Be warned re Barcelona

Missus Makkem

I have white runners... :rolleyes: So it's not ALL women, and I do live in a big city.

I am not a fashion maven, especially while working out or touring a city. :rolleyes: I really don't care if someone cluck clucks as to what I am wearing... I do clean up nicely, however. :p

Believe me, no matter what you're wearing, they'll know you're a tourist! We never worry about what we wear regarding "looking like a tourist" because we DO!:D Shorts or jeans, hats, Sketchers and camera bag tied to my waist, boy we must really stand out but I don't care as long as we are smart and carry all of our valuables under our clothes.

The Roma - East European Gypsies - are targeting English towns now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1312995/Judges-attack-Eastern-European-crime-gangs-flooding-Britain.html

Unfortunately they now have EU passports so can move freely in any EU country such as Spain, Italy, UK etc, wherever there are easy pickings.

They can't even be effectively deported as there are few frontier checks any more.

Many of us in the Uk are despondent about this situation.

We really have to get away from the 'don't look like a tourist' defense method. Pickpockets don't look for white shoes, they look for hanging bags, purses, cameras, bulging pockets, etc. The fact that you're a tourist is incidental.

Good. Because I don't really want to buy new shoes. I looked through the catalogs last evening, and I don't like the black Reeboks. I have 4 boxes of white ones.

I will look like a tourist anyway. A resident of Barcelona posted on another thread a while ago that Americans tend to stick out anyway, because we are generally taller, (many are fatter) and we wear brighter colored clothes, and have things like bags and cameras. :)

Barcelona is a great city, although a bit "Gaudi."

Bottom line... be aware and use common sense.

very cute......very Gaudi indeeed!

Pickpockets are all over in BCN & also in Rome--most of them in Rome dressed fancy! In BCN we could not get near the "old synagogue" as little gangs in blue jeans were posted at each access point ready to swoop! not worth a confrontation!

Nothing beats my little jewelry pouch pinned to the bra--affectionately referred to as "The Bank of Bra!"

Good. Because I don't really want to buy new shoes. I looked through the catalogs last evening, and I don't like the black Reeboks. I have 4 boxes of white ones.

I will look like a tourist anyway. A resident of Barcelona posted on another thread a while ago that Americans tend to stick out anyway, because we are generally taller, (many are fatter) and we wear brighter colored clothes, and have things like bags and cameras. :)

The short thin bagless and cameraless Europeans in their grey clothes will have seen the Griswalds On Vacation movies so they know exactly what to look for.......

That's meant to be humorous by the way, we know that while we Brits may share a similar language with you in the US we do have a different sense of humor which you often do not appreciate.

I'm in Barcelona in December, and I'm freaked out!:eek: People are scared to go to the Mexican ports with all the reports of gang wars 1000 miles away. I have never felt unsafe in Mexico. But I feel unsafe in Barcelona, and I'm not even there yet...:o

Looks like I'll be ordering PacSafe bags. I have to get to my hotel on my own as well, and I'm even nervous about being in the airport alone.

Don't be scared, just be vigilant.

My 19 yr old DD went to Barcelona on a trip this summer with 3 friends. I gave her umpteen lectures on being careful about pickpockets - and she was fine but it was me who lost my purse on the trip from the airport to the port in Malaga !!! So you just cannot tell where the pick pocket will come from. I still have no idea who took it - I think it must have been the taxi driver. He only got about $50. I had remembered to put the phone numbers to cancel the cards on my ipod and someone from the Port let me borrow their phone to cancel.

Remember -minimum cash or don't keep it all in one place. Passports stay in room - but have photocopies. Keep phone numbers in different places - and use all the security wallets other folk recommend.

I love the idea of a mousetrap - and a false purse to trick the tricksters.

As a crewmember - I am constantly surprised at how people let their guard down while in ports. Like an older gentleman opening his wallet on a side street in Nassau and counting his $20's, or folks nonchalantly swinging their cameras/purses/what have you . . .

If you get the chance to see him on a ship - or check out his video's

Bob Arno - I know other crew folk will cringe (he is a bit eccentric offstage ;-) but worth the watch . . . and he'll often do a security based lecture when onboard - honestly, you won't want to use a credit card in a cafe in Europe ever! USB thumbreaders that scan a card as you hand it to your server!!!

Last time I worked with him, he went out into the streets of Colon, Panama and did a lot of footage with some of the native element there. Needless to say - I'll never stray outside the gates of Colon 2000 there!

(footage of Barcelona)

That made me laugh!! :D

very cute......very Gaudi indeeed!

Pickpockets are all over in BCN & also in Rome--most of them in Rome dressed fancy! In BCN we could not get near the "old synagogue" as little gangs in blue jeans were posted at each access point ready to swoop! not worth a confrontation!

Nothing beats my little jewelry pouch pinned to the bra--affectionately referred to as "The Bank of Bra!"

I wish I had more boobies. I don't think there is much space in the bra to fit much of anything... :o

The short thin bagless and cameraless Europeans in their grey clothes will have seen the Griswalds On Vacation movies so they know exactly what to look for.......

That's meant to be humorous by the way, we know that while we Brits may share a similar language with you in the US we do have a different sense of humor which you often do not appreciate.

I'm Canadian! I get it! :p;)

I am a big believer in Pacsafe products. I have been using their products for a number of years now and they are good quality and work well. For my point and shoot camera I use their metrosafe 50(digi pouch). You can wear it on your neck or belt. I prefer the belt. Along with that I wear my camera around my neck when in use with digisafe 100 (phone and camera strap). I never did like the hand strap that came with the camera. These are both new actuations and I did use them both on a recent cruise and they both worked well as well as the Packsafe belt I just bought.

I really like the belt as well. I could not find the belt on Pacsafe web site but you can still buy it online. What I liked about it besides it works well at keeping my pants up was the plastic buckle because I did not have worry about taking it off to go through security at the airport. In it I kept some spare cash as well as a copy of my driver's license and passport.

I carry the Pacsafe wallet in my front pocket and the chain helps prevent both accidental loss and theft.

I also have Tilley, Travel Smith, and Orvis travel pants and all three have concealed pockets that are handy to hide your valuables.

Shak

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=69

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=133

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=15

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Cashsafe-Travel-Belt-Wallet/dp/B002JHYJ5Y

Been to Barca many times. Never had a problem - so far:D:D. I do as the Spanish do and wear my shoulder bag across my front and if many people are around, I put my hand over the bag.

However, we don't go on the Ramblas or stay there. I have even read that they steal luggage from the lobby of Ramblas Hotels!! We don't go on the Metro and only occasionally on buses. The HoHo is the one to use.

The old joke is that you can tell an American by the whitest of white trainers and gleaming white teeth:p:D

Last time we were there, a lady embarked on the ship having been pickpocketed and was complaining bitterly about the lack of sympathy or assistance from the ship's officers. We tried to explain that this happens on almost every cruise and that it is not the responsibility of ship's officers. The staff had just said they were sorry that it had happened to her, but there was nothing they could do. She disagreed and said she would sue RCCL:eek:

That made me laugh!! :D

I wish I had more boobies. I don't think there is much space in the bra to fit much of anything... :o

I'm Canadian! I get it! :p;)

Here is your chance!!! Buy a cheap bigger bra and fill it with your valuables and make your own Bank of Bra. If you are traveling alone then this will make you feel more at ease?

We stayed on Las Ramblas and were fine. That street does not sleep but we had good windows/doors on the hotel. We were worried about our luggage but turned out fine, we had another steel cable to link them all together if we felt really unsafe. We walked from the Cat. Square to the hotel a block away with our luggage. The hotel was a floor or so above the street and so the luggage was not in an open lobby.

We stayed at the Pink- Hotel Continental.:D

We stayed on Las Ramblas and were fine. That street does not sleep but we had good windows/doors on the hotel. We were worried about our luggage but turned out fine, we had another steel cable to link them all together if we felt really unsafe. We walked from the Cat. Square to the hotel a block away with our luggage. The hotel was a floor or so above the street and so the luggage was not in an open lobby.

We stayed at the Pink- Hotel Continental.:D

Sounds like you stayed at the H. Continental Palacete...and yes PINK is a good description for their furnishings. However the drawing room is so gorgeous. Caring staff...at our first stay at the hotel, there had been a fishermen strike that closed all of Spain's ports (in and out going). We were checking out and couldn't keep our room, but there was no ship to board. The hotel was going to accommodate us at their sister hotel. What a scramble. In the end, the cruiseline made arrangements at a new soon -to-be opened hotel for the stranded guests. = All in all, I have good memories of BCN and am a cautious traveler. I am just as watchful with my belongs even at home.

Sounds like you stayed at the H. Continental Palacete...and yes PINK is a good description for their furnishings. However the drawing room is so gorgeous. Caring staff...at our first stay at the hotel, there had been a fishermen strike that closed all of Spain's ports (in and out going). We were checking out and couldn't keep our room, but there was no ship to board. The hotel was going to accommodate us at their sister hotel. What a scramble. In the end, the cruiseline made arrangements at a new soon -to-be opened hotel for the stranded guests. = All in all, I have good memories of BCN and am a cautious traveler. I am just as watchful with my belongs even at home.

We were at the sister Hotel, Pink also. It was being renovated when we were there last, so should be all done now. Upgrading the food selection to the Palacete.

We love Barcelona and would love to go back. Just have to be very aware and carry nothing with you.

Alright! I caved. I bought Reeboks in Gray....do you really think I am going to look less like a tourist in these?...http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-CLASSIC-NYLON-WOVEN-LABEL/dp/images/B0031TZW6E/ref=dp_image_z_x_0?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&img=0&color_name=x

All I can say is that they are not white. Personally, I think the orange stripe is a little obvious. :) EDIT: apologies, I see now that the stripe is "Quiet PinK" perhaps they will be subtle after all. :-)

Oh yes, I also ordered the Metrosafe 200 bag in brown (25% off this weekend on ebags) Just so all of us targets (excuse me, tourists) won't look the same with our pacsafes and non-white sneakers.

We will be cautious, but it is our first trip to Europe and getting ripped off would just put such a damper on a fun vacation. :rolleyes:

Alright! I caved. I bought Reeboks in Gray....do you really think I am going to look less like a tourist in these?...http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-CLASSIC-NYLON-WOVEN-LABEL/dp/images/B0031TZW6E/ref=dp_image_z_x_0?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&img=0&color_name=x

All I can say is that they are not white. Personally, I think the orange stripe is a little obvious. :) EDIT: apologies, I see now that the stripe is "Quiet PinK" perhaps they will be subtle after all. :-)

Looks equally touristy.

As a crewmember - I am constantly surprised at how people let their guard down while in ports. Like an older gentleman opening his wallet on a side street in Nassau and counting his $20's, or folks nonchalantly swinging their cameras/purses/what have you . . .

If you get the chance to see him on a ship - or check out his video's

Bob Arno - I know other crew folk will cringe (he is a bit eccentric offstage ;-) but worth the watch . . . and he'll often do a security based lecture when onboard - honestly, you won't want to use a credit card in a cafe in Europe ever! USB thumbreaders that scan a card as you hand it to your server!!!

Last time I worked with him, he went out into the streets of Colon, Panama and did a lot of footage with some of the native element there. Needless to say - I'll never stray outside the gates of Colon 2000 there!

(footage of Barcelona)

Saw bob Arno with his talk/show on a RCI ship and he was fascinating,so was his wife.

We didn't get pickpocketed there but we did get pickpocketed in Naples. I felt safer in Barcelona although it was obvious that there are lots of opportunities for pickpockets: sidewalk cafes, people on scooters, lots of street performers diverting your attention. You just have to travel defensively and don't carry all your money and ID in your handbag or backpack. You might still get robbed but they won't get anything good.

We have been to Barcelona many times and know that you need to be very aware of what is going on around you but it really is not any worse than any major tourist place in the US. The vast majority of the people of Spain are wonderful people--don't give their idiots any more credit than they deserve.

Hi,

I have been to Barcelona a number of times and we have never had any problems. We are vigilent and aware of our surroundings at all times. That being said I don't think there is a menacing vibe and we felt safe and really enjoyed our time there.

On our 1st cruise one of our tablemates had been pickpocketed and I'm sure every cruise has a similar story.

My elderly parents were in Barcelona post-med cruise this summer. My father tend to walk ahead a bit while my mom browsed the shops. A guy walking in front of my father dropped some coins on the ground, then bent down to pick them up. My father tried to walk around him but the guy kept blocking the way, picking up coins with one hand. Unfortunately for the pickpocket, my mother saw his other hand feeling up the zipped up leg pocket of my father's cargo pants. My mother grabbed and twisted his ear; he pulled away, falling and while scolding him, she clobbered him a couple of times with her shopping bag before he ran away. Yes, even at age 72, my mom is pretty feisty. Point is, sometimes these pickpockets will try to distract your attention, and before you know it, your stuff is gone.

Archived