HELP! Booked under wrong state;they want to charge me more

I started reading this earlier today and have a question - she said her friend just booked earlier this week - maybe I'm wrong ( has happened more than once) but wouldn't she have had to pay for being single anyway? So that would have cost more money!

Cruising tends to be addicting, so if they can get people from more geographic locations by offering them a killer rate, many of them will likely be back later at higher prices.

yea this is kinda ironic because Im from Georgia, I got a killer resident rate for an SOV back in May and the Monarch hooked me on Royal Caribbean :D I figure the ships only get better from here! :p and I will certainly be back!

their plan worked at least with me ;)

RCI has thousands of bookings. Each one is ran through reports. It takes time to get these emails/calls out to everyone. They didn't "know" about it, you just provided the information. Then, your booking number showed up on a report an as the report was worked, you got an email.

This is your error, unfortunately, not RCI's. You booked that pricing and you should have verified you qualified for it.

Yes she made a mistake, but the computer should have caught it right away and mailed an email at the same time...just like when you order from a catalog and the confirmation goes right to your email.

In general disagreement with posters here, I think the poster's error should have been caught by the computer when she entered her address and that RCCL should have offered a complete refund if the cruise line was unwilling to let her cruise at the rate she booked. Further, were i she, i would protest the charge with my credit card company on exactly those grounds.

If, as a poster here related, the cruise line demanded $500 more from me at check in, I would be irate. Stuck in that poster's position, i might pay it-- but I would never book that line again! I am shocked that the poster would.

DH is a travel agent and trust me - the agent is responsible for mistakes like this. That is how agents learn to double and triple check things when they book because mistakes are very expensive.

Unfortunately travel agents are also human and also make mistakes too. If an agent had made the mistake, he/she might have stepped up and paid the difference. Or maybe the agent would have resisted losing that much money. The OP made this error, admits it was her error, and is making amends to her friend. stand up guy/gal. too bad he or she doesn't have a friend with a GA DL. we will never know what a hypothetical travel agent would have done.

In general disagreement with posters here, I think the poster's error should have been caught by the computer when she entered her address and that RCCL should have offered a complete refund if the cruise line was unwilling to let her cruise at the rate she booked. Further, were i she, i would protest the charge with my credit card company on exactly those grounds.

If, as a poster here related, the cruise line demanded $500 more from me at check in, I would be irate. Stuck in that poster's position, i might pay it-- but I would never book that line again! I am shocked that the poster would.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but she chose the wrong state. She even admitted here, as you must not have seen that in one of her first posts. On what grounds can she protest??? What did RCI do wrong? She said she was going to have to pay $400 more in order to cruise...where did $500 come from? Why does RCI owe her anything? I am confused on your analogy here.

Many people have 2 residences and use their main residence as their home address but have ID's to prove they also have residence elsewhere. We live in MA but my husband has FL license and only spends 4 or 5 weeks a year there. So, I don't think RC should have bounced this reservation out. :(

Many people have 2 residences and use their main residence as their home address but have ID's to prove they also have residence elsewhere. We live in MA but my husband has FL license and only spends 4 or 5 weeks a year there. So, I don't think RC should have bounced this reservation out. :(

Unfortunately, this was not the OP's case. If the OP had actually had been able to prove a residency in FL (like your husband can) then the OP could have presented that proof at the pier and not paid anything.

As a travel agent if I would have been the one that made this mistake I would have paid the difference for the client. We are paid to take care of our clients and if we screw up doing so, we are the ones that should accept the responsibility and fork over. Any reputable agent would do the same.

Unfortunately travel agents are also human and also make mistakes too. .

I read in another section of this forum where a TA booked a senior rate for a couple in their 30s and told the folks dont worry about it. They had a problem boarding.

The senior rate is the only one I have heard of having to prove when you board, but your state is also on your documents, so they can easily check. Iv even seen posts from cruisers who asked about getting a ID card in Florida to qualify for Fl rates, because FL has more discounts.

OP, imo, either you or the person who booked you owes the extra money.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but she chose the wrong state. She even admitted here, as you must not have seen that in one of her first posts. On what grounds can she protest??? What did RCI do wrong? She said she was going to have to pay $400 more in order to cruise...where did $500 come from? Why does RCI owe her anything? I am confused on your analogy here.

The $500 refers to the story related in post number 42.

As to the original poster, yes, she inadvertantly clicked the state right below Florida, which turned out to be Georgia. I am sure we have all clicked the wrong selection on those drop down menus more than once. However, the computer should have noted the discrepancy in the address entered as "home address' and the state selected and at the very least, made her reconfirm the selection. This would be an easy fix to what is apparently a pretty common error. Further, the company admitted to being aware of the problem for a week before notifying her, just days prior to departure. The cruise line should have eaten the difference and fixed the website to prevent this happening again. Not quite as good, but still acceptable, would have been to offer her the choice of refund or paying the 'correct" fare.

What they have done instead is punish the op for using a technology that is FAR cheaper for the cruise line-- the error could not have happenned if the op had chosen to book by phone (which costs the line much more to operate per transaction than the web site). It comes across as a 'gotcha' fee from the cruiseline. I also suspect that this only a 'one way' payment for error-- if, for example the op had been from Georgia, but had inadvertantly clicked Florida-- Do you think the cruiseline would be volunteering to give back the difference in rates?

I was the post #42.......first of all, I took my ta's word that RCL made the mistake and not her......she refunded the money (not sure if it came out of her pocket or not or Rcl's...didn't matter as it wasn't my error to absorb)....

And I totally see how someone would put Missouri in a MI as it is done on a daily basis.......almost every mail order I do they want to put MI...sooo I don't even tell anyone anymore Missouri, I just say MO.....it's just easier. Love the systems that just ask for zip code and it fills it in.

Because I am in business selling things......I know people make mistakes....whether RCL or the TA made the error...HUMANS MAKE ERRORS....I tend to give second chances...thank GOD or I would not have made all the fabulous friends on RCL that I have made cruising since then....

The only soreness that gave me was that it started our cruise off on a very very sour note and dampened the mood in general ....but I wasn't about to not pay the $500 and not go losing quite a bit more.....and YES I argued...vehemently....and lost....

I'm sorry that the OP didn't do the cruise but obviously they had reasons not to....maybe some we all don't know......

jul

Weird thing happened to me. I booked the Monarch (been on her 5 times this year already) in Feburary for $209 per person OV. Little did I know that I had clicked on Georgia instead of Florida. Some states were having a special. Georgia is right below Florida on the drop down menu.

I received an email on September 1st telling me of this problem. I didn't open my email until today. I called and they said they knew of the problem when I checked in on line last week, but just got around to telling me on September 1st. The worst part is I got someone to go with me and they booked and paid on August 31st. Since the manifest is done, they can't do anything about it.

So, RCCI would rather two people not go and spend money, just take their base fare???????

Has this happened to anyone else? I thought about showing up and if they tried to get me to pay the higher rate, then just walk out.

Can't someone at boarding wave the extra charge?

Terri

You made the mistake and now you want the cruise line to pay for it. If the cruise line makes a mistake, will you pay for it?

What confuses me about this thread is this that the OP said:

"The worst part is I got someone to go with me and they booked and paid on August 31st. Since the manifest is done, they can't do anything about it. "

How did the second person book? They would have had to indicate their state when booking - how could someone ELSE make the same mistake when booking the second person into the cabin on Aug. 31?

I also don't understand why OP did not catch her mistake right away on her copy of the confirmation, since the confirmations do state when their is a residency requirement on the confirmation.

Is the OP currently on the cruise, as her sig. says the cruise was yesterday?

Weird thing happened to me. I booked the Monarch (been on her 5 times this year already) in Feburary for $209 per person OV. Little did I know that I had clicked on Georgia instead of Florida. Some states were having a special. Georgia is right below Florida on the drop down menu.

I received an email on September 1st telling me of this problem. I didn't open my email until today. I called and they said they knew of the problem when I checked in on line last week, but just got around to telling me on September 1st. The worst part is I got someone to go with me and they booked and paid on August 31st. Since the manifest is done, they can't do anything about it.

So, RCCI would rather two people not go and spend money, just take their base fare???????

Has this happened to anyone else? I thought about showing up and if they tried to get me to pay the higher rate, then just walk out.

Can't someone at boarding wave the extra charge?

Terri

:cool:Sorry for your problem, but it was your mistake. Remember the old Joe Cocker song? CRY ME A RIVER:cool:

You made the mistake and now you want the cruise line to pay for it. If the cruise line makes a mistake, will you pay for it?

I think the point here was that the OP should not have been capable of making the mistake. There is no reason that you should be able to book under a different state when you have to put in your home address with a zip code. Computer programming 101 if-then statement.... if GA is not equal to whatever zip code she put in then she can not make the reservation. Problem solved. You would think everyone on here was perfect the way people get blasted for posting.

As to the original poster, yes, she inadvertantly clicked the state right below Florida, which turned out to be Georgia. I am sure we have all clicked the wrong selection on those drop down menus more than once. However, the computer should have noted the discrepancy in the address entered as "home address' and the state selected and at the very least, made her reconfirm the selection. This would be an easy fix to what is apparently a pretty common error. Further, the company admitted to being aware of the problem for a week before notifying her, just days prior to departure. The cruise line should have eaten the difference and fixed the website to prevent this happening again. Not quite as good, but still acceptable, would have been to offer her the choice of refund or paying the 'correct" fare.

What they have done instead is punish the op for using a technology that is FAR cheaper for the cruise line-- the error could not have happenned if the op had chosen to book by phone (which costs the line much more to operate per transaction than the web site). It comes across as a 'gotcha' fee from the cruiseline. I also suspect that this only a 'one way' payment for error-- if, for example the op had been from Georgia, but had inadvertantly clicked Florida-- Do you think the cruiseline would be volunteering to give back the difference in rates?

Gotcha fee? No, it's simple. YOU are responsible for making sure that the information YOU input is accurate. The system sends you electronic documents shortly after you book which clearly state the promo restrictions. This isn't a case of the system screwing up and displaying the wrong fare then you get to the terminal and they go "yeah, that pricing was incorrect". This is where the user put in the wrong data and the system gave the correct pricing for THAT data. RCCL did nothing wrong.

I think the point here was that the OP should not have been capable of making the mistake. There is no reason that you should be able to book under a different state when you have to put in your home address with a zip code. Computer programming 101 if-then statement.... if GA is not equal to whatever zip code she put in then she can not make the reservation. Problem solved. You would think everyone on here was perfect the way people get blasted for posting.

Ok, working as a programmer, there's a problem here. As others have pointed out, while their home address may be in one state, they may be a resident of another. Rules that restrict accurate data are much worse than dealing with user error. Personal responsibility has to come into play. You try to make something foolproof and someone will come up with a better fool. Fact of life, especially in programming.

You are wrong.

Many people on here, especially snow birds et al have two addresses and the current address where stuff is to be mailed might not be the address that qualifies for the discount. So the system is not set to reject the rate just because the zips don't match.

Customer Service 101.

Sorry, I forgot. We live in a society where no one has any personal responsibility.

Archived