aprox $5-$15 less in the store than on the ship so not a huge markup IMHO. So the problem is I was not impressed by the taste of the wine so I went to one of the local wineries I like and was buying wine for the cruise when my hubby noted the Reisling I drink comes in larger bottles. I bought one for the cruise and now I am reading posts that say the dining room doesn't take the larger bottles :( I am so bummed since I thought awsome I only have to carry one bottle with me and it will last all week.

Has anyone ever brought a larger bottle to the dining room successfully?

So in looking at the wine list these prices really are not that bad. We were going to buy about 7 bottles and bring with us and pay the corkage fee. If these are the correct prices then we would only be saving around $5 a bottle. To me that is not worth the headache of buying them the day before and then lugging them onto the ship. My question is are these bottles only available to buy when you are eating dinner or can you order anytime?

So in looking at the wine list these prices really are not that bad. We were going to buy about 7 bottles and bring with us and pay the corkage fee. If these are the correct prices then we would only be saving around $5 a bottle. To me that is not worth the headache of buying them the day before and then lugging them onto the ship. My question is are these bottles only available to buy when you are eating dinner or can you order anytime?

From everything I have read you can order them anytime and have them in your room etc. Someone even wrote on one of these boards you can have a glass anywhere they will go get the wine for you.

I 100% agree the prices are really not bad at all like I said but I didn't like any of the ones I tried ( can you hear my whine about the wine LOL) I have another bottle to try though and if I like it I will not be carrying any on with me either.

• 4 weeks later...

Do what makes you happy and what will make your trip the most enjoyable, memorable vacation. I have memories of every vacation that I will have with me for life...and when I look back on my life, I want to have those memories...I doubt that my electric bill will ever cross my mind. ;)

Rick, good post. I agree with you about choice. It reminds my of why I don't buy drinks and popcorn at the movies any more. Once the price of popcorn and a coke exceeded the price of the movie, I just don't buy. Still, if I am on a cruise, if I have to pay $30 for a bottle of wine, I may not do it every night, but I probably will some nights, and enjoy the meal.

We are planning on bringing 2 bottles of wine for our cruise leaving Sat. This is the first time we will be bringing wine on board.

Last November we bought the St. Francis Cabernet Sauvignon onboard our cruise. The price was $49 plus the gratuity. We both thought it was a decent wine.

We got home and saw that our local Costco carries it for $14 a bottle. So, with the corkage fee we will be paying $29. Saving us over $20 per bottle. No, it isn't a lot in the grand scheme of the vacation. But, I like to save money where I can. I think it's little effort plus I can use the savings to justify an extra dinner in a specialty restaurant.;) NCL will get that money one way or another.

If it turns out to be a real hassle, then we'll know to skip it the next time.

Hi! We've been on three cruises in the last five years and we brought wine on board each time (a few bottles) with no fees! We were on NCL (Alaska), Carnival (Nova Scotia) and Disney last year (Western Caribbean).

Did the policy recently change? How can they charge you to drink in your cabin???? I totally understand a charge in public.....but not in the privacy of your room!!!

Archived