My Epic Cruise 8/21 - 8/28.. a few comments

kmurph22

I've commented on a couple of other reviews, I don't think a full blow by blow would be very useful, but wanted to add a few observations/tips/thoughts addressing various questions and concerns I've seen on this board in the past month or so:

1)The best time for the waterslides is on embarkation day.

2)Luggage delivery was VERY prompt, we had ours by 3pm.

3)Make reservations ahead of time for entertainment, if only to avoid having to stand in lines at the box office. That said, only Cirque and the Nick breakfast sold out early on our cruise.

4)For specialty restaurants, availability will show as "red" meaning there's a wait time for almost everything. However, in our experience, we were able to walk up and get tables without a reservation. The only exception to this may be Teppanyaki, where they do two specific 'seatings' and it appeared to be pretty full.

5)There is no teen smoothie coupon book. We asked in several places including bars, the teen club, and customer service.

6)The method for setting a limit on kids' spending stinks. They say they can't set a limit if the card is attached to a credit card. You can remove the card from the credit card list, but then you must put up a cash deposit. We did this, but they still allowed DD to exceed the cash deposit amount. Huh?

7)We appreciated the $25 laundry special. However, they should run it a day earlier, as it is you get your clothes back midday Friday and hardly need them at that point.

8)Definitely catch Wildfire duo in the atrium almost every evening. They are great performers. Loved their Beatles night. Also, Fat Cats is a blast.

9)They do NOT really enforce the curfew for teens. Make sure you know where your teen is and they know when you expect them back in the cabin.

10)We had no problem with service on the soda cards as some have complained.

11)The kids club wasn't really that exciting for the kids, but they did enjoy the "freeplay" portion. That said, there was plenty for them to do.

12)The bungee was NEVER open on our trip.

I'll post back if I think of anything else! All in all, an awesome family vacation!!!

Thanks for the updates, KMURPH!

Glad to hear you had a great time with your family!

I agree about the laundry comment and think they should give each cabin a bag for one-time use whenever they want to use it (or not).

We'll be travelling around Europe for a week before our cruise and would most likely love to use the laundry on the first day!

I used to laugh that on other cruises I have been on, they also give you the laundry special on the day before you leave. Why launder your clothes when they will get all messed up again in the luggage on the flight home??? I'll have to wash and dry again when I get home anyway! LOL

I..

11)The kids club wasn't really that exciting for the kids, but they did enjoy the "freeplay" portion. That said, there was plenty for them to do.

Kids Club experience varies widely, but especially by age. What age were your kids - this is important for others.

Kids Club experience varies widely, but especially by age. What age were your kids - this is important for others.

My boys (ages 10 & 12) didn't spend much time at the Recess club either. There are video games there (PlayStation, Wii), however, kids could only play them during "Freeplay" which is a specific time & for one hour. Usually, freeplay was available 2 or 3 times a day but sometimes it didn't work out with our schedule. That was the only portion of Recess they were interested in. I think they only went to Recess twice.

Also not strictly enforced is ADULTS ONLY meaning ADULTS ONLY!. In Spice H2O, there were many kids (during Fabba and esp. at the Newlywed Game).

I have never been on any NCL cruise where any adult area is enforced. I think NCL lets the parents be the enforcer of these rules.

I have heard this is the same on other lines too.

Great observations and recommendations. I might also add that the best day to see BMG is the first night. Plenty of seats, and we had no problem getting seats in the second row in front without arriving real early.

Similar experiences to us. We dealt with a couple of your concerns through strict policy. When the teen club closed at 1am (curfew), I expected my teens to come back to the room unless prior arrangements are made. This worked well. I agree, if you go on the deck at 2am you'll still see teens loitering all over. Where's the parenting? The other is the spending on the card. I told my kids they could spend $10 per day. That's it. We monitored it daily. The only problem we had is when some little felon stole my son's card and ran up hundreds of $ in video games. Hope they caught the little bastard.

12)The bungee was NEVER open on our trip.

Technically factually untrue, though I'll certainly grant that it was never open any time your group went up there. I saw people on the bungee (and a line!) on Sunday afternoon 8/22, though I can't swear as to the exact time.

This is really one of those "different people have different experiences on the same cruise" sort of things, though. I admittedly only went up to the sports deck the one time (the basketball courts were full, and I'm too big for the spider web--I really wanted some volleyball, but no dice), so I have no idea what was or wasn't open up there the rest of the cruise.

my kids were ages 9 and 12. My teen (14) had a great time.

I would be interested to hear how you managed your 14 year old in the teen club. Boy or girl? This will be my daughters first time in teen club and not sure I'm comfortable with her roaming around the ship till 1am.

I would be interested to hear how you managed your 14 year old in the teen club. Boy or girl? This will be my daughters first time in teen club and not sure I'm comfortable with her roaming around the ship till 1am.

I know you didn't ask me, Kathy, but my 13 and 15 year olds were given a lot of freedom. First rule was don't be late for an appointed time, dinner or check-in, otherwise they would end up with mom and dad the rest of the trip. Another rule was to always be courteous and stay out of trouble. If I got any reports of anything other than behaving like complete gentlemen, they'd end up with mom and dad the rest of the trip. If I find them in any adult areas. Trouble. Same if they went over their $10 budget. I'm sure you see the trend. After a couple of missed check-ins the first day and some "grounding" they got the hint. It also helped that they were selling watches for $10 on the ship and it was easy/cheap to make sure my kids always knew what time it was.

I think it was as great opportunity to give my young adults some freedoms to help them practice being responsible. It worked out well.

4)For specialty restaurants, availability will show as "red" meaning there's a wait time for almost everything. However, in our experience, we were able to walk up and get tables without a reservation. The only exception to this may be Teppanyaki, where they do two specific 'seatings' and it appeared to be pretty full.

Thanks so much for your review.

I'm confused as to what #4 means. It shows up as red where?

Not been on the Epic yet but all NCL ships include screens around the ship showing restaurant status and whether they have space. Green = plenty of space, Amber = filling up fast and red = full. As the OP suggests they are not always accurate.

Not been on the Epic yet but all NCL ships include screens around the ship showing restaurant status and whether they have space. Green = plenty of space' date=' Amber = filling up fast and red = full. As the OP suggests they are not always accurate.[/quote']

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification. It's been years since I've cruised with NCL and was wondering. Thanks :)

I know you didn't ask me, Kathy, but my 13 and 15 year olds were given a lot of freedom. First rule was don't be late for an appointed time, dinner or check-in, otherwise they would end up with mom and dad the rest of the trip. Another rule was to always be courteous and stay out of trouble. If I got any reports of anything other than behaving like complete gentlemen, they'd end up with mom and dad the rest of the trip. If I find them in any adult areas. Trouble. Same if they went over their $10 budget. I'm sure you see the trend. After a couple of missed check-ins the first day and some "grounding" they got the hint. It also helped that they were selling watches for $10 on the ship and it was easy/cheap to make sure my kids always knew what time it was.

I think it was as great opportunity to give my young adults some freedoms to help them practice being responsible. It worked out well.

Thanks sdmike I have read your reviews and saw that you let your 13 year old out to 1am. Just not sure about that being a girl and no brother and sister to hang with. I hoping she will meet some girls her age but being out of your school holidays then there might not be as many teens on the ship. I will be using a lot of your tips don't you worry. I've just got to start letting her have a bit more freedom but you just never know who's on these ships. She's a good kid and wouldn't get into any trouble I'm just a worry wart!

kmurph22,

Interesting observations. Glad you had such a good time.

Don't have kids but some other review did specifically mention buying the teen smoothie passport. Could this have changed?

Also regarding #4, the maitre d' at teppanyaki told me the night I went (a couple of wks ago) that they schedule a new station every 15 mins. Years ago NCL used to adhere to a strict 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30 seating schedule but it's now pretty much available anytime on a rolling basis. For example, I went with a 7 pm seating, another 2 stations in the room got filled at 7:15 and the 4th one was 7:30.

Maybe the night you were there they only had 2 seatings? With 12 stations, they have a lot of flexibility on Epic.

Took me awhile to realize one can also call the box office when it is open rather than going down and standing in line. However, I was happy to have made my rsvns online in advance as Cirque was gone on embarkation day both weeks I was on.

Did you go to the Meet & Greet?

Hi Mitsu,

there are restaurant availability screens all over the ship, by the elevators and outside the restaurants. They show little "dots" for each restaurant... Green is for no wait, Yellow is for "filling up fast", and red meant they were pretty much booked.

hope that helps.

Thanks sdmike I have read your reviews and saw that you let your 13 year old out to 1am. Just not sure about that being a girl and no brother and sister to hang with. I hoping she will meet some girls her age but being out of your school holidays then there might not be as many teens on the ship. I will be using a lot of your tips don't you worry. I've just got to start letting her have a bit more freedom but you just never know who's on these ships. She's a good kid and wouldn't get into any trouble I'm just a worry wart!

I agree 100%! My 13 year old is a strapping young man (now taller than my wife), and I'd feel very different about having my little girl out and about at 1am by herself. Also, my son was generally with his brother or cousin most of the time. It's almost apples to oranges. My bad in suggesting that it was the same situation. It is, however, a good opportunity to give her some more freedom in a somewhat controlled environment. I'm sure you'll find where that makes sense and where it doesn't. :)

Hi Kathy,

I am Kathy too btw!

My 14 year old is a boy. Just like Mike, we made sure that he understood his limits i.e. come to the room at curfew time, meet us here or there at the appointed time, and don't overspend. He didn't overspend because we told him we would give him $$ at the end of the trip for whatever he spent below his limit, which was $20 per day! As far as safety, I made sure to "run into him" at various times and places around the trip. (I'm sure he was mortified, but oh well). On the first night, he found a group of kids his age. I began to recognize them around the ship and determined that I was comfortable with them and their families. He was in the room by 1:15 every night until Thursday night, which he pushed it a little at 1:30. I was just about to go out looking for him when I saw him coming down the hallway. He said they were walking around and lost track of time, easy to do because there are very few clocks on the ship! I told him he lost his $20 limit for the next day.

Just be aware that your teen is very unlikely to stay in the Entourage area. They get "bored" there pretty quickly. My teen enjoyed some of the teen events at h2O and Bliss, but after those events ended he would wander with his friends. If you walk around the ship between 12 - 2 am, you will see groups of teens everywhere.

I guess the only way to get comfortable with this is to 1)know your teen; 2)enforce your rules; 3)try to get comfortable with the kids he/she is hanging out with; and 4)make sure your teen knows never to walk around the ship alone, except to come directly to the room.

As parents of teens we have many more years of late night worrying ahead, I am sure!

Technically factually untrue, though I'll certainly grant that it was never open any time your group went up there. I saw people on the bungee (and a line!) on Sunday afternoon 8/22, though I can't swear as to the exact time.

This is really one of those "different people have different experiences on the same cruise" sort of things, though. I admittedly only went up to the sports deck the one time (the basketball courts were full, and I'm too big for the spider web--I really wanted some volleyball, but no dice), so I have no idea what was or wasn't open up there the rest of the cruise.

We must have missed it, my bad! Glad to hear at least someone got to use it.

Hi Kathy,

I am Kathy too btw!

My 14 year old is a boy. Just like Mike, we made sure that he understood his limits i.e. come to the room at curfew time, meet us here or there at the appointed time, and don't overspend. He didn't overspend because we told him we would give him $$ at the end of the trip for whatever he spent below his limit, which was $20 per day! As far as safety, I made sure to "run into him" at various times and places around the trip. (I'm sure he was mortified, but oh well). On the first night, he found a group of kids his age. I began to recognize them around the ship and determined that I was comfortable with them and their families. He was in the room by 1:15 every night until Thursday night, which he pushed it a little at 1:30. I was just about to go out looking for him when I saw him coming down the hallway. He said they were walking around and lost track of time, easy to do because there are very few clocks on the ship! I told him he lost his $20 limit for the next day.

Just be aware that your teen is very unlikely to stay in the Entourage area. They get "bored" there pretty quickly. My teen enjoyed some of the teen events at h2O and Bliss, but after those events ended he would wander with his friends. If you walk around the ship between 12 - 2 am, you will see groups of teens everywhere.

I guess the only way to get comfortable with this is to 1)know your teen; 2)enforce your rules; 3)try to get comfortable with the kids he/she is hanging out with; and 4)make sure your teen knows never to walk around the ship alone, except to come directly to the room.

As parents of teens we have many more years of late night worrying ahead, I am sure!

thanks both for your comments. I thought that would be the case that they wouldn't spend much time in the Club so much more fun to explore the ship on their own. Hopefully she will find some nice girls her age to hang out with. I will have enlist my roll call of 120 or so people to be spies for me and chase away any unwanted boys!!

:)

We've on NCL twice before, on both the Dawn and the Jewel. After this ship not sure how a smaller ship would feel.

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale the day of the our trip. We pre-arranged SAS to pick us up. They were there within 5 minutes and picked the 2 of us up and 5 other people. Our driver headed to a gas station where we picked up some 2-liters of soda then headed for the port of Miami. Ride took about 15 minutes. They charge $15 pp. Great start.

We arrived at terminal B about 11am, flew through customs, and headed up to the holding area. This was very unorganized. There were 2 guys trying to seat people as they entered. On of the guys was new and people seemed to be sitting anywhere. From past cruises I do understand that they try to seat people in the order they arrive, so they will board the ship first. People could not seem to stay seated for 5 minutes. One gentlemen ( I believe from his size and stature must have been a retired pro athlete- can not tell you who it was) Tried to get his party of around 20 people on early. They all stood and walked up to an employee. I was so grateful they did not allow them on first, and told them to sit back down. Score one for us ordinary people.

We entered thru terminal B which is by the front of the ship. Then headed to the great Outdoors for lunch. We had taking our bathing suits and were able to find lounge chairs and use the water slides with no problems. ( this was the case all week.) The pools are small, Lots of lounge chairs but still never a problem finding a place to cool off. Must say this now we changed into our bathing suits in the bathrooms by the towel exchange area. Public bathrooms on this ship are very nice.

At 2pm we headed to our room 13044 Family balcony,the bed was near the balcony, we wanted the extra room even though there were only 2 of us. We were very happy with the room. No problem with the room all week. We were glad our balcony extended outward the ship as you can see onto the balconies that are recessed. The shower/tub area was very large, sink was okay no problems with splashing, the toilet was small and flushed loud but we dealt fine. Muster drill was at 3-3:30 trouble finding it area but not too bad.

The rest of this review Im going too shorten with tips both good and bad. Hope you all have a good time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you are going to tip extra*** do this early in the cruise, don't wait for the last day. It will get you that little extra, even if its just them knowing your name.

Vivian- our room steward new our names and also got us 1 lounge chair for our balcony, and also emptied our refrigerator, the 1st day, and stuck her own key card in the door slot to keep our room cool.

Paul Ivan - This guy was excellent as far as getting our drinks. He also had our name down very early. We told him not to bring us souvenaire cups ( they charge extra , knew what we wanted ( Mudslides -yum)., He also brought us ice-water without asking when we didnt want an alcoholic beverage. Its amazing what a small tip can get you. We from that point always looked for him, and he always seemed to find us as well. We saw him several times by the pool and in the Epic Theater.

--------------------------------------------------------------

DEfinately- pre-book diner or shows in advance

We only booked one or the other each evening

Sat- Ice bar- Must do Lots of fun only in there 30 mins not because of cold but because of 2 small drinks. After the drinks were gone no reasons to stay.

Sun- Moderno- If doing a specialty restaurant, do this Meat are excellent, come hungry, better than Cagneys also cheaper, Only other pay restaurant for the experience would be tappenyaki.

Monday- Blue Man - Same as Vegas Show- good, glad there was now fee, but still enjoyed

Tuesday- Legends - Also good Tina, Madonna, Elvis

Wednesday- LaCucina- Just okay quieter area food was okay $10 pp

Thursday- Second City- We saw the watered down 7 pm show still good .

- Jeff Hobson- ( comedian- magician) Best show on the ship. No pre-booking required, But show did fill up.

Friday we had booked Moderno- but cancelled due to not being able to stuff ourselves anymore

We did not see Cirque

Other great talent on board were Howl and the moon( dueling piano), David Conley ( guitar man)

We also saw Slam Allen, and Wildfire duo

The ship never seemed crowded until maybe last sea day by the pool

Never get a drink in a souvenaire cup- will save you a good amount of $

Amount of kids was moderate ( some kids are back in school, NY NJ Canada were still all out of school so most of kids were from the north. Travel during school times for less kids.

Parents are responsible for kids. Probably my #1 complaint were kids jumping in the crowded pool - just dangerous. Also a funny side note 3 different times on the cruise we heard girls say that kids recess felt like prison. Ughh probably nothing worse for a kid to be stuck inside a room when there is so much more to do.

Spice H20- If read lots of complaints. But i believe its picking up, white party( kids are allowed until midnight- should be 11P) , also Fabba was okay. We did not use the pool there. In that we like the excitement of poeple watching.

Never had a problem with slides, or lounge chairs

Green slide is best, Plunge - got stuck both times i tried it. Just watch to see when line are short

Never felt really crowded, actually like the smaller venues. The only one that didnt seem to work for me was fat cats. Felt empty, no ba,r the bar staff has to walk to a back room to get your orders.

Again tip early- not late

Do not under-estimate Taste- ( free dining room)

Ive read reviews that the menu doesnt change much. But the food there is excellent. Also about as quick as buffet, without the panic of people diving for a table, orthe toaster, or the last burger.( trust me they have more)

Buffet best part is Hard ice cream Bar

Ice bar try it.

Atrium- they show movies at 11:15p we watched Star trek, and Mamma Mia, the also showed Hitch and the princess and the frog.

I know this is long Just a few more comment

Silas is the Cruise director - we enjoyed his presence

We didnt enjoy the reception service desk we had 2 questions and both time sorta felt like they were bothering them- once room key got stuck in the shore excursion kiosk, second time we were under the impression our deluxe family balcony was supposed to have a pull down bed( it didnt and we were just making sure we were in the category cabin we paid for.)

Excursions

Costa Maya- Just hung out all day in the swim up pool bar area (its free) and drank - we purchased a $10 TEQUILA bottle at local shop and added it to our fruity drinks to give it a little more.

Roatan- walked to Victor Boden kiosk off ship and for $25 each drove us to a West End Beach and back, $15 more for snorkel( once we got there), extra for lunch. Still cheaper than NCL.

Cozemel- Originally booked Tulum but 1hr 45 mins each way we switch it to atv / beach best decision and most fun part of trip $99 each thru ncl it rained in the morning so the trails were muddy( this is what made it fun) beach part was a quick after thought but wont ever forget the ATV's

The overall best part about the ship is the entertainment. With that said I believe the entertain is only on the ship for 4 weeks at a time so the entertainer may change. Howl at the moon guys were leaving, Davis Conley was leaving, possible Jeff Hobson, and some of the Legends performers were leaving. So i hoping the entertainment is just as good.

I sure is missed a bunch of things. Please ask questions?

Finally pardon any typo's Have fun Cruising

I did here one couple say they enjoyed the Oasis more but also paid more. Also between the 2 of us we spent about $1000 extra with our service charges and dinners. Overall great time, and again will have trouble with smaller ships.

Archived