Food Options on Embarkation Day

Nanatochase

We will soon be sailing on the Emerald and I'm wondering what are the food options that are available on the day we board the ship (for lunch). I know the Buffet and Pizza are available, but wondering if the dining room is open.

The MDR should be open for lunch but for limited hours. Check your Patter once aboard, but in my experience, it's usually open from about 12pm - 1:30pm.

We will soon be sailing on the Emerald and I'm wondering what are the food options that are available on the day we board the ship (for lunch). I know the Buffet and Pizza are available, but wondering if the dining room is open.

Just sailed on the Emerald last month.

Yes one of the anytime DR's in the atrium deck 5 or 6 will be open.

Nice and relaxing and the Salmon is to die for.

The Patter does not always list that one of the dining rooms is open. Just go down there if you're on board before 1:00. When we sailed on the Emerald in November, the woman at the door tried to steer us toward the buffet. We persevered and managed to make it past her to have lunch in the dining room. Two other couples made it in.

The embarkation day lunch is one of my favorite things about coming back to Princess, both for the food on the menu (the salmon and the orange souffle) and to avoid the crush of people in the Horizon Court. It's a shame they don't make it more welcoming on some ships.

....and be prepared to be told that the dining room is closed. For some reason, even though Princess makes it clear that lunch is served (usually 12-1), the staff will be at the door telling you to go to the buffet. Just stand your ground and explain that you know it is open. Now if you get there at 1:05, it will ineed be closed.

The embarkation day lunch is one of my favorite things about coming back to Princess, both for the food on the menu (the salmon and the orange souffle) and to avoid the crush of people in the Horizon Court. It's a shame they don't make it more welcoming on some ships.

That orange souffle is so good! What a wonderful way to start a cruise!

Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping to avoid those buffet crowds and to enjoy a nice lunch. Sure hope I don't have to "get bossy" at the dining room in the first couple hours on the ship. I can't wait. We've never cruised Princess, just the other lines, so we are excited.

Just as an FYI, occasionally you have to be emphatic about your wish to dine in the MDR on embarkation day. They may try to route you up to the Lido, but stand firm and insist on being seated. They will acquiesce.

Since there is no way of knowing where the MDR is--just open a couple of doors--you'll find it--forget the Horizon Court--and the folks in the running the elevators will whip you up to the Horizon Court--same thing with passenger services.

We've been eating in the MDR for years before permission was granted--

Nanxy:D

Just as an FYI, occasionally you have to be emphatic about your wish to dine in the MDR on embarkation day. They may try to route you up to the Lido, but stand firm and insist on being seated. They will acquiesce.

On our Ruby TA this past spring DH asked a staff member which dining room was open. She told him where the Horizon Ct. is located. He then asked her again which dining room was open, emphasizing the words "dining room", and she told us which one was open. We had a wonderful lunch. I think now that they have the Bon Voyage experience the dining room is busier. On our 2009 Ruby TA there were only about 4 or 5 tables occupied, but this year it was quite busy.

I wonder why they have a dinning room open for lunch but the workers will try to make u go to the buffet? I've never ate in the dinnign room for lunch on embarkation day, it would be nice to try. How do i know what dinning room is open and where does princess say it's open if it's not in the patters?

Thanks,

David

It is a much more relaxed experience to enjoy embarkation day with lunch in the dining room. We have always scoped it out on our own and not listened to the staff who steer you to the Lido deck. They are probably instructed to send everyone to deck 14, but be persistent and check it out. They may not tell you which dining room is open, but if you go to deck 5 or 6 midship, you will find it. I've never had them turn us away at the door. We've seen it open until 1:30 on many ships, but be there before 1:00 for safety. And yes, the souffle is wonderful. Enjoy!

Archived