Suitcase weight

Annabella29

Hi,

We're leaving on the Miracle next Saturday (can't wait!). The Carnival website 'encourages' us to keep the weight of one suitcase under 50 lbs. Is that all it is, a suggestion? Mine might be a few pounds over (maybe 10) and I was wondering how strict they were for the excess. The suitcase is on wheels, so that's not a problem and we are not flying into New York, so airline restrictions are not an issue.

Thank you!

It may not be a problem for you while it's on wheels, but once you have to lift it into your car, that's where YOUR problem starts.

Then it becomes the luggage handlers problem. Surely, you don't think they will be rolling your luggage to your room.

They will have to lift it to a certain altitude on the luggage carts.

So, yes, it's a suggestion, but think about who had to lift it.

BTW... Is it REALLY 60 lbs.? That's a lot!

I'll probably end up taking more stuff out of the suitcase and into the carry-on, like books. I doubt it's close to 60, but I might be a few pounds over. On the way back, I should be well under 50 (the heavier stuff will go into my then-emptier carry-on, I will leave the books at the library...).

Thanks for reminding me about the porters!

I'll probably end up taking more stuff out of the suitcase and into the carry-on, like books. I doubt it's close to 60, but I might be a few pounds over. On the way back, I should be well under 50 (the heavier stuff will go into my then-emptier carry-on, I will leave the books at the library...).

Thanks for reminding me about the porters!

Quick rule about packing:

Lay out everything you plan to bring with you on a bed. Put half of it away. Bring the other half with you, and be surprised that you will have unused clothes at the end of your cruise.

Ever notice who handles the suitcases on the ship? It's the room stewards and most of them seem to have slim body types and are not exactly body builders.

My guess is that this is why Carnival makes the suggestion.

The clothes are not the problem, I have really cut down on that. I'm sure it's mostly books (and I never have too many of those), but I'll try to move them to the carry-on. I'll also re-evaluate the amount of sunscreen and after-sun lotion, but I'm always afraid I'll run out.:)

The clothes are not the problem, I have really cut down on that. I'm sure it's mostly books (and I never have too many of those), but I'll try to move them to the carry-on. I'll also re-evaluate the amount of sunscreen and after-sun lotion, but I'm always afraid I'll run out.:)

Bring paperbacks instead of hardbacks. And 3 books is probably 2 too many, if your'e doing other things.

Archived