Tried a Five Guys - Perish the Thought of Wanting Them on a Carnival Ship

MrPete

Ok, perhaps the Five Guys locations around here have a limited menu, because they ONLY had hot dogs, burgers, and fries. I even asked about a veggie burger, and they said no.

So maybe the American locations have a limited menu, and thus, I can understand why you'd be a fan of Five Guys in your area, and why I'm not a fan in my area.

Congratulations on your lifestyle change, and I wish you the best on your continued efforts.

PS- If the Five Guys around here ever get a veggie burger, I'll give it a chance and go back. Although, just because it's a veggie burger, doesn't make it healthy. I had a veggie burger (well half of one) at Ruby Tuesday's, only to come home and look on their website for nutritional info. It had something like 1,000 calories. Yikes!*

*This was over two years ago and their caloric info could have easily changed if they changed their product.

My 17 yr old and I went to Five Guys today for lunch, first time for both of us. I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. We both had a little cheeseburger and only got one small order of fries. I absolutely HATED the fries... but to be fair, I'm not a really big "fry person" to begin with. The bun was the best part of the burger IMO.

Brought home paper menu for DH to check out and there is a veggie or grilled cheese option here as well. Also a kosher style hot dog option. (MN)

Probably wont go back as we just weren't impressed. That being said, I vote "NO" to yet another up-charge food option on the ship. There is plenty there that's included in the fare already.

Brought home paper menu for DH to check out and there is a veggie or grilled cheese option here as well. Also a kosher style hot dog option. (MN)

I am almost curious enough to drive to Five Guys and take a look at the menu on the wall. Because I don't recall seeing either.

However, looking at the nutritional info of the veggie burger and the grilled cheese provided by a previous poster, I wouldn't touch either. I get scared of a single burger/sandwich that has over 1,000mg of sodium.

But that's just me. Thanks for the info though!

Wish I had something to add to this conversation. We do not have In and Out, a 5 Guys within a reasonable drive, and Sonic came in with a few stores only a couple of years ago. I think the only Johnny Rockets around is at the Mall of America (and I refuse to pay that much money for the privledge of eating there).

FWIW: I agree with the other posters who do not feel fast food has any place on a cruise ship. The burgers, chicken fingers, chicken breasts, fries, onion rings, etc. that they already offer are fantastic.

We've had only good experiences at 5 guys in Jax, FL.

Tried almost every location and same at every location.

step up from "Whataburger" 2 steps up from Johnny Rockets

small fries serves 2-3 and are always piping hot/fresh, burgers ALWAYS made to order and usually enough for two when your having fries. (larger size burger)

with regards to paying extra on a ship:

1) wouldnt pay extra for five guys (because they are local and usually visit about 2 time ~ month), not worth extra cost

2) would pay extra for a Fuddruckers 1lb'er with 3 cheese and bacon. mmmmmmmmmm. or to try the bison/elk or whatever specialty one it is they have.

Love 5 Guys. Great fast food (not healthy but yummy). I don't cruise for fast food though. In fact, theme rest. turn me off in general on a cruise. Just my .02 worth...

I think a lot of people like Five Guys because they are pretty much Old School. The buns are steamed, rather than toasted and the fries are made from unpeeled potatoes. The free roasted peanuts are a nice touch, too.

The trend here in Charlotte is towards the Build Your Own Luxury Burgers, where the menu has about anything you could think of and you pick your own type of patty, condiments and bread. Two of the ones doing very well here are The Counter and Big Daddy's. Big Daddy's also features French fries cooked in duck fat. They were indeed yummy. Decadent, but yummy. They also have full bars. There's nothing quite like duck fat fries, a Buffalo burger with bleu cheese, and a double gin martini.:D

I am not impressed with their burger either...

but...

their fries are to kill for...but also over prices.

I am in agreement here!!

And honestly, I love Carnival's cheeseburger. Not sure if they are really all that great, or if it is the Cheeseburger in Paradise mentality, but they work fine for me!

The trend here in Charlotte is towards the Build Your Own Luxury Burgers' date=' where the menu has about anything you could think of and you pick your own type of patty, condiments and bread. Two of the ones doing very well here are The Counter and Big Daddy's. Big Daddy's also features French fries cooked in duck fat. They were indeed yummy. Decadent, but yummy. They also have full bars. [b']There's nothing quite like duck fat fries, a Buffalo burger with bleu cheese, and a double gin martini.:D[/b]

Hey Allen, comming to visit ya!!! Darn that sounds good!!!

I think they are overpriced for the paper thin burger they serve. However, Five Guys must be enjoying the free publicity they have received here over the past two weeks. My guess is that business is up 15% on curiosity alone.

I think they are overpriced for the paper thin burger they serve. However, Five Guys must be enjoying the free publicity they have received here over the past two weeks. My guess is that business is up 15% on curiosity alone.

That's what got me to go. I never heard of them till the first post. I looked them up and found there was one in the next town. Too bad it wasn't where Google maps said they were.

I hardly beleive there would be a detectable bump in business from these two threads, but 87.215% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Ok so some of you have sounded off about the prices and some about the grease..yes we are a bit pricey but really when you look a the quality of the food it is miles better then something you can get at the golden arches by way of hamburgers ( and I used to manager 6 Mcstores).

Our team is in the store at 8 AM rolling meat balls out of real meat nothing like a frozen pressed pattie that you have no idea what the fillers are, and our potatoe guy is cutting potatoes fresh every morning and through out the day. Our other prep team is cutting fresh veggies for your toppings nothing out of the freezer or a package... Our fries are deep fried in peanut oil ( a healthier frying option, unless you are allergic) and our fries are not coated in beef talo unlike some of our competitors.. which is one of most unhealthy things known to man...So the price yes is a bit high but for the quality I'd pay the price even if I didn't work there..

A 5 Guys opened up near me within the last year. I've tried them twice. I can honestly sat that pancakes are thicker than the hamburger patties I received. That said, I don't see too much of a quality product there.

A 5 Guys opened up near me within the last year. I've tried them twice. I can honestly sat that pancakes are thicker than the hamburger patties I received. That said, I don't see too much of a quality product there.

Now there you go!

First off, I didn't expect two burgers. I asked for lots o' fixins (FREE!:rolleyes:)

I got cheese (extra $), tomatoes, lettuce, grilled onions, mushrooms, ketchup, and mustard (after all, I was in the south).

First off, I couldn't get my mouth around it. When I tried, everything came sliding out, gooey. And I was quite surprised at the size of the meat. Didn't have the fries, but did try the free unshelled peanuts.

It was JUST as bad as a Johnny Rockets burger.

I'm QUITE happy with the free stuff they offer at the grill.

Interesting... There is a 5 Guys in one of the trendy shopping areas of Austin and lots of people rave about it.

I'm with you though, the burgers I've had at the grill are just fine for me.

Now there you go!

First off, I didn't expect two burgers. I asked for lots o' fixins (FREE!:rolleyes:)

I got cheese (extra $), tomatoes, lettuce, grilled onions, mushrooms, ketchup, and mustard (after all, I was in the south).

First off, I couldn't get my mouth around it. When I tried, everything came sliding out, gooey. And I was quite surprised at the size of the meat. Didn't have the fries, but did try the free unshelled peanuts.

Guess I need to ask...surprised at how thick or thin?

Now there you go!

First off, I didn't expect two burgers. I asked for lots o' fixins (FREE!)

Guess I need to ask...surprised at how thick or thin?

Sorry, just re-read your first post and answered my own question.

hmmmm patty size, small? Are you talking McDs small? 1/4 Pounder McDs small?

The sammich I usually get has two patties anyway, as for the fries... I can never eat them all as they give you so much.

Five Guys has received numerous awards in Washington area publications, including "Number 1 Burger" by Washingtonian Magazine for seven years. The Pitt News named Five Guys "Best Hamburger" in Pittsburgh in 2007. Since franchising, it has also received awards in other cities, including Annapolis, Maryland; Charlotte, North Carolina; Richmond, Virginia; Charlottesville, Virginia; Johnstown, Pennsylvania; State College, Pennsylvania; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Virginia Beach, Virginia; Jacksonville, Florida;Youngstown, Ohio; and Hampton, Virginia.Maybe you have run into bad franchises... I enjoy (on occasion) the two in our area.

hmmmm patty size, small? Are you talking McDs small? 1/4 Pounder McDs small?

I'm used to the Double Burger that Wendy's serves. I like MEAT (where's the beef still rings true!)

I have tried the 1/3 Angus that McD's serves, and the bun is just wrong.

I have a thing against BK, having worked there for a month when I was 16, but after trying their new XT burgers, IMO, those are the best out there.

Pete, we get that you don't like 5 Guys. Big deal. Move on. The reason you can't find the meat is because you've beaten it so far to death, it's buried itself to get away from your repeated blows.

Pete, we get that you don't like 5 Guys. Big deal. Move on. The reason you can't find the meat is because you've beaten it so far to death, it's buried itself to get away from your repeated blows.

Just a discussion. Don't take it so personal.

And, for the record, I took someone's advice and visited a second one locally in NY, and had the same results. The only difference was, I skipped the mustard.

Just a discussion. Don't take it so personal.

And, for the record, I took someone's advice and visited a second one locally in NY, and had the same results. The only difference was, I skipped the mustard.

Pete this is the first time i have to disagree with you....our Five Guy's is great...love the burgers and the cajun fries! Another newbie with a attitude huh Pete?

Pete this is the first time i have to disagree with you....our Five Guy's is great...love the burgers and the cajun fries! Another newbie with a attitude huh Pete?

Newbie? Hardly. One of these days they will give away who they really are.

Meet you at Ritas for an ice!

I don't disagree with Pete often, but I must here.

Five Guys is awesome, I rank it in the rareified air that one usually assigns to HaloBurger and Whataburger.

Now, for a *real* treat, get theeself to a "Times Grill" and order the cheeseburger with the grilled hot dog on top. :eek:

I *still* don't want one on a ship though.

I don't disagree with Pete often, but I must here.

Five Guys is awesome, I rank it in the rareified air that one usually assigns to HaloBurger and Whataburger.

Now, for a *real* treat, get theeself to a "Times Grill" and order the cheeseburger with the grilled hot dog on top. :eek:

I *still* don't want one on a ship though.

Or before a cruise either...lol

Archived