MDR Attire on First Night

Jugador30

Going on first cruise in two weeks. Beginning to do the clothes inventory and start packing. I could have been crazy, but I thought I read somewhere on here that on the first night in the MDR, there was no dress code, you could wear what you wore on the boat? Is that true?

Yes it's true that you can mostly wear what ever you boarded the ship in. Except no cut off jeans for anyone or sleeveless shirts for men.

I usually just wear capri's and a cruise critic tee shirt.

There is no dress code as in a lot cases suitcases have not arrived yet. As long as you are not in bathing suits (coverup with a sundress), muscles shirts (throw a regulard Tshirt in to carryon if that is all he wears) and you should be fine.

Going on first cruise in two weeks. Beginning to do the clothes inventory and start packing. I could have been crazy, but I thought I read somewhere on here that on the first night in the MDR, there was no dress code, you could wear what you wore on the boat? Is that true?

The dress code for the first night is the same as it is for all other nights, except elegant nights. Shorts are OK, Sandals are OK, etc.

First and last nights just about anything goes. Even when shorts weren't "allowed", they were allowed on the first and last nights. In one case you might not have received your luggage and/or had time to unpack, and on the last night some people have actually packed everything except what they are wearing.

Shorts? Well sorta. The say it must be long dress shorts. That's not short shorts.

Maybe they should say so many inches above the knee are allowed. I've yet to find the long dress shorts in the WalMart men's section.

Last month on Pride our luggage didn't arrive before dinner. First time that happened in 12 cruises. Usually I put a change of clothes in a carry-on, but this time I didn't. I hemmed and hawed about going to dinner in shorts (even when they're allowed, I don't wear shorts in the dining room), but the thought of creme brulee for dessert won out over wardrobe.;)

Shorts? Well sorta. The say it must be long dress shorts. That's not short shorts.

Maybe they should say so many inches above the knee are allowed. I've yet to find the long dress shorts in the WalMart men's section.

Baloney. Carnival discourages gym shorts and jean cut-offs. You are free to wear your hot pants. They are allowed, no ifs, ands, or butts. :p

So many inches above the knees? No problem. Just pull them down until they meet regulation. :D

It's the Fun Ship; not the military.

Baloney. Carnival discourages gym shorts and jean cut-offs. You are free to wear your hot pants. They are allowed, no ifs, ands, or butts. :p

So many inches above the knees? No problem. Just pull them down until they meet regulation. :D

It's the Fun Ship; not the military.

Too funny!:)

I don't write the rules but I know how to read them. Check out the dress code on the Carnival website for men under the Cruise casual dining dress code. It very plainly without hesitation says "dress shorts(long)" are allowed. Even for the ladies it says dress shorts. I didn't see "hot pants" listed.

Okay I've made it easy for you. Copied direct from "what to wear" on Carnvial.com

"Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats."

While there may be some "wiggle" room for what you think shorts are if they pass or not for "long" dress style, I read just plain old shorts are NOT allowed. And this is on Casual nights. On the Elegant night not even the dress shorts(long) are allowed. These are not suggestions. Words like "Not permitted" and "no" sound more like demands then suggestions. In fact Carnival says these are the "requirements"

So many here just fail to read and/or understand the above.

Now tell me what you read into that. Maybe I have a poor interpetation of the English language.

I always wear Dockers slacks/Tommy polo shirt on casual nights but was wondering, could I get by with NEW Docker cargo shorts with Sperry top-siders (no socks)? This time of year I would like to get away from long pants/jeans on casual nights.

Thanks!

* I know what Carnival says but this will be our first 'hottest time of the year' cruise and don't want to under dress....

I always wear Dockers slacks/Tommy polo shirt on casual nights but was wondering, could I get by with NEW Docker cargo shorts with Sperry top-siders (no socks)? This time of year I would like to get away from long pants/jeans on casual nights.

Thanks!

* I know what Carnival says but this will be our first 'hottest time of the year' cruise and don't want to under dress....

It isn't a matter of getting away with anything. It is allowed.

You need to drive to Charlotte or Greensboro, the Walmarts in both towns are full of appropriate length shorts for men to wear in the MDR. Long shorts means those that stop 3 or 4 inches above the knee.

Somehow the word "Cargo" and "Dress" just don't match. Bermuda shorts would be the right long length. Depending on your leg/thigh length 3 or 4 inches above the knee could be considered "hot pants". Oh my!

Personally I would like to see them only allow "hot pants" for all women under the age of 40 but I don't write the rules for Carnival.

Archived