Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

We're seriously considering the Premuim Package - but one thing is holding us back.

On our last X cruise, we had a terrible time getting wine in the MDR - and we were ordering by the bottle! The Sommelier was way to busy to take care of the number of tables he had - so often our wines would appear half way through dinner or we'd be in need of an additional bottle for the table and couldn't get any service.

If we get a drink package, we'll be ordering by the glass - which we suspect would make it even harder to get service.

Just wondering how those who've had the drink packages - and who drink more than 1 glass of wine with dinner - found the service to be?

We're seriously considering the Premuim Package - but one thing is holding us back.

On our last X cruise, we had a terrible time getting wine in the MDR -

Just wondering how those who've had the drink packages - and who drink more than 1 glass of wine with dinner - found the service to be?

how bout giving the Sommelier a nice tip the first night to motivate ????

On our last X cruise, we had a terrible time getting wine in the MDR - and we were ordering by the bottle! The Sommelier was way to busy to take care of the number of tables he had - so often our wines would appear half way through dinner or we'd be in need of an additional bottle for the table and couldn't get any service.

If we get a drink package, we'll be ordering by the glass - which we suspect would make it even harder to get service.

We just got back on Oct 3 from a week on the Solstice. We each had the premium package and had no problem with getting all the wine we wanted in the MDR. Saw many others having great service too.

Wow - quite a beer list, I'm a big micro-brew fan, so I've cut out all the "extras" down to the one's I'm curious about. From my reading these would only be included in the Premium Package, correct? My real question is, are all of the beers listed available on all the ships, more to the point, are the one's I've listed below available on the Equinox (we'll be on the 1/7/2011 cruise)?

Hello, folks.

===> Beer/Ale/Stout/Cider:

Dogfish Head Brown Ale 6.5

Dogfish Head 90 Min. Imperial 6.5

Flying Dog Wheat Ale 6.5

Flying Dog Pale Ale 6.5

Magic Hat #9 Ale 6.5

Magic Hat Lucky Kat Ale 6.5

Brooklyn Brown Ale 6.5

Brooklyn Lager 6.5

-------------------------------------

Sorry, I'm late to the party here...

One comment and a question...

If I buy my package now, I know I can cancel before the cruise. What if the drink package were to increase between now & our January cruise, am I locked into the price?

Comment - these packages are a great idea, as well as adding Micro-beers to the list :) In the past I have had to smuggle beer onboard simply because the selection was so pitiful. This saves me a lot of time and effort. Which leads me to a story...

A few years back we met up with some old cruisefriends to take a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Francisco. Well, the Safeway near the port had a huge selection of local brews, all in bottles of course. Needless to say I bought a considerable number of them and some baggies - took them back to the hotel and double bagged each bottle, wrapped them in t-shirts and packed them carefully in my suitcase. Life was great, at least under I got my suitcase in my cabin. When I opened it I could smell the wonderful aroma of hops, which initially made me smile (I love the smell of hops). Then I realized in horror what had happened. Luckily I only lost two bottles, the broken bottles tore a hole in the baggies. So there I was, doing laundry on the 1st day of the cruise. I refer to this as the Mexican Riviera Laundry Fiasco. Learned my lesson, now I only buy canned beer (Oskar Blues makes wonderful ales in a can). In short - I won't miss having to do this again...

This is great info and I decided to get the drink package. I noticed that it doesn't allow you to drink in the cabin. I was thinking it would be nice to have a glass of wine in the evening on the balcony - is this not allowed?

Thanks so much for any help or advice.

Maggie

If I buy my package now, I know I can cancel before the cruise. What if the drink package were to increase between now & our January cruise, am I locked into the price?

You pay in full when you order the package, so you are locked into the price. If the price goes down, you can just cancel and rebook at the new price.

This is great info and I decided to get the drink package. I noticed that it doesn't allow you to drink in the cabin. I was thinking it would be nice to have a glass of wine in the evening on the balcony - is this not allowed?

You are allowed to order a drink from any bar and drink it in your cabin. You just can not order room service with your package.

Thanks so much for any help or advice.

Maggie

You can also bring 2 bottles of wine on board per cabin if there is a certain wine that you want and is not on the wine list.

I love to start the day out with Bailey's in my coffee, at least when I cruise. Which package covers this? Would there be any issues in getting a double Baileys in my coffee? Where would I have to go to get one? I'll be on Penthouse Deck, so the closer the better..

Thanks again

FYI - I am indeed a lush when I cruise, especially on sea days :rolleyes:

Hi,

We were on Connie earlier this month and had the premium alcoholic package. Every evening and most afternoons too, we went to Cafe al Bacio and I had a latte with a Baileys on the side which I then had a sip of (mmmm nectar!) and poured the rest into my coffee. My husband did a similar thing with Amaretto and we didn't have any problems.

Enjoy!

Heather

Hi,

We were on Connie earlier this month and had the premium alcoholic package. Every evening and most afternoons too, we went to Cafe al Bacio and I had a latte with a Baileys on the side which I then had a sip of (mmmm nectar!) and poured the rest into my coffee. My husband did a similar thing with Amaretto and we didn't have any problems.

Enjoy!

Heather

Ahh, now that's what I'm talking about. I can't wait....

Wow - quite a beer list, I'm a big micro-brew fan, so I've cut out all the "extras" down to the one's I'm curious about. From my reading these would only be included in the Premium Package, correct? My real question is, are all of the beers listed available on all the ships, more to the point, are the one's I've listed below available on the Equinox (we'll be on the 1/7/2011 cruise)?

At the risk of making an incredibly bad pun - when it comes to beer, we are in the same boat. My wife and I were just on the Solstice 10/10/10 and I can tell you there were no microbrews to be found. I think the 'best' american beer that I saw on the ship was Sam Adams Boston Lager. Ironically, I got the premium beverage package specifically because the list included many of the beers like Brooklyn, Flying Dog and Magic Hat, that I normally drink at home.

FWIW - I believe all of these were available on the Solstice:

Coors Light 4.5

Beck's 5.0

Heineken 5.0

Heineken Light 5.0

Samuel Adams 5.0

Dos Equis 5.0

Grolsch 6.0

Red Stripe 5.0

Murphy's Stout 6.0

Guinness Stout 6.0

Newcastle Brown Ale 6.0

Boddington's Ale 6.0

Stella Artois 6.0

Miller Lite 4.5

Budweiser 4.5

Bud Light 4.5

Michelob Light 4.5

Amstel Light 5.0

Corona 5.0

Corona Light 5.0

Bohemia 6.0

At the risk of making an incredibly bad pun - when it comes to beer, we are in the same boat. My wife and I were just on the Solstice 10/10/10 and I can tell you there were no microbrews to be found. I think the 'best' american beer that I saw on the ship was Sam Adams Boston Lager. Ironically, I got the premium beverage package specifically because the list included many of the beers like Brooklyn, Flying Dog and Magic Hat, that I normally drink at home.

TravellinSouth, Ouch - nice pun :)

I was afraid of that. I think the beer list is the list of every beer fleetwide - it makes me wonder which ships actually carry those tasty ales...

I may need to put a couple of 6-paks (cans) of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale, or Gubna (their Imperial IPA, 10% abv - yee-ha!) in my boarding bag just to get me through the 10 days. (10 days without an IPA, yikes). Although it seems silly to smuggle those on-board while getting a drink package.

My other driver for drink package selection is the requirement for Bailey's in my coffee. I understand that the Premium package allows for 'alcoholic coffees', but, I see that Baileys is listed under the less expensive (is it called "Classic") package. Reason would indicate that a coffee with Baileys is available under both (who said the world is reasonable)?