Tried a Five Guys - Perish the Thought of Wanting Them on a Carnival Ship

MrPete

you can even get it with cheese.. oh the cheese.. it is American cheese and it the best stuff this Canuck has ever tasted..There is grilled cheese sandwichs as alternative..

American Cheese? That's not even REAL cheese! :eek: It's cheese food!

We like 5 Guys. I don't think it's overpriced at all considering how huge their portions are. We can share a large order of fries between the 4 of us and the single burgers are almost too big for us. We go away stuffed to the gills for around $25. Can't say that for Red Robin, Applebees etc. Try $60 for a family of four for those!

Now, that doesn't mean I want to pay an upcharge on a cruiseship for the food, but I won't pay an upcharge for anything if I can avoid it so to me it doesn't reflect on how I like their food.

American Cheese? That's not even REAL cheese! :eek: It's cheese food!

Don't confuse "American Cheese" (the real stuff made from cow's milk) with Kraft Singles. Those are the "cheese food" (made with who knows what)..

Reading labels will show you that both exist and you need to choose wisely.

We have Johnny Rockets and 5 Guys within two miles of our house. IMO (and everyone I know), 5 Guys is far superior to Johnny Rockets. 5 Guys is packed all the time. Johnny Rockets here just sucks. The one on Explorer was better than any other one I've been to (Nashville, Rodeo Drive, Kingstowne, VA and Ashburn, VA), but 5 Guys is still much better. I have never met anyone who doesn't like 5 Guys. We eat there every couple of months, mainly because it's a lot more food than we need to eat at one sitting. We get a regular fry for the two of us and can only put a small dent in it. LOL. According to my DH and my DS In and Out is more like Burger King than anything else and they weren't impressed.

We must be from the same place -- the Johnny Rockets (by the movie theatre?) is disgusting! I took my son there to try it out when it first opened and haven't been back and have no desire to eat at a Johnny Rockets again. It's not even in the same ball park at Five Guys. And it must be a regional thing, or maybe cuz they started in this area, but I don't find them priced that high at all. I am surprised though that that Five Guys (and Moe's) are still alive and kicking in that restaurant park of doom...

Don't confuse "American Cheese" (the real stuff made from cow's milk) with Kraft Singles. Those are the "cheese food" (made with who knows what)..

Reading labels will show you that both exist and you need to choose wisely.

Look closer.

I only buy cheddar singles, never American Cheese.

well for a true awesome hamburger i would luv to see fuddruckers on carnival, however we just sailed the triumph in april and the quality of the burgers and hotdogs carnival has swirched to in the last year are fantastic so really just serve what they're serving on the triumph..not sure if that choice of burger and dog is fleetwide but going on the conquest 8/22 and will compare.:cool:

Last night DH and I had to do some last minute late night shopping and as we were leaving we drove by our local 5 guys. I purposely counted the number of people in there. Keep in mind it was 9:15pm and we've had nothing but thunder and rain in the area all day since 1pm. Number of people eating: 17.

And I envied every single one.

@ poofythe cat..there is alternative to hotdogs and burgers on the menu.. the veggy burger .. it is real vegetables not some pressed vegetable soy based patty that is unidentifiable..you can even get it with cheese.. oh the cheese.. it is American cheese and it the best stuff this Canuck has ever tasted..There is grilled cheese sandwichs as alternative..I add green peppers to mine my boss add Jalapenos to his.. there is alternatives to just hotdogs and burgers..

As for the Calories falkcor.. yes they can be high but if you eat a little instead of regular the calories are less.. nobody has every gotten fat of veggies..it is the mayo you need to watch..

Just some info I'll pass along.. I have been on a lifestyle change ince Sept of last year and lost 20 + lbs and 8 waist sizes..I eat the food at work everyday and have not gained 1 lb in 2 months not even 1..why cause everything is reasonable amounts..I change things up and eat veggies 2-3 times a week and grilled cheese once a week and a little cheese burger once a week.. with fries all the time...

opinons are like heart beats( not what I was going to put that is not allowed) everyone has one...

Ok, perhaps the Five Guys locations around here have a limited menu, because they ONLY had hot dogs, burgers, and fries. I even asked about a veggie burger, and they said no.

So maybe the American locations have a limited menu, and thus, I can understand why you'd be a fan of Five Guys in your area, and why I'm not a fan in my area.

Congratulations on your lifestyle change, and I wish you the best on your continued efforts.

PS- If the Five Guys around here ever get a veggie burger, I'll give it a chance and go back. Although, just because it's a veggie burger, doesn't make it healthy. I had a veggie burger (well half of one) at Ruby Tuesday's, only to come home and look on their website for nutritional info. It had something like 1,000 calories. Yikes!*

*This was over two years ago and their caloric info could have easily changed if they changed their product.

The better half, while telling him about this thread, summed it up well...

"Their problem is that they can't advertise."

"Can't advertise?" I replied. "Why not?"

"Let's look at the possible slogans:

Nothing satisfies me like Five Guys!

I'm stuffed with Five Guys!

You can't be happier putting Five Guys in your mouth!"

I apologize in advance.

I'm not going to debate the quality of Five Guys vs. In and Out vs. Johnny Rockets vs. any other burger joint. It's a personal thing. But I don't care if a cruise ship has any of them, or any other land-based chain. On a cruise I make it a point as much as possible to eat the things I don't eat at home. It's part of the cruise experience for me.

However, I do have to admit that I did go to the JR on RCCL once because I had a free coupon and, maybe it's the sea air, but it tasted better there than it does on land.

The better half, while telling him about this thread, summed it up well...

"Their problem is that they can't advertise."

"Can't advertise?" I replied. "Why not?"

"Let's look at the possible slogans:

Nothing satisfies me like Five Guys!

I'm stuffed with Five Guys!

You can't be happier putting Five Guys in your mouth!"

I apologize in advance.

actually the real reason they do not advertise is simple" they want to give the dollars that would be spent on ads back to the crew"( red shirts) that work so hard everyday) bonus dollars ..real money for when our mystery shops are 100% we get a share of up 1300 per team Cash not cheque not FG bucks real cash)The grey shirts don't get any of it..:D

Ok, perhaps the Five Guys locations around here have a limited menu, because they ONLY had hot dogs, burgers, and fries. I even asked about a veggie burger, and they said no.

So maybe the American locations have a limited menu, and thus, I can understand why you'd be a fan of Five Guys in your area, and why I'm not a fan in my area.

Congratulations on your lifestyle change, and I wish you the best on your continued efforts.

PS- If the Five Guys around here ever get a veggie burger, I'll give it a chance and go back. Although, just because it's a veggie burger, doesn't make it healthy. I had a veggie burger (well half of one) at Ruby Tuesday's, only to come home and look on their website for nutritional info. It had something like 1,000 calories. Yikes!*

*This was over two years ago and their caloric info could have easily changed if they changed their product.

Maybe this is good reason for you to take a Canada New England cruise in the near future.. 5guys Canada is opening up stores on the east coast in the next couple of years..otherwise just ask for your burger all the way not meat then add the the stuff in red as you see fit..Hey If I can get a BLT with green peepers and cheese surely you can get something you'll enjoy too..cheers

OMG..have never had a meal at Johnney Rockets, In and Out, Five Guys, Sonic...on and on..the feedback sure is interesting here...

Love a plain burger..meat, heated bun, dry with ketchup and onions...will try the Grill on the ship if so inclined...

But nothing beats one at home on the BBQ in my book with good ground sirloin...bet that cuts it all down to 350-400 cal.

I don't get what's the big deal about In and Out. I had my first one in California this summer.....over rated!

Buy do I agree with you on the IN and OUT, that was the nastiest ever and they dare call that a Hamburger. There is a reason it is called in and out.

In Denver we have FAT BURGER now that is what I call a Burger. Great fries and onion rings and the MILK SHAKES are the best.

Look closer.

I only buy cheddar singles, never American Cheese.

Me too when I even need cheese..I have a pack of the folks A. Ch. in the freezer I saved for them from the last winter exit..sad thing..it may be ok for them...I HATE American cheese!!

To all in discussion:

My vote..Johnney Rockets may be fun for RCCL..the gimmick...Carnival doesn't need that headache...keep about the lido/Steakhouse / dining room..keep the standards improving there...sjn

Buy do I agree with you on the IN and OUT, that was the nastiest ever and they dare call that a Hamburger. There is a reason it is called in and out.

In Denver we have FAT BURGER now that is what I call a Burger. Great fries and onion rings and the MILK SHAKES are the best.

Fatburger is an original California burger joint, specifically LA. Been around the LA area for at least 40 years I can think of.

Perhaps the menu has changed since you visited 2 years ago. The following link is to the nutrional info for 5 guys, the Veggie Sandwich is included in the chart.

http://net.fiveguys.com/files/files/NutritionalInfo_Oct2008.pdf

I personally love 5 Guys and also love In & Out. We do not have In & Out in Montana, but make a stop there every time we hit a State that does:D Luckily we do have 5 Guys:)

Mr. Pete...perhaps we just have different taste, or perhaps it was an off day for the store you visited. I do agree that CCL does not need a burger joint or other theme restaurant of any king...If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Perhaps the menu has changed since you visited 2 years ago. The following link is to the nutrional info for 5 guys, the Veggie Sandwich is included in the chart.

http://net.fiveguys.com/files/files/NutritionalInfo_Oct2008.pdf

I personally love 5 Guys and also love In & Out. We do not have In & Out in Montana, but make a stop there every time we hit a State that does:D Luckily we do have 5 Guys:)

Mr. Pete...perhaps we just have different taste, or perhaps it was an off day for the store you visited. I do agree that CCL does not need a burger joint or other theme restaurant of any king...If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Hey Molly..where is the 5 Guys..never heard about it until here and I saw your other post liking it..I do think stores can varey..when I first moved to Oregon..(was there 20 years) couldn't eat the beef..tasted too weird..then got used to their grassfed with short term grain at end...Happy Sunday..sjn.

Is it in Missoula??? going through there this month...not in the Bozone:).

It was JUST as bad as a Johnny Rockets burger.

I'm QUITE happy with the free stuff they offer at the grill.

While I'm actually a big fan of Five Guys, I also agree that the burgers they serve from the ship's grill are more than adequate. It was an absolutely fantastic late afternoon snack every day after getting back from our excursion, and I wouldn't have traded it for a burger from anywhere else.

Hey Molly..where is the 5 Guys..never heard about it until here and I saw your other post liking it..I do think stores can varey..when I first moved to Oregon..(was there 20 years) couldn't eat the beef..tasted too weird..then got used to their grassfed with short term grain at end...Happy Sunday..sjn.

Is it in Missoula??? going through there this month...not in the Bozone:).

Molly I googled it:oesily answered..I see it is in Kalispell..closer to where we go...I have to see what the fuss is about...do not work too hard this week...sjn.

Archived