Embarkation

siouxrose

Simply Impossible. Instead find which of the very good hotels in Isla Verde (only minutes from the airport) will allow them to check their luggage for a few hours, lounge by the pool and begin to relax for the week ahead. Buying lunch and a few drinks of course to thank the hotel....

Dragging thru OSJ after a red-eye would not be fun. If they do want to see OSJ, send them to have lunch in the courtyard of the El Convento.

We have not been allowed on board before 2pm but have, at several locations been able to drop our bags pier side with SeaDream. I believe it depends on the individual facilities at the various docks as to if you can do this. If you want to try to drop bags off early, contact SD in Miami to see if it will be available at your embarkation port.

J.

They could probably leave their bags at the port. My husband and I did when we sailed out of San Juan last spring. Then we went to a nearby Spanish restaurant, ate lunch, and drank cava before we boarded and started getting bombarded with champagne!

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone ever boarded SD before 2pm? My friends have an overnight flight from the west coast and are arriving into San Juan at 10am. Do you think they will be able to board early?

Ive heard you can board as early as 11:00 but your room won't be ready till around 1:00

Ive heard you can board as early as 11:00 but your room won't be ready till around 1:00

While this may be true on some of the larger cruise lines we have never found this to be so on SD.

Sailed SD multiple times - and its never been allowed. Be interested to hear where you've heard that. that's a perk I'd love to have.

FT

Agree 100 percent with FT. Our experience has been that we have boarded exactly at 2 p.m. ... and it takes all of 10 minutes (if that)!

No way. If FT can't board early, ain't nobody boarding early.

I would think if anyone would get on early, it would be Mr. and Mrs. CTBJR . . .

For those who haven't sailed with SD -- as you walk up the gangway -- and I do mean up, the Captain along with the Hotel Manager and usually the Cruise Activities Director are standing there to personally greet you. Also present are waiters with trays of champagne and the spa ladies. You are then ushered into the lounge where appetizers are served (last time we sailed in May a caviar station was included) where you wait until you personally are taken to register (get your picture made, given them your credit card and receive stateroom keys). So with all this - I don't see them waiving the boarding time of 2 pm. When we were on a B2B (2 consecutive voyages) we of course did not have to go through that the second time. Just up the gangplank and to our cabin.

Last December we sailed with the couple who have the most nights ever on SD - and I mean ever - more than 360 nights each with SD and they too had to wait until 2 pm to board. Even with probably 50% of the guests on the dock at 2pm, boarding was quick and easy -- with the never empty glass of champagne waiting for you, how bad can it be? And yes, in STT the dockworkers were very happy to take our luggage from us several hours early. Just realized that this thread was started with a San Juan departure -can't remember leaving luggage early there.

FT

Just to follow up what FT said about the B2B. We were in Istanbul and had a huge day planned so of course we were the first off and probably the last back on that day, but we were offered the option to come and go just like in any other port and were told that we would have lunch available at the usual time on the pool deck.

Keep in mind that turn around days are very busy and that while the ship is empty is the only time that the crew has to catch their breath.

In San Juan we checked in our luggage a little early, and had time to stroll down to a nearby mexican restaurant (right on the water) and get the cruise kicked off early with a great margarita :D We sat at the bar and could see SD1!

One other little tip for San Juan, if you are out and about early and want a quick breakfast, the Subway sandwich place right near the dock for SD actually whips up some great omlettes and breakfast sandwiches, plus they serve "cuban coffees" (sort of a sweetened latte). Tasty and you are in and out quick.

We've sailed out of San Juan on SeaDream twice. One time they started taking luggage about 12:30, the other time after 1 PM. It would be nice if they would consistently accept luggage at noon, and I've provided this feedback on every SeaDream customer survey I've completed.

During peak season in San Juan you will rarely be able to extend your time in the room (even as a Marriott Platinum member the desk clerk just smiled and laughed politely). Next time I'll stay at the Sheraton and store the luggage with the Bell Hop before going to lunch in OSJ.

Archived