FF tickets upgrade to Econ Plus

Denverite

If I book FF tickets with miles in Economy with United (DEN to FCO) I can upgrade to Economy Plus for $97pp. However, the web site states that particular seats are not guaranteed. Does that mean that when I complete the booking I cannot choose specific seats in Economy Plus. If that is the case I might want to stay with Economy and choose window/aisle seats since the plane configuration is 2/5/2. Guess I could call United but figured someone here would know the answer.

No seat assignments are "guaranteed" on any flight. If you want to purchase E+ access, you will be shown a seating chart of available seats before you purchase. You will be allowed to choose them now.

You will definately be more comfortable on this flight with the extra leg room.

You will be able to select your E+ seats during the booking process online. As 6rugrats stated, no seats are guaranteed as United, as well as most other airlines, can change equipment and flights up until your flight actually leaves. But once you are booked and paid for E+, you will get E+ seats. And I am a big fan of a few extra inches of seat pitch on long (as well as short) flights and think that is a minimum charge for added comfort.

Also, I’m going to guess you will have to change aircraft from DEN-FCO (probably in IAD) so make sure you reserve seats on both aircrafts to/from DEN-FCO. And last, please make sure UA has the inventory for using miles for all in your party. Don’t waste your time calling their customer service as you will not understand a word they are saying on the other end…

John

You will be able to select your E+ seats during the booking process online. As 6rugrats stated, no seats are guaranteed as United, as well as most other airlines, can change equipment and flights up until your flight actually leaves. But once you are booked and paid for E+, you will get E+ seats. And I am a big fan of a few extra inches of seat pitch on long (as well as short) flights and think that is a minimum charge for added comfort.

Also, I’m going to guess you will have to change aircraft from DEN-FCO (probably in IAD) so make sure you reserve seats on both aircrafts to/from DEN-FCO. And last, please make sure UA has the inventory for using miles for all in your party. Don’t waste your time calling their customer service as you will not understand a word they are saying on the other end…

John

Thank you! That was the information I was looking for. I know that airlines can change equipment and even switch your seat. You are correct that we will change planes at IAD. I just wanted to make sure I could actually select seats since when you book regular Economy you don't get that same verbage that no seats are guaranteed--even though I know they aren't guaranteed.

I too used frequent flyer miles to book an economy plus seat for a one way transatlantic on UA. I was able to "reserve" two seats even after receiving the message that you could not book a specific seat. I wanted to add one other thing that happened to me during the booking process online. I was then offered to upgrade to business class for $500 per person - something that I turned down. It will be interesting to see if you get the same offer.

I too used frequent flyer miles to book an economy plus seat for a one way transatlantic on UA. I was able to "reserve" two seats even after receiving the message that you could not book a specific seat. I wanted to add one other thing that happened to me during the booking process online. I was then offered to upgrade to business class for $500 per person - something that I turned down. It will be interesting to see if you get the same offer.

I remember your original thread back in July. I had never heard of being offered an upgrade for cash at the time of booking an award ticket on UA. I even called UA and spoke to several different agents, and none of them had ever heard of this. I now must tell you that it does indeed happen! I just booked two TATL FF tickets on UA, and after entering the credit card info, was offered an upgrade to business for both tickets. I didn't take the offer (it's for two children), but for the TATL leg, IAD-FCO, price was about $650, so your $500 was really cheap (I think it was from ZRH-IAD??). I have seen upgrades for cash, from economy to business on UA for TATLs offered at the gate, and it's always been around $600.

You were right, I was wrong! I have no idea if you can get it back if you don't accept the original offer.

6rugrats- I fly on UA about once a year. For the past 3-4 years I've been offered an upgrade for cash after completing the reservation, when I make a final seat request closer to the travel date, during OLCI, and at the gate. Of course that assumes they are available....sometimes I've had $$ups not offered at first but closer to flight time; other times I've seen a modestly priced upgrade get more expensive as time passed. Point is UA has aggressively pushed "cash for couches" upgrades for at least 4 years. Usually it's not worth it to me, since the flights are shorter, the step up in service isn't a whole lot, or the upgrade is very pricey.

6rugrats- I fly on UA about once a year. For the past 3-4 years I've been offered an upgrade for cash after completing the reservation, when I make a final seat request closer to the travel date, during OLCI, and at the gate. assumes they are available....sometimes I've had $$ups not offered at first but closer to flight time; other times I've seen a modestly priced upgrade get more expensive as time passed.

Yes, cash upgrade offers are common for purchased tickets. I was talking about cash upgrades offered after you enter your credit card information when you are redeeming miles online for FF tickets. Not the same thing.

On our ORD/GRU flight in July we used FF miles and were subsquently all upgraded to Econ Plus (5 of us!) for no additional cost. This actually happened on both legs of the trip.

There was also a general announcement before boarding in ORD offering upgrades to business for $600. However , since there were 5 of us , we decided not to take it. $3000 is a nice deposit for our next cruise!

I had become disillusuined with UA in recent years , but was quite impressed with them on this recent flight. All connections (to MSP and DSM) were on time , the equipment was in better shape and the FA were nicer , plus the upgrades . I was pleased!!

Kim

Yes, cash upgrade offers are common for purchased tickets. I was talking about cash upgrades offered after you enter your credit card information when you are redeeming miles online for FF tickets. Not the same thing.

Yes, UA had started this a while ago. It has really taken a toll on NC and NF availability (which sucks if you are me....).

But, they are finding ways to make a profit, which after all these years I think they are happy findings was to make money instead of loosing.

More will be revealed :)

John

Yes, UA had started this a while ago. It has really taken a toll on NC and NF availability (which sucks if you are me....).

But, they are finding ways to make a profit, which after all these years I think they are happy findings was to make money instead of loosing.

More will be revealed :)

John

Do tell! Now that I'm looking, I'm really seeing the NC0 most of the time, and it stinks! It's like E+ being packed with non FF because of all the upsells.

Archived