Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

This has been a great, extremely informative thread. Thank you all for your valuable info, particularly jg51, for all of your hard work that you have put into this for us and for staying on top of it for as long as you have.

One thing that I haven't been able to determine, and maybe it's my own denseness, is: If I purchase a classic alcohol package, does it also cover things like smoothies and all of the things in the Premium NON-Alcohol package?

I know my wife will only benefit from the Premium NON-Alcohol package, for cappaccinos, non-alcoholic smoothies, etc.. but I would probably enjoy a couple of Mojitos or Rum and Cokes or Mai Tais by the pool or in the afternoon or before/with dinner. Plus the Cappaccino with her in the AM and/or PM on our veranda.

Edited by g8rfan94

This has been a great, extremely informative thread. Thank you all for your valuable info, particularly jg51, for all of your hard work that you have put into this for us and for staying on top of it for as long as you have. One thing that I haven't been able to determine, and maybe it's my own denseness, is: If I purchase a classic alcohol package, does it also cover things like smoothies and all of the things in the Premium NON-Alcohol package?

Hello, "g8rfan94."

Thanks for the very kind things that you said about the thread and the work that I've been trying to do. Your mention of my sticking with the thread for so many weeks gives me an opening to mention that I'm soon going to be an "absentee landlord" here. My own (very long) cruise is just around the corner, so I won't be able to look in and answer questions until some time in November. The "up side" of that, however, is that I will have very "hands on" experience on which to base future replies.

Now, as to the question you have asked, I'm afraid that there seems to be a bit of bad news for you. Here is what the "X" site says about the "Classic [alcoholic] Package" (with my emphasis added):

"Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic Package as well as all Beers up to $5 per serving and spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving."

As you can see, the Classic (alcoholic) Package does not include everything that is in the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. I assume that whatever is in the latter that is not in the Classic Non-Alchoholic Package -- such as smoothies -- is also missing from the Classic (alcoholic) Package. You may want to consider upgrading to the Premium (alcoholic) Package -- which would cost you $80.50 per week more, including 15% service charge.

Have a great time! :)

Edited by jg51

As I looked into the various packages information, there seemed to be only one chardonnay selection in the classic package and if ordering a more expensive wine than the $8.00 maximum per the classic package, one would have to pay the full amount of the drink! Also as I understand it (jg correct me if I am wrong) drinks that are covered in the public areas with the packages are not covered in the room. So a Cappaccino, a smoothie, or any other drink included in a package would have to be paid for at the going rate.

We have had the classic package and it does not cover room service drinks. We just went to a bar, and returned to our cabin with drink in hand. It was no big deal, and the little walk helped to work off all those passion fruit daiquaries. Depending on what your definition of a smoothie is, fruit juice, ice and milk, the classic pkg should cover it. If the coffee is $8.00 or under, it is also included.

We have had the classic package ... . Depending on what your definition of a smoothie is, fruit juice, ice and milk, the classic pkg should cover it. If the coffee is $8.00 or under, it is also included.

Hi, "Ocean Dancer."

I don't want either for myself or for you accidentally to mislead "g8torfan94," who asked whether smoothies are included in the Classic [alcoholic] Package. I myself have nothing to go by except the description of the Classic Package that I quoted from the "X" internet site -- and that description seems to imply that smoothies are not included. [it may be, however, that the description is incomplete or misleading.] You stated that you "had the classic package" (alcoholic, I assume), and you said that "the classic pkg should cover" a smoothie. Do you mean that literally -- that you think that smoothies are included, or do you mean that you know that they are included because you drank at least one? Thanks, in advance, for the clarification.

As I looked into the various packages information, there seemed to be only one chardonnay selection in the classic package and if ordering a more expensive wine than the $8.00 maximum per the classic package, one would have to pay the full amount of the drink! Also as I understand it (jg correct me if I am wrong) drinks that are covered in the public areas with the packages are not covered in the room. ...

Hello, "GeneD."

I agree with "Ocean Dancer" about packages not covering room-service beverages.

I also agree with you that there is only one Chardonnay (St. Francis) that is $8 or under per glass. It is on the MDR wine list. There are, however, about fifteen other white wines priced at $5.50 to $8.00.

There is a lot of very conflicting info out there, which is really no one's fault but Celebrity's for not making it as clear as possible.

The bottom line for me is, if the cappaccinos and smoothies are included in the classic alcoholic package, than it's probably worth it for me. If not, than the premium NON-alcoholic package may be a better bet since I may have only a couple of drinks a day, and pay the extra for them.

The biggest problem is that I don't drink enough to make this an easy decision. I feel like I'm right on the line whichever direction I go.

jg, have a great cruise...

Edited by g8rfan94

There is a lot of very conflicting info out there, which is really no one's fault but Celebrity's for not making it as clear as possible. ... jg, have a great cruise...

Thanks for your good wishes, "g8rfan94." Before I go ... I just thought of another option for you. If you can make a toll-free call in the U.S., "X" has a special number to call to speak to a beverage expert. (It must be given in an earlier post in this thread.) Someone there should be able to clarify things, to your satisfaction. It may save you some money. Good luck!

When I called I was told cappacchino would be included on classic but I do not know about the smoothies

Thanks. I'll call in the next day or two and see what they say and go from there.

Edited by g8rfan94

Having seen the selection of drinks, I notice that the majority are covered by the Classic package. Only the more expensive wine, imported beer and special cocktails fall into the Premium package.

My question is it worth paying the extra for the Premium.

Is the experience of using the select bars which serve the Cocktails worth the extra alone.

Hi there

I think if you read back on this post you will get the views of what diferent cruisers thought about the two packages. I know I posted to say we got the premium and found it to be very worthwhile. I was able to get champagne if I wanted it, martinis in the evening before the show etc without any worry about if it would be covered. Have a read through all the posts and that might help you to decide which on is best for you. Best wishes and hope you enjoy your cruise.

Just got back from the Solstice and my first drink package - premium alcohol. For me the best part of the whole deal was the convenience of not signing little slips of paper. Well worth it! We had lots of port days, so I felt the need to make up for lost time and make the package worthwhile! :D To be honest, next time, I'd probably do the classic package and just buy the odd Molecular drink here and there. My DH did the classic non-alcohol and got all the lattes, hot tea, and sodas he could drink. We'll definitely do the package again for the convenience alone.

Enjoy!

If you were to purchase a Premium Package on Thursday afternoon (after four full days had gone by), it would cost $225.40, as you said. If you were to purchase it for the whole cruise, it would be double that -- $250.80 (rather than the $245.80 that you mentioned).

Ok, trying to do the math here, if you double ($225.40) the package for the entire week, wouldn't that come out to be $501.60 not $250.80?

I figured on a 8 day cruise at $56.35 the price would be $450.80

BTW, I bought the premium alcohol package on embarkation day on a 7 day cruise and it was $395. The charge was run that night and there was no Florida sales tax applied.

Hope that helps.

Just checking to see if there is any sales tax on the package if purchased on ship, if you are still in port, subject to the tax policy of a particular state. We are going out of Cape Liberty, NJ, and was wondering if there is any NJ state sales tax if purchased in port.

Thanks, Rick

We've just returned from Constellation in the Med where we purchased the Classic drinks package. To be honest we got everything we wanted with that including 'premium' water (Evian) speciality coffees, and many more items that were stated as only been available with a Premium package. The waiters seemed to be under the impression that as long as a drink was under $8 dollars you could have it, irrespective whether it was classed as Classic or Premium. Also my hubby was given premium brandies on a few occasions.

The package worked out fine for us and the savings were definitely on our side. It's amazing how a couple of coffees, bottles of water, pre-dinner drinks, cocktails, wine and liqueurs all add up, we will certainly do it again.

Plus, I ordered a couple of cocktails to try and when I found I didn't like them didn't feel bad at leaving them as I could re-order one I knew I would like instead.

We've just returned from Constellation in the Med where we purchased the Classic drinks package. To be honest we got everything we wanted with that including 'premium' water (Evian) speciality coffees, and many more items that were stated as only been available with a Premium package. The waiters seemed to be under the impression that as long as a drink was under $8 dollars you could have it, irrespective whether it was classed as Classic or Premium. Also my hubby was given premium brandies on a few occasions.

The package worked out fine for us and the savings were definitely on our side. It's amazing how a couple of coffees, bottles of water, pre-dinner drinks, cocktails, wine and liqueurs all add up, we will certainly do it again.

Plus, I ordered a couple of cocktails to try and when I found I didn't like them didn't feel bad at leaving them as I could re-order one I knew I would like instead.

We're cruising in May on the Millie. I've been thinking about these packages. Do you think you were just lucky with your waiters or should I chance it?

First of all, a huge "THANK YOU" for posting the drinks with prices.

Then I read everyone's comments. By the end, I thought the Classic Package was a good deal.

Then I went on Celebrity's website to look at the packages and didn't see alot of wine options, bottled water or cappuccino???

I'm confused. Can you help me decide what would work for us?

There are three of us:

DH: likes Jack Daniels, B&B, good reds and whites, beer - not picky

Me: B&B, Drambuie, champagne, good reds and whites and cappuccino

Daughter: Bottled water, occassional soda

Just returned from the Celebrity Equinox 14 day Holy Land Cruise. My cabin mate and I both got the classic non-alcohol package. Worked great. She could have all the latte coffees, she could drink and we definitely drank our package worth of water, teas, sodas, juices, etc...

You could not get more than one beverage at a time and sometimes they would say we could only have the large waters not the the small waters(?), which was fine because, we just refilled our small bottles with the big ones for shore excurisons. One waiter told us in the Oceanview cafe that we could only order one drink an hour and we told him that was BS. We had no other problems and no issues getting service.

Hi Poolboy Clay

The post you made in early September has a link to an updated spreadsheet for calculating whether it makes sense to buy the Celebrity drink packages.

When I opened that link, it looks like someone has overwritten the formulae. Can you resend the link - this spreadsheet will be so beneficial!!

Thanks so much!!!

Hi Poolboy Clay

The post you made in early September has a link to an updated spreadsheet for calculating whether it makes sense to buy the Celebrity drink packages.

When I opened that link, it looks like someone has overwritten the formulae. Can you resend the link - this spreadsheet will be so beneficial!!

Thanks so much!!!

I could use that spreadsheet too. Thanks!

JUst of the Eclipse we had the Classic Alcohol Package here are our thoughts

We took the Classic Drinks package so basically beers too $5 and all other drinks to $8, this was approx $39+15% a day. We pre-booked before joining the ship and were apprehensive about had we done the correct thing, but for us it worked really well.

We had freshly squeezed orange juice or freshly made smoothie’s ($2.5 to $4) each morning in the Oceanview Café, fresh Espresso based coffee ($3 to $5) in any of the restaurants or bars rather than the “machine” coffee, all the teas or coffees in Café al Baccio ($3 to $6). Cans of soft drink were $2.50 and bottled water was $2 to $4 depending on size. It is fair to say that we used at least half the cost in non-alcoholic drinks daily.

It was good to experiment with the different cocktails and spirits these were generally cost $6 to $8. The wine was very easy basically the selection at $8 a glass in blu met our needs and the glasses were kept topped up. When we mentioned to the Sommelier that we had tried wine in cellar masters that we enjoyed it appeared the next time we dined even though it was not on the Blu wine list but was in the $8 a glass price range.

The more expensive package included the martini and molecular bars where the drinks were $10 to $12, but you could basically get all other drinks at those venues so could still sit at them. In addition although it included more beer selection too $8 there were not many spirits between $8 and $12 – only a handful. The other spirits were over $12 therefore not in either package so it is worth planning ahead as too what you like. There is a slightly wider wine choice too but our choice in Blu worked for us.

Remember all the above do not include the 15% gratuity.