Zaandam "S"--No Desk???

DrFUN

We've put a deposit on a Zaandam "S"--but when I study the virtual tour and layout, I can't see that there's a desk in this stateroom (other than the dressing table in the separate dressing room). Can anyone let me know where you put your laptop or write notes:confused:

It's pretty amazing NOT to have even ONE desk in this large deluxe suite, when even the regular balcony staterooms have them. :rolleyes:

I love the Neptune Lounge and other perks (had an S on the Maasdam and aft corner SC on the Oosterdam), but we've also had a BB on the Rotterdam and were fine with it.

This is for a 24-night sailing from Kobe to Vancouver.

Thanks for any advice,

Mary-Lou

We've put a deposit on a Zaandam "S"--but when I study the virtual tour and layout, I can't see that there's a desk in this stateroom (other than the dressing table in the separate dressing room). Can anyone let me know where you put your laptop or write notes:confused:

It's pretty amazing NOT to have even ONE desk in this large deluxe suite, when even the regular balcony staterooms have them. :rolleyes:

I love the Neptune Lounge and other perks (had an S on the Maasdam and aft corner SC on the Oosterdam), but we've also had a BB on the Rotterdam and were fine with it.

This is for a 24-night sailing from Kobe to Vancouver.

Thanks for any advice,

Mary-Lou

According to Joanie's picture website, the "S" class has a large desk. At the link below, is cabin #7201.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zaandam/GP_ZaandamTour014.jpg

Joanie's HAL photos site: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Never had an S category cabin on the Vista or Signature ships but have on the S and R class and none of them I've been in have a desk in the room. As mentioned the closest thing to a sit down type desk is in the dressing area, not in the main bedroom/sitting area.

There is countertop across the drawers on that wall, as the picture shows, but no kneehole type desk with chair. I presume that is what OP means by a "desk" to write notes and use laptop. I'd rather have the drawer space and the lack of 3 of the drawers was one of the complaints when they changed this on the Vistas. There is a coffee table in front of the sofa and you can use that for laptop, etc.

According to Joanie's picture website, the "S" class has a large desk. At the link below, is cabin #7201.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zaandam/GP_ZaandamTour014.jpg

Joanie's HAL photos site: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

WOW!! That blew my mind!! I went to look at all the "S" on Zaandam, and not one desk... Instead o a desk they have one long dresser\TV\fridge (cooler) combo...

I did a search of the photos and found no desks on the "R" Class S category staterooms except for the "S" on the Rotterdam.http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/7062_TracieABD-1.jpg There are no S category on the Amsterdam, instead they are listed as either SA or SB and they also have no desks showing

Joanie

WOW!! That blew my mind!! I went to look at all the "S" on Zaandam, and not one desk... Instead o a desk they have one long dresser\TV\fridge (cooler) combo...

I did a search of the photos and found no desks on the "R" Class S category staterooms except for the "S" on the Rotterdam.http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/7062_TracieABD-1.jpg There are no S category on the Amsterdam, instead they are listed as either SA or SB and they also have no desks showing

Joanie

The Rotterdam 'S' doesn't have a desk, at least didn't when we were on it. The picture you link to in this post isn't an 'S'. The pic of the 'S' you show on your website doesn't show a desk.

We have used the area in the dressing room as a desk for the computer, but we have also used the little table next to the sofa, not the coffee table, but the lighted table before the sofa starts. A desk would be nice, but these two places have worked in a pinch.

Joanie

In the S / SA / SB on the Amsterdam -- your pictures do not show the entire room. It is just to the one side of the sofa -- right after you walk into the room. We have been in 2 different S's on that ship.

Taken from HAL's web site:

• Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • Neptune Lounge: A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Picture is from HAL's web site -- at the curved end of the sofa you will see a small white area -- only on the Amsterdam is this area the desk.

3D_150X_dlxverandah.gif

In the S / SA / SB on the Amsterdam -- your pictures do not show the entire room. It is just to the one side of the sofa -- right after you walk into the room. We have been in 2 different S's on that ship.

I was thinking of a kneehole desk along the window wall like the Vistas have and think of the table next to the sofa when you enter the room as an end table. But certainly can see how it could be used as a place for a laptop or other desk-use if needed.

not only do the S class, the ROTTERDAM, for certain lack desks -- and I THINK I remember NO desk in the couple of suites I had in Australia and Asia in the VOLENDAM which are like those in the ZAANDAM lacked a desk, there is no convenient electrical socket where the desk should be - in the entrance to the room, next to the curved sofa as it is in the AMSTERDAM. I have used long ugly orange extension cords, have sat on my butt in front of the coffee table in S ships, once used the dressing room for my computer, and have had a folding card table, extension cord and chair brought up in a couple of ships. I am lost without my computer, a workaholic I write the American Merchant Marine history series so I MUST have a place in the cabin to work. In this HAL ships have always been especially accommodating but I still don't understand why those things are lacking. That said, the Special Suites (SS, SY, SZ) in the Vista ships have TWO desks each...

The Rotterdam 'S' doesn't have a desk, at least didn't when we were on it. The picture you link to in this post isn't an 'S'. The pic of the 'S' you show on your website doesn't show a desk.

Peaches, Thank You!! I have it listed as S 7022, when in fact it is A 7062:o

I will change that right now!!

My apologies to those that I have thoroughly confused, including myself!!

Joanie

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/7062_TracieABD-1.jpg

That photo is actually one of the new Lanai staterooms. That's the Lower Promenade (notice the gate to enter lifeboats!) - not a private veranda - seen through the door.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/7062_TracieABD-1.jpg

That photo is actually one of the new Lanai staterooms. That's the Lower Promenade (notice the gate to enter lifeboats!) - not a private veranda - seen through the door.

Thank you, I agree it does look like a Lanai, however, I have to go by what the CC member sends me and she says this:

We stayed in Verandah Suite 7062. The cabin was lovely. The balcony was a bit smaller than other balconies and occasionally we heard some scraping from the retreat one deck above us. Also, we did get a fair amount of vibration and movement from being in the back of the boat. None of these were so bad, these are just observations.

Cruise Critic Member: TracieABD

I just checked the Deck Plans and this is indeed the Rotterdam Deck 7. I guess it looks quite similar but.. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/Deck-7-b.jpg

Joanie

As always, these boards are a wealth of excellent information -- thanks to kind posters like all of you (above) who graciously answer the call! I am truly grateful to know I wasn't mis-viewing the virtual tour when I looked for a DESK under which you can put your legs and WRITE for an extended time (which is necessary for my work even when I'm on vacation). ;)

Interesting that the non-desk set-up is like the Maasdam "S" -- which we liked in terms of space but did NOT like the lack of a desk. Thanks for your good ideas above for improvising....

Now I'm wondering if there even IS wireless in the "S" on the older Zaandam. :confused: Perhaps we'd have to go to the Neptune Lounge for Internet anyway (though we also use it for photos and other non-Internet writing)...?

Our big decision now is whether to keep the "S" or rebook to a regular balcony stateroom. I realize we are very blessed to have such a "problem"! :D

With appreciation to everyone who responded,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

Archived