Welcome Aboard Photo - $20

Diggie

Just got off of Carnival Sensation yesterday and loved my cruise but wanted to know why the welcome aboard photo was put on an 8 x 10 instead of the normal smaller size? Is this happening on other ships as well? I know in the past I usually paid $11 or $12 instead of $20.

Just got off of Carnival Sensation yesterday and loved my cruise but wanted to know why the welcome aboard photo was put on an 8 x 10 instead of the normal smaller size? Is this happening on other ships as well? I know in the past I usually paid $11 or $12 instead of $20.

This has been the case on our last few cruises. They are trying to make more $$$ on pics. Crazy! I thought the same thing the first time I saw the size was larger and more expensive.

Its all about the profits. What they dont see is more people would buy the photos if they were a few bucks cheaper. How would they make more money...selling 1000 of the 5x7 @ 10.00 each or selling 100 8x10 @ 20.00 each. I dont think the people in charge of photos knows what they are doing. Welcome aboard photos usually dont look that great either so you would think they would give people the option in sizes so people with different budgets can buy the photos. Personally I wouldnt care to have an 8x10 welcome aboard photo...id rather have that in a 4x6 or 5x7 for a photo album. Now the formal night photos I understand the 8x10 size and the price I feel is fair for what your getting.

Last weekend our embarkation photo was a 5x7 on the Paradise... Last March on the Elation was also, but Oct. 2009 on the Elation was 8x10. The Splendor in Feb. 09 was 5x7 also. We do buy the embarkation photo...And did buy a Black & white canvas, that turned out absolutely gorgeous.

Here is the funny...I got a Carnival picture frame for being platinum on my last cruise. The size oof the frame is 7 x 9....Now another funny part....You can only see 4.5 x 6.5 of the pic....So what good is a 8x 10 pic going to do me....LOL....

Now the "really" funny part...Inside the frame they have their sheet of paper under the glass saying....Make your memories jealous.....How can this happen when I can only see 46% of the pic I want to put in the frame they gave me.....

Here is the funny...I got a Carnival picture frame for being platinum on my last cruise. The size oof the frame is 7 x 9....Now another funny part....You can only see 4.5 x 6.5 of the pic....So what good is a 8x 10 pic going to do me....LOL....

Now the "really" funny part...Inside the frame they have their sheet of paper under the glass saying....Make your memories jealous.....How can this happen when I can only see 46% of the pic I want to put in the frame they gave me.....

Lose some weight and you would fit.:D

dave

When people stop paying the price the price will come down.

??????. When does the price come down? I've been on several crusises, different lines, but have not seen the price go down on pics. Usually get the welcome on borad 5X7 and after that I can take them or leave them. Most of the time I do the pricey take them.

If the price keeps going up, do you reckon folks might start smuggling their own welcome aboard pics on?

Now you did it. You started the smuggling cameras on board argument again.

Seriously, can you not go to the photo desk and have them print a smaller one? I thought I have done that before.

I have yet to buy an onboard photo as I always look like the cat drug me in with travel, hotel rooms and general fatigue.

You can ask them to print a smaller size, some pics they say they can't but the majority of them they can. I got an 8x10 of my daughter and also had them print wallets for relatives.

You can, but first you have to purchase the 8x10 and then they will print smaller sizes. :o

You can, but first you have to purchase the 8x10 and then they will print smaller sizes. :o

Are you sure?

That makes no sense and all I've done is go up and tell the desk attendant I want this one in 5x7 (or whatever) and they accomodated. BUT maybe I'm confusing CCL with another line though.

They waste a ton of money printing out ALL the photos and most of them being thrown out. I'm sure that contributes to the high prices of the pics.

They should really implement some sort of digital storage to your photos. Either upload them all on a website and have the guests ordem through the website after the cruise or perhaps linking the S & S cards and have the photographer scan their card and then somehow being able to pull up all the photos associated with that card at the photo shop later on.

You can have them print different sizes. However you have to pay for the reprints up front. Don't remember if you have to buy the original first or not. It is something to check into if you want the photo in a different size. :rolleyes:

They waste a ton of money printing out ALL the photos and most of them being thrown out. I'm sure that contributes to the high prices of the pics.

They should really implement some sort of digital storage to your photos. Either upload them all on a website and have the guests ordem through the website after the cruise or perhaps linking the S & S cards and have the photographer scan their card and then somehow being able to pull up all the photos associated with that card at the photo shop later on.

Or, they could set it up so you could view them on your TV in your cabin and order what you want from there... That would be the ticket!

Are you sure?

That makes no sense and all I've done is go up and tell the desk attendant I want this one in 5x7 (or whatever) and they accomodated. BUT maybe I'm confusing CCL with another line though.

That's what they forced us to do on the Fantasy last year. :cool: Didn't make sense to me either ...

If Carnival wants to sell more pics they need to hire better photographers. The last two cruises DH & I went on every photo of us was left behind because the quality of the photo was sub par.

Honestly, I could dress DH and myself up, drive to a local landmark and take a better pic. BUT, Carnival photogs can't be bothered to take the time. They'd rather snap a low quality photo then stand and wait for another couple or family to walk up for pics.

Thirty to sixty seconds more of their time would equal $20 (or more) out of my pocket. Yes, I know there are 2k+ pax but how often have you seen a line--not 2-3 person groups, waiting for the same photo? I think if they'd slow the rush to get better results the cash would flow from the S&S accounts.

If Carnival wants to sell more pics they need to hire better photographers. The last two cruises DH & I went on every photo of us was left behind because the quality of the photo was sub par.

Honestly, I could dress DH and myself up, drive to a local landmark and take a better pic. BUT, Carnival photogs can't be bothered to take the time. They'd rather snap a low quality photo then stand and wait for another couple or family to walk up for pics.

Thirty to sixty seconds more of their time would equal $20 (or more) out of my pocket. Yes, I know there are 2k+ pax but how often have you seen a line--not 2-3 person groups, waiting for the same photo? I think if they'd slow the rush to get better results the cash would flow from the S&S accounts.

My group had a picture taken on the stairs. This was the only photo of the whole group so we had to buy it, but it was out of focus. The photographer took 2 pics and one was out of focus and the 2nd one was more out of focus.

Except for the group photos, I don't have my picture taken by to photographers because of the out of focus pic's, I don't want an 8x10 pic and I think they are too expensive. As for the embarkation picture, I just bypass the line.

Doesnt matter to me, I dont fall for Carnivals trap of these overpriced, unnecesary pictures. I dont even let them take one of me so I wont even be tempted. On a $20 photo, there is about $19 profit, so these are huge moneymakers for the cruise lines. How else do you think they can afford to throw so many of them away that dont get purchased? I work in commercial printing, so I know the costs associated with these photos, save your money and take your own pictures.

Archived