Tried a Five Guys - Perish the Thought of Wanting Them on a Carnival Ship

MrPete

I don't get what's the big deal about In and Out. I had my first one in California this summer.....over rated!

Did you order it "animal style"?

It's kind of an insider thing, but you get it with thousand island dressing and carmelized onions. That's the best.

Because it isn't their product. Why can't Pizza Hut offer a New York Strip?

Not many (chain) pizza places offer a steak, so I don't really understand your comparison. Almost every national burger chain/fast food restaurant offers additional alternatives to a burger, fry, or hot dog.

Five Guys has every right NOT to offer alternatives, but, they will lose business from a family where one/many members do not care for a big beef burger or a hot dog. That is their choice, and I understand a business model that only wants to offer 3 products. But until they have a non-clogging artery option, this family will stay away.

ETA: I just want to say that I'm happy you found a place that you enjoy! It's not just a picky adult who would refrain from a Five Guys, but if a family had a child who LOVED chicken nuggets, Five Guys would not be a place to eat at either. I just wish they would expand their menu a bit.

It's not "eat as much as you want" at all. It's why do I want to go to a fast food chain on a ship to eat a burger and pay for it when I can grab a burger on the Lido and carry it back to my chair and not pay for it. I'm not opposed to someone else asking for it and if enough want it and Carnival decides to offer it, fine by me. It's just not a change worth rallying for imo. Now... some of the regular balcony cabins designated as nonsmoking that's a change I'd like to see. :D

To be honest with you, I wouldn't pay extra for a burger on a cruise ship either, no matter what chain it was from. The steak house, I probably would pay extra for, once.

interesting article about the same...

The 8 Worst Meals (And 1 Dessert) In America For 2010

http://consumerist.com/2010/05/the-8-worst-meals-and-1-dessert-in-america-for-2010.html

Before you put a single topping on it, the bacon cheeseburger from this rapidly growing chain will set you back 920 calories and 30g of fat. Throw in anywhere from 620 to 1,460 calories for Five Guys' generous portions of fries and you've got yourself a calorie, fat and salt bonanza.

um, no thanks :rolleyes:

Ok so some of you have sounded off about the prices and some about the grease..yes we are a bit pricey but really when you look a the quality of the food it is miles better then something you can get at the golden arches by way of hamburgers ( and I used to manager 6 Mcstores).

Our team is in the store at 8 AM rolling meat balls out of real meat nothing like a frozen pressed pattie that you have no idea what the fillers are, and our potatoe guy is cutting potatoes fresh every morning and through out the day. Our other prep team is cutting fresh veggies for your toppings nothing out of the freezer or a package... Our fries are deep fried in peanut oil ( a healthier frying option, unless you are allergic) and our fries are not coated in beef talo unlike some of our competitors.. which is one of most unhealthy things known to man...So the price yes is a bit high but for the quality I'd pay the price even if I didn't work there..

Unfortunately, it is still nothing special. I would still rather buy a roast at the butcher and have them grind it fresh to grill at home or go to a decent restaurant (not a chain restaurant) to have a real burger.

They have their first one in Orange County Ca. opening Aug 1st.

Will check it out.

Love In-n-out & Tommy's

Have to agree about Tommy's!!! It is definately a LA original!!! They are all good but the original one on Rampart Street in Los Angeles is still the best!!!:D

5 guys is way overpriced imho for the quality and amount you get at almost $8 for a cheeseburger and reg fries. there are local lunch buffets for 5-6$ and dinner for 8-10$ that blow it away. i think i'd rather waste 3-4$ on a bk,or mcd meal using coupons which is not as good tasting and save the money. i drive by the local 5 guys store every day and it is never busy. chik fil a is always busy and i don't get it. chiks food is absolutely the pits to me.

IMO, Five Guys sets the standard for a hamburger joint. Hamburger is prepared exactly the way one wants it with anything imaginable and both hamburger AND french fries are served piping hot! Five Guys would be an AWESOME addition to a cruise!

To be honest with you, I wouldn't pay extra for a burger on a cruise ship either, no matter what chain it was from. The steak house, I probably would pay extra for, once.
That's what we thought -- we'd pay extra for it once (it was our anniversary). Now that we've experienced it, we understand why people are so willing to pay extra and we'll probably go every time we're on a ship that has a steakhouse.

Our sons love 5 Guys, but my husband and I weren't that impressed. It wasn't bad, just not as good as I expected after hearing them rave about it. I just didn't think there was anything special about the burger OR the fries. I definitely wouldn't pay extra for it on a cruise.

We have several 5 Guys here in NC. They are ok, but I rarely go there. I'm a fast food junkie, but the grease from the burgers and fries even makes me feel queasy (sp?) after eating there. I think I read a while back that a large order of their fries is almost 1500 calories:eek:

So while I think they're ok, I would never go to one on a cruise ship and pay when I can get my burger craving satisfied for free on the Lido.....

@ poofythe cat..there is alternative to hotdogs and burgers on the menu.. the veggy burger .. it is real vegetables not some pressed vegetable soy based patty that is unidentifiable..you can even get it with cheese.. oh the cheese.. it is American cheese and it the best stuff this Canuck has ever tasted..There is grilled cheese sandwichs as alternative..I add green peppers to mine my boss add Jalapenos to his.. there is alternatives to just hotdogs and burgers..

As for the Calories falkcor.. yes they can be high but if you eat a little instead of regular the calories are less.. nobody has every gotten fat of veggies..it is the mayo you need to watch..

Just some info I'll pass along.. I have been on a lifestyle change ince Sept of last year and lost 20 + lbs and 8 waist sizes..I eat the food at work everyday and have not gained 1 lb in 2 months not even 1..why cause everything is reasonable amounts..I change things up and eat veggies 2-3 times a week and grilled cheese once a week and a little cheese burger once a week.. with fries all the time...

opinons are like heart beats( not what I was going to put that is not allowed) everyone has one...

We have Johnny Rockets and 5 Guys within two miles of our house. IMO (and everyone I know), 5 Guys is far superior to Johnny Rockets. 5 Guys is packed all the time. Johnny Rockets here just sucks. The one on Explorer was better than any other one I've been to (Nashville, Rodeo Drive, Kingstowne, VA and Ashburn, VA), but 5 Guys is still much better. I have never met anyone who doesn't like 5 Guys. We eat there every couple of months, mainly because it's a lot more food than we need to eat at one sitting. We get a regular fry for the two of us and can only put a small dent in it. LOL. According to my DH and my DS In and Out is more like Burger King than anything else and they weren't impressed.

Archived