Serenade of the Seas questions

DonnaK

We are considering Serenade of the Seas for our next cruise (Summer 2011). We have only sailed on Voyager class ships and know them inside-out. However I'm not familiar with Radiance class ships at all. Is there anything I should know? For example, are some balcony cabins preferable over others? Any balcony cabins or areas that I should avoid? Any other tidbits you can share with me....like, I know the obvious differences between these classes of ships (no promenade or skating rink, glass elevators and solarium with retractable roof), but what are the subtle differences I should know about?

We absolutely LOVE the Radiance Class ships!!!

Come go with us on the Serenade - June 5th or June 12th!!! I'll give you our Rollcall Links if you want. :p

For balcony Cabins, avoid the 7th deck. I love to sit out on the balcony at night and watch the water against the ship. I love to see down to the ocean at the boats, action, etc. while in ports.

You will NOT be able to see down if you are on the 7th deck. There is a cover over the Life Boats that are on the 6th deck, and it sticks out about 6 feet blocking you view down.

As for other balcony cabins, on the Hump Cabins and the AFt Cabins, the balconies are HUGE. We already have 9078 booked (our favorite cabin and we always get that one!!), but look at the deck plans and you can see the difference. On the Starboard side there are some as well.

If you cruise because you love the ocean, then you will also LOVE the Serenade. These ships are built with hundreds of acres (yes, I said ACRES ;)) of GLASS. No matter where you go, you can see the ocean.

You don't get the 24 hour Cafe Promenade, but you get the SeaView Cafe, which is open til 1:00 or 1:30 am.

We love the Centrum for gathering to enjoy music and dancing before and after dinner.

Hope This Helps.

We absolutely LOVE the Radiance Class ships!!!

Come go with us on the Serenade - June 5th or June 12th!!! I'll give you our Rollcall Links if you want. :p

For balcony Cabins, avoid the 7th deck. I love to sit out on the balcony at night and watch the water against the ship. I love to see down to the ocean at the boats, action, etc. while in ports.

You will NOT be able to see down if you are on the 7th deck. There is a cover over the Life Boats that are on the 6th deck, and it sticks out about 6 feet blocking you view down.

As for other balcony cabins, on the Hump Cabins and the AFt Cabins, the balconies are HUGE. We already have 9078 booked (our favorite cabin and we always get that one!!), but look at the deck plans and you can see the difference. On the Starboard side there are some as well.

If you cruise because you love the ocean, then you will also LOVE the Serenade. These ships are built with hundreds of acres (yes, I said ACRES ;)) of GLASS. No matter where you go, you can see the ocean.

You don't get the 24 hour Cafe Promenade, but you get the SeaView Cafe, which is open til 1:00 or 1:30 am.

We love the Centrum for gathering to enjoy music and dancing before and after dinner.

Hope This Helps.

Actually we had a balcony cabin on the 7th deck and it was great...there were no lifeboats in view...however....we were in 7026 which is forward

The crew of Serenade is wonderful. Although smaller than Voyager class, Serenade had both Chops and Portofino. We ate in Portofino three times on our last cruise; great food and the best service we have ever had. One hidden treat is the crepes served in the solarium each afternoon. Yummy!!! Don't miss the self-leveling pool tables. Hump balconies are the best, imho. Those next to the exterior elevators are much larger. Don't worry about noise, you will never hear the elevators. We have been next to the elevators many times, and never had a problem.

I agree the Seaview Cafe if a nice alternative for a quick snack. Loved the different choices and outdoor seating. Also like the outdoor seating at the windjammer....REALLY NICE.

We had cabin 9256 corner aft and we just loved it. Take a look at the deck plans.

Carol

I am going to give you an honest comparison because our favorite has been and still is the Voyager Class. Before sailing, we read many reviews about how wonderful the Serenade is and how much people loved it. So we were really looking forward to trying a new class of ship. But when we sailed on Serenade last year, we really missed many things from the larger ships. Definitely missed the Royal Promenade! The shops all seem crowded together and it becomes very congested. The Windjammer seemed "cut-off" as it is half the size. The solarium is glass-dome enclosed, so not open air. We felt way more movement than we have ever felt in the larger ship. And we missed the Cafe' promenade...did not really like the Seaview Cafe'. It is way out of the way up on the 12th deck back behind the sports area and it was mostly fried Johnny Rockets-type food. The Centrum area is small...they actually have scheduled entertainment there, but hardly anyplace for people to sit. On the plus side, we enjoyed the outdoor dining in the Windjammer and the constant ocean views. The service and food were excellent and as in RCCL tradition, it was a beautiful ship! We had a wonderful cruise!

With all that said, we are sailing on her again next spring as we like the Southern Caribbean itinerary...so obviously we are willing to sacrifice some of our favorite things about Voyager class. But you will notice a difference..and knowing that before you go, will make the transition easier.

S o S not true on view. The Ship has great views, it''s route South Carb. is only port true. We used are balcony never. Have a great cruise. If your cruise takes to St.Martaan google (www.randomwind.com} Say hi to Diane !

I am going to give you an honest comparison because our favorite has been and still is the Voyager Class. Before sailing, we read many reviews about how wonderful the Serenade is and how much people loved it. So we were really looking forward to trying a new class of ship. But when we sailed on Serenade last year, we really missed many things from the larger ships. Definitely missed the Royal Promenade! The shops all seem crowded together and it becomes very congested. The Windjammer seemed "cut-off" as it is half the size. The solarium is glass-dome enclosed, so not open air. We felt way more movement than we have ever felt in the larger ship. And we missed the Cafe' promenade...did not really like the Seaview Cafe'. It is way out of the way up on the 12th deck back behind the sports area and it was mostly fried Johnny Rockets-type food. The Centrum area is small...they actually have scheduled entertainment there, but hardly anyplace for people to sit. On the plus side, we enjoyed the outdoor dining in the Windjammer and the constant ocean views. The service and food were excellent and as in RCCL tradition, it was a beautiful ship! We had a wonderful cruise!

With all that said, we are sailing on her again next spring as we like the Southern Caribbean itinerary...so obviously we are willing to sacrifice some of our favorite things about Voyager class. But you will notice a difference..and knowing that before you go, will make the transition easier.

Just got off the Serenade a few hours ago and could not agree with you more on all your comments.

This was our first time on any RCI ship. Sailed many times on Carnival, but chose the Serenade due to the itinerary.

Sorry to say, but this ship was just too small for us. The shops were way to crowed and to get to the theater, you had to pass thru this area (unless you went to deck 5 via an alt route).

Our issues were (as small as they were): no ice tea or lemonade after the Windjammer closed for the night. Only water was avail in the Seaview. This was an issue for us. Carnival had the free beverages avail all the time.

The Centrum was just overly crowed ALL the time. They had an art auction there and had to bring in more chairs at the last minute. Funny since they really had NO place to put them.

Would I sail the Serenade again? Probably not. Would sail RCI again? Well maybe, but only on a larger ship.

If time allows me, I will try and post a review.

mitch....

I haven't been on the Voyager class (yet :D ) but I just loved the Serenade. I thought she was a beautiful ship and since shopping on board is a non-issue for me I couldn't care less about the Promenade shops or lack thereof. I thought the crew was friendly, the views were amazing and the ports of call fabulous. I wanted to sail on her again this December but unfortunately had to cancel :( I will be on her sister, the Jewel, next April and can't wait to experience my very first balcony cabin (a hump cabin, no less).

Thank you so much for your replies and comparisons. I agree with the poster who said that knowing in advance makes the "blow" less severe once onboard. We've moved over to Princess for our last two cruises, and although they were excellent, there are just too many things we prefer on RCI and it's time to come back. Unfortunately, having to sail in the summer leaves us with so few choices. Explorer is too expensive compared to the equivalent Princess cruise, and Oasis, Allure and Freedom visit the same tired old ports that I've been to many times before. So that leaves Serenade, with it's fresher itinerary and reasonable prices. Otherwise, the only other interesting choices are Carnival Victory and Carnival Dream, and one cruise on Carnival was enough for us....I swore I'd never sail with them again.

Anyway, keep the opinions and ideas coming.

having to sail in the summer leaves us with so few choices.

Anyway, keep the opinions and ideas coming.

Donna;

When are you talking about going? Be sure to Come to the Rollcall after you decide and get booked!:cool:

Here's for June 5th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1219579

And here's for June 12th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25245639#post25245639

See you there!! :D

In 2 months I am on her! I just like and have fell in love with cruising! The 1st cruise was on Sovereign of the Seas and was much smaller, but I had a blast. If Sovereign was still in the fleet I'd sail her again. We have made up our mind to enjoy whatever the ship has to offer even if we go back and forth from larger to smaller to larger! We just want to cruise and have fun! :cool:

Donna;

When are you talking about going? Be sure to Come to the Rollcall after you decide and get booked!:cool:

Here's for June 5th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1219579

And here's for June 12th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25245639#post25245639

See you there!! :D

Wish we could go then, but I still have a daughter in high school, and she won't be out until the last week of June. My college-aged daughter is planning to study abroad next July, so that month is ruled out too. We're looking at July 31, Aug 7, 14 or 21. (We've done the Aruba itinerary on Adventure of the Seas, although the Serenade one has a different port on it. So, we're leaning towards the Barbados itinerary because it has more new-to-us ports.)

Although I've sworn never to sail on Carnival again after a very bad cruise with them, their itinerary on the Victory and the Dream are both tempting (especially the Victory because with no sea days, there's less time on the Carnival ship). But, really, I think it's time for us to return to RCI.

DHaden we are in the same cabin on October. I have heard very good things about this cabin, alas not too many pictures. Would you be in possessions of any? I have heard very good things about her. I have sailed the small (Song of Norway) and the large EOS, LOS and VOS and I await this ship with an open mind. I like the smaller ships. So far Enchantment has been my favorite. Will Serenade change that? I hope so.

We liked Brilliance enough to make our choice of Serenade (in conjunction with rest of group) very east. One oft noted factor for Radiance class is less of the things that attract kids so there are often fewer. In the OPs case this may or may not be something to consider.

We are looking forward to some of the features others have mentioned that we could not really use in cold North Atlantic - outdoor seating at Seaview Cafe and Windjammer in particular. Pools too - outdoor was too cold and solarium was always packed.

Our favorite thing though was the variety of lounges on deck 6 - especially the piano bar entertainment in the Schooner Bar and the quiet views astern from the Congo Bar area late at night when activities had stopped in the Safari Club.

We have deck 7 cabins overlooking the lifeboat awning but are not worried abour that. Some in group don't like heights and not being able to look straight down may be a plus. On Brilliance we were on deck 9 really far forward and did enjoy watching the pilot transfers from there.

We've been on the Radiance 3x, Serenade 3x and our upcoming Jewel cruise will be our 3rd on that ship. So we like this class of ship.

I disagree with the poster that said the Seaview Cafe is all fried food. They have salads and soup and even clam chowder in a bread bowl if you want. They have a great tuna melt sandwich and great Cuban and Rueben sandwiches. You can also get Fingers and Feathers, which is chicken tenders and wings. The last time we were on Radiance (Nov. 09) they had free lemonade and ice tea right there in the Seaview. They had glasses of ice and you got your own beverage.

We've had cabins on decks 7 through 10, E's, D's and one JS (on the Serenade). Never a bad view, but then I'm not one to look straight down the side of the ship. I do like the hump cabins, more for their nearness to the stairs than anything else.

Love, love, love the outdoor eating area at the back of the Windjammer. We ate out there even in Alaska. And like Cruizin-K, I'm not an onboard shopper, so the small shopping area did not impact me at all. The theater has very comfy seating and the Safari Lounge is my favorite late night venue unless there is someone outstanding in the Schooner Bar.

We sailed Serenade Memorial Day weekend this year (7 day Southern Caribbean.) We were on deck 7 - balcony room 7550. It's true that the lifeboat covers block your downward view from some deck 7 cabins, so if you like to lean over and watch the ship cut through the water, you're out of luck if you're in one of those cabins. We didn't really mind it, and spent quite a bit of time on our balcony. You still have a great view (hey! you're in the Caribbean), and could see down, just not straight down. We've also sailed Voyager class and Freedom class, and there are differences. We did miss the "Royal Promenade", and the ice show, and the shops area was congested to gridlock after shows. On the plus side, we loved the outside seating area for the Windjammer. Plus, we never had any problem finding seating at the Windjammer, like we did on the larger ships. The ship is still big, but it's a shorter walk to where ever you're going. And, therre's still more things to do than I could get done. I like Serenade a little better than the bigger ships, but my wife liked the bigger ones slightly better. It may depend what all you're looking for. We'd sail Serenade again if the circumstances (itinerary, etc.) work out.

The only thing I don't like about Radiance class ships is the enclosed Solarium...they seldom open the "retractable" roof, which means, no tanning! Other than that, it's a great class of ship.

Well, this would be no problem for me. We have NO interest in tanning and would prefer this feature.

We liked Brilliance enough to make our choice of Serenade (in conjunction with rest of group) very east. One oft noted factor for Radiance class is less of the things that attract kids so there are often fewer. In the OPs case this may or may not be something to consider.

My "kids" will be 17 and 19 on our next cruise...I'm thinking that with these more port intensive southern itineraries, this wouldn't be a dealbreaker. They stopped attending teen/kids clubs a few cruises ago.

The only thing I don't like about Radiance class ships is the enclosed Solarium...they seldom open the "retractable" roof, which means, no tanning! Other than that, it's a great class of ship.

With the roof closed, is there a strong chlorine smell like there is in hotels that have indoor pools??

Archived