Freedom soon and a few ?'s

darmik

More to come I am sure. First, when you board the ship, is the flowrider usually open? If not, when does it open? How soon can they get on, and where do you sign up for private lessons? Cost?

Second - coco cay - tell me more - I know nothing. I have heard tell of a slide, a water park, and cabanas. How you done any of these? If so, can you tell me more?

Tastings - are there wine, martini or liquor tastings on the ship? We have done a bunch of these on the Disney cruise and would like to do it again.

I have done 3 Disney cruise, 1 RCL (but on Enchantment) so, anything else I should know about the Freedom before we board? Will have a 11 and 16 yo with us.

Can't tell you about the flowrider, but there are wine tastings onboard.

Coco Cay is a relaxing break. We are not "beach people" per se, but enjoy Coco Cay. We simply find a nice place in the shade, sit down, relax and go out into refreshing water.

Keep a sharp eye, though. You may actually have sting rays swimming around you!

More to come I am sure. First, when you board the ship, is the flowrider usually open? If not, when does it open? How soon can they get on, and where do you sign up for private lessons? Cost?

Second - coco cay - tell me more - I know nothing. I have heard tell of a slide, a water park, and cabanas. How you done any of these? If so, can you tell me more?

Tastings - are there wine, martini or liquor tastings on the ship? We have done a bunch of these on the Disney cruise and would like to do it again.

I have done 3 Disney cruise, 1 RCL (but on Enchantment) so, anything else I should know about the Freedom before we board? Will have a 11 and 16 yo with us.

Yes, Flowrider will be open shortly after boarding -- perhaps 1:00 or 2:00. Private lessons are $300/hour; you sign up at the WipeOut place right by FlowRider. You can do just as well to go on the first day. Not many people will be there then, and some of them will be forced to sit and watch because their swimsuits are in their suitcases.

Look to your Daily Compass for times on the tastings. They'll be offered multiple times.

I am going on Freedom next year. I have asked some of the same questions as you. Here are a few answers that I have received.

1. Flowrider will not be open when u arrive onboard; however, u can go and sign up for lessons and slot times when you board.

2. You can sign up for private lessons; you will have to book the flowrider for these lessons. I am told you can rent out flowrider for an hour, during that hour you and your family, guests, etc can ride it as much as you can stand.

3. Coco Cay is RCI private island; much like Disneys private island; actually they are not that far apart from each other. Coco Cay has a water park with slides, moon bounces, jet ski, parasailing; they also have hammocks and cabanas. The ship will provide lunch on the island. You should be able to reserve shore excursions 90 days prior to sailing

4. Can't answer about wine tasting

Have a great cruise. You will love the Freedom. I know the flowrider will open soon after you board. If you don't want to drop the money for private use, then you can still enjoy it at no extra cost.

Most people will be headed to the windjammer when you board for lunch. If you don't want to deal w/the crowds, go to Sorrento's and have some pizza or a nice italian salad. They have pizzas and a case filled w/all sorts of italian goodies that you can have as small bites, or turn into a salad. Very good. You can also go to the Cafe Promenade and have small sandwhiches or desserts at this location when you board.

Cococay is a very nice private beach. You will have the option to do paddle boats, rent a mat and float out into the water, or look at the onboard excursions they have to offer. I love Cococay, but I didn't like all the little crabs that hover on the rocks. I'm not a fan of these critters, although, I know they probably won't hurt you. Check out the straw market and enjoy the BBQ lunch that is provided by the ship. Also, make sure you taste one of the coco locos...yum!

We attended a wine tasting for $15pp. My husband enjoyed this very much. Also, we made friends w/the bartender in Vintages and he would often recommend some good wines for us to try. He would actually give us a taste before ordering a glass. Unfortunately, one of the ones my husband liked was quite expensive and kept ordering this by the glass throughout the cruise.

Have an awesome time. The Freedom is beautiful!

The best thing to us at Coco Cay is the snorkeling. We love it. If you want to get away from the crowd, continue around to the right when getting off the tender. Less activity going on.

We have done the tasting on Disney's Magic. Lots of fun. RCCL have only wine tastings .

FloRider is definitely open the first day, probably by 1 pm and not very busy. My DS plans to spend the first afternoon there!

CocoCay is nice - I've been to Castaway and it seems to be bigger (w/the tram to the adult beach) and a little bit nicer (plus the dock versus tendering) but they are both great and Coco doesn't feel AS busy/crowded to me. You can sign up for ship excursions (and the water slide) in advance or you can just vege out and have a beach day.

I know they have tastings but we've never done them on RCCL. We really enjoyed the DCL wine one so we should look at the ones on RCCl because we'd probably enjoy as well - check the cruise compass for days/times

On our first day on Freedom the Flowrider opened up about 2ish. Once the desk is open go & sign the waivers; you get a wristband for the whole week & then get a second "paper" wristband each day (different colour for each day) when you sign in. There were lots of people watching that first afternoon, but not many having a try (see post above about not taking swimwear in your carry on ;))

There are height restrictions for bodyboarding & stand up surfing - check your 11 year old is tall enough before they get all excited about trying stand up & then are not allowed to do it. IIRC it was 58" but don't quote me on that without back up.

Flowrider is very busy on sea days. Make sure you are dressed appropriately to avoid embarrassment when you wipe out. It happens lots!!

Vintages do a few wine "flight" tastings; we didn't try any so can't tell you if it was any good or not, sorry.

We were on Freedom the last week of June. Definitely get the Flowrider waiver signed that first day, then you (the parent) won't have to be there every day after that to sign your child in (which they will have to do to get the daily wristband). Our son took an hour's lesson for $60 with 7 others. He did stand-up surfing at the lesson, which was great (because I don't think he would have tried it without the lesson). Our friend's son wasn't tall enough, so he did the boogie boarding lesson. They had 2 instructors for the hour. They taught the boogie board kids tricks and the taller kids how to surf. It was well worth the $60. If you rent the Flowrider for an hour for your group ($300), I don't think you get an instructor. At least that's what they told me at the Wipeout counter. We had a choice on the lesson time mid-week, but it was in the evening (ours was at 6:15). The last day was a sea day, so the lessons were all booked by at least the morning before. Our son love it so much that all of our future cruises will have to be on a ship that has a Flowrider. By the way, waivers have to be signed by a parent for the rock wall and ice-skating (don't foget to bring jeans for that), but like Flowrider, you just have to sign it once for the week.

Enjoy!

We were on Freedom the last week of June. Definitely get the Flowrider waiver signed that first day, then you (the parent) won't have to be there every day after that to sign your child in (which they will have to do to get the daily wristband). Our son took an hour's lesson for $60 with 7 others. He did stand-up surfing at the lesson, which was great (because I don't think he would have tried it without the lesson). Our friend's son wasn't tall enough, so he did the boogie boarding lesson. They had 2 instructors for the hour. They taught the boogie board kids tricks and the taller kids how to surf. It was well worth the $60. If you rent the Flowrider for an hour for your group ($300), I don't think you get an instructor. At least that's what they told me at the Wipeout counter. We had a choice on the lesson time mid-week, but it was in the evening (ours was at 6:15). The last day was a sea day, so the lessons were all booked by at least the morning before. Our son love it so much that all of our future cruises will have to be on a ship that has a Flowrider. By the way, waivers have to be signed by a parent for the rock wall and ice-skating (don't foget to bring jeans for that), but like Flowrider, you just have to sign it once for the week.

Enjoy!

Reiterating this poster's statement: On the first night (6:30 or so) they had a sign-up for EVERYTHING at once. It was very convenient. I went one time and signed up all four girls for FlowRider, the rock wall, and ice skating. (Yes, 12 forms for them + 3 for myself -- I signed my name 'til my hand cramped, but then they were all clear to GO for the week.) They each got a dark blue plastic wristband, which had squares for each activity. Because I gave permission for each item, each square was stamped. This meant I didn't have to be there when the girls took part in these activities. Note: You have to be there for children under 12.

Also, a trick concerning FlowRider: If you're in your room wondering whether it's crowded, turn on your TV. There's a live TV channel showing you just what's going on, so you can see how long the line is before you change clothes. They had night surfing a couple times, and it wasn't too badly crowded. The worst possible time is midday on at at-sea day.

Do look at the Daily Compass too: Sometimes it's set aside for teens, sometimes it's only for stand-up surfing.

Note: I was on Liberty, but I'd bet it's handled the same way on all the ships.

We were on FOS June 27th sailing. Flowrider is open by 1:00 pm I believe day of ships departing. Lessons are $60 p/p for an hour. My kids (14 and 16) loved the lesson. I recommend signing up at the beginning of the cruise so they can practice what they learn the rest of the week.

We didn't do any tastings, but they did have a wine tasting for $15.

Get the waivers all signed at the beginning of the cruise so it's over and done with (rock climbing wall, ice-skating, and flow rider). It will save a lot of time. Also, if you want to attend the ice-skating show, make sure you get your tickets on the first or second day. They are gone quickly!

Also, if you want to attend the ice-skating show, make sure you get your tickets on the first or second day. They are gone quickly!
Tickets are a thing of the past. Now seating is first-come, first serve. Well, not exactly . . . they have a section set aside for suite guests.

Tickets are a thing of the past. Now seating is first-come, first serve. Well, not exactly . . . they have a section set aside for suite guests.

This must be something fairly new. We sailed June 27th - July 4th and they were still doing tickets. Although, they did have a line for guests without tickets and everyone was able to get inside after the ticketed guests were seated.

Yes, Flowrider will be open shortly after boarding -- perhaps 1:00 or 2:00. Private lessons are $300/hour; you sign up at the WipeOut place right by FlowRider. You can do just as well to go on the first day. Not many people will be there then, and some of them will be forced to sit and watch because their swimsuits are in their suitcases.

Look to your Daily Compass for times on the tastings. They'll be offered multiple times.

Private lessons are ONLY $60 an hour; however, if you want to rent the Flowrider for yourself for an hour it is $300 :D

This must be something fairly new. We sailed June 27th - July 4th and they were still doing tickets. Although, they did have a line for guests without tickets and everyone was able to get inside after the ticketed guests were seated.
Maybe so. I just disembarked August 1st.

I was on the FOS this past January.

My daily planner states the FlowRider was open on Day 1.

Boogie Boarding 1:30-3:15, 4:15-5:30 & 6:00-6:45

Demonstration at 5:50

Also states: Please remove all jewelry items. Ladies are advised to please wear a t-shirt. A FlowRider waiver must be completed once per cruise vacation. Waiver desk will close approximately 15-30 minutes before closing time.

I suggest guys tie the swim shorts nice and tight, because many were falling down after wiping out. Many young guys wear boxers under the swim shorts, which keep the bum/cheeks covered.

ENJOY! Hanging out at the FlowRider is lots of fun.

Archived