no breakfast before getting off ship!

S.S.Oceanlover

Reference the post about almost literally being hauled out of bed by USA Customs with no explanation, it begs the question as to why anyone would be prepared to put themselves in the path of being treated like this? Sure, US Customs can do what they like, but if no one went there anymore, they would go out of business, and so would the cruise lines who cravenly allow this to happen.

Nope rather the cruise line cooperates with customs 1000% Thanks.

The good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the one.

BTW, UK customs aren't no prize either.

Reference the post about almost literally being hauled out of bed by USA Customs with no explanation, it begs the question as to why anyone would be prepared to put themselves in the path of being treated like this? Sure, US Customs can do what they like, but if no one went there anymore, they would go out of business, and so would the cruise lines who cravenly allow this to happen.

This doesn't really make any sense.:confused: US citizens who travel abroad will always come into contact with US customs when they return home, not just foreign tourists coming to the US. So in order for them "to go out of business," no one from the outside world would ever come here, and no US citizen would ever travel out of the US. Not even a remote possibility.

That may be the intent, however none, not a single one, of the procedures instituted by TSA does anything to improve our security from terrorism. These procedures are all window dressing as the political hacks who have run this cabinet level agency since its inception either have no clue as to what really needs to be done or have not the will to start performing real security checks.

TSA would also be much less offensive to me if they did not make up the rules as they go along. I know I will be challenged on this, but strong evidence appears every day at any airport that this is true.

Doc

Amen to that!!! I have said that since 2002!!! It is all window dressing. We have developed into a nation of paranoids.

It's easy to forget those procedures and policies are in place to protect you and the rest of the public.

They do have some strange procedures.

But they are doing a good job of protecting us from terrorism so cannot complain.

Gee, searching luggage to make sure every single purchase was declared so any customs money due would be paid really, really makes me feel safer and protected from terrorism.

Want to avoid taking off shoes or having lugggage searched to enter the country? No problem. Just cross over our Southern border as thousands do each week.

TSA would also be much less offensive to me if they did not make up the rules as they go along. I know I will be challenged on this, but strong evidence appears every day at any airport that this is true.

If you ask, they will tell you the rules are different at each airport to throw the terrorists off guard as they will not know what to expect.

Fact of the matter is, these procedures are in place for a reason.

I think it's fine, and yes, I've been stuck in customs for a complete search before, more than once actually (I must have a guilty look, lol). It sucked, but I know there is a reason for it, and support it.

Customs rules say in part "Restricted items include ....products made from animal or plant materials."

If this is enforced, the following would be prohibited from entering the country:

o Shoes, belts or watch bands made from leather.

o Newspapers or books, as the paper is from a plant material and may even have been printed using soy based ink.

o Wooden picture frames

We disembarked a couple of years ago from a cruise and when we rounded the corner to see customs there were 3 officers with dogs which they released on me. Dummy me, being an animal person, immediately started interacting with the dogs, petting and praising them as "good dogs" and it didn't even occur to me that they were checking me for drugs or something. When the dogs didn't alert on me I was then pulled aside and an officer went thru my luggage and then pulled every rose from a bouquet I was carrying and pulled each petal and leaf off looking for something. All the while I kept my cool and even encouraged them to do whatever they felt was necessary to ensure the safety of everyone. I was a little concerned that I was suspected for some reason but I figure the officers are just doing a good and thorough job. In the end, as I totally expected, we were told we could go and have a nice day. The question I have is....what did I do or say that singled me out? Curious.

Personally,

For example, I am a Gate Agent for an airline. At times, TSA will set up their equipment and do random inspections on pax before they enter the aircraft. TSA will tell us to tell the pax to have their ID's out ready for inspection.

So when I make my boarding announcements I tell the pax "TSA is in the boarding area and will randomly select pax for screening, they will need to see some form of identification".

What I think when this happens:

a) ThatTSA procedures are so poor when going through security the first time that they need to do them a second time at the gate.

b) That doing only random searches the second time means they have less of a chance of finding what escaped their poor procedures everyone had to go through the first time.

I was then pulled aside and an officer went thru my luggage and then pulled every rose from a bouquet I was carrying and pulled each petal and leaf off looking for something.

The question I have is....what did I do or say that singled me out? Curious.

Trying to bring flowers into the country is one thing. That is not allowed.

I am not a travel agent but was leader of a group of people leaving Israel returning to the States. We were all pulled aside and I was taken in an area away from them. We had all been given souvenier hats and maps to take home with us. I was told that everyone had to pull these out of their hand and check-in luggage and turn them over for inspection. Turns out the latest terrorit idea was to imprint with ink that would ignite/blow-up and so all these things had to be screened. You never know these days. What set off the problem was that everyone had pulled out the two caps they had been given but the sniffers were detecting more. Turns out one couple had somehow obtained 20 of the caps and didn't want the rest of the group to see so they kept lying about having more!:o

It's easy to forget those procedures and policies are in place to protect you and the rest of the public.

It's also easy to let it bother you if you are singled out. But, anyone that is innocent should accept it and appreciate the job these people do. I would be honored to experience it.

BS!! This very kind of thinking and attitude is why we've lost so much of our personal freedoms and rights to be left alone. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Rose

Yes, it's true that the procedures are there for "our" protection -- I guess.

But it was a sad day, the day the United States became a "Police State" in the guise of National Security.

Amen. That's exactly what we've become. And we go along with it like a bunch of sheep to slaughter.

I think I had heard of people taking pictures of their more expensive jewelry at home, next to a hometown newspaper with a date prior to the cruise, and keeping them on their camera, to prove that the items were in your possession prior to your trip.

Good way to try to prove the memory card in the camera was also bought prior to the cruise.

That may be the intent, however none, not a single one, of the procedures instituted by TSA does anything to improve our security from terrorism. These procedures are all window dressing as the political hacks who have run this cabinet level agency since its inception either have no clue as to what really needs to be done or have not the will to start performing real security checks.

Doc

You won't be challenged by me, Doc, cuz I absolutely agree. By the time folks figure out what's really going on and how much freedom we've lost, it'll be too late.

BS!! This very kind of thinking and attitude is why we've lost so much of our personal freedoms and rights to be left alone. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Rose

Go Rose Go! I'm a member of your fan club!:D

As to other comments on this thread, it's amazing to me that there are people who are under the impression that the customs agents are acting in the interest of public safety (i.e. anti terrorism). TSA, yes, immigration, perhaps, but as pointed out a few times, customs agents are interested in intercepting drugs and making sure Uncle Sam gets his cut of our purchases abroad.

This is what I keep saying!

Customs has nothing to do with safety. That is why their strong arm tactics are not appreciated, especially when the customs limit has not been exceeded.

Right there with you...

The lasting impact from terror is that society is willing to accept all sorts of changes WITHOUT QUESTION... many of which have nothing to do with REAL safety. We risk not seeing the forest for the trees!

What politician (interested in keeping their job) would be willing to stand up and try to reign in HUGE WASTES of $ if it was heading to a SACRED department like "Homeland Security"? If you question it, you are obviously on the side of the terrorists. To question is to be unpatriotic.

In reality, NOT to question is the problem!

Tom

Tom,

Thank you! When the twin towers fell, I literally said to myself, "there goes the rest of our civil liberties." Sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

If you don't, you should pre-register foreign made items with US Customs before you leave.

Easier said than done:

First time I tried this (JFK airport): Was told the only person who handled this was on the international side of the do not enter sign at customs. After persisiting that I needed to register an item, they did let me into the international area. I found the office and they were eating lunch. When I explained what I needed, I was told "Don't worry about it."

Second time I tried this (San Juan airport): Was told can't register jewelry unless it has a serial number.

Since then, never tried it.

Right there with you...

The lasting impact from terror is that society is willing to accept all sorts of changes WITHOUT QUESTION... many of which have nothing to do with REAL safety. We risk not seeing the forest for the trees!

What politician (interested in keeping their job) would be willing to stand up and try to reign in HUGE WASTES of $ if it was heading to a SACRED department like "Homeland Security"? If you question it, you are obviously on the side of the terrorists. To question is to be unpatriotic.

In reality, NOT to question is the problem!

Tom

we need to accept things without question. because i or you could not do a better job.what is real safety? politician also need to do the same as we do unless of course they fly their own jet. it is people like you who are the problem

bia

We disembarked a couple of years ago from a cruise and when we rounded the corner to see customs there were 3 officers with dogs which they released on me. Dummy me, being an animal person, immediately started interacting with the dogs, petting and praising them as "good dogs" and it didn't even occur to me that they were checking me for drugs or something. When the dogs didn't alert on me I was then pulled aside and an officer went thru my luggage and then pulled every rose from a bouquet I was carrying and pulled each petal and leaf off looking for something. All the while I kept my cool and even encouraged them to do whatever they felt was necessary to ensure the safety of everyone. I was a little concerned that I was suspected for some reason but I figure the officers are just doing a good and thorough job. In the end, as I totally expected, we were told we could go and have a nice day. The question I have is....what did I do or say that singled me out? Curious.

I have no idea and can only speculate:

These dogs are working dogs, not pets. It might have annoyed the agents that you were interfering with the process by "petting and praising them" rather than being calm, hands off, and letting them do their job. Seeing eye dogs and other similar working animals also need to be left alone and not distracted from their tasks.

That said, it is surprising that the officers "released" 3 dogs on you-I take that to mean they let them off leash. Or do you mean they simply allowed the dogs to approach and sniff you?

Archived