One of the Reasons I Like LAX!

SelectSys

Trick for In-N-Out.....

There is a Parking Spot garage next to the In-N-Out. You can take their shuttle, then walk next door to get your burger and your spotting fix. Then, come on back the same way. Tip the driver and you will likely get no hassle.

If you have to pick some up or are hungry after landing, nothing beats a stop at the In N Out Burger on Sepulveda.

Saw this picture and thought it was one of the best spotter photos capturing "In N Out" that I have seen: http://www.airliners.net/photo/V-Australia/Boeing-777-3ZG-ER/1766021/L/

I Like LAX!

Hmm; never seen those words put together like that before.

I Like LAX!

Hmm; never seen those words put together like that before.

It really isn't that bad of an airport. You rarely get delayed due to the airport itself with 4 runways. It hardly ever closes due to weather. Great choice of service by many carriers. The parking near the terminals is good for pick up and drop off. My least favorite element of LAX is immigration at TBIT. It always seems to be a zoo.

Then you have the In-n-out for a quick snack after landing! All in all for a major US airport LAX isn't too bad. :)

maybe for O&D it's OK; but changing (terminals) is a nightmare. Exit; get on a bus, reclear security. And frankly the terminals I have used have made the local bus station look glamorous. It's one of the few airports I have on my "try to avoid" list. As a rule, I'd rather take a connection, that have to go through LAX (ie BUR/LGB-SEA-YVR is preferable to LAX-YVR)

The good news on those inter-terminal transfers is the relatively new shuttle between T3, T5 and the commuter terminal. With the increase in code-shares and cooperation between DL and AS, you can now go airside between those airlines without reclearing security.

In fact, utilizing the tunnels and buses, you can go from T3 to the other side of the airport (T4, T5, T6, T7, T8) without passing through security.

I've had to exit a terminal and reclear security when changing terminals at several airports. And, of course, virtually always when arriving on an international flight and switching to a domestic one. JFK is certainly no piece of cake when it comes to changing terminals. I'll have to give In-N-Out another try. I've been twice and was underwhelmed both times.

I, too, like LAX (except maybe Terminal 1).

Maybe it is because I took my first international flight out of there over 40 years ago (trip with Grandma to Germany). Maybe because it was the airport I flew out of regularly for more than 1/2 of my life. Maybe because it was the first time I got to fly first class (HNL to LAX in Spring 1971 when I was applying for law school-don't know what type of plane it was (or even the airline) but I was thoroughly impressed with the "lounge" in the front part of the plane-I think I spent almost the entire flight in the "lounge"-plenty soused when I got off the plane). Maybe because one of the most meaningful things I ever did with my life left from LAX-USO tour to Vietnam in 1970. Maybe because I can spend hours in TBIT just people watching.

Or maybe I like LAX for the same reason I like JFK-people going out to explore the world doing interesting things. Just has a "buzz" about it!!!

LAX has the well-deserved rating of the second worst airport in the US (EWR has the #1 spot). I have to agree, and am constantly apologizing for LA's horrid welcome to international visitors. Next time you're at LAX pretend you don't read or speak English and you will realize how bad the signage is. I've seen groups of tourists in Customs being shouted at by agents simply because they didn't understand his rapid-fire English.

Admittedly, In-n-Out is one of the nice features of the LAX area. Two clips from LA Times articles: "I dropped my daugher off at LAX. That is where LA residents go if they need to catch a flight. Someday, we will get a real airport". and from a different reporter, "I think LAX is the nation's best airport....if the nation is Mali" :)

Funny I should read your thread; am flying out of LAX tomorrow and had my limo driver stop at In & Out on my way to the Hilton Hotel.

Double Double animal style?? With a genuine milk shake to wash it down? For real artery-clogging, get your fries animal style as well.

Trick for In-N-Out.....

There is a Parking Spot garage next to the In-N-Out. You can take their shuttle, then walk next door to get your burger and your spotting fix. Then, come on back the same way. Tip the driver and you will likely get no hassle.

Good tip. Thanks.

Double Double animal style?? With a genuine milk shake to wash it down? For real artery-clogging, get your fries animal style as well.

Man up, bro. 3x3 with animal style fries.

I always head out to the In-N-Out on my LAX layovers, it's too easy not to. I have been known to fly to LAX (from the East Coast) for the sole/main purpose being to get In-N-Out and then fly back. Done that more than once...:o

Yep - 3x3 is good, but for most that's overkill. Or go with two double doubles to add more bread carbs to balance out the protein.

I always head out to the In-N-Out on my LAX layovers, it's too easy not to. I have been known to fly to LAX (from the East Coast) for the sole/main purpose being to get In-N-Out and then fly back. Done that more than once...:o

You probably are picking up some good FF miles along the way. Makes me want to route my next TPAC MR through LAX for the INO. (Unfortunately, INO is an exit down the freeway from SFO, so not convenient at all)

All of which drives home one big point.....if you look hard enough, you can find some kind of silver lining in most airports. Or you can just delude yourself that you found one....;)

Damn. Now I'm all hungry...

I lost my car at LAX. It was my first experience with the airport, necessitated by an emergency trip back home. I used the self-parking at the airport (I said it was an emergency trip...don't bash me! Plus I was young and inexperienced) at one of the terminals. My return flight landed at a different terminal but I didn't realize that. When I went out to find my car it was nowhere to be found and assumed it had been stolen. After about two hours of searching I finally clued into the fact that I was in the wrong garage. Found my car and went home.

Here's why I like LAX: the Alaska Boardroom is the former TWA Ambassador Club. They have left the black/white pictures of the movie stars on the walls. There's the Howard Hughes connection (his picture is still there) and it's a flash back to the glamor days of flying. I love that AS has retained some of the character of the past. So many scenes of the old movies were filmed in this terminal (T3) and it's still very recognizable.

Plus the In/Out burgers. ;)

If you have to pick some up or are hungry after landing, nothing beats a stop at the In N Out Burger on Sepulveda.

Saw this picture and thought it was one of the best spotter photos capturing "In N Out" that I have seen: http://www.airliners.net/photo/V-Australia/Boeing-777-3ZG-ER/1766021/L/

I like LAX too. We do loads of trips out of LAX and we usually stay in LA a couple of days before and after our trips. We usually stay at one of the LAX hotels -- where else can you get a four star hotel for $49 a night in LA?? (Priceline of course)

We always walk over to Sepulveda Blvd and watch planes land at the park across from the N Out burger (well they land on the runway). If you don't want a burger, head down Sepulveda to the Baja Fresh Mexican Grill for some up scale fast food. Panera Bread is across the street if you need a morning snack.

We are headed back to LAX in October.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

maybe for O&D it's OK; but changing (terminals) is a nightmare. Exit; get on a bus, reclear security. And frankly the terminals I have used have made the local bus station look glamorous. It's one of the few airports I have on my "try to avoid" list. As a rule, I'd rather take a connection, that have to go through LAX (ie BUR/LGB-SEA-YVR is preferable to LAX-YVR)

My post was written from the perspective of an O&D passenger or one that is connecting via the commuter terminal. LAX helps me avoid connections in the traditional hubs - DFW, ORD, DEN, ATL, ... - where I have been delayed much more frequently than at LAX.

I, too, like LAX (except maybe Terminal 1)... Maybe because I can spend hours in TBIT just people watching.

Agreed on TBIT. It really gives you a portal to the world - at least Asia anyways.

The good news on those inter-terminal transfers is the relatively new shuttle between T3, T5 and the commuter terminal. With the increase in code-shares and cooperation between DL and AS, you can now go airside between those airlines without reclearing security.

In fact, utilizing the tunnels and buses, you can go from T3 to the other side of the airport (T4, T5, T6, T7, T8) without passing through security.

Yep, the commuter terminal is also the bus transfer point for inter-terminal transfers. My use of LAX never requires leaving the secure zone except if I need to get on a commuter flight after clearing immigration and customs. This, while a bit of a hassle compared to some other US airports due to the terminal setup isn't enough to turn my like to dislike.

... Someday, we will get a real airport". and from a different reporter, "I think LAX is the nation's best airport....if the nation is Mali" :)

Don't hold your breath on that one. I doubt another airport will be built in Southern California.

Some of the local high school kids have 4x4 eating contests! My daughter tells me that some of the boys can eat multiple 4x4's.

I like LAX too. We do loads of trips out of LAX and we usually stay in LA a couple of days before and after our trips. We usually stay at one of the LAX hotels -- where else can you get a four star hotel for $49 a night in LA?? (Priceline of course)...

Glad you like LAX! If I have an early departure I will sometimes drive up the night before and stay at one of the hotels. You can get some pretty good deals.

Ok, 3x3. what is that? I know about the animal style and double, double. I don't think I could do three burgers on top of each other;. someone help me out here.

Add 1 more layer to a double-double and that's a 3x3. As mentioned they also have a "four-by-four". It's probably named that because if I ate one I'd end up laying in the dirt! :)

PS- You can also get a 4x4 Animal Style.

Archived