What is your favorite onboard beverage?

skiiergirl

What is your favorite onboard (or on island) beverage?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite onboard (or on island) beverage?

• BBC
    • Bushwhacker
    • Pina Colada
    • Strawberry Colada / Miami Vice
    • Mango Tango / Love Connection
    • Creamsicle
    • The usuals...Margarita, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver, Seabreeze, etc.
    • Martini
    • Champagne in the Champagne Bar and/or Wine with dinner
    • Bucket of Beer

skiiergirl: A Cosmo IS a martini, so you got that category covered. I assumed it covered apple and chocolate martinis too! (yummy)

Thanks for keeping me straight. I didn't realize that. Didn't think I had ever had a martini but I have had a cosmo so guess I have had a martini afterall. I am looking forward to trying a chocolate one.

the bikini martini sounds good too. Do they make those on the ship? (Do they call it that on RCL?)

How can no one mention Coco Loco's?!!?

They are even better on Labadee or Coco Cay and I was surprised not to see it listed on the poll. Gotta get the high octane ones.

Chris

Forgot about the coco loco. Didn't have room to list every drink anyway. Maybe I should have done separate polls since you can only list 10 choices. Maybe I should have done a "frozen / froo-froo drink" poll and a "non-frozen drink" poll. (and a "beer" poll and a "after dinner shooter" poll) Any other "specific" polls I should have done? LOL

Hey ~ why was this all the way on page 5?? Everyone has a favorite drink or recipe to share. Come on people..... I even got a recipe for water (by the way...thank you MikeNJ1109. I have not tried it yet, can you believe I am having a hard time finding hydrogen and oxygen at the local liquor store. Is there a specialty shop for such things?)

Come on guys....let's keep this towards the front of the line :D

skiiergirl: A Cosmo IS a martini, so you got that category covered. I assumed it covered apple and chocolate martinis too! (yummy)

A cosmo is NOT a martini. A martini is gin and (sometimes) vermouth and an olive. There are hundreds of drinks these days that call themselves "martinis" but it's just a lie (ask Hemingway).

Now over a century old, the Martini is a true American icon, undeterred by bad times or unsavoury fashion. If it's contents have been known to change with time, note it is only our taste which is spoiled. Rather, it's inspiration to classics like the Cosmopolitan, Negroni Cocktail, and the Bronx is significant. The Gibson, made with the addition of a cocktail onion, and Hemingway's Montgomery both create a refined taste, yet still borrow from the Martini. So too do the Vesper and Vodka-Martini's made famous by Bond's hallmark "Shaken, not Stirred". (Although not strictly Martinis in composition, one might add.)

But the etymology of the Martini is as mysterious as any other potable creation known to man. The British long assumed that the drink originated with the Martini & Henry rifle, used throughout the Empire between 1871 and 1891, while New York alleges the origin of the Martini rests with Martini di Arma di Taggia, an immigrant bartender who in 1912 invented the drink at the Knickerbocker Hotel. The story emanates from a taped interview with a man who had actually tended bar with di Taggia. But then, the drink's origins clearly lie pre-twentieth-century. Instead, di Taggia is often thought to have been the first to make a Martini using dry vermouth in favor of the traditional sweet vermouth. Even this, however, is unsound. The Dry Martini appeared in print on numerous occasions before 1912, with references appearing in US literature from 1903, some 9 years before. "American-Bar" written by English bartender Frank Newman in 1907, gives a "Dry Martini Cocktail" composing of angostura/orange bitters, gin, dry vermouth with a lemon twist, cherry or olive.

The most popular belief construes the Martini as a take off the Martinez, whose history (notably independent of the californian town) is equally as obscure. In fact, it so happened the first appearance of the Martini in 1888's "New and Improved Illustrated Bartender's Manual or How to Mix Drinks" by Harry Johnson, mimicked that of the Martinez (an equally neoteric creation). Indeed, the confusion between the two drinks continued throughout late 19th-century bartending manuals. Johnson's book also marked the first occasion the olive, a noted component of the Martini by today's standards, met the drink. He said "an olive or a maraschino cherry".

Meanwhile, 1894 saw the Oxford English Dictionary credit the only Italian vermouth maker "Martini and Rossi" (then Martini, Sola & Company) with the drink's creation. In effect, the company didn't begin exporting their dry vermouth to America until the early 1920's. Their sweet (rosso) vermouth however, was first exported to New York in 1867. According to Lowell Edmunds, an imbiber familiar to the subject, several Martini recipes in 1889's "Bar Recipe Book: Drinks: How to Mix and Serve" would call for both French or Italian vermouths. Throughout the 1900's, Martini and Rossi's advertisements stressed the relationship between their vermouth and the Martini in an attempt to play on the glamorous image linked to the drink. One ad published by the British magazine "Weekly Illustrated" in 1937 stated: "Martini and gin is still the world's most popular short drink."

The Martini compounded a revival during the 1920's, when the Prohibition movement marked the start of popular gin consumption. Neutral grain spirits were far easier to manufacture in comparison to the aging process inherant of whiskey production. And, at a point where vermouth was also in decline and dryer Martini's became increasingly popular, many wets (those who opposed the Prohibition) opted to drink straight gin under the pretense of a Martini. (Use of the name "Dry Martini", around since the turn of the century, didn't become universal until some years later.) When President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the act repealing the law on March 22, 1933, he celebrated with the first legal Martini - his Dirty Martini - two parts Plymouth gin to one part dry vermouth, with a teaspoon of olive brine, an olive, and lemon peel rubbed around the rim of the glass.

By the 1960's, bitters were no longer an integral part of the Martini, and the only vermouth used was dry. A "Dry Martini" indicated a preference for an even smaller amount of vermouth.) It was clear that by this time, the Martini had evolved. Now in it's hayday, gin remained the only unaltered component of the drink. Even this however, failed to last, thanks in part to the marketing of Smirnoff Vodka and 1962 Bond movie Dr. No (where vodka and gin were used together). Concern was spreading over the modernization of the Martini, as James Villas expressed in Esquire, April 1973: "I am a little shocked at the degree to which the Martini's components, preparation and garnishments have been modified or changed during the last decade". But the Martini's popularity had been nose-diving since the 1960's when health concerns spurred people to turn to light beer, mineral water, and white wine. After interest in the drink rekindled during the 80's the term "Martini" diversified. In 1998, William Grimes reported on grated chocolate and many other things, including oysters and marshmallows, floating in "Martinis". Robert Hess, author of the cocktail website Drinkboy.com recalls "In many cases, any drink that might previously have been called a "Cocktail", was now a type of Martini."

As Donald G. Smith first noted in the mid-1980s: "The martini is an honest drink, tasting exactly like what it is and nothing else. There is no sugar in a martini; no egg whites, no black and white rums, no shaved almonds, no fruit juice, no chocolate, and no spices. A martini is not served in a pineapple shell nor a piece of rolled up canoe bark, and there are no disgusting pieces of flotsam around the top. It is a clear, clean, cold, pure, honest drink ..."

compliments of www.drinksmixer.com

..with lime (Dos Equis is great too..but Corona my first choice) One or two evenings I will enjoy an icy Tangaruay and Tonic (not just gin...has to be the good stuff), but pretty much stick to the Mexican Beer..

Mitch

What kind of tequila do you think they use at Carlos and Charlies? Every time we go there my wife drinks one margarita and she all of a sudden becomes a Mexican conchita and she does the hat dance for hours. Must be some sort of local concoction that only they use. It tastes mild, but look out...you might miss your ship.

of the drinks listed, my wife and I ALWAYS have miami vice.

also....

OMG....what is a creamcicle?? I've never seen that. and how come it has no votes.....everybody likes creamcicles.....but in drink form with alcohol......where do I sign up!

zachnlucy: UH OH! SEMANTICS! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the history of the martini..., but I'm stickin' to my guns. If I visit a Martini Bar I'd rather have 20 drinks to choose from (and try) than just one, but to each his/her own!:D

Besides, whoever really invented the drink should be happy that it's lasted this long and has this many variations, right?

By the way, I agree to a certain extent: to me, a "real" martini IS gin or vodka, vermouth, and an olive...and this version will last a lot longer than its variations; but in the meantime, why limit yourself? Cheers! :)

zachnlucy: UH OH! SEMANTICS! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the history of the martini..., but I'm stickin' to my guns. If I visit a Martini Bar I'd rather have 20 drinks to choose from (and try) than just one, but to each his/her own!:D

Besides, whoever really invented the drink should be happy that it's lasted this long and has this many variations, right?

By the way, I agree to a certain extent: to me, a "real" martini IS gin or vodka, vermouth, and an olive...and this version will last a lot longer than its variations; but in the meantime, why limit yourself? Cheers! :)

a little knowledge is a good thing.

James Bond: "Vodka Martini...shaken not stirred".....

He may be British, but not so stuffy after all?

Our favorite drink still remains Bombay Sapphire (yes...Gin!!),and tonic. Or as they say in South Africa: "G&T with a slice over ice would be nice!"

To each their own....it is the trip of exploration of new things that is more important than the arrival. :D

Cheers!

To the purists, a martini is gin, vermouth, a garnish and nothing else. Anything else is a "martinot", including those made with vodka and vermouth. If you're a fan of the classic martini, check out Zigy's Martini Lounge, especially the message board. :cool:

http://members.aol.com/zigystar/

Allen

To the purists' date=' a martini is gin, vermouth, a garnish and nothing else. Anything else is a "martinot", including those made with vodka and vermouth. If you're a fan of the classic martini, check out Zigy's Martini Lounge, especially the message board. :cool:

Allen

Cute..."martinot"...:D

So poor James Bond needs to order a "vodka marinot, shaken not stirred"?

Hmmm....luckily for me I just order my appletinis, and cosmos by those names only....or else the martini police would have me arrested!! LOL :D

Variety is the spice of life, and the trip is far more interesting than the final destination.

Cheers!

To the purists' date=' a martini is gin, vermouth, a garnish and nothing else. Anything else is a "martinot", including those made with vodka and vermouth. If you're a fan of the classic martini, check out Zigy's Martini Lounge, especially the message board. :cool:

Allen

Cute..."martinot"...:D

So poor James Bond needs to order a "vodka martinot, shaken not stirred"?

Hmmm....luckily for me I just order my appletinis, and cosmos by those names only....or else the martini police would have me arrested!! LOL :D

Variety is the spice of life, and the trip is far more interesting than the final destination.

Cheers!

Archived