how competent is the medical staff? oasis

kassimer1

I was just wondering if anyone had to use the oasis medical staff and did they seem competant? This may seem like an odd question but we were on carnival valor in juna and our son fell and got hurt. He hit his head and couldnt remember the accident or anything like lying on the ground until another kid sat him up and he became aware. The nurse could not go to where it happened and told the other 15 yr old boy to hold pressure on his would and she would get there whenever she had a chance!! ok this would have been acceptable if there was another adult there but there wasnt - why couldnt she have called for help? then she refused to even concider that he may have passed out when he hit his head.

and might have a concussion. especially since the other boy paniced and helped my son to the elevator and my son said he said everything was going black. She actually yelled at him that he didnt almost pass out that it was blood in his eyes. Due to medication he was on a few years ago he passed out 2 times and knew what it felt like. he needed stitches in his head. he was very sleepy and slept that day away with me waking him every hour and he had a headache for a week and a half. they never told me to wake him every hour , thank goodness i have medical training and knew this already. We had the medical trip insurance so i would not have been upset if they wanted to send him to a hospital simce we were on the 6th day of a 7 day cruise and headed back to florida. My sons father has a heart condition and we are a little worried to have him on another boat in case something happens. so, if anyone can let me know if they had any care from the medical staff and how well you think they did i would appreciate it.

I was just wondering if anyone had to use the oasis medical staff and did they seem competant? This may seem like an odd question but we were on carnival valor in juna and our son fell and got hurt. He hit his head and couldnt remember the accident or anything like lying on the ground until another kid sat him up and he became aware. The nurse could not go to where it happened and told the other 15 yr old boy to hold pressure on his would and she would get there whenever she had a chance!! ok this would have been acceptable if there was another adult there but there wasnt - why couldnt she have called for help? then she refused to even concider that he may have passed out when he hit his head.

and might have a concussion. especially since the other boy paniced and helped my son to the elevator and my son said he said everything was going black. She actually yelled at him that he didnt almost pass out that it was blood in his eyes. Due to medication he was on a few years ago he passed out 2 times and knew what it felt like. he needed stitches in his head. he was very sleepy and slept that day away with me waking him every hour and he had a headache for a week and a half. they never told me to wake him every hour , thank goodness i have medical training and knew this already. We had the medical trip insurance so i would not have been upset if they wanted to send him to a hospital simce we were on the 6th day of a 7 day cruise and headed back to florida. My sons father has a heart condition and we are a little worried to have him on another boat in case something happens. so, if anyone can let me know if they had any care from the medical staff and how well you think they did i would appreciate it.

The doctors rotate on contracts just like other staff.

Someone's report about any ship at any time will not necessarily be reflected in your own experience.

That having been said, my limited experience with the medical facilities on RC ships has been very positive.

Anyone with a long-standing medical condition that could become "critical", should get the "go ahead" from their own doctor before cruising. The ship's medical staff is fine for things like bumps, bruises, sprains, cuts, and nausea, but I certainly wouldn't attempt to cruise if there was a fair chance that I'd need life-saving medical intervention. Think of the ship's doctors as a "Doc in the Box"....a basic medical walk-in clinic...they are NOT a trauma emergency room!

[quote name=Merion_Mom;26051177

That having been said' date=' my limited experience with the medical facilities on RC ships has been very positive.[/quote]

Agree. We've had occasion to use the medical facilities a couple of times and have been pleased with the treatment. From what I have seen, anyone with a serious problem is removed from the ship, either at port or by helicopter.

Sorry, I can't speak for 'Oasis' but I have nothing but the highest praise for the Doctor, nurses, radiologists etc on 'Rhapsody' :)

They have an ICU...where I spent time very ill and on a breathing machine with pneumonia. They do pathology tests, x-rays...everything.

And they saw to me quicker than my own doctor or local hospital would have.

Kudos to those wonderful, caring people :):)

Not a RCCL dr but on a Disney boat I thought it was funny the Dr. Did not know about a med called Motrin. He was not an American doctor. I also know from my sister trama nurse, any time you are at hospital and say you've hit your head, you are taken back right away! Head trama is very serious. Our neighbor fell hit his head, got up walked home then died few hrs later.

How awful for your son. Thank God that other boy was with him!

My father ALWAYS gets hurt on vacation. So he has seen a doctor on every cruise and land vacation he has ever taken. He has always had wonderful help. Except for once, on Royal.... He started in London on a land vacation, fell and broke his arm. Went the hospital and got a cast. From London they got on a Royal ship. My mom suggested he go and have it checked on the ship. The doctor on the ship was going to xray his arm. He got the machine all set up - right over my dad's arm...the machine broke and fell down on my dad - breaking the arm even more!

Kathy

I have to agree with OP that the nurse's response does not seem correct to me on several levels.

First, unless the nurse was actively managing a more serious medical emergency at the time the call was received, she should have come at once to the fallen boy's location to assess the situation. If she was indeed busy, she should have sent crew members to the scene to evaluate and assist.

Ships should have a triage plan to manage situations when the primary medical personnel are unable to respond.

A fellow passenger !especially a child!! should not be moving a fallen patient or administering first aid.

Secondarily, a medical provider who does not listen to and consider all information provided by a patient is running the risk of causing (failing to prevent) further damage. I would be very concerned that she was 1. either poorly trained -or- 2. extremely stubborn not heeding the patient's assertion that he had fainted. Had she taken an appropriate medical history statement (which it sounds like she did not), she would have understood that the patient could indeed recognize possible fainting.

Granted, this may have been an isolated incident...others may receive excellent care and attention on cruise ships...but...had this been my son, I would have been furious.

I've been fortunate to never need medical help on a ship, but have had a couple of acquaintances that have. On Monarch, one of our group slipped on the floor and twisted her knee during Quest. I cannot evaluate the quality of the care they rendered, but I know that the medical staff were there, at the site of the injury, within minutes. Had another friend who got pretty sick during our TA on Independence. I think he was satisfied with the care he received.

RCI says they have 2 licensed doctors and 3 licensed nurses on each ship. They have good equipment to treat and stabilize most medical problems, but obviously are not intended to be long term care facilities. As stated above, those with chronic medical conditions should consult with their doctor, and depending on the situation, RCI, before going on a cruise.

I am so sorry to here that your son had an accident and was treated poorly by a ships health care worker. That's inexcusable. I hope you complained and had your son reevaluated once you were home???

My father ALWAYS gets hurt on vacation. So he has seen a doctor on every cruise and land vacation he has ever taken. He has always had wonderful help. Except for once, on Royal.... He started in London on a land vacation, fell and broke his arm. Went the hospital and got a cast. From London they got on a Royal ship. My mom suggested he go and have it checked on the ship. The doctor on the ship was going to xray his arm. He got the machine all set up - right over my dad's arm...the machine broke and fell down on my dad - breaking the arm even more!

Kathy

Oh my goodness! :eek: Your father is just like mine. Every cruise we have taken with my parents, my father has had some sort of accident, although benign. We cruise together again in 7 weeks. Cross your fingers that we have a good week. :)

I am a nurse and I have spoken to many doctors and nurses who have done the cruise rotation. I have heard they do have an ICU and can handle critical patients. Now, I don't want to start any wars, but it seems the non-US nurses are not as skilled. I've heard this from doctors and nurses to the point where the doctor has to monitor the patient, hang fluids, give meds, etc. So, while the ship has all the parts, they may not have the right people running it.

And yes, the nurse was wrong not to respond to a child/teenager emergency.

If your kid has a history of syncope, you should probably have it checked out by a Cardiologist not the ships MD. The ships medical facility is not a Dr's office and you should never rely on them except a true emergency.

maybe i wasnt very clear. the syncopy happened 6 years ago and was due to a medication he had been on that was later recalled. he has not had a problem since. and he had been checked out had the ekg and echo done and it was from the medicine. We think he fell this time and struck his head. ( he is also clumsy) not passed out then fell. and it was a true emergency

The doctors rotate on contracts just like other staff.

Someone's report about any ship at any time will not necessarily be reflected in your own experience.

That having been said, my limited experience with the medical facilities on RC ships has been very positive.

thanks you.

Sorry, I can't speak for 'Oasis' but I have nothing but the highest praise for the Doctor, nurses, radiologists etc on 'Rhapsody' :)

They have an ICU...where I spent time very ill and on a breathing machine with pneumonia. They do pathology tests, x-rays...everything.

And they saw to me quicker than my own doctor or local hospital would have.

Kudos to those wonderful, caring people :):)

wow sorry you were that sick , but you have helped me feel better about the competancy of the staff.

Kathy

ouch, sorry for your dad

I have to agree with OP that the nurse's response does not seem correct to me on several levels.

First, unless the nurse was actively managing a more serious medical emergency at the time the call was received, she should have come at once to the fallen boy's location to assess the situation. If she was indeed busy, she should have sent crew members to the scene to evaluate and assist.

Ships should have a triage plan to manage situations when the primary medical personnel are unable to respond.

A fellow passenger !especially a child!! should not be moving a fallen patient or administering first aid.

Secondarily, a medical provider who does not listen to and consider all information provided by a patient is running the risk of causing (failing to prevent) further damage. I would be very concerned that she was 1. either poorly trained -or- 2. extremely stubborn not heeding the patient's assertion that he had fainted. Had she taken an appropriate medical history statement (which it sounds like she did not), she would have understood that the patient could indeed recognize possible fainting.

Granted, this may have been an isolated incident...others may receive excellent care and attention on cruise ships...but...had this been my son, I would have been furious.

I really was furious. thanks for your help

I am a nurse and I have spoken to many doctors and nurses who have done the cruise rotation. I have heard they do have an ICU and can handle critical patients. Now, I don't want to start any wars, but it seems the non-US nurses are not as skilled. I've heard this from doctors and nurses to the point where the doctor has to monitor the patient, hang fluids, give meds, etc. So, while the ship has all the parts, they may not have the right people running it.

And yes, the nurse was wrong not to respond to a child/teenager emergency.

thanks-

I have used the medical services on RCC, Carnival, and Costa, they may not be the Mayo Bros hospital but I found them to be fine.

Not a RCCL dr but on a Disney boat I thought it was funny the Dr. Did not know about a med called Motrin. He was not an American doctor.

I think if you gave him the non-brand name of the drug he would have known what your were talking about.

Archived