Completely freaked out...

Spoiledliz

Just took a look at the video that was posted on Facebook by CruiseCritic. (The "Cruise Ship Disaster" video) http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4082

I then clicked on the videos link to see other cruise ship videos. BIG MISTAKE.

There was one in particular that really scared me. The video that was being taped in a helicopter showing a cruise ship literally almost tipping over.

I would never cruise during hurricane season for this very reason but what are the chances of that really happening? And is that on small ships?

I have only been on 1 cruise, the Monarch in May. I never noticed that I was on a ship until the last night where I was kind of scared. The boat was definitely rocking side to side.

Are we talking Deadliest Catch waters that these ships were in?

:) You shouldn't worry. Conditions like that are very rare.

The ships change their itinerary so they are not sailing through hurricanes. I have had smoother waters during hurricane season than those cruises that took place outside of hurricane season. Hurricane season is also 6 months of the year... June-November.

I think the first one was in New Zealand, and the storm had nothing to do with a hurricane. I think the one from the helicopter was a ship with students on it, a semester at sea thing. Everyone was fine and dandy.

My first cruise we hit 15 foot seas in the Carnival Sensation. It was kind of scary. The funny thing was that there was no storm that I was aware of.

After we got used to it and realized that we weren't in danger of imminent death, it actually became fun walking around trying to stay upright. A few drinks seemed to help equalize the movement. Sway vs. Sway, I guess.

I didn't watch the video but sorry you are freaked out. We have cruised many times in hurricane season and in fact, have sailed around two hurricanes. The waves (swells) were high but the ship didn't tilt. The stabilizers on cruise ships are state of the art. Please don't worry.

Bad weather can strike at any time of year but if you truly are concerned, then I suppose you can lessen your chances by cruising outside of official hurricane season.

There was one in particular that really scared me. The video that was being taped in a helicopter showing a cruise ship literally almost tipping over.

I would never cruise during hurricane season for this very reason but what are the chances of that really happening?

That video is of a MUCH smaller ship (25 thousand ton) than even RC's smallest ships (73 thousand ton) in some VERY rough seas. As pointed out, it was not a cruise but a "semester at sea" in the South Pacific.

Rest assure that Royal Caribbeans captains will do everything they possibly can to avoid putting their ship, crew and passengers in harms way.

Just think that Oasis encountered 70' waves on her TA, the only damage that we have been made aware of was to the 2 front lifeboats, and they have even added new steelwork to the ship to stop that happening again.

The videos you are watching show very small ships in very unique circumstances

To be honest with you, what really freaks me out is whatching a tour bus full of passengers barrel down the highway at 70+ mph.:eek: I agree with the much more experienced cruisers on this board, it's nothing to worry about. But we can learn from it, maybe hang out in smaller rooms with not so much furniture when in rough waters. I will absolutely cruise again, I still feel it's safer than most land vacations.:)

Just took a look at the video that was posted on Facebook by CruiseCritic. (The "Cruise Ship Disaster" video) http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4082

I then clicked on the videos link to see other cruise ship videos. BIG MISTAKE.

I would never cruise during hurricane season for this very reason but what are the chances of that really happening? And is that on small ships?

I have only been on 1 cruise, the Monarch in May. I never noticed that I was on a ship until the last night where I was kind of scared. The boat was definitely rocking side to side.

Are we talking Deadliest Catch waters that these ships were in?

Spoiledliz - relax You most llikely have more chances of being hit with big waves in Boston than on a cruise ship! These happenings are so very rare the you most likely have a better chance of winning the lottery than this happening!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest with you, what really freaks me out is whatching a tour bus full of passengers barrel down the highway at 70+ mph.:eek:.........

What scared me was when we were in Montego Bay. Our van driver was passing other vechiles while another van was coming straight for us. We merged into our lane with just inches to spare. And she laughted and told us "don't worry, be happy???" Happy about what" Almost killing us :eek:. When it came time to get a van to bring us back to the port I can promise you we avoided her van and got into another one. Thank GOD that, that driver was a little more careful.

Spoiledliz - don't believe everything to see or read on the Internet. Sometimes things are added, deleted or altered to sensationalize things. We cruised once during hurricane season. The port we left from was closed during our cruise because of a hurricane (Rita). Because of the closure we spent two extra days at sea and visited an extra port that was not on our itinerary. We had beautiful sunny weather the whole time. As others have said a ship's captain will keep everyone, including himself, out of harm's way.

Go and enjoy your cruise. After a couple of cruises you will find that, while on the cruise, the last thing you will be thinking about is something you saw on the Internet that is, "if" you even think of it. There's a 99.9% chance that it will not even enter your mind.

What scared me was when we were in Montego Bay. Our van driver was passing other vechiles while another van was coming straight for us. We merged into our lane with just inches to spare. And she laughted and told us "don't worry, be happy???" Happy about what" Almost killing us :eek:. When it came time to get a van to bring us back to the port I can promise you we avoided her van and got into another one. Thank GOD that, that driver was a little more careful.

The scariest thing you are likely to encounter on any commercial cruise is the taxi/bus drivers on shore excursions!:eek::eek::eek:

You know that scene in Harry Potter where the Knight Bus shrinks to fit between two london busses? I swear that must have happened on several of our tours in May, because the laws of physics would not have allowed our safe passage any other way.;)

Archived