A message for RCCL:

What would you pay for a bottle of water?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What would you pay for a bottle of water?

• Heavy Drinker:$4 for a bottle of Evian
    • Heavy Drinker:$2 for Dasani, Aquafina, Deer Park or similar
    • Light Drinker:$4 for a bottle of Evian
    • Light Drinker:$2 for Dasani, Aquafina, Deer Park or similar
    • Go Fly a Kite, I'm not paying for Bottled Water

the ships have their own salinization system on board and we have no problem drinking it - the water in the windjammer is the same that comes out of the taps in your cabin - so I was told - I usually bring an empty water bottle and just fill it with the water from the windjammer or tap in the room to take off the ship on non-sea days

:)

ppppssssssssssttttttttttt............insulationbabe: You mean "desalinization". Fortunately, they are REMOVING the salt content from the seawater, NOT adding to it!

Have you ever had the pleasure of the tap water in Phoenix? More than enough reason to buy bottled water.

Or has there ever been a cancer cluster traced back to contaminated wells in the city you live in? Would make for a good movie, oh wait, they did make it into a movie. I will drink my bottled water too.

Exactly. I don't know why they think we need "designer" bottled water - most of us are happy with Aquafina or Poland Springs or whatever. So - RCCL -

PLEASE GIVE US A LESS EXPENSIVE OPTION!

I don't want to lug water onboard - although I know some people do, and that's a whole different issue. I just want a decent bottle of water at a decent price.

AMEN my friend! Pardon my English, but I absolutely freaking hate Evian. I buy ONE bottle of it, grudgingly, and then refill it at the spa/workout center from their large bottles. I like good old fashioned, unpretentious Poland Spring, Aquafina or Dasani. I don't need designer water just something that doesn't taste like over mineralized cr@p.

We both drink a lot of bottled water. Our tap water is terrible. Our water of choice is Deer Park. (It does amaze me sometimes that different brands of water can taste so different for different people!)

We don't want to drink the tap water on the ship because we've heard too much about the salt content. We figure we get enough of it through food prep, etc. We've bought the water packages on board for convenience. We're not going to lug around a case or two (I know, I know, we can buy it in the port - still not going to lug it around) and we're not going to carry empty bottles around with us and have to worry/bother about refilling them.

I'd also prefer the smaller size, at less cost per bottle, but we don't worry about the that too much, it's just part of the cost of cruising.

It's nice to see that so far, from the results of the poll, almost NO ONE likes the overpriced designer water they're currently selling.... Apparently people are buying it just because it's the only choice available? Maybe people would buy more water (as opposed to trying to bring it onboard with them) if they made a more palatable choice available as well as the upscale brand?

Take note, RCCL!

I find it very interesting that Evian scored so low. RCI should take heed of that; stuff tastes like pool water:eek:

On our cruise last year we ordered a case of water. When we came back to the room and found the Evian I called and asked them to take it back. they should at least offer a few different brands, don't you think?

I find it very interesting that Evian scored so low. RCI should take heed of that; stuff tastes like pool water:eek:

On our cruise last year we ordered a case of water. When we came back to the room and found the Evian I called and asked them to take it back. they should at least offer a few different brands, don't you think?

We all know that Evian spelled backward is Naive! :cool: I like cheap bottled spring water or the reverse osmosis stuff at about ten cents per 500 ml bottle in cases in our supermarkets. We don't get fancy packaging with it, though.

RCCL seems to stand for Really Cheap Cruise Line.

They have taken my Diamond Benefits, my Shareholder Benefits and now make us buy their water. They make it impossible for us Pepsi and 7-UP drinkers and they do not sell my favourite Scotch either.

The important vote that we have is the choice to book with other cruise lines. Diamond Bill

ppppssssssssssttttttttttt............insulationbabe: You mean "desalinization". Fortunately, they are REMOVING the salt content from the seawater, NOT adding to it!

You've got it. It cracks me up everytime someone posts that the ships' water has more sodium in it than city tap or any other water. It doesn't, btw. I drink ships' water and it really has no flavor either. When buying "bottled" water, be aware most comes from city taps. And some of the "fresh spring water" is from springs, but that doesn't make it purer (or even as pure) than what comes out of your tap either. Bottled water has made the companies that sell it a ton of money, but it really doesn't do anything for the individual buying it, except cost them money. Is it convenient? Usually more so than other options, but it really is marketed in such a way that people think it's something that it's not.

You've got it. It cracks me up everytime someone posts that the ships' water has more sodium in it than city tap or any other water. It doesn't, btw. I drink ships' water and it really has no flavor either. When buying "bottled" water, be aware most comes from city taps. And some of the "fresh spring water" is from springs, but that doesn't make it purer (or even as pure) than what comes out of your tap either. Bottled water has made the companies that sell it a ton of money, but it really doesn't do anything for the individual buying it, except cost them money. Is it convenient? Usually more so than other options, but it really is marketed in such a way that people think it's something that it's not.

I completely agree. Our tap water here in Campbell River flows from mountain lakes, is quite safe, and tastes wonderful. I like the convenience of water bottles (generally filled from the tap and refrigerated) beside the bed at night, in the motorcycle saddle bags, etc. Since we are overdue for the BIG EARTHQUAKE we keep cases of bottled water under the bed, in the earthquake cupboard and always have bottles of water in the car. Bottled water has its place and could be a lifesaver (but I will not pay $3 or $4 a bottle to drink it on a ship). We bring two 1 1/2 litre bottles in nice Celebrity shoulder strap bottle holders when we board and fill them in the buffet in the morning before going ashore. Colour us cheap, but I would rather save money on water and invest it in fine old Scotch! :cool: D Bill

We all know that Evian spelled backward is Naive! :cool: I like cheap bottled spring water or the reverse osmosis stuff at about ten cents per 500 ml bottle in cases in our supermarkets. We don't get fancy packaging with it, though.

RCCL seems to stand for Really Cheap Cruise Line.

They have taken my Diamond Benefits, my Shareholder Benefits and now make us buy their water. They make it impossible for us Pepsi and 7-UP drinkers and they do not sell my favourite Scotch either.

The important vote that we have is the choice to book with other cruise lines. Diamond Bill

[/quote

For a scotch and water do they charge you for both the water and the scotch??????????????? If so how do you know its not tap water you are paying for.

[/color][/quote

For a scotch and water do they charge you for both the water and the scotch??????????????? If so how do you know its not tap water you are paying for.

There is special something about a glass of 12 or 17 year old Macallan and tap water. They also make the ice out of the same water. The water is free' date=' sort of, add 15 or 18% automatic gratuity plus an extra few dollars to insure that you get a really good pour from the bartender for the second glass. :cool: Bill

[/color']

There is special something about a glass of 12 or 17 year old Macallan and tap water. They also make the ice out of the same water. The water is free, sort of, add 15 or 18% automatic gratuity plus an extra few dollars to insure that you get a really good pour from the bartender for the second glass. :cool: Bill

Bill,

It was humor!!!!

Mike

If I cannot take bottled water on board does RCI offer a bottled water package?

If I am permitted 1 bottle of water to carry on would it matter the size? ;)

They do offer a bottled water package. It's evian and it runs between 2.95-3.55 per bottle

Read your contract CAREFULLY people are saying that in the new contracts it is specified that you can not bring ANY beverages on board.

I know others have commented on this, but since we were bantering about it, I have to say...I think this is NOT new and this clause if you will has always been there. Any of us can check old contracts if it meant that much! lol Plus imho, everyone is reading it the way they see fit.

BTW folks, I have to mention, altho many folks know this;

NYC WATER ROCKS! There is NOTHING like it, really. And, I mean that. NYC folks will tell you the same. It is delish. It cant be replaced; But.......................it can be bought!

http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2008/9/10/tapd-ny-new-york-bottled-water.html

tapd_main.jpg

And, to the folks who say that the water on board is fully desalinized (sp?), it is not. You are lucky that your feet have never swelled while on holiday and had to keep them up and drink gallons of (purchased) water to eliviate the pain and swelling. It is nothing to laugh about, ever, but especially while on board. Your shoes do not fit properly, your feet hurt and have to be elevated, come on folks, there are a bunch of folks that do experience this, I am one of them, and I am not alone. There is an older thread all about it. So, have some compassion when it comes to swollen feet.

I drink a fair amount of bottled water at home, especially in the summer. Most of the time I mix it with crystal light powder mixes. However there is a big difference in brands of water and that is what made it hard to vote in this poll.

To me Evian has a strange taste to it, and I will generally not drink it. However Aquafina and Desanti are purified water, where as other brands like Poland Spring and Deer Park are spring water. The purified stuff always has a bit off an off taste to it.

My city water is chlorinated. I grew up in a part of the city with private wells and grew up drinking that water. It tasted great but now my old neighborhood is in the process of being declared a cancer cell. However when I moved to a neighborhood with water mains, it took me quite a while to not smell the chlorine in the shower and feel like I was jumping in a pool instead of getting clean.

On our honeymoon years ago in Nova Scotia, most of the water I could get was desalinated, including the ice. I had previously stopped drinking soda, but started again on that trip ordering coke with no ice, to avoid the salt taste. Trust me, that cup of tea in the morning is not improved by salt, nor is that ice cold coke.

So I would buy bottled water on board, if it were spring water and if the price were reasonable. I only pay 89 cents for a Gallon at the super market but $1.50 in the variety store for about 3 pints. I can not see paying more than about $2 for a bottle of water, especially if it is small.

I do understand why they don';t bring bottled water on board, the drinking water they have is safe if a bit distasteful. Carrying enough bottled water for all those passengers would probably add significant cargo weight to the ship. Then we would use more fuel and there would probably be another surcharge for us to complain about.

I would really like to know the name of the person who is the manager of the STUPID DEPARTMENT... RCCL seems to want to alienate their once loyal cruisers... if we are not your bread and butter then please do away with CROWN AND ANCHOR. Think how much money you could save and employees you could lay off. I understand liquor.. there are a--holes who fall overboard since they think it a cruise is a non stop drinking party... but the constant nickel and diming is getting tiresome... dont advertise it as a bargain until you get that bill slipped under your door the last night! We are on a T/A in 2 months...There are many other choices out there and will have to see where we decide to spend our hard earned vacation money. :)

Archived