Outside view cabin vs. Indoor cabin for seasickness

hmp2z

Hi! This will be our second cruise (previous was on Celebrity), and we're looking at the Ryndam. I'm prone to car sickness but wore the patch on previous cruise and didn't have any issues. My question is this: Our choices are between an oceanview room on the Main deck (looks like the 2nd floor up) and an inside stateroom on the Navigation deck (looks like the 7th floor up). If I recollect correctly, the ship's motion on the Celebrity Solstice was much more noticeable on the lower floors. However, I've been told that having a window minimizes the effects of seasickness. Any thoughts on one versus the other would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Heather W

Hi! This will be our second cruise (previous was on Celebrity), and we're looking at the Ryndam. I'm prone to car sickness but wore the patch on previous cruise and didn't have any issues. My question is this: Our choices are between an oceanview room on the Main deck (looks like the 2nd floor up) and an inside stateroom on the Navigation deck (looks like the 7th floor up). If I recollect correctly, the ship's motion on the Celebrity Solstice was much more noticeable on the lower floors. However, I've been told that having a window minimizes the effects of seasickness. Any thoughts on one versus the other would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Heather W

Typically the least motion will be felt at the center of the ship (Midships) and lower down.

Low and mid-ships is the best location to prevent seasickness. Looking at the horizon (and fresh air) is also supposed to help. So does ginger and green apples. I don't know why green apples are supposed to be better than red ones. :confused: I just know that having something in one's stomach does help.

Thank you!

Heather W

You usually feel the motion of the ship more on the upper decks, but the more important issue is to be midship. You might have felt the ship's movement on a lower deck if you were way forward or aft. Its more important to have a cabin that's midship.

Most important: don't let anyone on this forum or anywhere else tell you that seasickness is all in your head. Its a physical reaction by the brain/body to external stimuli. The reaction starts in your brain and then trickles down to your GI system.

Think of a old fashioned metronome (with the moving arm) for the roll movement of a ship, and a teeter-totter for the pitch motion of a ship.

Lower and midships is usually the most stable location.

I think being able to see outside helps settle the stomach, and prefer ocean view cabins.

A major contributing factor to sea sickness is uncontrolled movement of your head, which confuses the inner ear and balance reflexes. The more you can hold your head steady, the less likely your are to feel sick. This means that looking at land or the horizon to help keep your head steady is a good thing to do. I can tell you from many years of sailing on small sailboats, that you are far better off with an ocean view cabin where you can see outside if you start to feel sick. If you are prone to sea sickness, the last place you want to be is in an inside stateroom, where you won't be able to control your head movement.

I'm lucky and don't usually suffer from sea sickness. However I did feel bad on the sail from New York down to the Caribbean, mainly because I got a migrane at the same time as we hit rough seas - not a good combination! Once I dragged myself out of bed and onto the

balcony I felt much better. Fresh air is the best cure for sea sickness.

Thank you!

Heather W

I get queasy if I try to read in a car or bus, but I don't get seasick easily. It's a different kind of motion, so don't assume you'll be seasick because you don't do well in a car. And while it is a physiological reaction to motion, there is also a bit of "all in your mind" to it. If you worry about it and think about it a lot, you're more likely to give in to the problem and be sick. If it isn't too bad, you can talk yourself out of being sick. But there is a point of no return where you body is just too unhappy and all the staring at the horizon or breathing fresh air won't fix it.

I believe in ginger ale and saltines. Ginger does soothe an upset stomach, and bland crackers keep a little something in your stomach that is easy to digest. I actually tend to get hungry when the ship is rocking and rolling and I'm not feeling sick. I get this hearty feeling, like "Arrrrr! Life at sea!" I feel guilty about enjoying the motion when so many people suffer from it.

If you can't get a cabin midships, I think it's better to move aft than forward. The only time I was seasick in more than 30 cruises was on the north Atlantic in a tiny forward inside cabin during a horrible storm. That's all the bad conditions rolled into one. And then I stupidly turned on the TV to see the "view from the bridge." One cycle of the bow going up and down finished me. I spent the rest of the day in bed. Then the weather cleared and I was OK.

when your brain cannot send a horizon line message to your inner ear for balance, you are far more likely to get motion sickness.

inside cabins are the last thing you want if you are prone to it.

But unless you're looking out the window it doesn't help to have it. In an inside cabin you can use the TV tuned to the bow or stern camera channels as an artificial window which is just about as good.

But unless you're looking out the window it doesn't help to have it. In an inside cabin you can use the TV tuned to the bow or stern camera channels as an artificial window which is just about as good.

I disagree. The TV is a virtual horizon, and the horizon line moves up and down at a lot on the screen if the ship is pitching. Even a window is a limited horizon. I think the best thing to do is to go on deck, midships, and look at a broad horizon and take some deep breaths.

I disagree. The TV is a virtual horizon, and the horizon line moves up and down at a lot on the screen if the ship is pitching. Even a window is a limited horizon. I think the best thing to do is to go on deck, midships, and look at a broad horizon and take some deep breaths.
:confused::confused: And the horizon line moves up and down a lot if you're looking out the window of an Outside. Yes, going to an outside deck is much better, but all I'm saying is the you have an Inside, the TV is just about as good as a window in an Outside.

Archived